shape
carat
color
clarity

Buh Bye to the Halo?

E-Ring Setting: Halo, Plain Solitaire or Michael B?

• Keep the Halo!

Votes: 31 28.2%
  • Go back to the Classic Solitaire!

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Michael B All the Way!

Votes: 21 19.1%

• Total voters

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I vote to keep the halo - you will most definitely scratch your baby at least once with those humongous prongs, and I know how crappy that feels because I've done it. I take my ring off when I get home because of that. I can only WISH to have a halo like yours, with nothing to scratch my child with.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Laila, thank you! You know, we finally did CIO (Ferber method with checking in every few minutes) and it works! She is technically sleeping through the night finally! 8p-2a or 9p-3a! Then she'll get a feeding and go to bed until about 4am and that's where we still need work. She's harder to put down at that point so I usually (bad mommy) will bring her back to bed and she'll conk out curled up against me. :love: I wish I could freeze her in time right now!!! I don't want her to grow up!!!!! Yesterday I got teary in a restaurant holding her little body against me - I was just so happy! It was just the perfect day dining outside and she was sitting in her high chair...Grandma was there and my heart was just FULL, you know? Awwww....the little bugger makes me cry all the time out of happiness. Hahahaha, before I was crying from the horror of sleep deprivation! LOLOL!!!!!!! How is your precious angel? Will have to go to the baby thread in FHH!!! :appl:

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Vapid Lapid!!!!!! You're one of my favorite posters now after the MONOCLE pics!!!!!! Should I use the halo as a MONOCLE???? So brilliant!!!! :appl: You have the wittiest style of posting. Thanks for the input - everyone's votes are basically making the poll a three way tie! Hahahahaha! Tough to choose, even for PSers! This makes me feel better - I'm not the only one! ID Jewelry is closing for 2 weeks after today so I may make a trip down and put BOTH on one hand to post! Side by side!

It'll be an intergalactic war between all 3 settings!!!!! Fight....to the death!!!! Cage match!!!! Will the halo's sumo heft win out over Michael B's deadly prongs? Will the crafty solitaire freeze them both to death with her icy cool style? Stay tuned!!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
BLISSSSS, I missed you!!! Please post in the mommas thread when you get a chance; I want to know how you and M are doing.
I love your halo!!!! :love:

tigian

Ideal_Rock
You know Bliss, I had a feeling this thread would be created soon. I remember reading about how much you love your eternity band and often wear in in place of your halo and just got the feeling that a change would be coming around. :bigsmile:
That said, I love the look of the solitaire, especially with a healthy sized stone you have. I can imagine how spectacular it would look with your eternity band.
Although I love the Michael B and it does look great on you, I wonder if you would still gravitate towards the simplicity of your eternity band.
Can't wait to see what you choose.
I voted for solitaire!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Bliss|1309445530|2959047 said:
It'll be an intergalactic war between all 3 settings!!!!! Fight....to the death!!!! Cage match!!!! Will the halo's sumo heft win out over Michael B's deadly prongs? Will the crafty solitaire freeze them both to death with her icy cool style? Stay tuned!!!!

ROFL. Omg, please do this. :appl:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for the plain solitaire since you miss it and the get a couple blingy bands to dress it up on either side when you want to feel sparkly, the best of both worlds!

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
I love the solitaire setting. The reason I didn't vote for Michael is because I would be afraid that if I lost a diamond I would go nuts! I'm not sure if the solitaire band has little diamonds on it, but I love the look, its classic. :)

GL I can't wait to hear what you decide.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Solitaire - for sure! It really sounds to me that you want the solitaire setting. You've had both now, and I think you miss your solitaire!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1309450586|2959113 said:
I vote for the plain solitaire since you miss it and the get a couple blingy bands to dress it up on either side when you want to feel sparkly, the best of both worlds!

Ditto this! i love the way your ring looks in a solitaire :love:

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
I love the Michael B setting, but I don't think it solves your problem. It still looks like it isn't really appropriate for an active, poopy diaper changing lifestyle. With the size of your stone, I think it would look better as a solitaire, and it seems like you really miss the look of the solitaire.

If you do reset, could you put a colored stone into the halo setting? I think that would be gorgeous!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anastasia|1309463185|2959322 said:
I love the Michael B setting, but I don't think it solves your problem. It still looks like it isn't really appropriate for an active, poopy diaper changing lifestyle. With the size of your stone, I think it would look better as a solitaire, and it seems like you really miss the look of the solitaire.

If you do reset, could you put a colored stone into the halo setting? I think that would be gorgeous!

Ditto-I vote solitaire for sure! And you can stack it with blingy bands to get your fix. If you're still in love with the Michael B setting down the road a few years (once poopy diapers are done with :cheeky: ) then go for that one!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved your ring as a solitaire the most! I think halos are wonderful to enhance smaller stones, but let's face it, yours didn't need one! A solitaire allows the stone to be the star, and you can have multiple diamond bands to go with it, if you want. I am obviously biased because I love the classic elegance of a well cut diamond in a solitaire setting.

I think your stone gets lost in the Michael B wide band(s), to be completely honest. I think all the pave competes with the center stone. And aside from that, when Frankie had her mother's Leon/Steven Kirsch ring appraised along with her Michael B, he told her the MB had lesser quality workmanship than the Leon/SK ring! I just couldn't pay the MB premium knowing that. Frankie went on to have SK reset her ring and she tried to sell the MB setting.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote for either solitaire because I actually think it makes your diamond look bigger and more sonderful than the halo!

But I really love the Micheal B. Seriously dig the width of the band.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted for the solitaire :love:

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hey Bliss!!!

I vote solitaire, for all the reasons DS mentioned (her and I think alike, lol ;)) I just think the solitaire would look amazing with all of your FABULOUS bands, and you won't have to worry that your set is too fragile to wear on a everyday basis, like I believe it would be with the MB (although its beautiful). The great thing about this situation is that you can always reset again down the road if you grow tired of it, but I just think you'll love wearing a solitaire again-they are so versatile and simply stunning!!!!!

Best of luck with your decision, girlie, and keep us updated!!!! I'm so excited to see what you end up doing!!!! :appl:

halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo halo
:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd keep what you have and wait a while before doing anything. I love your ring and I also really like the others you posted (but I'm glad DS mentioned the quality of MB rings. That would be something to think about).

If you're looking for simplicity and not having to worry about having such a blinged out ring with a baby, I think a plain solitaire might be the way to go eventually. I wouldn't do anything just yet though. Wait a bit and see how you feel in a few weeks or so.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I voted Michael B. I think a solitaire but with diamond bands(or diamond setting) just seems more sophisticated. Halo's while pretty, seem more trendy and like they ARE trying to be a bigger diamond(the dreadful cluster look). Just my less than qualified, not very rich or stylish opinion. It's purely a personal choice.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I voted for a solitaire as well. I love the simple elegance of a solitaire, and you can always dress it up or down with your numberous blingy bands! ---way more versatile than a pave setting (Michael B) or the Halo.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
How about this:

Keep the e-ring in the halo.

Purchase a pretty blue sapphire or charming ruby for the Michael B as an RHR. Ze end, Bliss lives happily ever after.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Laila, thank you!!!! How is your little one? Oh that Michael B stone is around 3 carats! :love: The more I think about it, I think the wise posters who mentioned the micro pave may be right. The last thing I want is to worry about my setting. I like to wear my e-ring everywhere! In the ocean, at the pool, at the gym, in bed (I know! Bad!) and etc.

VapidLapid!!!!! Oooohhhh, demantoid!!!!! That would be so divine! So you think I should keep my monocle ring? LOL - thank you! The more I think about it, I should just wear this to death until it falls apart. But the way it's built (like a tank!), it's probably going to outlast me!

Divarose!!!!! LOLOLOL - isn't the nail polish HORRENDOUS? Heehee. DH bought me a ton of "natural" and toxin free nail polish at Whole Foods because I'm nursing and he's like, "You Must! Eat! Organic! Only! And by the way...Nail polish is toxic!!!" This was one of them. Only a man would pick a color like this and that was my test run. Me no likey!

slg47...My goodness, I have admired your ring forever. I know it's pretty new but it seems I have been staring at it for eternity. :love: All you ladies with classic settings have me feeling so wistful!

YSSIE!!!!!! Your ring is the one I truly wanted and wouldn't you know it? It doesn't look good on my hand!!!!!!!!!!!! I was heartbroken! I bookmarked your ring and stared at it all the time, dreaming up my new setting... you are so lucky to have perfect hands for your ring! Love love love. My first choice!

VRBeauty, I know! Poopy poopy all over the nooks and crannies! No bueno! You are so right about the band being more stable. I do remember being irritated when I had a solitaire - that thing would spin and flop around to the point where I'd type with it on my thumb!

swingirl!!!! Loooooove your ring!!!! Romance incarnate! Love! Thanks for your advice! We do miss the solitaire look. Something about it... just brings back so many memories. The way he proposed. How young we were (27!) and I just feel like I should have kept it in that setting, even though I made fun of the gigantic prongs and acme setting!

Imdanny, that is a huge compliment considering the fact that I think you have impeccable taste. Wow. Thanks!!!!

ChloeTheGreat - AWESOME screen name!!!! And cute dog!!!!! Awwww, thank you for the super nice compliments. You know, the halo is such a monster flying saucer it can handle my new eternity bands with 38-39 pointers. I put the eternity next to a solitaire of my size and it just couldn't handle it. I'd need a super skinny eternity or plain band... so you have a good point there!!!!

MissGotRocks, I also bookmarked YOUR ring and stare at it frequently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is one of my favorites on PS. Looks so huge yet is so classic, too. :love:

Mayk...I LOVE YOUR RING! But yes! Grass is greener! Now I wonder if I will experience DSS without the halo? The halo makes the ring a Ring. But since I bezel set my stone, I also feel like having it in an open setting will let me enjoy more of the sparkle! Ohhhh, hard to decide!

yennyfire, you are so wise!!!!!! That is a great idea!!!!!!! Little ones just make me want to keep it at home. But my finger feels so naked and I long for a simple solitaire more and more these days.

Phoenix, what a great idea! I kind of did a test run with a diamond of a similar size at ID Jewelry! He has a 3 carat in a very simple setting and side by side with my stone, it is hard to tell which is which. I always gravitate towards it when I go to Yekutiel's... something about a nice sized rock on a skinny plat band... just makes me think of time gone by... LOL...

rhbgirl24!!! I love your set! So uniquely lovely and regal. I know!!! The Michael B is so tempting!!!! But I think I'm backing away from it after seeing it again on Thursday! My brother told me it's just as blingy as the halo, so why even switch? LOL... he said the solitaire is the best because my setting is crazy!

hoofbeats, you are so right! I do miss the solitaire a lot! I think I miss it for sentimental reasons. We were young (Ah, youth!) when DH proposed and seeing it on my hand just brings back so many happy memories. I changed my setting before we got married and I feel like I might have rushed into it, thinking bigger is better. But maybe it's time to go simpler!

MonkeyPie!!! Noooo! Even a solitaire setting will scratch the baby? That is something important to think about! THANK YOU for the advice! I didn't expect it to scratch the baby!!!! Oof. I guess monster claw settings are out!!! HUGS!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Skippppppyyyyyy!!!! New mama!!!!! Sweet beautiful mama with precious baby bundles!!!!!! Squeeeeeee!!!! Miss you, too! Must post in the baby thread!!!!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Tigian, you are so intuitive!!!!!!!!!!! Yep, that was the beginning of when I started thinking about resetting! You should start picking stocks with your kind of clairvoyance!!!!! Awww, my bling sister! Words of wisdom, indeed!

AprilBaby, you are wise as well! I think eventually I will end up going for the solitaire. But this sure was fun and I can now rest peacefully at night without fretfully going through the Michael B options!!!

DiamondsOnly, I would go nuts as well!!!!!! Losing a stone would make me stop enjoying my setting immediately. I really love wearing my jewelry in a carefree way and if I had worry about losing stones, that would kill my joy!

Tanzigirl...LOVELY STONE!!!!!!!!! Yum! Thanks! Yes! I think you are right!

Violet3...Love your stacking bands!!!!!!! I do love me some nice bands! But yes, I do miss my solitaire a lot! I just hope once I reset, I don't go nuts missing the halo! I guess I will have to get another rock at that point to switch out!

Anastasia - I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!!!! Hehehehehe. For some reason, all the men I know IRL think my halo is too much. They all say the solitaire is best. I wouldn't care what they thought, but it does bother me a little to know that DH likes the look of a solitaire on my hand. Also, maybe he is getting tired of the all the attention! When we are out and about, women who look at my ring then immediately "case" DH to gauge his income, status and etc. It is quite funny!

thing2of2!!! I have always enjoyed your posts. So insightful and witty! Thank you for the advice!!!

diamondseeker, you have helped me SO much!!!!!! My other dream setting if I went with pave was Frankiextah's setting. It just blew me away. So knowing that about the Michael B craftsmanship is HUUUUUGE... thank you thank you thank you! I always wondered why she changed settings! I do love her new halo but I always wanted to know since both are sooooooo lovely... so lovey! Love your solitaire, by the way! It has tormented me for years! LOL

Dreamer!!!!!! How are you doing, lovely mama???? You have so much to celebrate!!!! Thank you!!!

mrssalvo, lovely lovely lovely poster!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Dani!!!!! You have great logic and reasoning!!!!!!! So smart!!! Yes, that is really a good reason to change things up! I think I would put a sapphire in my old halo setting and give it to my mom. Yekutiel made her the most gorgeous sapphire and diamond earrings.. they would be a perfect match!

Bean....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhh, it's so hard!

Zoe, voice of wisdom! You are a wise goddess, indeed. I am such an impulsive girl, I always want to snap my fingers and have the given result. But you are right... waiting is good! And fun! I would have saved so much money had I listened to your advice on so many other things!!!!

makemepretty - thanks!!!!! Yes, most people (men) say the same thing. "I like simple." Women seem to go for the halo more... it sure gets a lot of attention! But I also feel like I'm in a different place in my life and want a more "quiet" ring!

Jaysonsmom....YES! I think the simple solitaire will have more versatility...but may make me spend even more by going crazy on different bands! LOL

IndyLady...That is ze best idea ever!!!!! Hehehehehe!!!!! Yekutiel was like, "Just keep the halo AND buy the Michael B!" LOVE THE IDEA! Not sure if DH will go for it without some magic persuasion powers! Maybe for an important anniversary? :naughty:

Thanks to all for voting! For such a long time, it was a three way tie! Now, I see the solitaire is a clear winner - at least in the poll!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie, this is for you!!!!!

So my stone is a GIA F and very white/fiery - and the color of the stone in the Michael B is a D. :love: The solitaire is a lower color by far - but in this pic, they all look dark and yellow! Odd! :errrr:

But both F and D are looking dark and tinted in this photo for some reason! Maybe I didn't white balance, maybe it's the lighting or my cell phone camera! Ugh! It's the best shot I have, though! I was in a rush, sorry!!!!! Death match!!!!! The solitaire is in a simple Stuller setting - it is the same size diameter as my stone. Doesn't it look bigger somehow? I feel like maybe this isn't a fair shot since my ring looks so awful in this pic for some reason! :wacko:

CageMatch.JPG

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
A quick shot of my ring in its original setting - huge monster prongs! LOL...but I do miss the look.

Attachments

• BlissRing.bmp
    235.5 KB · Views: 469

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
You crack me up, Bliss. :bigsmile: I love reading your posts. You're so enthusiastic about EVERYTHING. :))

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bliss|1309657488|2960917 said:
MonkeyPie, this is for you!!!!!

So my stone is a GIA F and very white/fiery - and the color of the stone in the Michael B is a D. :love: The solitaire is a lower color by far - but in this pic, they all look dark and yellow! Odd! :errrr:

But both F and D are looking dark and tinted in this photo for some reason! Maybe I didn't white balance, maybe it's the lighting or my cell phone camera! Ugh! It's the best shot I have, though! I was in a rush, sorry!!!!! Death match!!!!! The solitaire is in a simple Stuller setting - it is the same size diameter as my stone. Doesn't it look bigger somehow? I feel like maybe this isn't a fair shot since my ring looks so awful in this pic for some reason! :wacko:

I'm guessing all of the rings are reflecting back something yellow but we all know they are beautiful stones!

I think the stone in the solitaire setting does look larger - it's not lost in the bedazzle of the halo setting. IMO halo settings walk a fine line. A smaller stone gets enhanced and looks larger with the halo setting but the size of a larger stone can get lost in the halo - KWIM? If you reset your stone in a solitaire type setting, you can always get another gemstone to reset in your halo setting for a RHR.

Good luck and please let us know what you decide to do!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I say solitaire all the way, but I'm a big fan of simple, classic, sleek designs. I don't like halos or pave very much at all. I don't mean to offend, but I do think your big and beautiful stone looks somewhat awkward in a halo and would be better showcased in a solitaire. Like others said, a stone that big doesn't need any enhancement.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
After seeing those side by sides- solitaire all the way! Wowza.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer the solitaire, but agree that a halo style is probably best for current situation. Especially when taking your baby to the park and you guys become more active. Sorry, but I don't like the Michael B ring at all. It looks a bit 80s to me. lol (sorry!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results