shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought these black pearls 6 years ago

CUSO

Shiny_Rock
My wife has never worn them once! Are they that bad? Do they look terrible? Please be hones, you wont hurt me if you say they are crap!!

photo_13.jpg pearl%201.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can't tell much from those pix ... but I'm wondering if she just doesn't like them with her skin tone? When I have something that I liked but don't end up wearing much its usually a skin tone issue -- where I try it on over & over but it never looks right with *me*. (At first you might just think "this outfit" or "this neckline" ... but eventually you realize "ME!")

Maybe you could talk it over with her & see if that's the case .... maybe you could have it made into a double strand bracelet (less skin tone oriented -- away from the face) ... OR you could consign it at a local or online jeweler & use the $$ to get something she WOULD wear all the time.

Are they dyed akoyas or dyed freshwater? Some ladies don't like dyed pearls?? Some do though. Some prefer small pearls, some prefer large :)

If you ever want to get her another strand, talk it over with her and if she wants another strand we would love to help you pick one out.

I highly recommend Pearl Paradise. Many customers have used them (as have I) and they are really a no BS company. You get more than you pay for and if an issue were to arise, they always fix it.

Linky PP: http://www.pearlparadise.com/

ETA: I MUST add that PP has so many strands in a lot of price ranges. Due to the season though they have sold a lot of online stock it looks like, so I would keep checking, as they always add more things. It's not uncommon to buy a tahitian strand for $5k-$10k+

iLander

Ideal_Rock
We can't tell anything from those pics, Cuso. You wouldn't take a picture of a watch from that far away, would you?

They're probably too small for her, do you have a calliper? How big are they? I have a strand of Mikimoto that I never wear because the 7.5 mm is just too small for my particular taste. There seems to be a large number of pearls there, which to me, indicate that they are smaller pearls.

Just like watches, pearls have levels of quality, style, size, etc. There is just as much to learn about pearls, and we have levels from Timex to Patek.

To start, check out tagsinger's middle of this page:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-pearls.108856/page-16']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-pearls.108856/page-16[/URL] Her Tahitians are considered excellent. See all the variation in tones and color? See the size and presence of the strand? An excellent strand of pearls is undeniable, even to an untrained eye.

I purchased goldens from this guy: http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian_pearl_necklaces.htm Check out his Tahitians, the higher priced are higher quality. Bet you didn't know there could be so many colors under "black" pearls! Compare the colors to your wife's strand. Then measure your wife's strand, every pearl mm makes a difference in rarity and price. How's the luster on her strand? Does it seem to "glow" in low light? How about blemishes? Are they perfectly round or slightly off-round? All of these are factors.

So, give us better pics and we'll give you better info. :D

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Its hard to tell the size from the picture, but they look like they are too small to be Tahitians. I have a very similar looking strand. It is 7.0-7.5 mm died freshwater pearls and to be honnest, I never wear it. Although pretty in their own way, died pearls just can't be compared to Tahitians. They have a different look. Some people really like it and some don't. My point is that they need to be appreciated for what they are, and not compared to other black pearls. My mom has a nice strand of Tahitian pearls and I found myself comparing the two strands. My strand just looks different. It doesn't have the presence that her Tahitians do (to be fair, mine are smaller pearls, but I'm talking about the color and lustre and everything). I drool over her strand, I just like mine. Maybe your wife has seen some nice Tahitians and prefers how they look?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results