shape
carat
color
clarity

Bridesmaid needs time to lose weight...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
I had a similar situation for my wedding...my SIL asked me to order the dress 2 sizes bigger than the size she was wearing at the time because she was planning on trying to GAIN that much weight before the wedding (overcoming an eating disorder). So we ordered a 6. She did, indeed, gain almost 20 lbs before the wedding but the 6 was still too big. But not a problem, we had the seamstress take it in and it ended up looking fantastic!

I agree that it''s much easier to take a dress in than it is to make it bigger. Maybe order it at a size that''s in between where she is now and where she wants to be? That way if she loses a dramatic amount before the wedding, the dress could be altered down and won''t look off. Or order it in today''s size, depending on what she thinks is best.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 1:38:55 PM
Author: HOUMedGal
I had a similar situation for my wedding...my SIL asked me to order the dress 2 sizes bigger than the size she was wearing at the time because she was planning on trying to GAIN that much weight before the wedding (overcoming an eating disorder). So we ordered a 6. She did, indeed, gain almost 20 lbs before the wedding but the 6 was still too big. But not a problem, we had the seamstress take it in and it ended up looking fantastic!

I agree that it's much easier to take a dress in than it is to make it bigger. Maybe order it at a size that's in between where she is now and where she wants to be? That way if she loses a dramatic amount before the wedding, the dress could be altered down and won't look off. Or order it in today's size, depending on what she thinks is best.
I think that that is the only thing I can do right now. She is so against ordering an 18 when she KNOWS she will lose the weight (I know....it's a risk) and in the time it takes the dress to get here, she will have lost many lbs but I'm still hoping she'll order her present size (ok...MAYBE one size lower just to assume she will at least lose 1 dress size) and she'll consider having it taken in. I'm just hoping we can find a seamstress who can totally reshape an AA dress. I'm going on the Knot now in her area (Arkansas) to see if there are any reputable seamstresses so we can know ahead of time.

It seems that the complication lies in the fact that dress sizes are not street sizes so whose to say that a size 8 alfred angelo is a size 8 in jeans? (It probably isn't) And how would SHE know what she aims her MEASUREMENTS (not her size) to be in 6 months? I don't know that she has measured herself at her goal weight.....probably just weighed herself y'know?

So therin lies the danger. And my present tricky situation. I'm about 2 seconds from giving up on the whole issue....just letting her order in 2 months, pay a rush fee, and have pre-scheduled alterations appointments.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
If it makes you feel any better, a decent seamstress can make a dress bigger, depending on the style and the situation. Two of my bridesmaids were too big for the largest size that my J. Crew bridesmaid dresses came in, and didn''t figure it out until about a week before the wedding (one was flying in from Korea so she hadn''t ever seen the dress until a week before). It was a little easier because the dresses were relatively simple and black, but both of them had seamstresses who found solutions, and their dresses fit beautifully on the day of and you can''t tell in any of my wedding pictures that they had axtra fabric added.

Anyway, that''s obviously not an ideal solution, but I just wanted to reassure you that it can be done if asbolutely necessary, especially since it sounds like you are not super-picky about all of them looking exactly the same.

Good luck!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 2:20:01 PM
Author: So_happy
It seems that the complication lies in the fact that dress sizes are not street sizes so whose to say that a size 8 alfred angelo is a size 8 in jeans? (It probably isn''t) And how would SHE know what she aims her MEASUREMENTS (not her size) to be in 6 months? I don''t know that she has measured herself at her goal weight.....probably just weighed herself y''know?

So therin lies the danger. And my present tricky situation. I''m about 2 seconds from giving up on the whole issue....just letting her order in 2 months, pay a rush fee, and have pre-scheduled alterations appointments.
It DEFINITELY ISN''T!!! I spent 2 hours in an AA store a few weeks ago and while I was dismayed by the bridal sizing, the gaggle of bridesmaids in the room next to mine were finding out the same things about the BM dresses.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results