shape
carat
color
clarity

BORED. Please recommend books...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mysteries, Paranormal or Urban Fantasy, and Romance only please.

I would prefer something with humor.

I am tired of hunting out books... it's become a chore recently. So I thought I'd see what you all have to recommend.

TIA!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Have you read much of Dean Koontz for the paranormal genre?
Did you read 50 shades ( I know this seems like it might be fluff but I don't read fluff and it was good)?
Have you read Diana Gabaldon's books?
Read Wicked, Mirror Mirror?
Love in the Time of Cholera
100 Years of Solitude
It?
Pet Cemetary?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411|1355865256|3334949 said:
Have you read much of Dean Koontz for the paranormal genre? Never got into her.
Did you read 50 shades ( I know this seems like it might be fluff but I don't read fluff and it was good)? Not interested, I'm sorry to say.
Have you read Diana Gabaldon's books? Yes, love them.
Read Wicked, Mirror Mirror? I haven't but I've been advised by good friends that if I loved the Broadway show the book for Wicked and it's fixation on sex would ruin it for me, so I don't have it on my list.
Love in the Time of Cholera Long time ago.
100 Years of Solitude No.
It? Yes. Not my thing.
Pet Cemetary? Yes, not my thing.

I don't care for suspense/horror stuff. Thank you Dragonfly. :wavey:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you ever read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency books? Fun little mysteries. I also really like the Isabel Dalhousie series, also by Alexander McCall Smith.

Other good books I've read lately (loving borrowing books from the library on my Kindle!):
Memoirs:
Wild (From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail) by Cheryl Strayed
Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness (Open Road) by William Styron

Kind of sci-fi:
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Novels:
The Magic Christian by Terry Southern
Homer & Langley: A Novel by E.L. Doctorow

ETA: Oops, these don't all fit into your categories, but I'm leaving them in case you're interested!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Had another thought-what about the Jasper Fforde "Thursday Next" books? They're mystery/fantasy type books. He has other series as well that seem to be fantasy/sci-fi/mysteries.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
K no suspsense horror - can you explain paranormal so I have a better idea?

Mystery - Have you read Carl Hiassen?
Jimmy Buffett has a couple of books out that are fun.
Read Memoirs of a Geisha?
I ask this all the time but have you read Terry Goodkind's books?

Would you be interested in any non fiction if they were more like a story?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thing2 some of those are interesting and a the Thursday next was was on my 'maybe' list radar. I'll take a closer look at it.

Dragonfly, Urban Fantasy is a sub-genre http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_fantasy The plot is typically mystery or fantasy (epic, journey, kill bad guy), there are paranormal elements/characters/species (fantasy genre) but there it isn't horror as there is very little or no suspense, and it is set in an urban environment like a city.

Paranormal means just that. Paranormal. Witches, vampires, werewolves, etc. Under the genre of romance, or mystery, I like subgenre of "paranormal", or "paranormal" romance, or "paranormal mystery." So it's STILL mystery, romance, or fantasy but the plot of the characters might have paranormal elements.

Fantasy normally includes a paranormal aspect so there is no need to state the "paranormal" (HUGE TYPO ABOVE) But since I favor fantasies in an Urban setting, the sub genre is "urban fantasy".

A good example of paranormal romance is Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series.
A good example of paranormal mystery is Darynda Jones Charley Davidson Series (although this crosses a bit to urban fantasy too) or Victoria Laurie's Psychic Eye series (straight Paranormal Mystery).
A good example of Urban Fantasy is Ilona Andews Kate Daniel's series, or Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series.

:wavey:

Mystery - Have you read Carl Hiassen? I didn't get his humor, but yes I have read him.
Jimmy Buffett has a couple of books out that are fun. I'd check those out
Read Memoirs of a Geisha? Totally not my type of thing
I ask this all the time but have you read Terry Goodkind's books? Yes, he is traditional fantasy and part of the reason I don't read the genre anymore unless my husband has vetted it first. He reads straight fantasy. If you like this type of book I HIGHLY recommend Brent Weeks Night Angel series

And no, I dislike any type of non-fiction. Even narratives.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1355864063|3334921 said:

!

The above is CONFUSING. I am re-stating.

Cozy (funny) or Paranormal Mysteries , Urban Fantasy, and Paranormal and Contemporary Romance only please.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
thing2of2|1355866579|3334974 said:
Did you ever read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency books? Fun little mysteries. I also really like the Isabel Dalhousie series, also by Alexander McCall Smith.

Other good books I've read lately (loving borrowing books from the library on my Kindle!):
Memoirs:
Wild (From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail) by Cheryl Strayed
Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness (Open Road) by William Styron

Kind of sci-fi:
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Novels:
The Magic Christian by Terry Southern
Homer & Langley: A Novel by E.L. Doctorow

ETA: Oops, these don't all fit into your categories, but I'm leaving them in case you're interested!

I was so excited about Miss P (and I think it fits into the Paranormal Fantasy category well)...but I was not thrilled with the way the story played out or how it ended. Suuuuuuch a great premise and it fell short for me. But, it's a quick read and many people love it, so I may be off base, and it's certainly worth a try.

Let's see...

Hangman's Daughter, Oliver Potzsch; mystery, witchcraft, medieval Germany. I enjoyed it- not overly lengthy or involved, nice little mystery.

The Host, Stephenie Meyer: NOT Twilighty; dystopian alien invasion and subsequent rebellion of the humans, tied up in a love story. It seems slow at first and then all of the sudden your half way through and you must.know.what.happens.

Atonement, Ian McEwan: A romance, albiet of different sort. English, WWII, this is a lurve it or f$#@%^& hate it book. I loved it, it took my breath away.

Anything by Isbel Allende, but start with The House of the Spirts: magical realism, South American family's saga, romance, rebellion, political unrest. Highly recommend.

ETA: Just read your updates. These aren't really funny. Elements of humor, but not what I would call 'cozy'. Except for Atonement which is seriously NOT FUNNY. With a vengence. And except for The Host, they are all historical is some context. So probably not really what you are actually looking for :D But I stand by the rec's for their quality.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I'm really enjoying Jill Shalvis lately for easy, fun romance.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1355868598|3335003 said:
I was so excited about Miss P (and I think it fits into the Paranormal Fantasy category well)...but I was not thrilled with the way the story played out or how it ended. Suuuuuuch a great premise and it fell short for me. But, it's a quick read and many people love it, so I may be off base, and it's certainly worth a try. You aren't the first to say that. That's why it was on my 'maybe' list. Interesting

Let's see...

Hangman's Daughter, Oliver Potzsch; mystery, witchcraft, medieval Germany. I enjoyed it- not overly lengthy or involved, nice little mystery. Sounds really good, I'm going to look into that

The Host, Stephenie Meyer: NOT Twilighty; dystopian alien invasion and subsequent rebellion of the humans, tied up in a love story. It seems slow at first and then all of the sudden your half way through and you must.know.what.happens. I don't know... how does it end? I HATED the last 1/2 of the final twilight book, the rest of it was okay

Atonement, Ian McEwan: A romance, albiet of different sort. English, WWII, this is a lurve it or f$#@%^& hate it book. I loved it, it took my breath away.Sad ending or happy?

Anything by Isbel Allende, but start with The House of the Spirts: magical realism, South American family's saga, romance, rebellion, political unrest. Highly recommend. I love the House of Spirits, but it was sad. I am more in the mood for light and funny.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
For contemporary romance, I highly recommend Shannon Stacey's Kowalski series (books 1, 2, and 3). Book 3 is hilarious. Books 4 and 5 came out recently and 6 is due soon, but I like to wait until I have a full series on my Kindle and then read them all at once, so I can't vouch for those. Yet.

Other favorite contemporary romance authors include Kristan Higgins, Julie James, and Victoria Dahl, but if you are a romance reader you probably know them already. Let me know if you don't and I can suggest a few titles to start with.

Also, I know you said paranormal or contemporary romance only, but you might enjoy Lauren Willig's "The Mischief of the Mistletoe". It is a Regency romance (not normally my cup of tea!), but very smart, funny, and seasonal.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, Have you read anything by Patrricia Briggs? Alot like kresley Cole but a little more humor I think, her Mercedes Thompson series is excellent, Also try Mary Janice Davidsons undead series, very funny and Gerry Bartlets Real vampires series also lots of humor. Enjoy!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1355868813|3335009 said:
aviastar|1355868598|3335003 said:
I was so excited about Miss P (and I think it fits into the Paranormal Fantasy category well)...but I was not thrilled with the way the story played out or how it ended. Suuuuuuch a great premise and it fell short for me. But, it's a quick read and many people love it, so I may be off base, and it's certainly worth a try. You aren't the first to say that. That's why it was on my 'maybe' list. Interesting

Let's see...

Hangman's Daughter, Oliver Potzsch; mystery, witchcraft, medieval Germany. I enjoyed it- not overly lengthy or involved, nice little mystery. Sounds really good, I'm going to look into that

The Host, Stephenie Meyer: NOT Twilighty; dystopian alien invasion and subsequent rebellion of the humans, tied up in a love story. It seems slow at first and then all of the sudden your half way through and you must.know.what.happens. I don't know... how does it end? I HATED the last 1/2 of the final twilight book, the rest of it was okay
Atonement, Ian McEwan: A romance, albiet of different sort. English, WWII, this is a lurve it or f$#@%^& hate it book. I loved it, it took my breath away.Sad ending or happy?

Anything by Isbel Allende, but start with The House of the Spirts: magical realism, South American family's saga, romance, rebellion, political unrest. Highly recommend. I love the House of Spirits, but it was sad. I am more in the mood for light and funny.

Host is happy- typically Stephanie Meyer, it all wraps up very neatly. I liked it.

Atonement is sad, probably you should skip it.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
What about funny/goofy paranormal stuff? Christopher Moore has some hilarious books (off the top of my head I think you'd like "A Dirty Job" - Joe Schmoe turns into the Grim Reaper or "The Stupidest Angel" - the angel in charge of the Christmas wish gets it just a bit wrong and raises a horde of zombies). Easy reads, absolutely hilarious. And if you end up liking his style, Lamb is one of my all time favourite books (full title: Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal). Irreverent but not sacriligeous, smart, and hysterical.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you read any of Sarah Addison Allen's books? - kind of contemporary romance with a bit of magic

I also like Jennifer Crusie for contemporary romance - she is funny - good stories, great characters, and brilliant dialog IMO.

Have you read the Myron Bolitar mystery series by Harlan Coben? - he writes a good solid plot but the books are a fairly quick read - I really like his references to pop culture and the way he uses language.

Have you read The Quickening trilogy by Fiona McIntosh? This trilogy is a great read - the 1st book is Myrrhen's Gift... I think The Quickening is her best work - I've read it a couple times now - I read some of her other books and was not impressed.

Did you read the Hush, Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick? The 4th just came out (Finale) but I haven't read it yet, but did enjoy the first three books - it is a Young Adult paranormal/urban fantasy series and a decent read.

Oh, and for cozy - I love Brit author Gil McNeil - I've read all her books more than once but my favorite is the trilogy that starts with The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club (#2 = Needles and Pearls; #3 = is Knit One, Pearl One) - I love her writing - very funny and heartwarming and sarcastic - she also has a way with language - honestly I've laughed out loud when reading her stuff.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1355868307|3334995 said:
I ask this all the time but have you read Terry Goodkind's books? Yes, he is traditional fantasy and part of the reason I don't read the genre anymore unless my husband has vetted it first. He reads straight fantasy. If you like this type of book I HIGHLY recommend Brent Weeks Night Angel series

quote]
Either of you care to illuminate your reasoning, r.e. Terry Goodkind? I've been watching the TV series based off some of his work on Netflix and I am intrigued by the characters. I am a big reader of straight fantasy, although I prefer whimsy, intelligence, and wit over tropes, guts, and sex. Patricia McKillip or Harry Potter over Game of Thrones.

Thanks!!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1355872074|3335076 said:

quote]
Either of you care to illuminate your reasoning, r.e. Terry Goodkind? I've been watching the TV series based off some of his work on Netflix and I am intrigued by the characters. I am a big reader of straight fantasy, although I prefer whimsy, intelligence, and wit over tropes, guts, and sex. Patricia McKillip or Harry Potter over Game of Thrones.

Thanks!!

I'll say that Terry Goodkind's books are much more GoT than HP - I liked most of them and read the whole series, but he lost me after a while with his philosophy and the way he treated his characters. Not my cup of tea. But at that point, I was so invested I had to see how it ended. But I still love the first few books and would re-read Wizard's First Rule pretty much any time.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't seen the TV series.

But for Fantasy series, it is touted as being as good as Wheel of Time and Songs of Ice and Fire, but its just not.

I got through 7 of the 11 the Sword of Truth books and my husband stubborn-ed his way through all of them (though he skimmed the last two out of annoyance as well). What really starts to wear is that EVERY book has the same plot line. Richard and Kahlan, are separated. Richard, despite being less than half trained is never really in jeopardy somehow (you never think he is REALLY gonna die) and defeats whatever it is that he needs to, they are together at the end. At the start of the next book they are pulled apart again. Richard does his thing. Then they are together. Rinse, repeat.

It's monotonous, and repetitive and after a while there is no mystery, no suspense, no... interest left.

If you want a MUCH better example of the genre read either of the two I mention here or the Night Angel series I mentioned before.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have really enjoyed the few that I've read by Sue Grafton, of her Alphabet series. I've read A,B,N,R &U. Kinsey Milhone is a pretty cool female PI - twice divorced, not afraid of a drink or a casual relationship or two.. and they are easy reading mysteries. One of my current favourites!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
artdecogirl|1355869879|3335034 said:
Gypsy, Have you read anything by Patrricia Briggs? Alot like kresley Cole but a little more humor I think, her Mercedes Thompson series is excellent, Also try Mary Janice Davidsons undead series, very funny and Gerry Bartlets Real vampires series also lots of humor. Enjoy!

I love the Patricia Brigs series (both her UF and her PR). I think both are great. I have read Mary Janice's Undead series, the first couple were fun... couldn't maintain it though.

Gerry Bartlet I HAVE not read.... sooo, YAY! Just what I was looking for!

Enerchi, I have to get over the the used Bookstore for those. Or see if they are discounted significantly electronically. I haven't read her, but willing to try.

Keep them coming folks. I read about a book a day or every two days I'd like enough to get through the week or two at least.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Sophie Kinsella books. They're funny and they have romance in them, but they're not what I think of when I think of romance novels. Those would be something with Fabio and his windblown hair (or a more updated version) on the cover.

Jennifer Weiner and Jennifer Cruise get an honorable mention. I also love Hester Browne's books. I see those as chick lit. but you might look them up under contemporary romance.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Romance: Tessa Dare is my recent new romance fav. A bit sexy, definitely humorous, period books.

G.A. Aiken writes a hilarious fantasy/romance series about dragons. It's a little out there, but hilarious and an easy fun read. The first one is called Dragon, Actually.

I forget, did you ever read Jim Butcher's Dresden Files?

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
princesss|1355872485|3335082 said:
aviastar|1355872074|3335076 said:

quote]

Thanks!!

I'll say that Terry Goodkind's books are much more GoT than HP - I liked most of them and read the whole series, but he lost me after a while with his philosophy and the way he treated his characters. Not my cup of tea. But at that point, I was so invested I had to see how it ended. But I still love the first few books and would re-read Wizard's First Rule pretty much any time.

Thanks!

Gypsy said:
I haven't seen the TV series.

But for Fantasy series, it is touted as being as good as Wheel of Time and Songs of Ice and Fire, but its just not.

I got through 7 of the 11 the Sword of Truth books and my husband stubborn-ed his way through all of them (though he skimmed the last two out of annoyance as well). What really starts to wear is that EVERY book has the same plot line. Richard and Kahlan, are separated. Richard, despite being less than half trained is never really in jeopardy somehow (you never think he is REALLY gonna die) and defeats whatever it is that he needs to, they are together at the end. At the start of the next book they are pulled apart again. Richard does his thing. Then they are together. Rinse, repeat.

It's monotonous, and repetitive and after a while there is no mystery, no suspense, no... interest left.

If you want a MUCH better example of the genre read either of the two I mention here or the Night Angel series I mentioned before.

So each book is pretty much a one hour tv episode, haha!

I've read all five SoIaF; the sheer crudeness of the the books really got to me by the end. I can handle it for a while, but it got so repetetive without forwarding any of the characters development, it felt like GRRM was just being shocking for the sake of being shocking. And I was so pissed off by the end of book 5, I don't think I'll be picking the next ones up (if he ever actually finishes them, anyway!). I am down to about 3 characters I care about AT ALL, and they were pretty much left out of that last book.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TOTALLY agree about GRRM. I read the first. DH told me not to read anymore that it would only piss me off. And he is absolutely right. THAT SAID, I love that anyone is fair game. ANY character can die. Which in Terry Goodkind was just silly after a while. Here's a 1000 year old mage unkillable ghost thing. BAM Richard kills it without a scratch. And I really love watching GRRM on TV.

I think you'll like Night Angel. Give it a shot. It's not about assassins. Terrible book synopsis (don't think person writing them bothered to read the book), but great.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1355864063|3334921 said:

I would prefer something with humor.

I have mentioned these authors on Pricescope threads before, but I cannot recommend them highly enough to other consumers of relaxational fiction who have senses of humor: Brian Haig, who wrote a series on a protagonist called Sean Drummond and Nelson DeMille who wrote a series on a protagonist called John Corey. These books make me, at least, laugh out loud, yet they are suspenseful as can be, real page turners.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
These are all mystery writers, but I don't think I'd classify them as "cozies."

Deborah Crombie - first book in the series is A Share in Death. Set in London, I just really *like* the main characters.

Laura Lippman's Tess Monaghan books - first is Baltimore Blues. Main character used to be a newspaper reporter, now a private detective. Not slap your leg funny, but has humorous moments.

Susan Wittig Albert - these might be a little more on the cozy side. First in the series is Thyme of Death. Main character is an attorney turned herb gardner. Another series in which I just *like* the characters.

Laurie King - Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series. First in the series is The Beekeeper's Apprentice. I'm not a Sherlock Holmes fan at all, but I LOVED this book. As far as the rest of the series, some are really good, some are a little weak.

I also like Sue Grafton, and of course, for funny mysteries, Janet Evanovich. The Stephanie Plum books are a pretty light read, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Have you read any of the books from the "Death on Demand" series by Carolyn Hart? They're about a woman who owns a mystery bookstore and gets involved in real cases. Aittle predictable after awhile, but I think they definitely fit the"cozy/humorous mystery" category. It's been years since I read one but I remember them being a fun, light read.

Another fun mystery series is the Archie McNally series by Lawrence Sanders. I haven't read any of the continuation books by a different author who took over after Sanders died, though. I can see how the protagonist could get a bit irritating, but overall I like the books as a quick and kind of silly read.

I also enjoyed a lot of the books by Anne Perry (both the Inspector Monk and Charlotte & Thomas Pitt series). I wouldn't necessarily call them cozy, but I think they are pretty well-written. As a side note, the author was one of the murderers in the incident that inspired the film Heavenly Creatures, which adds kind of a weird dimension to reading her murder mysteries...

Also, I haven't read the book(s?), but there is a British TV series I like called Midsomer Murders that is based on the novel(s?) by Caroline something. In the show, the murders themselves are fairly dark and twisted, but there is an English-countryside feel to it that sort of offsets it...anyway, I can't say if the novels are good or not, but they might fit your criteria.

Other than that, I think my taste is books is pretty much opposite yours, so I can't think of others to recommend.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1355875946|3335121 said:
TOTALLY agree about GRRM. I read the first. DH told me not to read anymore that it would only piss me off. And he is absolutely right. THAT SAID, I love that anyone is fair game. ANY character can die. Which in Terry Goodkind was just silly after a while. Here's a 1000 year old mage unkillable ghost thing. BAM Richard kills it without a scratch. And I really love watching GRRM on TV.

I think you'll like Night Angel. Give it a shot. It's not about assassins. Terrible book synopsis (don't think person writing them bothered to read the book), but great.

Adding Night Angel to the list, thanks!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results