shape
carat
color
clarity

Break in diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lonestar66

Rough_Rock
I just got a diamond engagement ring five days ago. It''s a .86 oval diamond in a 6 prong setting with Pave set diamonds down the side. Last night I noticed a horizontal line across the middle of the diamond (viewed from the table). I did not notice this before. Depending on how I turn the diamond, sometimes the line looks dark, other times it looks like a glass color, and other times I see two black spots. No matter what it''s always there, right above the 2 prongs at one end of the oval, but near the center. No matter which way I turn the diamond, it stays in the same place. It is not the refelction of the girdle. Like I said, I''m viewing it from the table. Is this a break in the diamond? Or is it some type of reflection from the setting below? I''m bringing it to another jewleler today before I bring it back, but I want to know what everyone here thinks. This is not normal, right?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Could it be a bow tie? From where you are saying it is, that is the best guess I have...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lonestar66

Rough_Rock
No, it does not look like a bowtie. It''s a straight line. I looked at it through a piece of white copy paper (like the other thread suggested) and it''s still there.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 11:12:25 AM
Author: Lonestar66
No, it does not look like a bowtie. It's a straight line. I looked at it through a piece of white copy paper (like the other thread suggested) and it's still there.
Hmmm, well then, I think it's best you're taking it to someone else to look at it. Please let us know what they say!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif

Hard to say, it could be an inclusion such as a feather you are seeing. Often inclusions can only be seen at certain angles or can appear different at various angles. The black spots could be reflecting from elsewhere in the diamond, sometimes inclusions can reflect as an illusion. I think your best bet is to see an expert, could be nothing to worry about, but it will put your mind at ease. It is common to suddenly notice an inclusion in a diamond, then your eye automatically goes there in future and you can't remember if it was always there or not!
40.gif
It is also possible there might be some polishing compound stuck to the diamond and or setting and this is reflecting with the spots. Please let us know how you get on! Also what is the clarity of this diamond and who did the grading report?

Lonestar66

Rough_Rock
My fiance did not get a grading report. I''ve been discussing this with him for 3 days because he also did not get the quality of diamond that he paid for. I''ve priced this diamond online for $3000 less. The jewelry store cut the diamond themselves. They say it''s a .86, F color, SI1. They told him it was the "rolls royce" of diamonds. I do not know the cut. They did give him an appraisal and all they put for cut was "oval." The polish and symetry were "good." He also paid exactly what it was appraised for. I''ve always seen appraisals for more than what the actual price was. I''m really surprised at all this, because this is a very reputable place.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 11:52:54 AM
My fiance did not get a grading report. I''ve been discussing this with him for 3 days because he also did not get the quality of diamond that he paid for. I''ve priced this diamond online for $3000 less. The jewelry store cut the diamond themselves. They say it''s a .86, F color, SI1. They told him it was the ''rolls royce'' of diamonds. I do not know the cut. They did give him an appraisal and all they put for cut was ''oval.'' The polish and symetry were ''good.'' He also paid exactly what it was appraised for. I''ve always seen appraisals for more than what the actual price was. I''m really surprised at all this, because this is a very reputable place.
I dunno - using smarmy catch phrases like "this is the rolls royce of...." is incongruent with "reputable" IMO LOL I''d return it if possile and buy elsewhere and consider this a learning experience. I hope its not too late!!!

Lonestar66

Rough_Rock
I agree. "Rolls Royce" is something he never should have said, but my fiance knew nothing about diamonds. The store has a 30 day money back guarantee, so there''s no problem returning it. I want to return it anyway, because it''s not a $6200 diamond (and that''s just what he paid for the diamond, not the ring.) I just got back from a local jewelry store where they looked at it quickly. They couldn''t do a written appraisal because they were too busy and said it takes days anyway, but he said the line across the center is because of the cut. He said it''s the way the facets are reflecting light. I told him the place gave no GIA report and he was surprised, said "they should have known better" not to sell a diamond without a grading report seeing who they are. He looked through his eye scope thing and said he could easily see the inclusions. That''s the only information I could get this quickly.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My advice is to return it and start over. You can get an ideal cut GIA or AGS certified stone from one of these vendors and pay a fair price. I wouldn''t deal with a jeweler who misrepresents a stone, period. He''s not getting the stone certified because he doesn''t want the stone''s true specs to be known. I got my new diamonds from Good Old Gold, and I highly recommend them. I''d also look at WhiteFlash''s "A Cut Above" stones as well.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 1:40:01 PM
The store has a 30 day money back guarantee, so there''s no problem returning it.
I do hope you don''t have any problems, but please don''t assume it''s a shoe in.

Before the ring I have now, I too bought a diamond ring from a "reputable" jeweler, been in business 30 years, etc. My stone developed "issues" in less than two weeks of having it. Very questionable issues. I called the store (an hour away) to tell them I''d be returning it. They too had a 30 day money back garuantee, stated on their website.

Upon arriving to return it, I had to explain everything twice more, and no one was moving to write me a check. They did offer me a different stone at a grade higher clarity. I declined. Still no movement. Voices were raised, not ours...I finally had to remind them of their policy, to which one of the owners softly chuckled and said they might have to revise that...

The check was finally written and handed over, at which point they offered me a stone 3/4 of a ct. larger than my original, for the same price. I declined again. We left. By the time we got home, their entire return policy was gone from their website.
38.gif

This is a longwinded way of saying, please don''t assume anything, and in the event you would have trouble, hold your ground, you are within your rights.

And good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I would return it for a refund and start over, please let us know how you get on.

sistagrl2004

Shiny_Rock
Sad to say, but you should DEFINATELY start over! IS it within its return period?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results