shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought a rock finally - 1.01 carat.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

drewbot

Rough_Rock
So I went the Flea-bay route.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=200298765001

It's a shot in the dark. The seller has 5000+ positive feedback rating, and of the 2300 within the last year, 23 negatives. None of the negatives reported that the seller would not (or did not) live up to the no-questions-asked return policy. Most had something to do with negotiations, or confusion. One claimed that the clarity was not as described.

So I guess the worst case is that I send it back! I have a friend who is a jewler in town and he directed me to a local GIA certed diamond guy who will take a look at it for me.

Now i need a setting! This is the setting my girlfriend likes:
imgnotfound.jpg

http://www.pricescope.com/images/imgnotfound.jpg

It's from Fred Meyer jewlers but I can't find it anywhere by itself. Anyone know where to start looking?

Thanks!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
32.gif
$922 for a 1 ct stone?
innocentwhistle.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to be negative but I can''t imagine that your going to be happy with that stone.
32.gif
32.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Ditto and Ditto - sorry, but this has disaster written all over it.
Did you ever see a real life photo of the stone? You realize that is just a stock image, not what you are buying?

Just because there are no negatives, doesn't mean the stuff is good. To start with, there are many many ppl who buy from ebay and have no idea what they are buying. They are happy when they get it as they don't know any better.
Also, ebay only recently changed the f/b process, so before most were afraid to leave negs incase of retaliation - I know I was.

I am by no means an ebay hater - infact I have bought a nbr of jewellery items from there with great success.
But I'm sorry, I don't think is going to be a success story.
Before you even think of getting a setting, if you think you want to keep the stone you need to get to an appraiser, so they can tell you what you *really* have.

Not to mention, do you know how your girl will feel having an engagement diamond from "fleabay" as you put it?
40.gif

drewbot

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 9:17:57 AM
Author: arjunajane
Ditto and Ditto - sorry, but this has disaster written all over it.
Did you ever see a real life photo of the stone? You realize that is just a stock image, not what you are buying?

Just because there are no negatives, doesn't mean the stuff is good. To start with, there are many many ppl who buy from ebay and have no idea what they are buying. They are happy when they get it as they don't know any better.
Also, ebay only recently changed the f/b process, so before most were afraid to leave negs incase of retaliation - I know I was.

I am by no means an ebay hater - infact I have bought a nbr of jewellery items from there with great success.
But I'm sorry, I don't think is going to be a success story.
Before you even think of getting a setting, if you think you want to keep the stone you need to get to an appraiser, so they can tell you what you *really* have.

Not to mention, do you know how your girl will feel having an engagement diamond from 'fleabay' as you put it?
40.gif
Yeah I know "if something is too good to be true, it probably isn't." That is the nature of the beast, isn't it? Here's another one that I bid on and WON for $565.90 (same seller). Its "value" is listed as higher than the first purchase; by that measure alone, it's reasonable to assume that one can find a relative price differential and the market is not "highly competative" as the, say, wheat market is.

Nonetheless, I had a couple of local jewelry stores get stones shipped in- prices between $3000 and $6000 with clarity ratings of around SI1-I1. I will be recieving these two diamonds at the same time that the other rocks show up. I am going to compare them side by side. Also, the jewler who works for Fred Meyer is a family friend, and he will be able to give me an opinion. Also, I have a family friend who i mentioned was GIA certified and from the jewlers I talked to "the MOST talented gemologist in the county."

And yes my girlfriend would be excited to know that we have $2500 more for our Mexico honeymoon!

Will keep you posted. If nothing else it will be an excellent learning experience. Let me bear the risk. It's only $24 to ship both rocks back. There's a loose diamond show at one of the local shops today, so I'm going to go check that out as well. Fun fun!

36.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
The HCA is a great tool... It''s used all the time here on PS to evaluate stones. Do you have the specs on the stone? We could plug them in and see what we get. Good luck, I hope your purchase turns out well!

drewbot

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 12:58:20 PM
Author: Tuckins1
The HCA is a great tool... It''s used all the time here on PS to evaluate stones. Do you have the specs on the stone? We could plug them in and see what we get. Good luck, I hope your purchase turns out well!
Thanks! I only have the height and depth. The two stones are 62% and 65% depth, respectively. I shall see what comes around in 3 days, including the "professional" Ideal-Scope kit. I have a really nice camera- I''ll see if i can get it to take god pictures of the stones, also under the ideal scope. I just sold my microscope unfortunately
7.gif
it was a vintage scope in perfect shape. I miss it
15.gif
<---nerd at heart

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/14/2009 6:05:13 PM
Author:drewbot
So I went the Flea-bay route.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=200298765001

It''s a shot in the dark. The seller has 5000+ positive feedback rating, and of the 2300 within the last year, 23 negatives. None of the negatives reported that the seller would not (or did not) live up to the no-questions-asked return policy. Most had something to do with negotiations, or confusion. One claimed that the clarity was not as described.

So I guess the worst case is that I send it back! I have a friend who is a jewler in town and he directed me to a local GIA certed diamond guy who will take a look at it for me.

Now i need a setting! This is the setting my girlfriend likes:
imgnotfound.jpg

http://www.pricescope.com/images/imgnotfound.jpg

It''s from Fred Meyer jewlers but I can''t find it anywhere by itself. Anyone know where to start looking?

Thanks!
Honestly I would have never purchased a SI3/I1 diamond SIGHT UNSEEN and without at bare minimum quality photos! That being said, this isn''t me and this isn''t my diamond! I hope your gamble pays off and you receive a beautiful stone. BUT if its not a good deal PLEASE send it back and don''t try to "make do" because youi''re distracted by the sparkles. A deal is ONLY a deal when you get EXACTLY what you want! Good Luck!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Considering you will have "the MOST talented gemologist in the county" to help you assess your new stones I think you''ll be fine. Let us know how it all works out.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/15/2009 12:51:28 PM
Author: drewbot

Yeah I know 'if something is too good to be true, it probably isn't.' That is the nature of the beast, isn't it? Here's another one that I bid on and WON for $565.90 (same seller). Its 'value' is listed as higher than the first purchase; by that measure alone, it's reasonable to assume that one can find a relative price differential and the market is not 'highly competative' as the, say, wheat market is.

Nonetheless, I had a couple of local jewelry stores get stones shipped in- prices between $3000 and $6000 with clarity ratings of around SI1-I1. I will be recieving these two diamonds at the same time that the other rocks show up. I am going to compare them side by side. Also, the jewler who works for Fred Meyer is a family friend, and he will be able to give me an opinion. Also, I have a family friend who i mentioned was GIA certified and from the jewlers I talked to 'the MOST talented gemologist in the county.'

And yes my girlfriend would be excited to know that we have $2500 more for our Mexico honeymoon!

Will keep you posted. If nothing else it will be an excellent learning experience. Let me bear the risk. It's only $24 to ship both rocks back. There's a loose diamond show at one of the local shops today, so I'm going to go check that out as well. Fun fun!

36.gif
if he's so talented ,he should of advise you to pass on these two POS stones.
14.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Be sure to keep us posted, as long as SHE is pleased w/ the stone and the setting you choose that is all that matters, if you got a great deal in the process, more power to you. I'd be a tad skeptical - but I am always the devil's ad!
11.gif

***also, on a side note, my ER that I was to wear forever, was not something I wanted my hubby to scrimp on. I'd much prefer to scrimp on the honeymoon than on my ring. That was just me... and I am a spoiled brat who is getting an upgrade soon...***

djscal

Rough_Rock
I myself am in the market for a ring and have been looking at diamonds on ebay. I have noticed that most of them are clarity enhanced stones; not to say that this one is; but just be careful that you are getting what is represented on the site.

If you are ok with that, no problem but realize that you aren''t getting any kind of "deal".

Also, it appears that this stone is not certified by GIA or EGL which are the two most common certifiers. GIA tends to rate stones on a harsher scale than EGL. This stone appears not to have a certification by either. So how do you know what you are even getting?
A non certified diamond is essentially worthless in my humble opinion because they could pulling number out of their *$%! Again, if you are ok with that, just realize that there is no "deal" going on here.

Best of luck to you.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought from that seller (who has a number of other names on Ebay with similar feedback). Typically the diamonds are lower in colour and clarity than described. Also don''t buy a pair because they will undoubtedly be mismatched. I did however buy one diamond from him that was absolutely stunning - so it''s hit and miss. For an e-ring though? Not sure you''ll be happy but good luck.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s amazing.

And I''m not talking about the diamond.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
drew
i don''t understand your mind. members here had given you some good advise on purchasing a diamond,but yet you still hoping to hit the lottery on E-bay,which AIN''T gonna happen.
38.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I for one can''t wait to see this baby! You get what you pay for!
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is nothing at all wrong with buying certified diamonds from reputable sellers on ebay. Stores like Signed Pieces and Pearlman''s sell fine quality diamond jewelry on there all the time.

However, a $900 1 ct. diamond is going to be really, really bad. I''d rather have a nice quality half carat ANY day over a stone like this. You get what you pay for 99.9% of the time. I''d rather have the nice diamond and a shorter honeymoon if that was my choice!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I hope that you are happy with your purchase, please let us know how it goes
35.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 7:29:44 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
There is nothing at all wrong with buying certified diamonds from reputable sellers on ebay. Stores like Signed Pieces and Pearlman''s sell fine quality diamond jewelry on there all the time.

However, a $900 1 ct. diamond is going to be really, really bad. I''d rather have a nice quality half carat ANY day over a stone like this. You get what you pay for 99.9% of the time. I''d rather have the nice diamond and a shorter honeymoon if that was my choice!
No kidding.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds and tattoos: cheaper is not necessarily better.

Good luck!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 2:54:13 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Nonetheless, I had a couple of local jewelry stores get stones shipped in- prices between $3000 and $6000 with clarity ratings of around SI1-I1. I will be recieving these two diamonds at the same time that the other rocks show up. I am going to compare them side by side. Also, the jewler who works for Fred Meyer is a family friend, and he will be able to give me an opinion. Also, I have a family friend who i mentioned was GIA certified and from the jewlers I talked to ''the MOST talented gemologist in the county.''

Will keep you posted. If nothing else it will be an excellent learning experience. Let me bear the risk. It''s only $24 to ship both rocks back. There''s a loose diamond show at one of the local shops today, so I''m going to go check that out as well. Fun fun!

36.gif
if he''s so talented ,he should of advise you to pass on these two POS stones.
14.gif
rofl - ditto.
Any gemmologist worth his loupe would know this is the wrong path.
Sorry, but its true.

Let''s just hope the seller honours his polcies for you.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

if your GF see this rock there may not be a honeymoon!!
creepaway3.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please take this stone to an independent appraiser and save all documentation from the vendor including the return policy in writing.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 12:49:57 AM
Author: kcoursolle
Please take this stone to an independent appraiser and save all documentation from the vendor including the return policy in writing.
I second this. I''m not trying to bash your purchase, just help you protect yourself.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
why waste the money?
20.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 1:24:59 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

why waste the money?
20.gif
I have to agree with DF *in this case*. I wouldn''t spend the ~$150 for this, sorry.
Just have his guy look at it, and maybe a third party jeweller.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results