shape
carat
color
clarity

Brilliant earth lab diamond

PM83

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help, I have tried to obtain an ASET scope however they stated they are not able to get one for this particular diamond. I noticed there is an optical performance on the gcal certificate is this reliable?

thanks!

PM83

Rough_Rock
9A0FDDFE-4505-4BCF-AC60-E5A476DE29E6.jpeg
this is the Light performance profile.. it says excellent across the board but not sure how reliable it is.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those light performance images are not directly comparable to the ASETscope tool, but they are comparable between grading reports from the same company, which is at least partly useful!

It looks like there may be a smidge of leakage (light areas) under the table in certain places, but I'm not sure if that is fine if the centre circle is just as light (which it fine in ASETscope). The HCA score suggests the angles do work together, so it might just be what the light performance graphic looks like in a decently cut stone?!

That's not much help I'm afraid... lol

PM83

Rough_Rock
You have been very helpful thanks! As I’ve been doing my research I’m realizing that there’s no one size fits all when it comes to diamonds and quality. I find myself going back and forth between the 1.56 and the 1.53 (with the shallower crown and shallower Pavillion) but interestingly enough the shallower stone has less light leakage. It’s hard to say which one will look better in person cause they both look stunning in the 360 videos, I can’t see either being a dud in person though but it’s hard to say without seeing in person. I will link the 1.53 below..

and this is the video of the 1.56 which I have on hold atm.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has the 1.53 got a mix of red and green in different areas under the table in the grading report 'ASET' image?

They're not the same as ASET so we can't assume green is necessarily 'wrong', but it does seem less consistent than the 1.56??

I can't get either video to work on my computer right now, lol.

PM83

Rough_Rock
So.... I took the chance and ordered the 1.56 but I’m feeling kind of crazy now thinking about everything that could be wrong with it. I am worrying about the “cloud” listed in the clarity report. I only see the pinpoints in the 360 video, but should I be concerned about the diamond having clouds even if I can’t see them? Will it affect the brilliance of the diamond? It is a vs2 clarity. I feel nuts for over analyzing everything and I can be a bit OCD wanting everything to be perfect. I apologize for all of the back and forth and being so irrational!

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I can’t see the video since you purchased it, but it looks gorgeous. As far as the clarity goes, it shouldn’t be an issue, but if you list the GCAL certificate number, I’d love to pull up the video and give you an opinion on the cloud concern.

Also, I know some people have had issues with BE, so they definitely aren’t perfect by any means, but my experience was awesome. I don’t recommend them for their settings or jewelry. I also wouldn’t recommend their layaway program and I would use a credit card over a bank transfer. But for loose stones, I think they are great.

PM83

Rough_Rock
I can’t see the video since you purchased it, but it looks gorgeous. As far as the clarity goes, it shouldn’t be an issue, but if you list the GCAL certificate number, I’d love to pull up the video and give you an opinion on the cloud concern.

Also, I know some people have had issues with BE, so they definitely aren’t perfect by any means, but my experience was awesome. I don’t recommend them for their settings or jewelry. I also wouldn’t recommend their layaway program and I would use a credit card over a bank transfer. But for loose stones, I think they are great.

Hi there! The gcal number is 292740011. Also I think if you scroll down in the link to the ring, the 360 video should still be available right at the bottom but I could be wrong. Thank you for your reply! :)

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I’m a dummy, I didn’t scroll far enough. But I did also look at the full GCAL certificate. I think you will love this diamond. I don’t see any clouding issues at all. It’s also a type IIa diamond, meaning no nitrogen impurities. It’s a more rare type of diamond, so a bit of a bonus for you!

PM83

Rough_Rock
That’s so interesting, I just learned something new! You put my mind at ease with my purchase. When I first saw the diamond in the video I thought it looked beautiful, but I tend to overthink and over analyze everything can’t help it lol :razz: As for BE, so far everyone I’ve spoken to there has been great. Fingers crossed the service remains good!

PM83

Rough_Rock
Also I know this is hard to say for sure with online purchase, but judging from the proportions and video, does it look like it will be a lively/fiery diamond?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was it this one?

Sorry! That’s my bad... the 1.56 with 57 table, 35 crown, 40.8 pav, 61.2 depth. Hca score of 1.5 2EE92CDA-79A5-4D5A-B04B-A843C803A079.jpeg

Should be a decent balance of white light and fire, I reckon.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I don’t see any reason why you would be unhappy, and I think it will be beautiful and sparkly. But, I also know this isn’t nearly an objective science. I love my stone, some people here might hate it because it’s not a WF super ideal ACA diamond. Luckily, there is a return window if you decide it’s not for you. That being said, maybe this will ease you’re mine. Here is a side by side comparison of my stone and your stone. I’ll include two pics of the colors mine throws out routinely. Note, my stone is considered an ”ideal” cut, your’s is “super ideal“; mine is an I, your‘s is a G; mine is an SI2, your’s is a VS2. I don’t put as much stock in the HCA but mine scored a 1.7, your’s a 1.5. All of this works in your favor ;)2 :lol-2:. We can get picky down to the angles if you want, but I don’t think it’s necessary.

I will also say that this is one reason I like GCAL, having this imagery on the certificates is so great, in my opinion, because you have solid light performance data right there. As labeled, mine is on the right and your’s is on the left. Very subtle differences. Like I said, I think you’re going to love it.
8B6F361A-453A-4254-9382-DDE1D4622A63.jpeg
066FFCBB-7853-470E-92C1-6D7585A0A0FD.jpeg 3823C0D8-C29C-4D03-8DC7-8A4C642526F0.jpeg

PM83

Rough_Rock
I don’t see any reason why you would be unhappy, and I think it will be beautiful and sparkly. But, I also know this isn’t nearly an objective science. I love my stone, some people here might hate it because it’s not a WF super ideal ACA diamond. Luckily, there is a return window if you decide it’s not for you. That being said, maybe this will ease you’re mine. Here is a side by side comparison of my stone and your stone. I’ll include two pics of the colors mine throws out routinely. Note, my stone is considered an ”ideal” cut, your’s is “super ideal“; mine is an I, your‘s is a G; mine is an SI2, your’s is a VS2. I don’t put as much stock in the HCA but mine scored a 1.7, your’s a 1.5. All of this works in your favor ;)2 :lol-2:. We can get picky down to the angles if you want, but I don’t think it’s necessary.

I will also say that this is one reason I like GCAL, having this imagery on the certificates is so great, in my opinion, because you have solid light performance data right there. As labeled, mine is on the right and your’s is on the left. Very subtle differences. Like I said, I think you’re going to love it.
8B6F361A-453A-4254-9382-DDE1D4622A63.jpeg
066FFCBB-7853-470E-92C1-6D7585A0A0FD.jpeg 3823C0D8-C29C-4D03-8DC7-8A4C642526F0.jpeg

thank you very much for your response. Ours look very similar in the gcal report. The fire in your diamond in the pictures you posted is amazing! I also browsed through your thread and just wanted to tell you your diamond and setting looks beautiful. I was also a bit hesitant with the 35 ca and 40.8 Pavillion after reading forums on here that 35 ca pairs better with a 40.6 pa but after seeing your diamond which has same ca and pa I feel more assured. These forums are great and it’s so nice to have so many people that are helping others but I find that we can get a little too hung up on the numbers. I can’t wait to get the diamond, will update you guys when I get it! :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will look forward to hearing your thoughts when it arrives! :))

PM83

Rough_Rock
Hey OoohShiny and Southernelle, the ring has finally arrived! I would like to post a video to get your opinion if there is light leakage and what you think of the sparkle but I am not sure how to do that any tips?! :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YouTube (if you have an account) or Vimeo are two options, IIRC, or you can post to Instagram and link the post here!

PM83

Rough_Rock
Thanks! The Videos aren’t the best quality and the diamond looks better in person than in video but please let me know what you think!

PM83

Rough_Rock
I noticed my kitchen lighting makes my diamond look darker, but when in other lighting or at the stores it looks brighter and whiter. The video doesn’t catch all the detail and brilliance that I can see in person!

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed my kitchen lighting makes my diamond look darker, but when in other lighting or at the stores it looks brighter and whiter. The video doesn’t catch all the detail and brilliance that I can see in person!

Diamonds that are well cut do tend to go dark in sunlight and sometimes under spotlights - it's something to do with the bright point-source lighting gives bright light return, which means the rest of the stone looks darker relatively-speaking. (I think!)

It looks like it performs nicely in the videos :) and if it looks better to your eyes (which it should, because binocular vision with two eyes creates more scintillation than a monocular camera) then hopefully you are happy with it! :)

PM83

Rough_Rock
Diamonds that are well cut do tend to go dark in sunlight and sometimes under spotlights - it's something to do with the bright point-source lighting gives bright light return, which means the rest of the stone looks darker relatively-speaking. (I think!)

It looks like it performs nicely in the videos :) and if it looks better to your eyes (which it should, because binocular vision with two eyes creates more scintillation than a monocular camera) then hopefully you are happy with it! :)

Thanks for your response! How would I know if it has light leakage just from looking at the diamond? Is that even possible to see with the naked eye? It looks good to my eyes but then again I also don’t have an “ideal” stone to compare to and I am also a newbie at this. Any feedback Is appreciated.

Thanks!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your response! How would I know if it has light leakage just from looking at the diamond? Is that even possible to see with the naked eye? It looks good to my eyes but then again I also don’t have an “ideal” stone to compare to and I am also a newbie at this. Any feedback Is appreciated.

Thanks!
One way to test for leakage is to place a piece of brightly coloured card or material behind the stone, then move it around to see if you can see that colour through the stone.

Bright colour is easier to spot than your finger colour when the stone is sparkling and moving around! :D

If there are no noticeable detrimental effects of any leakage, though (because they might be very small or only visible at a few angles) then that is a decent buy, I would say, if one has purchased a GIA XXX or other 'generic' cut (rather than a SuperIdeal, for example). :)

PM83

Rough_Rock
One way to test for leakage is to place a piece of brightly coloured card or material behind the stone, then move it around to see if you can see that colour through the stone.

Bright colour is easier to spot than your finger colour when the stone is sparkling and moving around! :D

If there are no noticeable detrimental effects of any leakage, though (because they might be very small or only visible at a few angles) then that is a decent buy, I would say, if one has purchased a GIA XXX or other 'generic' cut (rather than a SuperIdeal, for example). :)

I tried that out but I am not sure that I did it correctly lol. I have also attached photos (not the best lighting) visually from the photos is there any visible light leakage? I notice some dark areas but mostly from the arrows pattern so I am not sure if that is considered leakage or not..

Thank you!
D2B2FB7B-B7F7-4175-81F2-5457B9E359FB.jpeg CCB64223-D20F-4BC8-9646-36283BA22E76.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried that out but I am not sure that I did it correctly lol. I have also attached photos (not the best lighting) visually from the photos is there any visible light leakage? I notice some dark areas but mostly from the arrows pattern so I am not sure if that is considered leakage or not..

Thank you!
D2B2FB7B-B7F7-4175-81F2-5457B9E359FB.jpeg CCB64223-D20F-4BC8-9646-36283BA22E76.jpeg

Good photos! Diamonds are notoriously hard to focus on and get decent pics of :lol:

If you have a strip of coloured card, you could just lay it though the shank when it's in the box - then anywhere you can see the colour through the stone can indicate an area of leakage :)

All stones have *some* leakage, though, if not head-on then at other angles, but that is the nature of the beast!

PM83

Rough_Rock
Good photos! Diamonds are notoriously hard to focus on and get decent pics of :lol:

If you have a strip of coloured card, you could just lay it though the shank when it's in the box - then anywhere you can see the colour through the stone can indicate an area of leakage :)

All stones have *some* leakage, though, if not head-on then at other angles, but that is the nature of the beast!

It took me a few tries to get a decent photo showing the arrows lol. Thank you for the card tip! So I used a green coloured card and head on from the top I could not notice the green at all but when I flipped the ring over I could see the green reflecting through the Pavillion :( is that not as bad as if I were able to see it head on and through the table!?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It took me a few tries to get a decent photo showing the arrows lol. Thank you for the card tip! So I used a green coloured card and head on from the top I could not notice the green at all but when I flipped the ring over I could see the green reflecting through the Pavillion :( is that not as bad as if I were able to see it head on and through the table!?

When you say 'flipped over', do you mean you are now looking from the bottom of the ring? or the side?

(Most) Diamonds are cut to reflect from the top hemisphere, so seeing through the stone from the bottom hemisphere is to be expected ;)) :D

No leakage visible from the top is what you want! :)

PM83

Rough_Rock
When you say 'flipped over', do you mean you are now looking from the bottom of the ring? or the side?

(Most) Diamonds are cut to reflect from the top hemisphere, so seeing through the stone from the bottom hemisphere is to be expected ;)) :D

No leakage visible from the top is what you want! :)

Thanks for your response! And by “flip” I meant I put the ring upside down and looked at it from the bottom (Pavillion) which is where I noticed the green reflections. But I did not notice any green at all from normal head on view so that is good! Makes me feel much more assured lol. Just out of curiosity, do some stones leak and show the colour from head on angle ? :/

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your response! And by “flip” I meant I put the ring upside down and looked at it from the bottom (Pavillion) which is where I noticed the green reflections. But I did not notice any green at all from normal head on view so that is good! Makes me feel much more assured lol. Just out of curiosity, do some stones leak and show the colour from head on angle ? :/

Short answer - yes.

See the large table of different crown/pavilion angle combos that Garry H posted just the other day, with ASETscope and IdealScope images showing areas of white/black (leakage)!

PM83

Rough_Rock
Short answer - yes.

See the large table of different crown/pavilion angle combos that Garry H posted just the other day, with ASETscope and IdealScope images showing areas of white/black (leakage)!

I went on his page and went through some forums but I could not find it. Do you mind sending me the link? I’d like to check it out. Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results