shape
carat
color
clarity

Bracelets that are not tennis bracelets?

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
I'm clearly on a diamond kick...in the process of creating my ring, looking to purchase studs, and now also thinking about bracelets!

To be fair, I've been thinking about bracelets for a while. I realized a few months ago as I was getting ready for my engagement party that I have no "nice" bracelets. I have a lot of beaded bracelets, sterling silver bracelets, and Alex and Ani bracelets, but I don't have anything appropriate for more formal occasions. I don't usually wear bracelets a whole lot, so I'm not surprised that I've gone so long without a nice bracelet, but I would like to have something that a few steps up from Alex and Ani and appropriate for more formal times.

In the long term, I would LOVE a nice tennis bracelet, but that is definitely not in my budget at the moment. Is there any other type of bracelet I can look into? I obviously am into diamonds at the moment (and I like that they would go with everything), but I'm open to gemstones/colored stones as well. I would love to do double-duty and find something that I can also wear at my wedding! I also have kind of smallish wrists (about 5.5 inches), so while I want something that has a presence, I don't want anything too big or overwhelming (something I seems to struggle with when it comes to bracelets in general).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a DBTY braclet? You could do a 1 station, 3 station or more. Can be worn for casual or more formal situations.
Both BDG and WF have done some nice ones but depending on your budget you could also talk to ID Jewelry.

Q

Queenie60

You could do a very thin bangle with a few pave diamonds on the top. Or, a pearl bracelet with a single or double row of small pearls, 4mm to 5mm pearls.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you be ok with a bangle? Jewels by Grace do a line of bangles/cuffs with 1 or 2 stones- they can use various diamond shapes and other stones too. They are very pretty for daily wear, very comfortable and affordable. Take a look at the site!

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for the replies and ideas!

Tyty33 - I had to do some searching to figure out what "DBTY" is. :oops: For some reason, I had thought that it was a brand, but it seems that it's actually just a style of bracelet...is that correct? Anyway, I've definitely considered that style, but I have a hard time figuring out what size diamonds would be appropriate...

Baby Monster - Thanks for the link to the pearl website! I love pearl and was considering them for my wedding but hadn't yet gotten around to researching reputable sites. This is super helpful!

PintoBean - Would you happen to have a picture of the BlueNile bracelet? It looks very pretty, but from the reviews, it seems people felt it was too small/misrepresented. (Although, I would trust a PSer over random reviews. :lol: )

Queenie60, Baby Monster, and Snowdrop13 - I've thought about a bangle, and I think the ones on Jewels by Grace a beautiful. I have kind of a love/hate relationship with bangles though...I love the idea of them and how they look on others, but I rarely feel they look right now me. Alex and Ani are the only ones I feel like I can get away with because they're adjustable.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the diamond bangle from WF and I know the IDJ has done more affordable but still kick ass versions of it. That would be my choice.

xizenta

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1452810846|3976090 said:
I love the diamond bangle from WF and I know the IDJ has done more affordable but still kick a$$ versions of it. That would be my choice.

Which one? Can you post pictures?

I saw a simon-g two tone bracelet on WF that I like. Wish there were more photos of it though.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, Diamonds By The Yard (DBTY...sorry) is just a style. Most diamonds in these are smaller...like 15 ptrs but I do think some
people have done them with bigger stones. A vendor could tell you how big you could go with the stones. I know if you go too
big the culet can poke out from the bottom of the bezel and poke you.

I'm really liking that one I commented on above. I have a feeling it's not very big though. I would love to see some pictures of
it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a wedding, I think tennis bracelet or pearl bracelet would be most appropriate. I think Pearl Paradise has great quality at good prices! There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing nice quality diamond simulants for a formal occasion. Check out nice brands like Berricle which are made of sterling. My daughter wore really pretty drop earrings like that for her wedding because she'd never need earrings like that for any other time. I wouldn't try to get a complete fine jewelry collection before a wedding. Save some things for anniversary gifts!

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
girlyglam|1452807541|3976070 said:

Tyty33 - I had to do some searching to figure out what "DBTY" is. :oops: For some reason, I had thought that it was a brand, but it seems that it's actually just a style of bracelet...is that correct? Anyway, I've definitely considered that style, but I have a hard time figuring out what size diamonds would be appropriate...

I think this design is a great idea for the short/medium term - - you could start with as many diamonds as fit into your budget at the moment and get a DBTY - and then when you are able to afford it, you can unset the stones from the DBTY and reset those into your new tennis bracelet. This will allow you to have enough diamond content right now for the more formal events, but will also cut back on your future costs later on when you go up to a tennis bracelet.
Regarding diamond size - go out and figure out what size stones you will eventually want in a tennis bracelet...and then work to those sizes with your 'temporary' bracelet ;-)
Good luck

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
PintoBean|1452821902|3976168 said:
tyty333|1452814661|3976106 said:
PintoBean|1452793563|3975976 said:

Do you have a SMTB post on this? The price is really good and I like the way it looks!

I just created a SMTB for you to see the bracelet! :wavey:

Thanks os much for posting that, PintoBean! It is so much prettier in real life than on BN's website!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd second the quality and value of Pearl Paradise, they have so many pretty bracelets to choose from. The Freshadama pearls are lovely and the bracelets feel substantial.

I'm not sure what your budget is, or if you are interested in "branded" jewellery but the Van Cleef and Arpels Sweets bracelets are gorgeous. There are various stones available in a single motif too.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
ADN|1452816178|3976119 said:
girlyglam|1452807541|3976070 said:

I think this design is a great idea for the short/medium term - - you could start with as many diamonds as fit into your budget at the moment and get a DBTY - and then when you are able to afford it, you can unset the stones from the DBTY and reset those into your new tennis bracelet. This will allow you to have enough diamond content right now for the more formal events, but will also cut back on your future costs later on when you go up to a tennis bracelet.
Regarding diamond size - go out and figure out what size stones you will eventually want in a tennis bracelet...and then work to those sizes with your 'temporary' bracelet ;-)
Good luck

This is actually a really great idea! Of course, I haven't thought too much about what size stones I would eventually want in a tennis bracelet, but I've been browsing some threads here, and I think it would be somewhere between 10-15 pointers. Maybe 12 pointers as a happy medium?

Realistically, at this point in time I really don't want to spend much more than about $500 (and less, if possible). Do you think a white gold DBTY bracelet with three 10 or 12 pointers is possible in this budget? I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to get three 15 pointers with this budgets, and I'm also assuming I would NOT be able to get anything (10, 12, or 15 pointers) with five stations with this budget. Also, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on these:

http://www.b2cjewels.com/Diamond-bracelets/Diamond-Station-Bracelet-Diamonds-Sterling-Silver-(1-3-cttw...)-10840.aspx
http://www.b2cjewels.com/Diamond-bracelets/Diamond-Station-Bracelet-Diamonds-Sterling-Silver-(1-2-cttw...)-10844.aspx

The price is tempting, and I'm assuming it priced so low partially because it's in sterling silver. I have no issues with sterling - I like silver, but I wonder if these are sacrificing horribly with quality in general? I wouldn't normally go for I1 clarity in something like a ring, but for a bracelet and considering the diamonds are so small, I wonder if it would be ok? I would appreciate any thoughts!

If the B2C bracelets are not recommended and it's not realistic to get a DBTY made in my budget, then I'm really considering the BN bracelet PintoBean posted. I also love all the pearls that have been posted and have already decided I'll definitely be getting a bracelet from Pearl Paradise for the wedding! :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not realistic to make a decent quality DBTY bracelet with 3 stones under $500. I'd do good quality or not at all. But I found a picture by accident of what looks like a bar bracelet. I think it would be somewhat fragile, but I thought it was very pretty in this picture.

_36016.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But my thoughts on a DBTY is that it is a forever bracelet, perfect to wear casually alone or with another bracelet. I have a DBTY bracelet and a tennis bracelet and use them for different things. I'd never take apart a DBTY to use the diamonds. A lot of the money is in the bracelet itself! Go for fine quality in whatever you buy and you'll have lifetime pieces.

This is the one I'd recommend for when it is in the budget:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-bracelets/whiteflash-by-the-yard-bracelet-677.htm

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Thank you DiamondSeeker - you actually confirmed some thoughts I've been having about all of this. That picture with the bar bracelet is indeed very pretty, and I just may go in that direction after all. I also appreciate your thoughts re. a DBTY as a forever bracelet. I like the idea of using those diamonds towards a tennis bracelet, but I didn't realize so much of the cost is in the bracelet itself.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Another thought I had when thinking about DBTY bracelets...do you all think smaller diamonds with more stations is better or bigger diamonds with smaller stations? I'm trying to figure out if 7-8 stations with 5 point or 6 point diamonds would be more or less appealing than 3-5 stations with 10 or 12 point diamonds... :think:

Of course, it looks like it'll be awhile before I actually make this purchase, but I like to pre-plan things out as much as possible.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you have enviably dainty 5.5" wrists, I'd say go for the bar bracelet now, esp. The rose gold one since its on sale if you like rose gold. Then save up for a dbty bracelet. If you look at my SMTB thread, for the bar bracelet, I have in the last two pics a comparison shot of the bar bracelet, 20, 10, and 5 pointers that are bezeled. Then stack them lololol.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
girlyglam|1452884671|3976457 said:
Another thought I had when thinking about DBTY bracelets...do you all think smaller diamonds with more stations is better or bigger diamonds with smaller stations? I'm trying to figure out if 7-8 stations with 5 point or 6 point diamonds would be more or less appealing than 3-5 stations with 10 or 12 point diamonds... :think:

Of course, it looks like it'll be awhile before I actually make this purchase, but I like to pre-plan things out as much as possible.

I am a planner, too!

The bigger diamonds are more expensive. So the ones with more smaller diamonds cost less. I would not do any size DBTY bracelet with less than 5 stones. I would say 5-7 stones no matter the size of the diamonds (but 6-7 if the stones are small). I think mine has 6 and the stones are 15 points each.

The other reason that it is not a good idea to take apart a DBTY to make a tennis bracelet is that you will do much better buying a ready-made tennis bracelet than having one custom made with some of your own diamonds. It just wouldn't save you enough money in the long run. Not to mention, you can still wear your DBTY bracelet daily if you want, but most people don't wear a tennis bracelet daily unless maybe they have a job where they are more dressed up.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked back and see that the stock WF bracelet has 8 6-point stones, approximately. I think 8 is great if the stones are that small. I have a shorter DBTY necklace that has 7 point stones, I believe, and they are quite small. So my recommendation is to wait and save and have one made with 10 point stones or higher.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
So, shortly after first posting this thread, I had reached out the IDJ for quotes on a dbty bracelet, just to see what I should aim to budget for, and they got back to me today. It turns out that actually, I might be able to make this work, so I'm seriously considering it! But, I'm struggling on what size diamond and how many.

Would you prefer:

- 3 .15ct diamonds = .45ctw
- 5 .10 ct diamonds = .50ctw
- 5 .12 diamonds = .60ctw (this one would be a slight stretch on the budget, but still doable)

I have a 5.5inch wrist, and I'd likely get the bracelet made at 6 or 6.25 inches. This would be my first nice bracelet, and I intend it to be both an everyday bracelet and a forever piece.

I'm trying to decide between few diamonds at a bigger size or more diamonds at a smaller size. Since I have a smaller wrist, I feel like maybe I could get away with three, but I don't know. I'm not sure what would look best. Or, if I were to go with 5 stations, I can't figure out if there is enough of a visual difference between .10ct and .12ct to justify the higher cost. I've searched the forum for pictures and examples, but I still can't decide...What do you all think?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results