shape
carat
color
clarity

BRAGGING RIGHTS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sweetpinkshubby

Rough_Rock
some people say you shouldn''t brag on pricescope but why not, i want you to brag, brag real bad about your rings i want to hear the most narcissistic stories ever how you loved when people were jealous of your rings how you purposely held it in the light or put your hand a certian way so people can see it and envy you and don''t hold anything back i know i''ve done it and so have you. oh yea and show pics of the ring where onlookers bowed at your throne

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2005 9:39:45 AM
Author:sweetpinkshubby
some people say you shouldn''t brag on pricescope but why not, i want you to brag, brag real bad about your rings i want to hear the most narcissistic stories ever how you loved when people were jealous of your rings how you purposely held it in the light or put your hand a certian way so people can see it and envy you and don''t hold anything back i know i''ve done it and so have you. oh yea and show pics of the ring where onlookers bowed at your throne
Wow. I''m feeling pretty good about myself this morning.

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
TOOT-TOOT!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2005 11:38:38 AM
Author: websailor
TOOT-TOOT!!!
Forget your gas-x this morning?

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/5/2005 12:24:37 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 3/5/2005 11:38:38 AM
Author: websailor
TOOT-TOOT!!!
Forget your gas-x this morning?

Strm,
You are sooo funny this morning!
face20.gif

ootthibo

Rough_Rock

WOW...I have not been on Pricescope in ages and I remember why I''ve stayed away. I had some free time this weekend and thought it might be nice to catch up on engagements and stories. I''m really sorry I did b/c I was reminded once again how ridiculous people on this site actually are. I sometimes wonder if some people on this forum think before they write. Everyone is so ready to brag about their rings and I am always left wondering how shallow people really are.

I got a nice ring from my fiancé but I have never done any of those things (like tried to get people to notice or bragged on the internet about how wonderful my stone is or even taken 100 pictures trying to catch the diamond in that "oh so right light"). Does it actually make you feel better about yourself? Do you really need a diamond to do that? And if so what does that say about you?

I''m sure no one remembers but I had a freak coincidence occur on Pricescope and it almost totally ruined a friendship of mine. After that my fiancé told me I should stay away from this site b/c he thinks its a bunch of crazy women who have nothing better to do then spend countless hours taking pictures of their diamonds and bragging about them. Now...I know he was right.

I can''t believe how annoying it is to listen to women who have a 2 ct diamond talk about how they want an upgrade. Really, to be honest most people would probably look at it and think its fake anyway. And I came across a posting about one of the members here who basically alienated her b-friend b/c she told him she wants so and so size. Of course she already knew he couldn''t afford it. What do you want...the man or the diamond? Is it really that important to get a huge diamond? The diamond isn''t going to keep you warm at night, or console you when your hurt or even be worth 3/4 of what you paid for it five minutes after purchasing it.

One of my friends posted an answer once to someone’s question about what size women ideally want their diamonds to be. She said that this wasn''t really the best place to be asking that question and that most ''normal'' women prefer .5-1.0. Well...I''m sure as you guessed many wrote nasty replies ensued. I mean come on people get real. There are so many better things to spend your time doing.

Its nice to share your story and pictures but some here go WAY overboard. Seriously get real.

I''m sure there will be many nasty replies to this message but at least I feel good about myself for getting it off my chest.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2005 10:49:34 PM
Author: ootthibo

I''m sure there will be many nasty replies to this message but at least I feel good about myself for getting it off my chest.
Why would that be ?
31.gif

It''s pretty obvious diamonds make a light hearted reason for a chat, no ? C''mon, it so much easier to talk about non-issues (like e-ring diamond size!) over 5 o''clock tea than bring some hard core moral dillema out of the closet.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Your opinion is very interesting, and certainly that's what this place is about--opinions.

I can see how some threads/posts might seem over the top...but when i think that about a post, I remind myself that this is a diamond site, the purpose of which is to educate consumers and provide a place where the diamond/jewelry lover (some may say obsessed) can congregate and have some fun. You're right--99% of people we all know in the "real world" could either care less about diamonds or have no idea about them.

I was shopping in a local dept. store just yesterda,y buring a vacuum no less, and the cashier stopped what she was doing to comment on my ring. She made a big scene in fact and calle dover another cashier.... I liked it--I am human-- but I didn't ask for it...I was trying to lift the vacuum box out of the cart for pete's sake. After a few moments, i actually could feel my face getting red becasue the 10 people in line behind me weren't too thrilled. My ring gets noticed a lot. it's fun, sometimes embarrassing. But it doesn't make me any "better" or worse than anyone else. It's a thing and it has its place.

Stories about diamonds or erings getting in the way of relationships are concerning but hopefully, when people in these situations ask advice of the forum members, they get some perspective. I have seen many cases such as this. We all get carried away. This (the US) is a very materialistic society...women are taught at an early age to want a diamond, a big wedding, and a bunch of other stuff. Giving into this pressure at the expense of much more important things like someone's feelings or financial security is no good. I think overall Pricescope does, in its own unique way, seek that idealogical balance.

1.gif

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Oootthibo,
I completely agree with what you say about people who aren''t happy with huge diamond rings and constantly want even bigger upgrades. I was happy about getting my 1.50ct new e-ring from my husband and all everyone talks about is how they only have a 2 or 3 carat diamond. Personally, aside from people thinking it was fake anyway, I wouldn''t feel comfortable wearing something so huge on my hand. I would be scared to death all the time about getting it stolen from me. I think new ring is it for me. I don''t wish for a bigger or even more fabulous stone. I also don''t care about all the fancy tests for diamonds either. On the other hand, I think it''s great for women to be able to come here and show off their rings. It''s very exciting to post pics and hear compliments on the stones. I do love seeing the pics and hearing the stories behind the rings. It''s not all bad here. There are some very knowledgeable people here and I''m sorry you had a bad experience on PS.

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Good point Jennifer. You said it better than I did.

deny

Rough_Rock
That was an awfully long post ootthibo for someone who doesn't want to spend time here...
20.gif

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
I think you can get a lot of different things out of Pricescope, from education to full-blown diamond obsession with the diamond shrinkage symptom and what not. It''s definitely a skewed sample here and most people I know in real life (including my fiance) find the idea of upgrading engagement rings distasteful at least if not outright appalling. But if others feel differently about it, i have no objection to looking at their beautiful rings and really don''t particularly care about their potential character flaws. However, I don''t think size is the main emphasis on this forum, it''s at least as much and i think even more about the quality of stones and great design and it''s cool to have a place where your interest is shared and where showing off your new ring is not considered tacky. It certainly doesn''t make anyone a better person, it''s simply a fun diversion (at least for me)... As for the "real world size", well in my real world of NYC, 1.5-2 carats is pretty average even for people who have no interest in diamonds.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
ootthibo, I''m so sorry to hear of your bad experiences.
I hope you and your friend patch things up.

sweetpinkshubby

Rough_Rock
alright this was for those of us with a sense of humor don''t take this seriously it''s just for laughs c''mon no one could tell me they never felt like they were on air when someone said nice ring after all like jennifer5973 wrote we''re only human. so relax ootthibo love ya
emwink.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
It helps to view some topics here as a fetish issue. You could totally substitute stilettos/shoes, corseted waists, feet, breasts, hats, body hair..whatever.... for diamonds.

Most people do move on with their lives after the e-ring, save holidays/annivs. However, some of us get stuck to varying extents and the ogling, bragging, envy, debate, praise, exchange of specs and photos echoes the obsession of most fetishes. for instance, in corsetry it''s all about attaining the smallest waist.  The mindset here is really nothing new... except maybe this one is more cost-prohibitive than most hang-ups.

The one dicey area is the whole ''large diamond=love'' subtext. I remember reading somewhere here (or DT) a post that a certain girl''s beautiful engagement ring gave the message that she was loved. I actually groaned out loud when I read that response. What a load of hooey!
38.gif
At that point, I stop playing the game.

The reality is that we do sometimes read way too much into these jewelry pieces. We really know nothing about the lives of the posters here. Surely most of us have great, healthy rel''ps. Some are probably not so hot, so we get to see the gorgeous ring but not the black eye or broken heart.

I''m also disturbed by the refusal to marry/accept proposal ''unless I get a certain carat size, etc.''

Fortunately, I don''t think anything vicious is usually intended here. It''s mainly all in obsessive fun.
37.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
SPsHubby,

I did have a recent public drooling scene over a ring(the roval). While I was glad that they liked it too, honestly I was a bit embarassed by it all. I''m not the most outgoing person on earth, so the spotlight was a bit uncomfortable after a few minutes. She also called over a friend to look too. ulp.
40.gif

I prefer the discreet ''hit and run'' compliments.
9.gif

LuvthatSparkle

Shiny_Rock
First, I wouldl like to say "SweetPinksHubby" is a Silly!!!
9.gif
When I read the title of this thread I cracked up laughing. How many times have I stared at my RHR in the subway where the florescent lights make it sparkle ever so nicely!!! I just LuvthatSparkle!!! and I''m not ashamed to say it!! I was engaged years ago and I don''t know how many times I flashed someone!! LOL mainly men. In a get back I''m taken sort of way!! And sometimes it''s just fun when you get all dressed up and decked out like a Queen for New Year''s or a Wedding etc. And honestly my jewelry box doesn''t overflow with baubles, I have a few well chosen pieces that I adore and wouldn''t trade for the world. Pricescope is an invaluable resource!! I learned so much about diamonds here and now that I''m looking again, Pricescope and all the people here are helping my fiance and I get the most for our money. I truly appreciate that. Not everyone is working with the same budget, why should I let that bother me!! Why should I care if Ms. Smith is 40 years old married for 15 years and wants to upgrade her ring!! Why do I care if a women has a 3ct ring or a 5ct ring. As we all know you can sparkle no matter what size diamond you have as "SweetPink" proved.

If all you see when you visit Pricescope is a bunch of crazy ladies showing pics of their rings shame on you! I see friends, I see information exchange, idea exchange, creativiity tweaked and refined. Opinions shared and good old fashioned support when people need it.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Well, for myself it was a breath of fresh air to find there actually were such things as diamond/jewellery forums. There were people out there who liked jewellery as much as me. I was not alone.
37.gif

I like all jewellery, real or sims, big or small, cheap or expensive. I don''t care; it''s all fun.
9.gif

Sadly, a few women do get hung up on the ''big diamond = love'' idea, but I don''t think that many of them are on this forum. They wouldn''t last long with all the down to earth fiesty ladies around here.
29.gif

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I understand the point, but maybe not spending too much time around here has led to missing something. I spend a lot of time in the LIW threads and it seems to me that most of the newly engaged or hoping to be engaged ladies are talking about 1-1.5 ct stones, rather than 2 or more. And many of them have been known to say that they would take a lollipop ring or a twist-tie if he would just ASK already!
emwink.gif

Is it so bad to want to look at something beautiful for the rest of your life? I don''t think so! My BF understands that my obsession is about design, art, and beauty, not the material worth. I can''t wait to show off my ring...when that day finally arrives...
emotion-40.gif

So Relax and Smile! It''s almost Spring!
emrose.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

Well, for myself it was a breath of fresh air to find there actually were such things as diamond/jewellery forums. There were people out there who liked jewellery as much as me. I was not alone.

I like all jewellery, real or sims, big or small, cheap or expensive. I don''t care; it''s all fun.
that says it all for me! i just happen to love the beauty of gemstones.......it''s nice to be able to come to a place and share with others who enjoy the same. of course there are many other fun, serious and even silly topics as well, so it''s all good!
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto what Bagpuss and belle said!!
2.gif

lostdog

Shiny_Rock
"in my real world of NYC"

Right.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
is that a 'right' right or a 'whatever' right?

is the whole "in NYC, a huge rock is de rigeur' thing a myth?

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
And many of them have been known to say that they would take a lollipop ring or a twist-tie if he would just ASK already!
emwink.gif

LOL!
21.gif
I remember feeling that way too! At that time, I would have totally taken a ring pop, bubble gum machine ring, cigar band , even A Cap''n Zales special... whatever. I figured that the jewelry could come later!

Honestly, I do get a pang occasionally for missing out on the whole glowing fiancee avec diamond experience. I glowed anyway (with my red garnet) but the diamond could have avoided some awkward moments with family and friends. OTOH, I''m so glad I got to learn a bit first. I don''t have remorse for taking my time.

It would be so nice if the joy and appreciation of the stones and the jewelery design were the core issue. There''s just so much other social-status-emotional fog involved at times.

lostdog

Shiny_Rock
Anyway, people come here for different reasons. And certainly are posting about things other than bigger and more expensive. Don't read the threads that are about subjects you don't like. There are some folders here I never read except by accident. If there's nothing you like, then you know what to do.

lostdog

Shiny_Rock
That''s a sarcastic word about the "NYC" of standard issue 2 ct rings and "real world" being used interchangably.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, just as watching TV. If you don''t like what you watching, change the channel!!
3.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I''ll unpack my bags then (was heading for NYC). darn!
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results