Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom law"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
41,990
http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/08/media/bruce-springsteen-north-carolina-show-canceled/index.html


Bruce Springsteen is the latest to shun North Carolina over its so-called "bathroom law."

The legendary musician announced Friday that his upcoming show in Greensboro, North Carolina, has been canceled in "solidarity" with those protesting the measure.

Springsteen and his E Street Band were slated to perform at the Greensboro Coliseum this Sunday. The roughly 15,000 ticketholders will all be eligible for a refund.

The newly enacted law requires individuals to use bathrooms that correspond to the gender on their birth certificate, and has drawn fierce criticism for excluding legal protections from gay and transgender people.

"To my mind, it's an attempt by people who cannot stand the progress our country has made in recognizing the human rights of all of our citizens to overturn that progress," Springsteen said in a statement.

Bruce Springsteen cancels North Carolina concert to protest the state's "bathroom law"
"Taking all of this into account, I feel that this is a time for me and the band to show solidarity for those freedom fighters. As a result, and with deepest apologies to our dedicated fans in Greensboro, we have canceled our show scheduled for Sunday, April 10th," Springsteen said.
"Some things are more important than a rock show," he added, "and this fight against prejudice and bigotry — which is happening as I write — is one of them."


Springsteen's decision was applauded by Ellen DeGeneres and singer Nils Lofgren


North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory signed the Public Facilities Privacy & Security Act late last month after the state's General Assembly went into a special session to push through the legislation.

The measure has been met with denunciations and boycotts in the weeks that have followed. Earlier this week, PayPal nixed its plans to open a global operations center in Charlotte, a facility that was expected to employ 400 people.

Springsteen is no stranger to activism. His music, colored by a working class ethos, often focuses on the struggles of everyday Americans. He publicly supported Barack Obama in both 2008 and 2012.

The Greensboro Coliseum is scheduled to host other marquee acts in the coming months, including a Dolly Parton concert in June and Justin Bieber in July.

Andrew Brown, a spokesman for the venue, said that no other performer has threatened to pull out over the measure.
"Obviously we're concerned, but this is the first cancelation we've had," Brown said.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
29,150
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

:appl:

Kudos for Springsteen.

Clearly we need another US Supreme Court ruling to protect the minorities from the tyranny of the majority.
 

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
4,660
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

From what I understand, it's not just about public restrooms. I believe the bill lumps some things together, which allows for various types of discrimination. I don't agree with discriminating against someone because of they are gay, but I don't agree with all-sex bathrooms either... I think that there were a lot of details associated with the Bill that have been left out by the media, so it's a bit more complicated than it appears on the surface. As far as the Springsteen concert is concerned, I'm sure that there will be a lot of disappointed fans (I've never been a Springsteen fan), but I give him credit for standing up for what he believes.
 

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
3,160
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

Pardon my French but this is about the stupidest shit I've ever heard. First off, it's not like you're forced to go to the bathroom in an open room. Just enter a private stall. I don't care who is in the private stall next to me. Second, how do they plan on enforcing this? Perhaps guard who collects a DNA swab or maybe a scanner that can detect a vagina? Or never leave the house without your...birth certificate? What a..holes. Sometimes I'm sad that my children will grow up in a world where people still think behaving this way is acceptable.

I don't care what else is buried in this bill. It's bullshit. There are so many areas where we need urgent action but NC chooses to open
a special session to pass this. :rolleyes:
 

Bayek

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 11, 2013
Messages
7,374
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

Yay! for Bruce... one classy guy who believes in fairness for ALL.
 

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
2,207
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

Good! I hope other performers follow his example!
 

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
1,475
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

Good on him!
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,763
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

I wish that he would've cancelled it sooner than he did just bec he left some people who travel to see him in the lurch. But otherwise: two thumbs way up. I hope that everyone cuts that state and any other state off that passes such laws


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

missy|1460207745|4017220 said:
http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/08/media/bruce-springsteen-north-carolina-show-canceled/index.html


Bruce Springsteen is the latest to shun North Carolina over its so-called "bathroom law."

The legendary musician announced Friday that his upcoming show in Greensboro, North Carolina, has been canceled in "solidarity" with those protesting the measure.

Springsteen and his E Street Band were slated to perform at the Greensboro Coliseum this Sunday. The roughly 15,000 ticketholders will all be eligible for a refund.

The newly enacted law requires individuals to use bathrooms that correspond to the gender on their birth certificate, and has drawn fierce criticism for excluding legal protections from gay and transgender people.

"To my mind, it's an attempt by people who cannot stand the progress our country has made in recognizing the human rights of all of our citizens to overturn that progress," Springsteen said in a statement.

Bruce Springsteen cancels North Carolina concert to protest the state's "bathroom law"
"Taking all of this into account, I feel that this is a time for me and the band to show solidarity for those freedom fighters. As a result, and with deepest apologies to our dedicated fans in Greensboro, we have canceled our show scheduled for Sunday, April 10th," Springsteen said.
"Some things are more important than a rock show," he added, "and this fight against prejudice and bigotry — which is happening as I write — is one of them."


Springsteen's decision was applauded by Ellen DeGeneres and singer Nils Lofgren


North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory signed the Public Facilities Privacy & Security Act late last month after the state's General Assembly went into a special session to push through the legislation.

The measure has been met with denunciations and boycotts in the weeks that have followed. Earlier this week, PayPal nixed its plans to open a global operations center in Charlotte, a facility that was expected to employ 400 people.

Springsteen is no stranger to activism. His music, colored by a working class ethos, often focuses on the struggles of everyday Americans. He publicly supported Barack Obama in both 2008 and 2012.

The Greensboro Coliseum is scheduled to host other marquee acts in the coming months, including a Dolly Parton concert in June and Justin Bieber in July.

Andrew Brown, a spokesman for the venue, said that no other performer has threatened to pull out over the measure.
"Obviously we're concerned, but this is the first cancelation we've had," Brown said.

I've always liked that man. Smart.
 

jordyonbass

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
Dec 6, 2014
Messages
1,904
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

puppmom|1460228714|4017342 said:
Pardon my French but this is about the stupidest shit I've ever heard. First off, it's not like you're forced to go to the bathroom in an open room. Just enter a private stall. I don't care who is in the private stall next to me. Second, how do they plan on enforcing this? Perhaps guard who collects a DNA swab or maybe a scanner that can detect a vagina? Or never leave the house without your...birth certificate? What a..holes. Sometimes I'm sad that my children will grow up in a world where people still think behaving this way is acceptable.

I don't care what else is buried in this bill. It's bullshit. There are so many areas where we need urgent action but NC chooses to open
a special session to pass this. :rolleyes:
Precisely my thoughts, how are they supposed to police it? It would be a big invasion of privacy that I am pretty sure is covered by one of the amendments in the US constitution as it is (as to which I am unsure, sorry guys but I am an Aussie and don't even know what our own constitution says).
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
32,446
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

Now I can go pee in the ladies restroom ?... :naughty:
 

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
6,246
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

Dancing Fire|1460278896|4017529 said:
Now I can go pee in the ladies restroom ?... :naughty:
yes. of course!
but remember..... in NC we don't have indoor plumbing, only outhouses, so maybe that's the real reason BS cancelled.
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
41,990
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

I think it is wonderful that he did this though I agree with ame that it is too bad it was such last minute notice for his fans especially those who traveled.

For those who said how do you enforce this new law you don't. It is making a statement that is all. A bad one but a statement nonetheless. Just like Bruce Springsteen is making a statement. Kudos to him :appl: and shame on the politicians who got this law through. :nono:
 

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
4,660
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

The bill was only in regards to public restrooms, locker rooms, etc. - private businesses are free to determine their own bathroom policies. Under the current law, a transgendered person may use the public facility of that in which they identify with provided that they have gone through a sex change and that change is reflected on their birth certificate.
The main concern is not the potential for having transgendered people in your bathroom - the concern was predators having free access to public facilities because they are pretending to be transgendered. For example, any man who put on lipstick and a dress, could enter a (public) female locker room or vice versa. The law was meant to protect the general public, not discriminate against transgendered people.
I have no interest in sharing bathrooms with members of the opposite sex and this is one of those issues where the needs of the many should outweigh the wants of the few.
As usual, the media has put their own spin on things. I get that Springsteen has the right to make his own choices, but we all pick and choose our battles. For example, some of the the gas we put in our cars (or Bruce's tour bus) potentially comes from the middle east, where people can be executed for being homosexual....
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
41,990
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

Momhappy, people do what they can for causes important to them. It would be impossible to act as a purist 100% for many things I think. We all just do the best (no one is perfect) we can so your all or nothing reasoning doesn't make sense or ring true to me. Good for Bruce for taking a stand where he can and where he feels it makes a difference.
 

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
4,660
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

^and I agree with you, missy, which is why I said that I give him credit for standing up for what he believes. I realize that many of us do what we think we can when it comes to our causes - I just wanted to point out that we sometimes pick & choose.
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
41,990
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

And I completely agree about picking and choosing as I wrote above. I would hazard a guess the great majority of us do just that. Me included. I am an animal lover but have not completely eschewed leather goods or eating fish. So yeah I don't really know anyone who is perfect when it comes to their causes 100% of the time.
 

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
2,207
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

momhappy|1460302063|4017619 said:
The bill was only in regards to public restrooms, locker rooms, etc. - private businesses are free to determine their own bathroom policies. Under the current law, a transgendered person may use the public facility of that in which they identify with provided that they have gone through a sex change and that change is reflected on their birth certificate.
The main concern is not the potential for having transgendered people in your bathroom - the concern was predators having free access to public facilities because they are pretending to be transgendered. For example, any man who put on lipstick and a dress, could enter a (public) female locker room or vice versa. The law was meant to protect the general public, not discriminate against transgendered people. I have no interest in sharing bathrooms with members of the opposite sex and this is one of those issues where the needs of the many should outweigh the wants of the few.
As usual, the media has put their own spin on things. I get that Springsteen has the right to make his own choices, but we all pick and choose our battles. For example, some of the the gas we put in our cars (or Bruce's tour bus) potentially comes from the middle east, where people are executed for being homosexual....
The predator argument is honestly lost on me. So a dude puts on lipstick and enters a women's bathroom. Then what? It's still illegal for him to asault anyone. He can't stand there touching himself. He bassically has to use the toilet, wash his hands, and go on his merry way. If he does anything creepy call security.

What about predators with same sex victims? I can't walk into a ladies room and start exposing myself to other women.

As always exercise caution in public areas. I just don't see how policing who pees where will make any sort of difference when it come to safety.
 

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
4,660
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

If the predator argument is lost on you, then there's nothing anyone could say to make you think otherwise - and that's fine. There are many laws put into place to protect us from potential harm. I can see the potential harm in allowing pedophiles to follow a group of tween girls into a mall bathroom, but if you don't, then that's your perogitave.
For what it's worth, the whole concept of all-sex bathrooms is lost on me. I don't see the need and I have no desire to share public facilities (like public restrooms or locker rooms) with members of the opposite sex.
 

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
4,660
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

missy|1460303601|4017628 said:
And I completely agree about picking and choosing as I wrote above. I would hazard a guess the great majority of us do just that. Me included. I am an animal lover but have not completely eschewed leather goods or eating fish. So yeah I don't really know anyone who is perfect when it comes to their causes 100% of the time.
Yes, agreed, and I never said it was an all-or-nothing issue. It would be nearly impossible for us to be 100%, 100% of the time.
I think Bruce made a smart choice actually. He chose the cause that would lead to a greater response and a greater amount of exposure - and it worked because we are discussing it here ;-)
 

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Messages
7,458
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

momhappy|1460304744|4017636 said:
If the predator argument is lost on you, then there's nothing anyone could say to make you think otherwise - and that's fine. There are many laws put into place to protect us from potential harm. I can see the potential harm in allowing pedophiles to follow a group of tween girls into a mall bathroom, but if you don't, then that's your perogitave.
Bullshit, pure bullshit. How on earth can you or anyone else know if a pedophile is following anyone anywhere? And this notion that this law is to protect against predators is pure bull also. It's founded in religious belief as are most of the asinine bull we pass in this country under the guise of protection.

I hate using public restrooms, find them completely unpleasant so having those places accessible to everyone doesn't make a difference to me. Those rooms will still be unpleasant to me. I've used all-accessible rooms in Europe and it's just something you do and life goes on.
 

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
17,986
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

Matata|1460311612|4017672 said:
momhappy|1460304744|4017636 said:
If the predator argument is lost on you, then there's nothing anyone could say to make you think otherwise - and that's fine. There are many laws put into place to protect us from potential harm. I can see the potential harm in allowing pedophiles to follow a group of tween girls into a mall bathroom, but if you don't, then that's your perogitave.
Bullshit, pure bullshit. How on earth can you or anyone else know if a pedophile is following anyone anywhere? And this notion that this law is to protect against predators is pure bull also. It's founded in religious belief as are most of the asinine bull we pass in this country under the guise of protection.

I hate using public restrooms, find them completely unpleasant so having those places accessible to everyone doesn't make a difference to me. Those rooms will still be unpleasant to me. I've used all-accessible rooms in Europe and it's just something you do and life goes on.
:clap: :clap: :clap: I agree, Matata.
 

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
5,348
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

Momhappy I can understand completely about that argument. But also add that predators don't just go after people of the opposite sex. Say the pedophile was male and preferred boys. The laws in place would not deter them. So instead of holding onto somewhat archaic laws, why not let people who are trans use their preferred bathroom, and let all of us as a society watch out for people who may be abusing the system.
 

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
4,660
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

Matata|1460311612|4017672 said:
momhappy|1460304744|4017636 said:
If the predator argument is lost on you, then there's nothing anyone could say to make you think otherwise - and that's fine. There are many laws put into place to protect us from potential harm. I can see the potential harm in allowing pedophiles to follow a group of tween girls into a mall bathroom, but if you don't, then that's your perogitave.
Bullshit, pure bullshit. How on earth can you or anyone else know if a pedophile is following anyone anywhere? And this notion that this law is to protect against predators is pure bull also. It's founded in religious belief as are most of the asinine bull we pass in this country under the guise of protection.

I hate using public restrooms, find them completely unpleasant so having those places accessible to everyone doesn't make a difference to me. Those rooms will still be unpleasant to me. I've used all-accessible rooms in Europe and it's just something you do and life goes on.
Um, okay. I guess my opinion is pure bullshit. Life goes on.
:lol:
 

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Messages
7,458
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

momhappy|1460315737|4017687 said:
Matata|1460311612|4017672 said:
momhappy|1460304744|4017636 said:
If the predator argument is lost on you, then there's nothing anyone could say to make you think otherwise - and that's fine. There are many laws put into place to protect us from potential harm. I can see the potential harm in allowing pedophiles to follow a group of tween girls into a mall bathroom, but if you don't, then that's your perogitave.
Bullshit, pure bullshit. How on earth can you or anyone else know if a pedophile is following anyone anywhere? And this notion that this law is to protect against predators is pure bull also. It's founded in religious belief as are most of the asinine bull we pass in this country under the guise of protection.

I hate using public restrooms, find them completely unpleasant so having those places accessible to everyone doesn't make a difference to me. Those rooms will still be unpleasant to me. I've used all-accessible rooms in Europe and it's just something you do and life goes on.
Um, okay. I guess my opinion is pure bullshit. Life goes on.
:lol:
Your opinion is not but your logic (the bolded part about pedophiles) in this particular instance is.
 

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
4,660
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

It was only part of my logic. I was using one example (a pedophile). The issue is actually more complicated, but if it's pure BS to some, then it's pure BS and not my job to persuade anyone otherwise.
 

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 18, 2010
Messages
4,267
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

Good on Bruce.
I am sorry for the people who travelled to see him, so I hope they have some compassion for trans people who need to pee!
I think the issue is actually less complicated than more. It is not about pedophiles, it is not even about trans people. It is only about the governmental authorization of bigotry.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,958
Re: Bruce Springsteen cancels concert in NC over "bathroom l

Sexual assault is already illegal. Public exposure is already illegal. Rape is already illegal.

If anyone goes into a bathroom and does any of those things, they are already doing something illegal. A sign on the door that shows a lady shape doesnt stop someone now, this law is suppose to?
If youre trans and are not planning to do any of those things currently, they go to the bathroom and go on their way. So, because of this, I do not understand how this law is trying to parade itself as a law meant for protection. It's a segregation law. If you dont like trans people, and don't "believe" them or don't like them, then you want to pass laws that keep them away from you. It's not hard to understand.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Something Blue
    Something Blue
    November’s Jewels Of The Weeks
    November’s Jewels Of The Weeks
    Upgrade to Five-Stone
    Upgrade to Five-Stone

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top