shape
carat
color
clarity

Broken engagement; $100K e-ring

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, he's paying. For a lawsuit. For a ring he'll never recoup the full price of. For the public paper trail that now marks him as a chump. For every time a future employer or date googles his name.

And if it's true that this was his first girlfriend, in his late 30s, I'm guessing alive and likes me back were the only qualities he was looking for at that point.

If they met in university in 2004, he’s only in his early 30s. It is not unusual to have your first boyfriend or girlfriend in your late 20s, especially if you are a bookish type and don’t party. My father met my mom at 29 and she was his first girlfriend. My brother is doing his PhD and has never had a girlfriend. (Not gay either, we asked.) These guys are the total opposite of those men who string girlfriends along for years but don’t marry. They don’t fall in love easily, and when they do, it’s total commitment.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He’s an idiot. BAd decisions on his part. Yeah she should give the ring back. Sucks for her. Good for him. If the engagement starts like this can you imagine a lifetime of being married to her? Even if she gets to keep it, he got off easy. A lifetime would be way more expensive. Hopefully he learned his lesson and will not be the dopenon a rope in his next relationship.

Gosh. Yeah, that, in a nutshell.

Let’s hope he either downs a few pints of common sense or takes some wealth management training before he procreates and passes his values on.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If they met in university in 2004, he’s only in his early 30s. It is not unusual to have your first boyfriend or girlfriend in your late 20s, especially if you are a bookish type and don’t party. My father met my mom at 29 and she was his first girlfriend. My brother is doing his PhD and has never had a girlfriend. (Not gay either, we asked.) These guys are the total opposite of those men who string girlfriends along for years but don’t marry. They don’t fall in love easily, and when they do, it’s total commitment.

I’m like that. My (now) wife was my first girlfriend and we had known each other for about a decade before I finally had the cojones to ask her out. I was 27 and a fairly bookish nerdy type (still am one actually). The fact that she may have been heading back overseas for good in a few months time after I asked her out was really the main catalyst (that plus I didn’t really feel like having regrets at not asking her out if and when she did move back overseas for good). Six months later, we were married. It’s been seven plus years since then this year...

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, just a test driver for cars on the UK show called Top Gear ;)2

That's sooo cool!! I love that show!

(Threadjack over. Back to regular programming!:)))

Last edited:

NZgirl

Rough_Rock
Premium
What a horrible woman, now if she meets anyone new they will be able to find out pretty quickly online what type of woman she is. Although we haven’t heard her side, it doesn’t read well. He paid for everything and has proof of that, plus she hasn’t returned the ring, which she has no right to keep. She’s probably thinking her only chance to get a ring that good. Not many men would cave to such demands, but I guess she justified it by saying a small wedding would occur. To be honest he should’ve called the whole thing off or atleast stood his ground, when she said 40k wouldn’t be enough for an engagement ring, mine cost around 8k USD and I thought that was a lot, I love it though ❤️

lagirlie

Shiny_Rock
I’m pretty sure he got out with a good deal. A divorce down the line from the greedy b would have cost him more than $100K I assure you.
Also, he is an attorney... I’m sure he’s used to a little debt (3 of my best friends are attorneys and each have at least $200k in school debt)

What’s another $100k :lol::lol::lol:

ccyk

Rough_Rock
From another forum, post #3 ...
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/a...e-sues-ex-fiancee-over-$100k-engagement-ring/

"He worked with the guy at the law firm they are referencing. He said the guy was an interesting dude and it was pretty much the first girlfriend he had ever had."
I know people in real life who had first love in 30s. They have been lonely for a long long long time. It was painful for them to see friends after friends fall in love, yet they are still single by themselves.

When they finally have the chance to find someone. They hold on to it, fearing to lose their last hope. They are fall in love madly and desperatly, with emotion clouding judgement and even common sense. They will ignore any red flags, even to the point of makeing excuses for the other side. It is just human nature in their situature.

They are being taken big advantage on if the other side has bad intentions, because they will do everything to hold onto their dreams.
They are basically making all mistakes teenagers will do, but with more money in it.
Funny how education wont teach things that really affect people lives, like personal finance and relationship. Many people screw up big time.

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
I know people in real life who had first love in 30s. They have been lonely for a long long long time. It was painful for them to see friends after friends fall in love, yet they are still single by themselves.

When they finally have the chance to find someone. They hold on to it, fearing to lose their last hope. They are fall in love madly and desperatly, with emotion clouding judgement and even common sense. They will ignore any red flags, even to the point of makeing excuses for the other side. It is just human nature in their situature.

They are being taken big advantage on if the other side has bad intentions, because they will do everything to hold onto their dreams.
They are basically making all mistakes teenagers will do, but with more money in it.
Funny how education wont teach things that really affect people lives, like personal finance and relationship. Many people screw up big time.

WISE. especially this part:

<Sad but so true. >

Funny how education wont teach things that really affect people lives, like personal finance and relationship. Many people screw up big time

< Emotional intelligence is not seen as a high commodity in today’s world. However, it will be seen as high currency as we evolve towards being more holistic people. Emotion is just as valuable as mental right now and logic. >
Peace.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results