shape
carat
color
clarity

bought a small ruby from Gene

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw a similar one on his website but it was sold faster than I could finish my conversation with Gene! He had a little bit of material left so he cut me another one. I haven''t seen it, it looks pretty seductive in picture. I have an ancient ring with a small sapphire and want to reproduce the design. One thing is, I don''t know how much diamond openwork can cost these days. It is pretty delicate.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
You know the rules !!!!!

No pictures = no answers
9.gif
3.gif
9.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK I shall post pictures of the ruby once it arrives. Asked my appraiser to email me photographs of my small sapphire cab ring - it is difficult to photograph because it is too small. As soon as I get them I am going to post them here. I was mainly thinking of something who is not expensive and yet can work with diamonds.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s right: this thread is useless without pictures.
11.gif
9.gif
Looking forward to pics of both the new stone and existing setting.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK I did not buy a tsavorite today but I bought an Ethiopian cross. It is beautiful and my idea is to replace one of the "globes" with a ruby - if it fits. I haven't yet seen the ruby but I tried other small rubies in the store and it looked nice. The cheapest "antique-looking" rings on e-bay were in the range of $ 400.00. This one is 22 ct gold and may cost less that a ring. Sorry, can not put the photograph of a ruby but I am going to continue this thread till I get the ruby and then ask for your opinion.

ethiopcross2.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cross is too beautiful to be tampered with.
39.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was my original idea. But work may be expensive and I do not know who works in such a style. The sapphire is antique cushion so the bezel should be "standing" on angles. With the cross, I initially thought the same way as you do (i.e. that it was too beautiful, but provided the ruby is not too dark and is small enough, I can leave the cross as it is on one side. The "globe" can be lazered off on the other side and the ruby can be put in the opening (the "globe" on the other side will serve as an enclosed, "gypsy" setting). So the cross could be reversible. Again, I have to look at the ruby but since I am already committed to do something with it, I may try.

Actually this cross is a version of Greek orthodox, we wear similar ones in Russia. Truth is, I have a pair of wonderful Ethiopian 22-ct earrings, same style, and almost never wear them. Now they may have a better chance.

mysaph123.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2010 10:14:16 PM
Author: crasru
This was my original idea.
RING! It's going to be a beauty in there. Now...what about a picture of the ruby?
31.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah! That depends on Gene and UPS.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am behaving like an expectant mother. Buying a crib, discussing clothes for the baby. While the baby is sleeping in a padded envelope.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here comes the baby

ruby 405.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink...

ruby406.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really tried not to make the shot too bright

ruby409.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may be a little bit too dark

ruby410.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But beautiful

ruby411.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more...

ruby412.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My lamp is orangey...but just to show the brilliance!

ruby413.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... I would welcome any idea about setting. I thought about bezeling it and making something similar to my antique ring. But I do not know how delicate and time-consuming the work may be and how much I shall have to pay for the project. Gene did a very good work with cutting a small 0.8 ct ruby out of a tiny piece of material, but the ruby is small. So I guess I am just looking for best value for my money. Other ideas on the setting welcome, as well as recommendations re. jewelers working in the style similar to the one used in the ring. Now that I have seen the ruby I agree that setting it in the cross is not a good idea.

I have looked for antique mountings on the ebay and did not find anything that would fit.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 11:49:25 PM
Here comes the baby

nice nice
it looks like the 0.38 ct. lake baringo ruby he listed recently..

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 1:23:03 AM
Author: haagen_dazs

Here comes the baby

nice nice

No it was not me. When I saw that the 0.38 ct one was sold I got in touch with Gene and barraged him with questions, reminders and pleadings till he cut me another one. This one is 5.38 mm. in diameter and from Gene's description I understand that it was very hard to cut since he did not have much material left. I usually prefer larger stones, and redder rubies, but for some reason, I liked this baby the moment I saw it.

With my pictures, though...I tried so hard to avoid "bright tweezers" effect that I inadvertently made pictures too dark. Sorry.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru,
That ruby screams for high karat yellow gold.
1.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty! I agree to set it in yellow gold...18k.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 9:04:07 AM
Author: Chrono
Crasru,
That ruby screams for high karat yellow gold.
1.gif
Oh, you are absolutely right. Not to mention that I usually prefer yellow gold unless there is a lot of orange or yellow in a stone. Do you have any advices about the design? I never bought such small pieces and do not have many ideas except for bezeling it and using channel-set diamonds or making something akin to the ring that I showed above. However, the center stone in the ring is bleak; this ruby is very bright and may not need such an amount of "lace" around it.

I also think that placing it not as a "quadrat'' but as a "rhomb" (on angles) could be more interesting.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And, oh, does anyone know if in principle bezeling such a cut has posed difficulty for jewellers. Gene told me it is an antique cushion.

KarmaRocks

Rough_Rock
Who is Gene and what is is website? :)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 12:03:53 PM
Author: KarmaRocks

Who is Gene and what is is website? :)
Precisiongem.com

His name is Gene Flanagan, he is a precision cutter.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The outline is so lovely that I’d want to play it up as much as possible; therefore bezeling it may not be in the cards for that ruby. I’d do prong work with some fancy details or decoration around it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok thank you. I''ll try.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
can''t wait to see what you come up with!

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Wow
Between the time he launched the ruby on his website to him cutting and shipping you the new ruby, that must have been less than 1-2 weeks.
He cuts fast!
=)
I wonder if he has any more of this baringo material left
haha

Date: 1/29/2010 1:28:07 AM
Date: 1/29/2010 1:23:03 AM

Author: haagen_dazs

Here comes the baby

nice nice

No it was not me. When I saw that the 0.38 ct one was sold I got in touch with Gene and barraged him with questions, reminders and pleadings till he cut me another one. This one is 5.38 mm. in diameter and from Gene''s description I understand that it was very hard to cut since he did not have much material left. I usually prefer larger stones, and redder rubies, but for some reason, I liked this baby the moment I saw it.

With my pictures, though...I tried so hard to avoid ''bright tweezers'' effect that I inadvertently made pictures too dark. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results