Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

BRAG about your smart diamond purchases...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
32,407
with diamond prices skyrocketing during the past 9 months... :wacko: :knockout:

do you ever check how much more :$$): your diamond would cost at today's price?
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
haha... I was just thinking about how many of us have been patting ourselves on the back about our purchases from a year or so ago. A brag thread might indeed be in order 8)

I will bite.

I bought my present diamond in May 2010 for $11k. If I wanted to buy it today it would cost $15k.

Of course, if I had bought it in 2008 when I began my upgrade journey, it would have cost me about $9.5k.

Sigh.
 

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
11,614
I'll play:

Back in fall 2009, Whiteflash found me a killer 1.808 carat H SI1 (completely eye clean) AGS0 round from the virtual inventory. I paid $12,250 wire price, which even back then was a great price. I think a stone with those specs today would be $15 - $16k. Thank you WF (and hubby too! ;)) ). I'm so glad he convinced me to go for it. Why didn't I snap up an AVC back then too? :lickout: Now, with a baby and new house, there are no more diamond purchases in my future. I'm kicking myself for not setting it right away, because settings have gone up a ton too with gold prices being what they are.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,975
I just bought a red diamond at today's inflated prices. ;( ;( ;(
 

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Feb 18, 2011
Messages
691
kenny|1306548771|2932169 said:
I just bought a red diamond at today's inflated prices. ;( ;( ;(

Better than tomorrow's inflated prices!?!

What does a red diamond look like? I have never seen one!
 

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
740
I am very interested in this thread - I paid just under $3000 US for a 1 ct cushion 12 months ago and am considering a very small upgrade at the moment but it will cost me nearly $1000 for only .3mm in each direction, or in other words .10 (but one colour grade better also). I don't know if that's worth it??? At the time the cushion seemed quite cheap but it's a K which I think is why.
 

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
668
My boyfriend and I bought our 1 ct diamond back in feb and a similar stone now would cost us $2500 more today :( .. I have been hoping to save up for some yummy AVR studs however looks like I will be saving up alot longer now :( :(
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
loveloveloveit|1306564918|2932283 said:
I am very interested in this thread - I paid just under $3000 US for a 1 ct cushion 12 months ago and am considering a very small upgrade at the moment but it will cost me nearly $1000 for only .3mm in each direction, or in other words .10 (but one colour grade better also). I don't know if that's worth it??? At the time the cushion seemed quite cheap but it's a K which I think is why.
I went from a K to a J and it was totally worth it. I think it is worth the $1k.
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
Well, let's see:

- I bought a pair of 1.70ct each (3.4ctw) K VS from WF about 3 years ago and paid abt $9k each. Upgraded them in 2009 to 2.3ct each (4.6ctw) J VS2 with BGD and paid about $16-17k each. I reckon a (BGD Sign) super-ideal 2.3ct J VS2 would easily set you back $23-24k each. So thank you, Brian and Lesley, they "saved" me $14-16k on my earrings! :))

This 2.06ct J VS2 is already a whopping $20k! :o
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104044686004

- Bought a 1.5ct G Si1 Ideal cut from JA two years ago for $9k. A similar stone today would easily cost $15k-16k. So thank you, Jim! :))

- Bought a 1.5ct F Si1 Ideal cut from JA a few months ago (March/April) for $14k. I'd have to pay $15-16k today. Thank you, Jim, again! :o :)

- My 3.02ct F VS2 triple Excellent stone cost me $60k in 2006. Now, a similar stone is in the region of $90-110k!

- Bought a 2.37ct G Si1"Blue" diamond from BGD in March/April for $27k. There's no comparable I can find on BGD's website and am too lazy to look up the prices of other super-ideals. But I reckon a similar stone would be in the vicinity of $30k.

- Bought a 2.66ct H Si2 (eyeclean) BGD Sign Super-Ideal stone in Feb/ March for $27k. Since I don't wear pendants usually and reckon I went a bit overboard with my shopping spree 8) , I'm actually putting it on consignment with JbEG cos if I was to sell it back to BGD, I'd only receive 70% of that and this stone would be in the region of $32-33k at today's prices. I've given myself until after Xmas to sell it; and if it doesn't, then I'll take it back and keep it (maybe I'll get used to wearing a pendant) or maybe I'll convert it into a halo ring, a la LM.

What really really upsets me is that I've been on this holy grail for a big FIVE-O and I didn't pull a trigger when I should havesoooo many times. I remember looking at these stones when diamond prices were "low" (all relative, isn't it?!) and they were in the area of $100-150k. Now, a 5ct RB of the specs I'd like (ie. F-G-H, VS1-Si1) would set me back a "cool" $200-300k++ :nono: :blackeye: ;( ;(

The only "consolation" (if you can even call it that) is that I've *finally* realised that I'd much much prefer a larger Asscher to a large RB. But at the rate diamond prices are going up, I don't see that in my horizon any time soon! :(( Ah well....
 

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,802
I finalised the sale of, what I believe will be, my final upgrade on 24th March 2011. It is a RB, H & A, 1.7 I/VS2 AGS0 :praise:

I had it on hold for about 4 weeks whilst my consigned diamond went through its 30 day return period.
Anyway, I paid $12,800 and I believe today it would be about $16k

Here she is :praise: :love: :praise: :love: :praise: :love:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8071/

In order to get to my dream 2 carat size, today it would cost me $26,186!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More than double for 0.4mm. That is soooooooooo not gonna happen!! :-o

If I had that sort of money available, I wouldn't upgrade, I would get a second ring. I would buy a large low coloured AVC set in an exquisite halo with super white diamonds to show of the crazy colour of the AVC and those pastel shades!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: ( I had an AVC during my consignment process to keep my finger sparkly during my RB's sale process)


So expect lots of Dreamer-esque type threads on my musings re three stones settings, halos etc because whilst I love my new diamond, DSS, I am ashamed to admit, kicked in approx one week after its arrival in the UK. It is now apparent to me that it is no longer about size for me, it is about how best to set my diamond. Oh and so that it looks balanced, if possible, against my (too big for it, :tongue: ) eternity ring. Which isn't going anywhere, cos I loves it! ;)) :praise:

I will eventually get round to do a SMTB thread, with losing my Dad in March and our move to Australia from Scotland in just over 2 weeks, I haven't had much time. Sorry!!! ::)
:wavey:

Edited for spelling
 

Pecel

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
44
The most interesting question is: Where is the end of the prices going up? Do they really can go up with no limits?
 

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 17, 2009
Messages
2,692
Susie... Just wait until you get to Perth, you DSS will be cured for a while because your 1.8ct is going to look HUGE around here!

(and you will fall over in shock when you see the diamond prices...)
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
56,157
Phoenix|1306575579|2932304 said:
Well, let's see:

- I bought a pair of 1.70ct each (3.4ctw) K VS from WF about 3 years ago and paid abt $9k each. Upgraded them in 2009 to 2.3ct each (4.6ctw) J VS2 with BGD and paid about $16-17k each. I reckon a (BGD Sign) super-ideal 2.3ct J VS2 would easily set you back $23-24k each. So thank you, Brian and Lesley, they "saved" me $14-16k on my earrings! :))

This 2.06ct J VS2 is already a whopping $20k! :o
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104044686004

- Bought a 1.5ct G Si1 Ideal cut from JA two years ago for $9k. A similar stone today would easily cost $15k-16k. So thank you, Jim! :))

- Bought a 1.5ct F Si1 Ideal cut from JA a few months ago (March/April) for $14k. I'd have to pay $15-16k today. Thank you, Jim, again! :o :)

- My 3.02ct F VS2 triple Excellent stone cost me $60k in 2006. Now, a similar stone is in the region of $90-110k!

- Bought a 2.37ct G Si1"Blue" diamond from BGD in March/April for $27k. There's no comparable I can find on BGD's website and am too lazy to look up the prices of other super-ideals. But I reckon a similar stone would be in the vicinity of $30k.

- Bought a 2.66ct H Si2 (eyeclean) BGD Sign Super-Ideal stone in Feb/ March for $27k. Since I don't wear pendants usually and reckon I went a bit overboard with my shopping spree 8) , I'm actually putting it on consignment with JbEG cos if I was to sell it back to BGD, I'd only receive 70% of that and this stone would be in the region of $32-33k at today's prices. I've given myself until after Xmas to sell it; and if it doesn't, then I'll take it back and keep it (maybe I'll get used to wearing a pendant) or maybe I'll convert it into a halo ring, a la LM.

What really really upsets me is that I've been on this holy grail for a big FIVE-O and I didn't pull a trigger when I should havesoooo many times. I remember looking at these stones when diamond prices were "low" (all relative, isn't it?!) and they were in the area of $100-150k. Now, a 5ct RB of the specs I'd like (ie. F-G-H, VS1-Si1) would set me back a "cool" $200-300k++ :nono: :blackeye: ;( ;(

The only "consolation" (if you can even call it that) is that I've *finally* realised that I'd much much prefer a larger Asscher to a large RB. But at the rate diamond prices are going up, I don't see that in my horizon any time soon! :(( Ah well....
Phoenix! You are consigning your new milgrain bezel pendant???? Awww, I think that is such a compliment to your other pieces!
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
diamondseeker2006|1306595750|2932426 said:
Phoenix! You are consigning your new milgrain bezel pendant???? Awww, I think that is such a compliment to your other pieces!...

I know....what to do?! I don't really wear pendants (though I may get used to it once I get it) and also reckon I went a bit overboard with the recent bling spree! 8) . I know I won't get back what I've spent, particularly on the platinum setting (as whoever that may be interested may wish to reset it as a ring, I reckon); but hopefully with the recent diamond price increases (even after Brian sold me the stone, he said he was JUST about to raise the price - all prices across the board - when I'd asked Lesley to reserve the stone for me. I think since then, they've raised prices at least once more) and after JbEG's commission, if I can get close to what I actually paid, I'll be more than happy.

If it doesn't sell at the price-point I'd like (I've given myself a six months timeframe) by Jan next year, I'll just take it back and wear it and perhaps reset it into a Riviere at some point in the FAR future.
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
susimoo|1306576285|2932308 said:
So expect lots of Dreamer-esque type threads on my musings re three stones settings, halos etc because whilst I love my new diamond, DSS, I am ashamed to admit, kicked in approx one week after its arrival in the UK. It is now apparent to me that it is no longer about size for me, it is about how best to set my diamond. Oh and so that it looks balanced, if possible, against my (too big for it, :tongue: ) eternity ring. Which isn't going anywhere, cos I loves it! ;)) :praise:
Susie bring on the Dreamer-esque threads so I am not the only crazy person!

Do tell, I don't know the story, you consigned a diamond with GOG then it sold and you bought an AVC then when the 30 return period was up, traded in the AVC and the proceeds of the sale towards your new diamond? It sounds very similar to my own! I also think the right setting is part of the deal. I can't wait to see what you come up with!
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
24,125
I just purchased my 1 carat AGS0 a month ago and I am sure glad I bought it when I did. It took me 3 upgrades, $2000 extra trade in and an 8% discount to make it affordable. Let's hope DSS doesn't set in for me anytime soon. :devil:
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
22,517
I bought a BGD .46 J/SI1 last year for $550 and had planned to use it to trade my way up but the
equivalent is now around $800+. Doesnt make much sense to trade up anymore :(sad .
 

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,802
hawaiianorangetree|1306588712|2932362 said:
Susie... Just wait until you get to Perth, you DSS will be cured for a while because your 1.8ct is going to look HUGE around here!

(and you will fall over in shock when you see the diamond prices...)
Hey HOT!!!! :wavey:

It's only a wee 1.7 not a 1.8!!! :tongue: :lol:

I can't wait to see what the shops have to offer. I am guessing you and me will be trying to buy together to save on postage from the PS vendors in the good old US of A!!!!! :devil: :lol:

Can't wait to finally meet you and try on your bling!!! :devil: :appl: :appl: :appl:
 

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
6,232

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,802
Dreamer_D|1306601640|2932502 said:
susimoo|1306576285|2932308 said:
So expect lots of Dreamer-esque type threads on my musings re three stones settings, halos etc because whilst I love my new diamond, DSS, I am ashamed to admit, kicked in approx one week after its arrival in the UK. It is now apparent to me that it is no longer about size for me, it is about how best to set my diamond. Oh and so that it looks balanced, if possible, against my (too big for it, :tongue: ) eternity ring. Which isn't going anywhere, cos I loves it! ;)) :praise:
Susie bring on the Dreamer-esque threads so I am not the only crazy person!

Do tell, I don't know the story, you consigned a diamond with GOG then it sold and you bought an AVC then when the 30 return period was up, traded in the AVC and the proceeds of the sale towards your new diamond? It sounds very similar to my own! I also think the right setting is part of the deal. I can't wait to see what you come up with!
Dreamer, you are not crazy!!! You are one of my PS idols!!! I LOVE to watch what you are up to, because I can totally relate 100% to your thought process.
Anyway, my diamond process was a bit more convoluted than that!!! :saint:

On another make up site I kept hearing people talking about "upgrading ." I thought to myself I want some of that, whatever "that" is!!! I asked a question and they pointed me to PS and GOG. The rest, as they say, is history.

I found PS in Dec 2009, joined Jan 2010, started my diamond odyssey in March 2010.
My original engagement ring is a 3 stone 0.75ct diamond ring which I still have. I was bought a beautiful one carat RB, HRD G/VS1(my sweet spot) as an upgrade.

I was soooo proud of it, until I started to want a bigger one. :rolleyes: I already had one of the biggest rings in my group of friends but nothing seemed to satisfy me. I then was bought my large eternity ring in 2008, a five stone, 1.5ct. Then I still wanted bigger. So in 2009, I had it altered and added two more stones. It became a 7 stone, 2.11ct. (it incorporates my 2 lucky numbers 7 and 31 because the middle stone was picked to be a 31pointer instead of 30!! :praise: )

That did it for a little bit until I heard the word "upgrade" and found myself here. Boy, did I feel like I had found the promised land. You were all like me. Obsessed and totally unashamed in your love of diamonds.

So, very quickly realized my RB wasn't the best cut and that made me want to change immediately, but I didn't have the cash or the justification to keep my one carat and buy another. So I contacted Jonathan at GOG and this is how it went.

March 2010 - sent RB to GOG for consignment
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7134/

Wore a substitute in an old setting till I could stand it no longer. June 2010 - bought my interim diamond, in a temp setting.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7355/

Loved it. Then in January I decided my consigned diamond wasn't selling anytime soon, so why not have my AVC reset into a more permanent setting prior to our move to Australia. Then I thought, why not try something else. So I decided to trade in my AVC and got this...
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7971/
No sooner was it in it's setting, a deposit was placed on my consigned diamond. OOOOOHHHH decisions decisions. Do I wait and show great restraint and wait to see if it sells before having it sent to bonnie Scotland. :rolleyes: Of course not, had that baby sent right out!! :lol:

Then on 24.3.11, my stone had sold and the 30 day return period on it had ended and I traded in my 1.21 and got my LAST upgrade!!!
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8071/

I had it set in a platinum and 18 carat yellow gold 4 prong, which is very high, because I personally adore high settings.
DSS set in and I realize financially I can never justify the cost of getting to 2 carats or above. So all I can do is accept that even if I did get a 2 carat, within a week I'd want a 2.5 etc etc etc.

So I have to find the optimum setting for the 1.7 that I ADORE!! Expect lots of questions and what if's in the very near future.

If you got through all that, I owe you a drink!!! Cocktails on me!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:
:wavey:
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
Susie that was fun to read. Thanks for posting! I am curious, what did your 1ct sell for? Was it close to what you paid?

I love your 7 stone ring, too, dearie, but I suspect it is adding to your DSS ;)) wearing it on the same hand as your 1.7ct. Have you ever thought of switching the 7 stone to the RH so you can appreciate the size of the 1.7ct more? Just a thought!
 

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,802
Dreamer_D|1306613685|2932626 said:
Susie that was fun to read. Thanks for posting! I am curious, what did your 1ct sell for? Was it close to what you paid?

I love your 7 stone ring, too, dearie, but I suspect it is adding to your DSS ;)) wearing it on the same hand as your 1.7ct. Have you ever thought of switching the 7 stone to the RH so you can appreciate the size of the 1.7ct more? Just a thought!
My RB was for sale at $6500. Once you take of the % for cash/wire transfer and my (small!) consignment fee, I got $5750. That, taking into account the exchange rate I bought my 1.7 at, means I pretty much broke even, which is marvelous!!!! :appl: :appl:

I have a number of eternity rings, all smaller than my current one (did I just say that - current- :-o ) but I love my 7 stone and don't want to switch it to my right hand as I have so many others currently competing for that place.

So DSS it is and the everlasting search for the PERFECT setting begins!! :wavey:
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
32,407
thanks to Phoenix for cornering the diamond market now we all must pay these carzy prices... ::)
 

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
1,394
A comparable stone would cost approximately $4,500 more than what we paid a few years ago!
 

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
784
for mine, my original 1.72ct round F VVS2 GIA triple EX now would cost $9000 more than what we paid in March 2009 !!!

as for the upgraded 2.32ct round G VS1 AGS 0 bought in Oct 2010, it would cost $15,000 MORE if we bought it now !!! :o :o :o

when we went to James Allen for that upgrade, they offered my 1.72ct for $2500 MORE than what we originally paid (so we actually gained $ !) with the upgrade diamond, they also offered their standard pricescope discount on the new diamond, so at the end, with the extra $2500 and the pricescope discount, the 2.32 upgrade cost a little less than $6000 ... really glad we did that before the price spiked dramatically.
 

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
3,794
I bought my 1.43 AVC G SI1 ( is that a sweet spot or what???) a little over a year ago for $9200. Now there is nothing in GOG's stock like it, but a 1.30 F SI1 is now $10,300 and a 1.55 E SI1 is 18K!!!!!!!!!!
 

OCmom3xboys

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
342
I just read all your comments, crazy high prizes, yikes! I really hope that diamonds prices will come down a bit in a couple years when it's time for my upgrade. Otherwise, I will be stuck with my princess cut forever (which I'm still grateful for, of course).
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    What is PriceScope?
    What is PriceScope?
    What is Diamond Color?
    What is Diamond Color?
    Scorpio Style
    Scorpio Style

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.

New posts

Top