shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought a ring and rock! Proposal time

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am so glad you are getting a refund. Please be patient and we can help you find an ideal cut and beautiful stone!

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
oh happy news @Corely !
Okay I may be wrong but Cartier at the airport should be duty free for you...US passport traveling from outside EU into EU. You can call ahead of time to check the tax situation and you can definitely reserve an item. If it is not at the shop in the terminal you are flying from you can ask for the item to be bought over from another Cartier shop from a different terminal.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very great information... Thanks so much. My plan B here when I do the refund (assuming he cant provide better which I'm sure he cant) Is the Cartier shop at CDG Airport. They will be in Paris a day before me and I am meeting them there so wont have any time to shop alone and luckily there is a Cartier inside the airport. The Trinity ring is cool but she doesn't do any yellow gold colors.. or green colors.. she is Hispanic and swears it makes her skin look green.. so she doesn't go for that haha. Cartier has its 1895 platinum wedding band for $1760 that has three tiny diamonds in it.. I like the idea that they could represent our family of three that someone suggested for the Trinity. That could be the wedding band if she wants.. but at least its something to propose with in Paris and then spend the rest of the trip discussing and looking at other diamonds. Hopefully they carry it at the airport and it isn't pirce marked up for being at the airport. Thanks so much everyone Ill keep you all posted. Meeting vendor on Sunday.
https://www.cartier.com/en-us/colle...amond-jewelry/b4058300-1895-wedding-band.html

Not to put a damper on your plan but to my knowledge there is only one Cartier at CDG, which is located in terminal T2 E and typically only ticketed passengers departing from that terminal can access that terminal (you need to show your ticket at the security checkpoint at the entrance to the terminal). I have heard you may be able to request some sort of shopping pass from the Air France desk, but I have no first hand experience with that and I don’t think arriving passengers can access terminal T2 E at all. I’m not sure shopping at CDG is the solution unless you do it when you are departing CDG and can gain access to T2 E. But there are plenty of other Cartier shops in Paris, so if you can get away for an hour you should be able to get to one. GL! And congrats on considering an alternative. No one here has any reason to mislead you in strongly rejecting that ring. You are in good hands with these PSers.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, Cartier at the airport from an incoming flight will be complicated if possible at all. I'm sure you can get a ring easily in town. Just know that to my knowledge the extraordinarily beautiful flagship on place Vendôme is still being renovated atm. The one on Champs Élysées(closest to la défense) sometimes has lines. So if you don't want to make it the ultimate shopping experience with your ff, but go discreetly by yourself, I'd just pop into a store in les grands magasins or a smaller boutique.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should you want her to be there and get the full shopping like a star experience, Van Cleef and Arpels Place Vendôme is more like museum than a shop. Soooo pretty. For 1700 € you could get this nearly identical design :https://www.vancleefarpels.com/eu/f...aro9y600-tendrement-etoiles-wedding-band.html

If you need someone to call different boutiques for availability or anything like that, I'd be happy to help you out (SAs usually speak English,but calling a shop is sometimes different )

Last edited:

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
@Corely which airport are you two departing from?

Corely

Rough_Rock
Wow you guys are all awesome. I thought about that yesterday. The whole duty free arrival and might not be able to purchase. I sent Cartier an email yesterday and have not heard back from them just yet. I am leaving from Dubai which had an insane airport. Only downside is my flight leaves at 3am. So I doubt the shops will be open. I might be able to ask about that when I arrive at Dubai the previous day. Maybe they will let me shop and purchase there showing my departure ticket the next day?

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow you guys are all awesome. I thought about that yesterday. The whole duty free arrival and might not be able to purchase. I sent Cartier an email yesterday and have not heard back from them just yet. I am leaving from Dubai which had an insane airport. Only downside is my flight leaves at 3am. So I doubt the shops will be open. I might be able to ask about that when I arrive at Dubai the previous day. Maybe they will let me shop and purchase there showing my departure ticket the next day?

Flown through Dubai a few times. I know that the Dubai duty free shops are 24 hours, but I'm not sure about the designer boutiques (never paid attention to those haha). Would definitely be worth arriving a bit early and checking out though. I you can get into the airport before midnight, they might be open until then. :)

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Should you want her to be there and get the full shopping like a star experience, Van Cleef and Arpels Place Vendôme is more like museum than a shop. Soooo pretty. For 1700 € you could get this nearly identical design :https://www.vancleefarpels.com/eu/f...aro9y600-tendrement-etoiles-wedding-band.html

If you need someone to call different boutiques for availability or anything like that, I'd be happy to help you out (SAs usually speak English,but calling a shop is sometimes different )
First, may I say that this is an excellent offer, that I hope OP takes you up on.... what a gift to have someone call on your behalf, removing the barrier of American culture from this whole transaction. You are very kind and I hope he does this! I certainly would if it were me.
Second, the VCA ring you linked is beautiful and every bit as lovely as the Cartier one, and perhaps the VCA is more exclusive. Very tasteful!
You’re so thoughtful!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I don't know if all international airports do this but at a few that I've flown, the duty free is inside the terminal - ie you have to go through all the security checks and be in the physical airport for you to be able to shop duty free. After your shopping, they take the purchase - mark it with your flight # and seat - and hold on to the purchase until you get on the plane where they distribute the goods. If you're able to go through prior to closing of the shop, you have a great chance of getting the ring, as the airport will then hold the purchase for you.

Corely

Rough_Rock
Man I can't believe how cool all you people are! I'm going to have to show her all these threads of coolness once the proposal is all done. Yall help restore hope that there are good people in the world. It just occurred to me that I am actually staying the night at the Mayden hotel in Dubai and I have about 8 hrs there. There is a Cartier in Dubai in city center I could stop in on the way from the airport to the hotel and pick up the band the day before I fly out. That could be cool.. cause its bought in the middle east which is where I have lived for a year and a half.. and Cartier is a French company where the proposal will take place?... So that could work out. Now I'm teetering between the three stone ring or the legacy band. It is tri colored and she doesn't do gold per se but the watch I got her a couple years ago actually is tri colored and the same shades and would match.. plus she's left handed and wears her watch on her right arm so should could wear the matching legacy ring on the right hand once we find an actual engagement diamond ring for the left hand. I guess Ill decide when I get in the shop. Oh and Dubai as a city is tax free so that's a plus too. You guys are all awesome I cant thank you enough!

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think you've made some really good decisions and I'm so excited for your future fi. This trip/proposal are stupendous and she'll treasure the time, love, hard work and memories put into this.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E55ED1DB-9FC5-4C3F-83EF-CE82FBEF0BE4.jpeg Three cheers.
There’s nothing better as a Pricescoper than “saving the day”.
The 3 tone Cartier ring is legendary and as there is a mix of metal colours I doubt if it will clash with your fiancée to be’s skin tone.
And here’s a little pic off eBay (not a ring suggestion btw) but I wanted you to see what fine jewellery workmanship looks like, this is the quality you should (and will !!!) be able to get.
Keep us in the loop, we LOVE these adventures!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really, at this point, why surprise her with something you don't know whether she would like for her wedding band? Please just take her in Cartier or Van Cleef in Paris and let HER choose a wedding band. That experience would be one that would last a lifetime. I love the Cartier Trinity band, but honestly, it will not go with the engagement ring design she likes. That's why I think you need to give her the pleasure of trying on bands and deciding what she likes best.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about the Cartier Trinity as a promise ring. She can wear it on whichever hand she likes and still get a Lovely ering and wedding band. Women generally like to choose their own wedding band. I have a rolling ring that I wear on my right hand all the time.

Last edited:

Corely

Rough_Rock
Really, at this point, why surprise her with something you don't know whether she would like for her wedding band? Please just take her in Cartier or Van Cleef in Paris and let HER choose a wedding band. That experience would be one that would last a lifetime. I love the Cartier Trinity band, but honestly, it will not go with the engagement ring design she likes. That's why I think you need to give her the pleasure of trying on bands and deciding what she likes best.

Oh the trinity ring is just so I can give her something at that restaurant L'aperouse in Paris and do the proposal... wouldn't be for a wedding band. She can wear it on the other arm with her matching color watch I got her a few years ago. Just a ring to present and then talk about diamond shopping after.. not a band ya it wouldn't match anything.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It could easily be a right hand ring. I love the idea. Also OP keep in mind that the dominant hand is often 0.5 size bigger than the less dominant... but as a lefty, I’m not sure if that holds true. Can anyone weigh in?

Oh the trinity ring is just so I can give her something at that restaurant L'aperouse in Paris and do the proposal... wouldn't be for a wedding band. She can wear it on the other arm with her matching color watch I got her a few years ago. Just a ring to present and then talk about diamond shopping after.. not a band ya it wouldn't match anything.

I agree. It’s perfect! Great connection to Paris and Dubai and your family of three. There is always a risk that a gift recipient won’t love a gift- but the thought you’re putting into it will likely be appreciated, and a right hand ring she can wear as she pleases not every day.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could easily be a right hand ring. I love the idea. Also OP keep in mind that the dominant hand is often 0.5 size bigger than the less dominant... but as a lefty, I’m not sure if that holds true. Can anyone weigh in?

I agree. It’s perfect! Great connection to Paris and Dubai and your family of three. There is always a risk that a gift recipient won’t love a gift- but the thought you’re putting into it will likely be appreciated, and a right hand ring she can wear as she pleases not every day.

Several of my leftie friends wear their wedding rings on the right just for comfort and minimizing bashing them into stuff.

ctsamg

Rough_Rock
Man I can't believe how cool all you people are! I'm going to have to show her all these threads of coolness once the proposal is all done. Yall help restore hope that there are good people in the world. It just occurred to me that I am actually staying the night at the Mayden hotel in Dubai and I have about 8 hrs there. There is a Cartier in Dubai in city center I could stop in on the way from the airport to the hotel and pick up the band the day before I fly out. That could be cool.. cause its bought in the middle east which is where I have lived for a year and a half.. and Cartier is a French company where the proposal will take place?... So that could work out. Now I'm teetering between the three stone ring or the legacy band. It is tri colored and she doesn't do gold per se but the watch I got her a couple years ago actually is tri colored and the same shades and would match.. plus she's left handed and wears her watch on her right arm so should could wear the matching legacy ring on the right hand once we find an actual engagement diamond ring for the left hand. I guess Ill decide when I get in the shop. Oh and Dubai as a city is tax free so that's a plus too. You guys are all awesome I cant thank you enough!

She can likely exchange at any cartier without an issue! Just keep the receipt.

Might I recommend you go with her to cartier to look at options for exchange and to discuss engagement rings that she likes? I did a lot of retail browsing with my fiancee to understand her likes (but then had a strone picked from Martin at USA Certed and a wedding custom made). It saved me over $30k from Cartier and Graff!

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, I see! I think the Trinity band is a much better stand alone ring than the other. If you read the story of the design, it is even more meaningful.

http://www.thejewelleryeditor.com/jewellery/article/trinity-de-cartier-an-enduring-symbol-of-love/

I'd get this one, personally, for a right hand or standalone ring on either hand. It's the classic size.

https://www.cartier.com/en-us/colle...r/rings/b4052700-trinity-de-cartier-ring.html

I think it will be easier to exchange in Paris if you buy it in Paris if the need arises.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I see! I think the Trinity band is a much better stand alone ring than the other. If you read the story of the design, it is even more meaningful.

http://www.thejewelleryeditor.com/jewellery/article/trinity-de-cartier-an-enduring-symbol-of-love/

I'd get this one, personally, for a right hand or standalone ring on either hand. It's the classic size.

https://www.cartier.com/en-us/colle...r/rings/b4052700-trinity-de-cartier-ring.html

I think it will be easier to exchange in Paris if you buy it in Paris if the need arises.

I can’t believe I didn’t know the story! Wow so romantic! I’m thrilled you linked to that article!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

I’d say that’s about right. I have a Cartier Trinity that I wear to work as a wedding ring on my left hand. When I go out and wear my “real” ring, I put it on my right ring finger. I can wear it, but it is a little small.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Good thinking. The Cartier trinity makes an excellent right hand ring. With the tri-color bands, it goes with pretty much everything. :)

Buying it at the Cartier in Dubai city center seems is a great idea, but I would still get it at the duty free Cartier boutique in the airport if you are able to get into the terminal before they close. I just looked it up, and apparently the Cartier boutiques in both the city center and Dubai Airport close at midnight Thursday through Saturday.

The reason is because of VAT. Dubai actually just issued a VAT of 5% beginning in 2018. You can get a refund at the airport through the Global Blue program, but that is honestly more of a hassle than it's worth if you can avoid it. Probably easier to just get it within the terminal if at all possible.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
I have had the trinity ring for a number of years and I love it! Usually I wear it on my right hand either by itself or in front of another ring Iike a gemstone ring. It’s versatile.

Also while I may not have your fiancés skin tone exactly I think I’m close...I am of Greek descent so I have warm undertones to my skin and it’s quite olive. In winter I’m super pale and look greenish haha! In summer I tan and go bronze. Regardless of season the trinity ring looks awesome on me. Plus it’s so easy to match with my outfit. I also love playing with it haha!
I hope this is of some reassurance that it will work on her.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had the trinity ring for a number of years and I love it! Usually I wear it on my right hand either by itself or in front of another ring Iike a gemstone ring. It’s versatile.

Also while I may not have your fiancés skin tone exactly I think I’m close...I am of Greek descent so I have warm undertones to my skin and it’s quite olive. In winter I’m super pale and look greenish haha! In summer I tan and go bronze. Regardless of season the trinity ring looks awesome on me. Plus it’s so easy to match with my outfit. I also love playing with it haha!
I hope this is of some reassurance that it will work on her.

Ohhhh good point, it's so fun to wear! It's like an adult fidget spinner! I love rolling rings.

Also, OP, if your gal is into brand recognition at all... the Cartier rolling ring is more recognizable than the band with three diamonds. They're both lovely but I just wanted to mention that angle in case it's relevant.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ohhhh good point, it's so fun to wear! It's like an adult fidget spinner! I love rolling rings.

Also, OP, if your gal is into brand recognition at all... the Cartier rolling ring is more recognizable than the band with three diamonds. They're both lovely but I just wanted to mention that angle in case it's relevant.

That's a good point. When I think Cartier, I think trinity ring and tank watch.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a good point. When I think Cartier, I think trinity ring and tank watch.

Yup. And I'm not normally a brand whore... but if well-known items are foisted on me, I'd be lying if I said I don't enjoy when someone says, "Oh, is that a ___???" :twisted2: Oh yes, yes it is.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
@pearaffair yeah I wish my adult toys were the same price as my barbies/LEGO etc when I was a child! :shock: Haha oh well I do the same with necklaces and earrings especially.. I consider how fun it will be to fidget with!!;)2:D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results