shape
carat
color
clarity

Branded Diamonds

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hello, PSers! Question for you: I have the opportunity to have my recuts become branded stones. Please share your thoughts. Is there any downside?

Reactions: AV_

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, PSers! Question for you: I have the opportunity to have my recuts become branded stones. Please share your thoughts. Is there any downside?

How does that work? You still keep your diamond but cut to the branded proportions?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hi, @Mlh Without getting into all the logistics, essentially yes.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock

The only downside I would say is a cost to have your stones become branded. You got your stones recut so they have excellent performance. Personally I wouldn't bother makes no difference to slap a badge on them.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
The only downside I would say is a cost to have your stones become branded. You got your stones recut so they have excellent performance. Personally I wouldn't bother makes no difference to slap a badge on them.

@jp201845 Thanks for your input... that's what my husband said. But I do feel that they are not just AGS0 stones. I think there are 0s... and then there are a step above, do you see that? So I sort of felt like it would be getting a Mercedes but without the nameplate... in which case I could get a VW (nothing against VWs!). Also, with the branding I would get the upgrade benefit. I don't think I would ever use it but I think it would be good to have the option??? It's like for a "nominal" cost, I'm getting a large value to use toward something else. Thoughts?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I guess what I'm saying/asking is... is it really just a "badge"? There is the value in having the upgrade option, as well as the stone being designated as not just "garden variety" lol AGS0. Also, I think it makes a diff when you are considering insurance replacement. Do I make any good points here???

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
I guess what I'm saying/asking is... is it really just a "badge"? There is the value in having the upgrade option, as well as the stone being designated as not just "garden variety" lol AGS0. Also, I think it makes a diff when you are considering insurance replacement. Do I make any good points here???

I think you actually just made your case right there--- and for all of those reasons. It's very good to have the option of upgrading. And if you were lucky enough to have HPD do your re-cuts it wouldn't be a matter of IF on an upgrade--- you wouldn't be able to resist with such an amazing upgrade policy(your upgrade Diamond can literally be only a dollar more than the old one, and @Wink is totally cool with it).

For instance, as much as I love my amazing 1.64 K SI1 that I received about 2 weeks ago, I've already upgraded to a stone 2 color grades higher that was simply too much of a bargain to pass on.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@matt_k Thanks for your input. It isn't with HPD, it is with someone else....

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
@jp201845 Thanks for your input... that's what my husband said. But I do feel that they are not just AGS0 stones. I think there are 0s... and then there are a step above, do you see that? So I sort of felt like it would be getting a Mercedes but without the nameplate... in which case I could get a VW (nothing against VWs!). Also, with the branding I would get the upgrade benefit. I don't think I would ever use it but I think it would be good to have the option??? It's like for a "nominal" cost, I'm getting a large value to use toward something else. Thoughts?

hmmm...with the branding you would get the upgrade benefit? If so, that might be a good option for you. If I remember correctly the earrings that were recut are not as colorless as you prefer. If you ever might like to upgrade the color, then you would have the ability to do so through this vendor, correct?

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
@matt_k Thanks for your input. It isn't with HPD, it is with someone else....

Still, having the option for an upgrade is a nice benefit (whiteflash also has a nice upgrade policy, for example... and the upgrade policy at Brian Gavin is doable for at least one upgrade, but then it gets tricky and expensive; but the upgrade policies at James Allen and Blue Nile are a backbreaker--- you literally have to spend twice as much on your upgrade diamond ).

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@OdetteOdile Great memory!!! Yes, I could upgrade with this vendor. However, I don't know if I ever would because they were given to me by my father as the earrings belonged to my grandmother. My father passed away 16 months ago and so now the thought of trading them is something I don't know if I could ever do. Maybe with time? My hope is that my husband will buy me new studs in the size and color I want (the inherited stones are too large for my preference as studs). But I thought it would be good to have the option.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
@OdetteOdile Great memory!!! Yes, I could upgrade with this vendor. However, I don't know if I ever would because they were given to me by my father as the earrings belonged to my grandmother. My father passed away 16 months ago and so now the thought of trading them is something I don't know if I could ever do. Maybe with time? My hope is that my husband will buy me new studs in the size and color I want (the inherited stones are too large for my preference as studs). But I thought it would be good to have the option.

I understand about the family history. I have a diamond that belonged to my husband's grandmother, and I would not trade it in. However, I agree with you - I think it would be good to have the option.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I understand about the family history. I have a diamond that belonged to my husband's grandmother, and I would not trade it in. However, I agree with you - I think it would be good to have the option.

... Also good for the husband to buy me studs in 1 ct each ear, E color, I'm okay with decent SI2s LOL!
Seriously though, as you said, I can't see myself trading but I've come this far, why not "get the whole package". My husband says I'm such an easy sell lol!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Why would there be a downside other than more money? Since we don’t have the details on the cost, we can’t comment on the value or the downside. I think that branding them would add to resell or trade in value. Circumstances change. People change. Maybe it would be a good investment to brand them.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @nala I don't know if it is appropriate to mention the cost but suffice it to say it isn't anything outrageous and most certainly a pittance when considered in the context of the value of the stones in question. I just think that I'd be stupid to not keep all my options open but, I'm thinking more importantly, that their full value won't be acknowledged without the branded lab report and when it comes to insurance replacement I think this is very important. Heaven forbid something happens, they need to be replaced with the top, top, top of their class. And what if I want to just outright sell them (after throwing around money here, money there, lol, I may need to liquidate lol!), I think that having them branded certainly couldn't hurt.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @nala I don't know if it is appropriate to mention the cost but suffice it to say it isn't anything outrageous and most certainly a pittance when considered in the context of the value of the stones in question. I just think that I'd be stupid to not keep all my options open but, I'm thinking more importantly, that their full value won't be acknowledged without the branded lab report and when it comes to insurance replacement I think this is very important. Heaven forbid something happens, they need to be replaced with the top, top, top of their class. And what if I want to just outright sell them (after throwing around money here, money there, lol, I may need to liquidate lol!), I think that having them branded certainly couldn't hurt.

Absolutely. So there is no downside.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think you actually just made your case right there--- and for all of those reasons. It's very good to have the option of upgrading. And if you were lucky enough to have HPD do your re-cuts it wouldn't be a matter of IF on an upgrade--- you wouldn't be able to resist with such an amazing upgrade policy(your upgrade Diamond can literally be only a dollar more than the old one, and @Wink is totally cool with it).

For instance, as much as I love my amazing 1.64 K SI1 that I received about 2 weeks ago, I've already upgraded to a stone 2 color grades higher that was simply too much of a bargain to pass on.

@matt_k I forgot to acknowledge your upgrade! That's really exciting!!!! Congrats!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
If the stones were yours (recut), then the cutter gets to put their name on diamonds they have not paid for as rough material; it is such a small perk, it might not be obvious if they were giving or getting! [attempted humour]

It is darn hard to talk about things without a name. AGS is also a brand & all I see / hear is GIAGIAGIAGIAGIA; a house brand is something else.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I only see upsides to branding your stones. You have already stated the reasons and others have had valid reasons to brand them. Given the opportunity and in my opinion a great opportunity and the value of your stones both financial and emotional there would be no question in my mind. It is well worth your peace of mind and makes you feel good and proud, that’s what really matters.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As best I recall, BGD did your recuts.

There are a few factors to consider. First, the cost of the branding and what I assume means updated certs with their branding and sending your stones back to have the girdle laser inscribed with the logos as well. It seems I recall reading this being about $500 per stone.

The second part is the trade/purchase value that BGD places on them. Being a family heirloom and factoring in recut costs, I could see how this would create conflict. But at the end of the day, that value has to match what you feel it's worth and hopefully that feeling is partially based on market research saying BGD/WF/CBI/VC super ideals of near identical size and same color & clarity is worth X. Seems easy enough, but add sentimental value into the mix and it may be tough to agree.

Speaking of trades, you also need to consider the upgrade program. I like BGD, that's where I purchased my wife's stone, but it's no secret their program is more restrictive than others. You must spend $1 more and upgrade 2 of the following 3 C's: color, carat or clarity. Depending where you start, this may not seem like a big deal but it catches you quickly and makes upgrading harder as you go along.

Where you are in that chain and how likely it would be to effect you is something only you can determine. Obviously you need to factor in the sentimental aspect also. Some other food for thought, you could likely trade in with another super ideal vendor with or without the branding. You get dinged a bit as you don't get that 100% value but depending how you plan to upgrade it may be money ahead. Awhile back I had talked to Wink about such an option for us, but other unexpected stuff got in the way.

If you resell in the open market, the branding could go either way. Educated buyers may appreciate and pay a premium. The masses likely won't care. Your best bet would be a fellow PS'er but at that point I'm not sure the branding would lure a PS buyer as they are already techy and would appreciate the recut, images, etc. The upgrade program dies with the original owner so that is of no benefit to a second party buyer.

Lastly, for insurance I think it makes life easier. There is zero discussion about what you get if you experience a loss, assuming you document the stones properly. Also this has value only if you insure through a provider like JM or similar. If you self insure like some PS folks, it has no benefit as you will replace as you see fit. Also, while losses do occur, the odds are pretty slim.

As you can see, I'm torn. Depending on exact costs and values I might consider it but for me it takes the right situation.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
If the stones were yours (recut), then the cutter gets to put their name on diamonds they have not paid for as rough material; it is such a small perk, it might not be obvious if they were giving or getting! [attempted humour]

It is darn hard to talk about things without a name. AGS is also a brand & all I see / hear is GIAGIAGIAGIAGIA; a house brand is something else.

Hi, @AV_ It is not a GIA... It is BGD. Does that change your view?

Reactions: AV_

headlight

Ideal_Rock
As best I recall, BGD did your recuts.

There are a few factors to consider. First, the cost of the branding and what I assume means updated certs with their branding and sending your stones back to have the girdle laser inscribed with the logos as well. It seems I recall reading this being about $500 per stone.

The second part is the trade/purchase value that BGD places on them. Being a family heirloom and factoring in recut costs, I could see how this would create conflict. But at the end of the day, that value has to match what you feel it's worth and hopefully that feeling is partially based on market research saying BGD/WF/CBI/VC super ideals of near identical size and same color & clarity is worth X. Seems easy enough, but add sentimental value into the mix and it may be tough to agree.

Speaking of trades, you also need to consider the upgrade program. I like BGD, that's where I purchased my wife's stone, but it's no secret their program is more restrictive than others. You must spend $1 more and upgrade 2 of the following 3 C's: color, carat or clarity. Depending where you start, this may not seem like a big deal but it catches you quickly and makes upgrading harder as you go along.

Where you are in that chain and how likely it would be to effect you is something only you can determine. Obviously you need to factor in the sentimental aspect also. Some other food for thought, you could likely trade in with another super ideal vendor with or without the branding. You get dinged a bit as you don't get that 100% value but depending how you plan to upgrade it may be money ahead. Awhile back I had talked to Wink about such an option for us, but other unexpected stuff got in the way.

If you resell in the open market, the branding could go either way. Educated buyers may appreciate and pay a premium. The masses likely won't care. Your best bet would be a fellow PS'er but at that point I'm not sure the branding would lure a PS buyer as they are already techy and would appreciate the recut, images, etc. The upgrade program dies with the original owner so that is of no benefit to a second party buyer.

Lastly, for insurance I think it makes life easier. There is zero discussion about what you get if you experience a loss, assuming you document the stones properly. Also this has value only if you insure through a provider like JM or similar. If you self insure like some PS folks, it has no benefit as you will replace as you see fit. Also, while losses do occur, the odds are pretty slim.

As you can see, I'm torn. Depending on exact costs and values I might consider it but for me it takes the right situation.

Hi @sledge Thanks for your input. I would only insure with JM as they get it as far as what these branded stones mean. As you said, there is the sentimental value but who knows the future... I may want higher color and feel fine knowing I am once again improving on the stones because, in essence, these are "technically" (actually that would be the right word lol!) no longer the same stones in the context of their original characteristics... I've now significantly improved upon them as well as changed their usage from matched studs to cut for each individual stone's best cut quality and to be used as a solitaire pendant and as a solitaire ring (the larger stone can be recut to match the smaller one if I decide to go back to matched set as studs although they are already very close in size... one is a 2.173 ct. in a 8.44mm and the other a 2.31 ct. in a 8.59mm). The upgrade opportunities I would have with these particular stones was discussed and is acceptable to me. I've gone this far with these stones so at this point why lose any future value in trade-in potential as well as "doing right by them" in everything possible for their proper insurance replacement and even trade with another vender. That sentimental value, while perhaps something that would prevent me from ever changing them out, also I think plays a role in "doing the most" for these stones that I possibly can, if you get my meaning. Almost like in "honoring" my father and the special gift he bestowed upon me. As you know, I long ago traded in my original, beautiful (albeit small), D color beautiful shape appeal marquise engagement diamond and as each day goes by I'm more devastated about it so I feel like I shouldn't "F" this one up!!!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@headlight I so get what you are saying! I remember that a long time ago when I was not in this trade but always loved jewelry my grandma gave me a small sum of money to spend on something I wish to. It was a small inheritance when her aunt passed away. I bought what I thought was a really beautiful citrine and diamond ring in 18 K. How I loved it. I later traded it. Today I want to cry about it. She passed away, I was very close to her and I wasted the only tangible thing I had from her. These are things we realize when we get older how much this sentimentality means and I feel I let her down. I think my love for yellow diamonds is partially due to my irresponsibly losing this ring with a yellow stone. I will feel forever guilty about this. Today I want to make sure I do right by all heirloom pieces or jewelry contributed to in any way by my family. I too have a special Marquise. I understand how losing yours hurt more over time. I think that getting a special Marquise is something you should do for your piece of mind as well. I am sure you will take great care of it.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on your last comments, I think you know exactly what to do and for you I believe the right answer is getting them branded.

It is a way you can further honor your father, while still providing you some flexibility for the future.

Plus I think it makes you happy to do it, and that is very important.

A few months prior to getting married, the wife and I took guardianship of our teen "daughter". It was unplanned and turned our world upside down, but in so many ways J has blessed our lives in ways we couldn't imagine. Of course, talks of our own "blood" kids are now in-play. Of course, I told her I was more than willing to start practicing anytime she wanted. :dance:

My point being I now think about leaving stuff to my wife and kids, should something happen to me. Each of those thoughts always involve me thinking about how those things would bring them happiness and joy and/or set them up in life somehow. For me, I am less worried about them keeping the item exactly as it was passed on, but rather I want it to be useful to them. And if they get jammed up and need to sell to get past a difficult part then that's a way I can be there for them even if I'm not available in the physical sense.

I have no idea how your dad thought, but I know me and my buddies I've discussed this with feel it's less about the "stuff" and more about their happiness level and how those things would enhance them.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@headlight I so get what you are saying! I remember that a long time ago when I was not in this trade but always loved jewelry my grandma gave me a small sum of money to spend on something I wish to. It was a small inheritance when her aunt passed away. I bought what I thought was a really beautiful citrine and diamond ring in 18 K. How I loved it. I later traded it. Today I want to cry about it. She passed away, I was very close to her and I wasted the only tangible thing I had from her. These are things we realize when we get older how much this sentimentality means and I feel I let her down. I think my love for yellow diamonds is partially due to my irresponsibly losing this ring with a yellow stone. I will feel forever guilty about this. Today I want to make sure I do right by all heirloom pieces or jewelry contributed to in any way by my family. I too have a special Marquise. I understand how losing yours hurt more over time. I think that getting a special Marquise is something you should do for your piece of mind as well. I am sure you will take great care of it.

Thanks for sharing your story. Similarly to what you said about my regretful marquise situation, I feel I need to "do right" by these stones gifted to me by my father, hence wanting to brand them with a master cutter.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Based on your last comments, I think you know exactly what to do and for you I believe the right answer is getting them branded.

It is a way you can further honor your father, while still providing you some flexibility for the future.

Plus I think it makes you happy to do it, and that is very important.

A few months prior to getting married, the wife and I took guardianship of our teen "daughter". It was unplanned and turned our world upside down, but in so many ways J has blessed our lives in ways we couldn't imagine. Of course, talks of our own "blood" kids are now in-play. Of course, I told her I was more than willing to start practicing anytime she wanted. :dance:

My point being I now think about leaving stuff to my wife and kids, should something happen to me. Each of those thoughts always involve me thinking about how those things would bring them happiness and joy and/or set them up in life somehow. For me, I am less worried about them keeping the item exactly as it was passed on, but rather I want it to be useful to them. And if they get jammed up and need to sell to get past a difficult part then that's a way I can be there for them even if I'm not available in the physical sense.

I have no idea how your dad thought, but I know me and my buddies I've discussed this with feel it's less about the "stuff" and more about their happiness level and how those things would enhance them.

Thank you so much for sharing your story and for the support!!!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I'm curious if you have seen them yet in person? I remember the images and the stats, but not sure I remember your reaction upon first seeing them after the recut. From all you've written above, I think in your heart you would like these diamonds branded.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Hi, @AV_ It is not a GIA... It is BGD. Does that change your view?

The upgrade rights of that house make sense. Such an arrangement would also represent continuity for me - the old diamonds will be as much part of a future upgrade, as assets [I come from gold country, the idea of inheriting rough material to shape as desired is dyed in the wool; that value is approximately maintained, goes without saying; your diamonds will be working just this very old school way].

Then, lab reports do not age well; what you have is good enough for insurance etc. and at some point in the future, who knows what might be required.

thinking out loud

TMI - To me, a significant single stone is more wearable than large studs; I can do .3 studs - at which size they loose the 'diamond dot' quality for me & start wanting to matter in their own right, with a crazy thing hanging off a finger; did this too for many years.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results