shape
carat
color
clarity

Branded Cut, Lower Color or Non-Branded Higher Color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

N2D-986S

Rough_Rock
Here is a question, as I learn more and more from this forum I am more and more amazed at how dynamic these little rocks are :) I was wondering though, especially after viewing that video on the website that surveys people in Central Park on AGS0 cut stones, would one (being me) be better of looking through the non branded virtual stones for a great diamond with a bit of a higher color grade be better than going for an ACA which has guarneteed quality at one color grade lower? My price point seems to lead me to a color grade lower in the ACA and branded classes than it does with great HCA scored AGS0 stones in the virtual listings. I am looking for a 2ct VS2 in H color but with ACA my price point will only allow for an I colored stone. Will the color make a big difference set in platinum or should I go for the phenominal quality and brillance of an ACA or other equal level stone?

Thanks for the advice, I am really stumped by this one and would love to hear your reccomendations.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
go for the H

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I'd ask, are you color sensitive? If you don't know, go find out! Take a trip to a high end store that sells branded stones, and look at different color 2 cts in window lighting, not under the jewelers lights. And do them one at a time, not together, where you would most likely notice a difference.

It may be it won't bother you, many have I and J in the larger sizes. But you need to look first, especially because the color will show more the bigger the stone. However, the better the cut, the more white they'll face up.

And here's a link for a fun visual. Granted, they are not 2 cts, but 1.5 and up. And this view will show the most color.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/seeking-advice-on-5-round-brilliants-detailed-specs-included.71511/ (scroll down a bit for pics)

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
I looked at and AGS 000 H yesterday alongside 2 ACA H&A I colored stones. I bought the H&A I colored only because it was bigger. The AGS 000 H colored stone was gorgeous. What are the sizes and prices?

Nancy

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what price point would an si1 bring you in at?
11.gif
9.gif

i'd take an ags0 'h' over an 'i' if pressed to make a choice as such

N2D-986S

Rough_Rock
Ellen, Thank you for that thread, that is a great comparison! I don''t know how I missed it. I have been unable to find any H and I stones locally to look at and show my girlfriend. She is color sensitive but when I show her different comparison pics without the color designations attached from the GOG site and from this board she can see a very slight difference but is fine with the colors. I had decided on nothing lower than an H at first but then found out my Mom has an I which just amazed me because of how beautiful the stone is so I started looking at them and now think I can go that route but not 100% convinced yet due to the girlfriends color sensitivity. I will go on another hunt this weekend for the right colors to compare locally, since I can''t see a major difference I really need her there but don''t want her to know the final balance of the 4c''s that I am looking at.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome.

And I will add, while pics are great, they aren''t a substitute for the real deal. She needs to see some in person if at all possible.

I take it she''s seen your moms? what does she think of it, or do you know?

And belle raises a good point, if you would consider SI1, that would get you back to H. There are definitely eyeclean out there.

N2D-986S

Rough_Rock
I am trying to not go any higher than $21k, I would do $22k but I really don''t want to over extend since I am going to do a great solitare setting too. I am just starting the non-in house diamond search and plugging the info ito the HCA to eliminate some of the stones. I have thought about going to SI1 because you are right that would get me an H with ACA but there are no ACAs listed on the WF website (I have not called) that are 2ct - H - SI1, they area all about 2.2ct which bumps the cost up a bit above my limit. I am also worried about seeing the inclusions from the sides, I know eyeclean is great but I can''t find any independant appraisers in the city I live (it amazes me but none are listed on pricescope or some of the other sites that list appraisers) so I won''t be able to see the stones myself and I just don''t know if I can take the chance of seeing the inclusions from the side when I know that would really bother me.

The one good thing is there is no rush on the purchase, I am looking at buying in December so I have time for new stones to show up.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

N2D-986S

Rough_Rock
Ellen, THanks for the links. The 2ct size is a must, while I know I could go lower it is my girlfriends dream to have a 2ct stone and so I am happy fulfill that. Personally as a guy I would like to have a smaller stone that is higher in the color, cut and clarity but that is my need for perfection. So I will get her the size and I want to get perfection in the cut, the other two will have to suffer for those :)

That GIA link is great, I never knew you could look up the GIA reports online, that has already proved a useful tool for my searches last night. THanks again!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2007 10:46:52 AM
Author: N2D-986S
Ellen, THanks for the links. The 2ct size is a must, while I know I could go lower it is my girlfriends dream to have a 2ct stone and so I am happy fulfill that. Personally as a guy I would like to have a smaller stone that is higher in the color, cut and clarity but that is my need for perfection. So I will get her the size and I want to get perfection in the cut, the other two will have to suffer for those :)

That GIA link is great, I never knew you could look up the GIA reports online, that has already proved a useful tool for my searches last night. THanks again!
I understand, just thought I''d throw that out. You don''t see many well cut in the "just under" size.

Since nice 2 cts. don''t grow on trees (or I''d have one planted in my yard), I''d contact a couple vendors and give them your specs so they can get to work finding you one. I think that would be better/easier than trying to do it yourself, they have many suppliers to enquire with.

And you''re welcome for the link! Let us know what you end up with.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OK, I am going to throw out my VERY HUMBLE two cents here, and ask that you AT LEAST
look at lower color AND color (non-branded, ideal-cut) stones -- just to see how incredibly WHITE and EYECLEAN they can be! I am a size girl, too... and in order to get over the 2 carat mark, I dropped color and clarity. I found (and adore!) my KILLER AGS-0 2.36 J/SI2 RB and I am soooo happy I did.

My thinking is that with your nice budget, and lower color/clarity (never compromise on CUT, though) - you might be able to get her upwards of 2 carats, and OH! Wouldn't THAT be SA-WEET?!!!

ETA: Here's a link, so you can see my stone...
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-gorgeous-new-fishtail-pave-set-from-wf.46129/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely stick with AGS0 or GIA Excellent with ideal light return. The brand would not matter a bit to me if it came down to sacrificing other qualities that I wanted like size, color, or clarity.

Here is a really nice 2 ct. H VS2 a little over your budget:

http://204.17.89.15/diamond/3488/

And a 2.09 I VS2 within your budget!

http://204.17.89.15/diamond/2645/

(I see WF has several I VS2's as well)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

OMG You need to check this one out. I can''t believe how clean the mag pic looks.

yikes2.gif
And the IS is great!! And so is the price!

runaround1.gif
Call! Tomorrow!

gontama

Shiny_Rock
In addition to what DS sugested, I would add the following:

2.30 ISI1 http://204.17.89.15/diamond/3487/
2.36 ISI1 http://204.17.89.15/diamond/3486/
2.16 GSI2 http://204.17.89.15/diamond/3648/

All of them are under your budget 22K.

You can ask them whether these stones are eye-clean or not.

If 2.16 GSI2 is eye-clean, you might seriously consider this stone. AGS says clouds not shown on the report party contribute to the clarity grade. If clouds are the grade setter, I would worry. But in this case, these clouds may be just like those found in VS2 which do not affect visual property at all.

Other 2 ISIs are nice too. Just check if they are eye-clean.

I color may or may not be OK for your GF depending on how she sees it and also on where in I color range these diamonds are. Lower colors have wider range than higher colors. If they are high I color, they may be like H color. If on the other hand they are low I color, they may appear pretty much like J color.

I recommend to look at them becuase they are nicely cut and you can trust the vendor. They will double check the color and clarity.

gontama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/2/2007 8:46:55 PM
Author: Ellen

OMG You need to check this one out. I can''t believe how clean the mag pic looks.

yikes2.gif
And the IS is great!! And so is the price!

runaround1.gif
Call! Tomorrow!

It is nice too. It is "F" and over "2" ct.

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
I''m very color sensitive to I colored stones but other people swear they can''t tell. I would really make sure you see the difference in person.

N2D-986S

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for posting some stones to look at! Some of those were on my list of ones to think about, I am glad you all agree they are good ones. I have talked the girlfriend into going to a couple stores today (it took a lot of convicing to get a girl into a jewelry store
9.gif
) to see if I can find any H and I colored stones to show her so we can see the difference in person. I hope I can find some, the last few places I have been to claim they don''t have any in house because they are to low on the color scale. Once I see how she rates them I will have a much better idea of what I can go for.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results