shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking Advice on 5 Round Brilliants (Detailed Specs Included)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

antidentite

Rough_Rock
I''ve been a lurker here for awhile, and love this forum for all the great info!

I''m looking for a very well cut stone, and my gf says that she''ll sacrifice a little bit of color for a larger stone, so I think I''m willing to go up as for as an I in color as long as its an AGS000 (or similar GIA rating), and if it''s under $14,500.

I''ve tried narrowing down my search to the following stones, which are from GOG or WF (I''m not considering BlueNile since I live in Seattle and have to pay tax through them). Please respond if you have any (biased or unbiased!) feedback on these stones:

Carat 1.52 http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3586
Cert GIA
HIC 1.1
Color F
Clarity SI1
Cut Grade Excellent
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Fluorescence Negligible
Girdle 1.55%
Width: 7.43
Length: 7.45
Depth: 4.54mm
Table Percentage: 56.37%
Depth Percentage: 60.96%
Crown angle: 34.15
Crown Depth %: 14.93%
Pavilion angle: 40.82
Pavilion Depth %: 42.91%
Price: $14,043

Carat 1.6 http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3676/
Cert AGS
HIC 1.7
Color H
Clarity VS2
Cut Grade Ideal
Polish Ideal
Symmetry Ideal
Fluorescence Negligible
Girdle
Width: 7.53
Length: 7.55
Depth: 4.65
Table Percentage: 56.35%
Depth Percentage: 61.70%
Crown angle: 34.26
Crown Depth %: 14.84%
Pavilion angle: 41.06
Pavilion Depth %: 43.45%
Notes: Very smaill inclusion in the eye of the diamond
Price: $13,762

Carat 1.70ct www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3659/
Cert AGS
HIC 0.5 (THOUGHTS ON THE 0.5 HIC???)
Color I
Clarity SI1
Cut Grade Ideal
Polish Ideal
Symmetry Ideal
Fluorescence Negligible
Girdle 1.97%
Width: 7.62
Length: 7.66
Depth: 4.73mm
Table Percentage: 55.59%
Depth Percentage: 0.62
Crown angle: 35.01‹
Crown Depth %: 15.53%
Pavilion angle: 40.50‹
Pavilion Depth %: 43%
Price: $12,125

Carat 1.552 https://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-231902.htm#
Cert AGS
HIC 1.3
Color F
Clarity SI1
Cut Grade Ideal
Polish Ideal
Symmetry Ideal
Fluorescence Negligible
Girdle thin to med
Width: 7.49
Length: 7.51
Depth: 4.57
Table Percentage: 0.561
Depth Percentage: 60.90%
Crown angle: 34.7
Crown Depth %: 15.20%
Pavilion angle: 40.8
Pavilion Depth %: 43%
Price $13,852

Carat 1.624 www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-312244.htm#
Cert AGS
HIC 1.1
Color I
Clarity VS1
Cut Grade Ideal (A Cut Above)
Polish Ideal
Symmetry Ideal
Fluorescence Negligible
Girdle Thin to Medium Faceted
Width: 7.54
Length: 7.55
Depth: 4.65
Table Percentage: 0.564
Depth Percentage: 61.60%
Crown angle: 34.9
Crown Depth %: 15.20%
Pavilion angle: 40.8
Pavilion Depth %: 43.10%
Price: $12,998

Thanks for any input you care to provide, or if you know of another stone with similar characteristics you can recommend!

34.gif

wen104

Shiny_Rock
I like 3 and 5 but I am a fan of I color but if I had to pick one and #3 was eye clean that would be my pick. Second would be 5! Good luck and we want pictures!

antidentite

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick response, Wen104. So, why do you prefer color in your stones? Is it the value you provide, or the look?

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
How about this one:

1.54 ACA I VS1

It scores a 1.0 on the HCA and is only $11522.00 with the PS discount. The mm diameter is about the same size as the others you posted. With the left over money you could buy her a great set of studs.
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

I am also a big fan of the lower colored stones. When I first came to PS I thought I could not go below an H VS2 so that is what we bought. But as I learned a bit more I realized that an I or J may be OK for me. Unfortunately I chipped my e-ring stone and had to get a replacement. So I took a chance and had WF ship me a J that I liked and low and behold it was absolutely beautiful!! I got a much larger stone and didn''t have to spend alot more money. So my suggestion to you is if you can pick out a stone or two that you like and have whomever send them to an independent appraiser and take a look at them for yourself side by side.

Good luck

wen104

Shiny_Rock
Well I have a G and I have an H. My mother in laws has a 2 ct RB Ideal I color set in yellow gold. Beautiful and the color it is not yellow but warm. Hers and mine really have a very different sparkle even though both are ideal cuts well and mine is small (upgrade sensed in the future). It is hard to explain until you have really seen them. It isn''t for everyone but I love the warm look and I think because hers is so big it looks even better. Also it is a great value if you need it for that reason!

antidentite

Rough_Rock
I should have mentioned that I''m looking to mount this stone in a platinum setting (classic Tiffany 6-prong), so I''m not sure if that should impact what color I choose?

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
I have my J in a platinum setting and no problem with that at all!

I would go for the I color but color is something that you need to see/decide for yourself. Try going to Tiffany and looking at their stones. They are usually pretty good cut and can give you an idea of how color sensitive you are. Look at them individually as well as side by side. But remember when it is mounted and on her finger she will not be comparing it side by side.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sure they'd all be beautiful, really.

I'd pick 2 for color/clarity, size and price. (which, btw, is 13,300.00 w/bankwire)

antidentite

Rough_Rock
Okay, I think I''m going with #3 or #5 (as Wen recommended), which Jonathon @ GOG has photographed for me. I''ve uploaded those pictures here, where you''ll see the 1.52 F SI1, the 1.60 H VS2, and the 1.70 I SI1, from left to right.

Let me know what you guys think.

GOG ering Comparison 1_52 1_6 1_7.jpg

antidentite

Rough_Rock
Here''s another picture with a ruler underneath (photographed in a room w/ yellow walls). They''re in the same order - 1.52 on the left, 1.60 in the middle, 1.70 on the right.

GOG comparison with ruler - smallest.jpg

antidentite

Rough_Rock
Here''s the color comparison, in the same order (from left to right - F, H, I).

GOG Color Comarison Face Down - small.jpg

antidentite

Rough_Rock
Here''s the last image from Jonathon, which shows them at a slight angle. I''ve reserved the one I wanted but Jonathon has also agreed to take a video of my two favorites beside each other before I make my final decision.

That''s great service.

GOG Comparison Face Up Angle - small.jpg

wen104

Shiny_Rock
Ow goody gum drops they are all so perty! I still vote for 3 and 5 and still that is a hard decision. I guess if i really had to pick one I would go for #5 despite the fact that #3 got better HCA scores. I like the look of that stone the best and the color is really not at all that different then the others. Plus you are getting a beautiful stone with more size at a great price. It really is a great deal. Good Luck I want to see pictures when it is done!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 1:27:16 PM
Author: antidentite
Here''s the last image from Jonathon, which shows them at a slight angle. I''ve reserved the one I wanted but Jonathon has also agreed to take a video of my two favorites beside each other before I make my final decision.

That''s great service.
Awesome!

As I thought, they all look great. Maybe the vid will help one stand out.

wen104

Shiny_Rock
Ok sorry I got that all mixed up here, trying to work at the same time. Based on the pictures I like the 1.70 just in case you didn't understand my post. Which from the original email was #3. Duh next time I will spend more time reading then staring at the pretty rocks. Ow I see stars now, I need to start saving for that upgrade. Which one aren't you buying that is my question. Might have to pick my second choice out for myself!
emotion-19.gif

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
I like the first doamond in Jonathon''s display.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results