shape
carat
color
clarity

Bob''s Flashes - Dark Inclusions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Bob’s Flashes – Dark Inclusions

Most of us have seen dark “carbon spot” inclusions in diamonds. In reality these dark inclusions can be any number of things including carbon.
We who are looking for a beautiful “eye clean” diamond look with distain at these blotches but there are many who collect, photograph and document these expensive inclusions.
They can be any number of different mineral inclusions. If you put one of these diamonds in the gem microscope and pump enough light onto the subject, you will often fine that the inclusion is red or green or some other color. The red inclusions are often pyrope garnets or rutile where the green may be olivine or chromian diopside. I once had a beautiful change of color inclusion that I just knew was an alexandrite. It sent it to John Koivula at GIA. He sent me an e-mail after he had studied it and let me know that it was only a knorringite-pyrope garnet and had seen a number of them. I was disappointed and then jumped in the middle of my books to find out what a knorringite-pyrope garnet was.
I don’t know everything but I am willing to learn.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
This is fascinating subject indeed, Bob.

website.

Purple garnet:
garnet.gif

Orange garnet:
eclogite.gif

[/u][/u]

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
WOW Leonid! Some neat pics.

I think a diamond with an identifiable color would be a neat "birthmark" to identify "MY" stone by.

I have a problem with the smaller "black" looking ones though.

Great Post, Bob! Enjoying your lessons much!
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Sorry for the double post. Don't know if it's my server, or what, but I've been having problems with Price Scope today.
8.gif

anniediamond

Rough_Rock
Hi Dimonbob! I am getting such a great education about diamonds reading your daily posts. Thanks for the information. There is SO much more to this than I ever imagined.
--Annie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results