shape
carat
color
clarity

BORED. Please recommend books...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LittleRiver|1355869823|3335032 said:
For contemporary romance, I highly recommend Shannon Stacey's Kowalski series (books 1, 2, and 3). Book 3 is hilarious. Books 4 and 5 came out recently and 6 is due soon, but I like to wait until I have a full series on my Kindle and then read them all at once, so I can't vouch for those. Yet.

Other favorite contemporary romance authors include Kristan Higgins, Julie James, and Victoria Dahl, but if you are a romance reader you probably know them already. Let me know if you don't and I can suggest a few titles to start with.

Also, I know you said paranormal or contemporary romance only, but you might enjoy Lauren Willig's "The Mischief of the Mistletoe". It is a Regency romance (not normally my cup of tea!), but very smart, funny, and seasonal.

Going on the list! THANK YOU!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
princesss|1355870294|3335041 said:
What about funny/goofy paranormal stuff? Christopher Moore has some hilarious books (off the top of my head I think you'd like "A Dirty Job" - Joe Schmoe turns into the Grim Reaper or "The Stupidest Angel" - the angel in charge of the Christmas wish gets it just a bit wrong and raises a horde of zombies). Easy reads, absolutely hilarious. And if you end up liking his style, Lamb is one of my all time favourite books (full title: Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal). Irreverent but not sacriligeous, smart, and hysterical.

Going on the list.

I love satire mixed with fantasy so this is right up my alley. Terry Pratchett is one of my favorite authors .

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1355873668|3335095 said:
I love Sophie Kinsella books. They're funny and they have romance in them, but they're not what I think of when I think of romance novels. Those would be something with Fabio and his windblown hair (or a more updated version) on the cover.

Jennifer Weiner and Jennifer Cruise get an honorable mention. I also love Hester Browne's books. I see those as chick lit. but you might look them up under contemporary romance.

I haven't tried Hester Brown but I ADORE the others you mentioned so she's going on the list! Thanks Zoe!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1355873150|3335089 said:
I have really enjoyed the few that I've read by Sue Grafton, of her Alphabet series. I've read A,B,N,R &U. Kinsey Milhone is a pretty cool female PI - twice divorced, not afraid of a drink or a casual relationship or two.. and they are easy reading mysteries. One of my current favourites!

Gonna check these out. Thanks Enerchi!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
geckodani|1355873953|3335097 said:
Romance: Tessa Dare is my recent new romance fav. A bit sexy, definitely humorous, period books.

G.A. Aiken writes a hilarious fantasy/romance series about dragons. It's a little out there, but hilarious and an easy fun read. The first one is called Dragon, Actually.

I forget, did you ever read Jim Butcher's Dresden Files?

ADORE HER!!! I love both her Aiken series AND her Laurentson series (granted the Aiken series is stronger and more even).

I have read Dresden, including the one just out.

Tessa Dare, I think I read one I really liked by her. Not in the mood for historicals right now though, but I'll put her on the list cause I will eventually be.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1355876332|3335128 said:
Gypsy|1355864063|3334921 said:
Mysteries, Paranormal or Urban Fantasy, and Romance only please.

I would prefer something with humor.

I have mentioned these authors on Pricescope threads before, but I cannot recommend them highly enough to other consumers of relaxational fiction who have senses of humor: Brian Haig, who wrote a series on a protagonist called Sean Drummond and Nelson DeMille who wrote a series on a protagonist called John Corey. These books make me, at least, laugh out loud, yet they are suspenseful as can be, real page turners.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Are they "fluffy" AGBF? I'm in the mood right now for fluff. Inquiring minds...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Octavia|1355878512|3335155 said:
Have you read any of the books from the "Death on Demand" series by Carolyn Hart? They're about a woman who owns a mystery bookstore and gets involved in real cases. Aittle predictable after awhile, but I think they definitely fit the"cozy/humorous mystery" category. It's been years since I read one but I remember them being a fun, light read.

Another fun mystery series is the Archie McNally series by Lawrence Sanders. I haven't read any of the continuation books by a different author who took over after Sanders died, though. I can see how the protagonist could get a bit irritating, but overall I like the books as a quick and kind of silly read.

I also enjoyed a lot of the books by Anne Perry (both the Inspector Monk and Charlotte & Thomas Pitt series). I wouldn't necessarily call them cozy, but I think they are pretty well-written. As a side note, the author was one of the murderers in the incident that inspired the film Heavenly Creatures, which adds kind of a weird dimension to reading her murder mysteries...

Also, I haven't read the book(s?), but there is a British TV series I like called Midsomer Murders that is based on the novel(s?) by Caroline something. In the show, the murders themselves are fairly dark and twisted, but there is an English-countryside feel to it that sort of offsets it...anyway, I can't say if the novels are good or not, but they might fit your criteria.

Other than that, I think my taste is books is pretty much opposite yours, so I can't think of others to recommend.

Sounds like our tastes are very different. I like more serious, deep stories sometimes and read my fair share but right now I'm only wanting fluff or "popcorn" as I call it. I will check out the Carolyn Hart recommendation. Many thanks Octavia!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okie_girl|1355877270|3335142 said:
These are all mystery writers, but I don't think I'd classify them as "cozies."

Deborah Crombie - first book in the series is A Share in Death. Set in London, I just really *like* the main characters.

Laura Lippman's Tess Monaghan books - first is Baltimore Blues. Main character used to be a newspaper reporter, now a private detective. Not slap your leg funny, but has humorous moments.

Susan Wittig Albert - these might be a little more on the cozy side. First in the series is Thyme of Death. Main character is an attorney turned herb gardner. Another series in which I just *like* the characters.

Laurie King - Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series. First in the series is The Beekeeper's Apprentice. I'm not a Sherlock Holmes fan at all, but I LOVED this book. As far as the rest of the series, some are really good, some are a little weak.

I also like Sue Grafton, and of course, for funny mysteries, Janet Evanovich. The Stephanie Plum books are a pretty light read, but enjoyable nonetheless.

I stopped reading Stephanie Plum a few books back. I think at number 17. 17 books was my limit for how long a character can string along two men. But I loved Grandma and Lula.

I will check out Alberts Thyme of Death and consider the others as well. Thank you Okie!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, man. I really hate to mention this, but J.D. Robb's "In Death" series is second to none, encompassing all the categories you first mentioned. It's Nora Roberts' alter ego, but don't let that turn you off. This series got me through my divorce/living with my parents at 31 years old. You'll hate it at first, but love it after a few hundred pages. Done. Love you Gypsy. :appl:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well...everyone seems to know Jane Austen now. Do you know Georgette Heyer? She has been around since the 1920's, but unless you have read all her wonderful books, you may have some great surprises waiting for you. They are about as cozy as books can be. I have read and reread them all my life for comfort. They fall under the general "romance" label, but are really comedies. Each one is funnier than the next. The early ones tend to be a bit more romantic (although they still contain elements of humor), but the later ones are just joyful romps through ridiculous situations full of funny characters.

Some of the most famous books include Frederica; The Grand Sophy; and Cotillion(which has a beginning that is a bit hard to slog through, but is worth it). One of my all-time favorites is The Great Ajax,featuring the terrifying Lady Augusta. If anyone reads that, I'd love feedback on it! You really can't go wrong picking up one of her books. She is not a Regency Romance writer in the sense that Barbara Cartland was...she is a satirist!

PS-Emily Eden is also good!

Deb/AGBF

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy said:
LittleRiver said:
For contemporary romance, I highly recommend Shannon Stacey's Kowalski series (books 1, 2, and 3). Book 3 is hilarious. Books 4 and 5 came out recently and 6 is due soon, but I like to wait until I have a full series on my Kindle and then read them all at once, so I can't vouch for those. Yet.

Other favorite contemporary romance authors include Kristan Higgins, Julie James, and Victoria Dahl, but if you are a romance reader you probably know them already. Let me know if you don't and I can suggest a few titles to start with.

Also, I know you said paranormal or contemporary romance only, but you might enjoy Lauren Willig's "The Mischief of the Mistletoe". It is a Regency romance (not normally my cup of tea!), but very smart, funny, and seasonal.

Going on the list! THANK YOU!

You're welcome!! Enjoy!

Btw, I get most of my romance recommendations from SBTB (http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/).

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
AGBF said:
Well...everyone seems to know Jane Austen now. Do you know Georgette Heyer? She has been around since the 1920's, but unless you have read all her wonderful books, you may have some great surprises waiting for you. They are about as cozy as books can be. I have read and reread them all my life for comfort. They fall under the general "romance" label, but are really comedies. Each one is funnier than the next. The early ones tend to be a bit more romantic (although they still contain elements of humor), but the later ones are just joyful romps through ridiculous situations full of funny characters.

Some of the most famous books include Frederica; The Grand Sophy; and Cotillion(which has a beginning that is a bit hard to slog through, but is worth it). One of my all-time favorites is The Great Ajax,featuring the terrifying Lady Augusta. If anyone reads that, I'd love feedback on it! You really can't go wrong picking up one of her books. She is not a Regency Romance writer in the sense that Barbara Cartland was...she is a satirist!

Deb/AGBF

Deb, thank you for reminding me about Georgette Heyer! I downloaded all of the books you mentioned when they were on sale for $0.99 about a year ago and then promptly forgot about them. I am always looking for books like these.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a kindle?

I really like the The Grey Wolves Series but I think it is kindle only. The first book is free - The Price of Wolves. The author is actually really good, but there are some grammer mistakes through the series that drives me crazy. The last book comes out next month I think. It is sort of the werewolve version of Twilight but with a$$ kicking girls who have great sarcasm and humor.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
A few ideas:

A series (only a few books so far) by Alan Bradley, about 11-year-old British sleuth/scientist Flavia de Luce. They are light, fun books. There's a website: http://www.flaviadeluce.com/

I'd also echo the Sue Grafton mentions. Start with 'A is for Alibi,' because they do go in sequence. You can probably find copies on Amazon for $1. I also like Sara Paretsky's Chicago PI, VI Warshawski, but they aren't really 'cozy' style mysteries. Has anyone mentioned M.C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin series? Have not read them, but they look cozy but clever. First book in the series is The Quiche of Death.

Have you read anything by Helene Hanff? She wrote a charming memoir about her years spent writing to a British gentleman called 84, Charing Cross Road, which has also been made into a film.

Not really any of your genres, but if you like Helene Hanff, you may enjoy Anne Fadiman's work, especially Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader.

I did not enjoy Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I liked the idea a lot better than the actual story, and found the pictures to just be bizarre... either really creepy or just stupid.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little-known mystery series I really enjoyed is by John Dunning, about Cliff Janeway, a rare book collector. I think "Bookman's Wake" was the first in the series. Unfortunately Dunning didn't start the series until fairly late in his life, so it's only 5 or 6 books long. (ETA the first book in the series is "Booked to Die.")

A quirky sort of mystery I really liked is "Hotel Paradise" by Martha Grimes. She's added 5 books or so to the series since then... honestly the quirks get old after awhile but I still read them as they come out!

I also love Tony Hllerman's mysteries, which are set in Indian country in the Four Corners area. I wish he was still with us and writing!

Boatluvr

Shiny_Rock
I really enjoy the mysteries written by Preston & Child - especially their Agent Pendergast series. They are the only authors that I have ever read that use really interesting 'new' words - I have to keep my computer by my side for reference!

janlwf

Rough_Rock
During a holiday several years ago, I had several fun, fluffy romances loaded to my e reader and my favorite was Karen Marie Moning's Highlander fantasy-romance books. I quickly downloaded the rest of the Highlander series and was thrilled to discover that she had just finished the Fever series. For the fever series, she took several side characters from the Highlander series and then really developed an Urban fantasy world in crisis. I think fever series is a better series but there is a little less on romance and more on the mystery than her Highlander series.

http://www.maryse.net/books/karen-m...-the-highland-mist-by-karen-marie-moning.html
http://www.maryse.net/reading-order-guide/karen-marie-moning-fever-series-reading-order.html

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
What about The Passage (Justin Cronin)?

The next book in the trilogy is just out (The Twelve).

It's pretty fantastical. Not sure if it falls into your category though!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
rosetta|1355945987|3335798 said:

This keeps popping up on my radar, too. Hmmm...off to look up reviews!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1355904173|3335378 said:
Oh, man. I really hate to mention this, but J.D. Robb's "In Death" series is second to none, encompassing all the categories you first mentioned. It's Nora Roberts' alter ego, but don't let that turn you off. This series got me through my divorce/living with my parents at 31 years old. You'll hate it at first, but love it after a few hundred pages. Done. Love you Gypsy. :appl:

I've been reading them for years love. Have them all. :wavey: Thank you!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rubybeth, thanks for the recommendation for Alan Bradley books! I haven't heard of him but I'll check out his books.

About cozies...I keep forgetting about these types of mysteries. I had actually never heard of this...genre (?) until Gypsy mentioned in another thread a while back. Like Angela Lansbury/Murder She Wrote books, right? I love regular mysteries but there are times when the violence in them gets to me. I think I'll check out cozies. Would you find them in a special mystery section or mixed in?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1355905578|3335381 said:

Deb/AGBF

I've read/own Heyer's novels. They are a nice romp! Thank you AGBF!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1355954544|3335923 said:
Rubybeth, thanks for the recommendation for Alan Bradley books! I haven't heard of him but I'll check out his books.

About cozies...I keep forgetting about these types of mysteries. I had actually never heard of this...genre (?) until Gypsy mentioned in another thread a while back. Like Angela Lansbury/Murder She Wrote books, right? I love regular mysteries but there are times when the violence in them gets to me. I think I'll check out cozies. Would you find them in a special mystery section or mixed in?

Mixed in. :)

Murder by Peacocks by Donna Andrews is a good example of a cozy. It's a series and some are very strong (Murder by Peacocks) and some are weak. But the first one especially is hilarious.

I also really like VINTAGE MAGIC MYSTERIES by Annette Blair a little cozy, and little paranormal and a little high fashion.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Gypsy!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and for anyone who loves Stephanie Plum's wackiness:Sarah Strohmeyer's Bubbles series is one you probably will like.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1355922631|3335446 said:
Do you have a kindle?

I really like the The Grey Wolves Series but I think it is kindle only. The first book is free - The Price of Wolves. The author is actually really good, but there are some grammer mistakes through the series that drives me crazy. The last book comes out next month I think. It is sort of the werewolve version of Twilight but with a$$ kicking girls who have great sarcasm and humor.

I have a kindle AP. But I think I've read the first one? Who is it by?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1355924318|3335457 said:
A few ideas:

A series (only a few books so far) by Alan Bradley, about 11-year-old British sleuth/scientist Flavia de Luce. They are light, fun books. There's a website: http://www.flaviadeluce.com/ WILL CHECK OUT

I'd also echo the Sue Grafton mentions. Start with 'A is for Alibi,' because they do go in sequence. You can probably find copies on Amazon for $1. I also like Sara Paretsky's Chicago PI, VI Warshawski, READ THIS but they aren't really 'cozy' style mysteries. Has anyone mentioned M.C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin series WILL CHECK OUT? Have not read them, but they look cozy but clever. First book in the series is The Quiche of Death.

H
THANK YOU!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
janlwf|1355933562|3335580 said:
During a holiday several years ago, I had several fun, fluffy romances loaded to my e reader and my favorite was Karen Marie Moning's Highlander fantasy-romance books. I quickly downloaded the rest of the Highlander series and was thrilled to discover that she had just finished the Fever series. For the fever series, she took several side characters from the Highlander series and then really developed an Urban fantasy world in crisis. I think fever series is a better series but there is a little less on romance and more on the mystery than her Highlander series.

http://www.maryse.net/books/karen-m...-the-highland-mist-by-karen-marie-moning.html
http://www.maryse.net/reading-order-guide/karen-marie-moning-fever-series-reading-order.html

Do you like her? I can't really get into her work. Interesting!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1355945987|3335798 said:

I'll check it out again. Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty and BoatLuver I am checking out your recommendations on Amazon! Thank you both!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results