shape
carat
color
clarity

Bob''s Flashes - Care and Handling of your Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Bob’s Flashes – Care and Handling of your Diamond

First a short story: Once upon a time long, long ago when I was young and in the Navy I was parked outside of the Waves barracks with my girl one evening. All of a sudden we heard shouting and cursing from one of the “ladies” when we all heard “You can take this #$% ring…” and then she threw it. We think it landed in about an acre of overgrowth. The next morning when she and her boyfriend were sober and in love again, everybody went looking for her diamond ring. After about two hours with about 30 people searching, we found her ring. It had hit a length of steel rebar and broken her marquise diamond in half.

We all know that diamonds are very hard but they are not indestructible. They will break, chip, crack, nick and even scratch. We must take care of these expensive beauties. They need to be cleaned often and wearing them while doing manual labor or working in the garden is a real no, no.

Those of you that receive your loose internet diamonds must be especially careful. They are small and when you open your diamond paper for the first time, they can flip out and fall to the table or floor. Any diamond that has a point, which is most of them, can loose that point if it lands just right on any hard surface. On a round diamond that point is the culet and it can be broken just as easily as one of the two points on a marquise or the four points on a princess. Yes, they can be repaired but the idea is not to break it in the first place.

You may clean your diamond, daily, with warm soapy water and a toothbrush (my wife likes to use toothpaste) but do not clean them over an open sink. “That can’t happen to me, Bob”, while cleaning my wife’s diamond studs in the sink one morning when one of them jumped down the drain. I was in complete shock. Each stud was a one carat F VS2 and it was gone! Just like that! I got a flashlight but all I saw was water down at the gooseneck. I had never done any plumber work but since I had a big wrench, I was willing to learn…Now! I tore the drain apart and yes the diamond was in that gooseneck but I will NEVER clean diamonds over an open drain again.

Remember, bad things usually don’t happen to diamonds, but they can!

tresellas

Rough_Rock
Bob,

Sorry to steal your post here... I think you make some great points!

But I wanted to ask you about some specific questions about a diamond I started to order but saved through whiteflash.com this morning. Will I have to wait until Monday or is there a way to talk to someone before then. It's funny I have waited a year for the ring and now all of a sudden I am suffering from the need for instant gratification! :)

Thanks in advance,you can email me or PM here any time!

Lora

Nate

Shiny_Rock
I think I read somewhere that toothpaste is no good for cleaning diamonds?

Spyder

Rough_Rock
You may clean your diamond, daily, with warm soapy water and a toothbrush (my wife likes to use toothpaste)
I did not know that soap or toothpaste were recommendable. What are some other recommendations for cleaning; is alcohol good?

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I did not say that I recommend toothpaste, just that my wife uses it.
Actually she cleans her ring while she brushes her teeth :))
I am just her gemologist husband, what do I know?
Happy Wife, Happy Life!

Spyder
Most jewelry stores are set up to clean with first a hot detergent and water solution and a brush, scrub, rinse and then steam clean. All of the above are ok with a single diamond. If you have a number of very small side diamonds, small baguettes or melee, pressurized steam or ultrasonic cleaners will shake them out. At home warm water with a drop of Dawn or sudsy ammonia and a toothbrush will usually do the job. Keep in mind that your diamonds need cleaning often.

marv117

Rough_Rock
this is very interesting and very informative....

I, too, have always thought that a diamond is very hard to damage...but i guess it makes sense that a sharp corner could chip off if enough force is applied.

With this in mind, is it safe to say that round or non-sharp pointed/cornered diamonds are much better and should be considered over other cuts? This is a bit disappointing because my soon to be fiance prefers princess cut...but if this is the case it might change her mind.

Please advice. Thanks!

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
marv117
I would not let the fact that diamonds do break influence your decision to buy a princess cut or any other cut.
I said they can break, not they will break. You get out on the road every day and you can get into an accident. That does not mean you will.
When a diamond is set is it more or less protected from some types of damage. The culet on a set diamond should never get hit or break. I have seen the nice rounded girdle of some diamonds that looked like somebody was chewing on them for breakfast. Ladies who wear two or three diamond rings on one finger, and there are plenty, tend to bang the diamonds into each other and they get all chewed up. People that like to prove they are wearing a diamond by scratching glass are asking to chip thier diamond. If you hit any diamond hard enough, it will break.
The trick is to take care of all of your jewelry and have it insured just to cover any problems you might encounter.

LadyHawk

Rough_Rock
I am a fanatic when it come to cleaning my diamond ring. Since my engagement ring has 40 invisible set princess stones, I use an artist's brush to clean my ring. The hairs are sable and very fine, and I find it really does a nice job without risking injury to my ring.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Bob!
wavey.gif

Are you the "Official White Flash Lonely Hearts Club" charter member this week?
appl.gif
Hope they all post pics of Vegas!
2.gif

What do you recommend for invisible sets? Care and cleaning?

Luv to see you Flash!!!
11.gif

optimized

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 5/31/2003 6
6.gif
6.gif
8 PM Nate wrote:

I think I read somewhere that toothpaste is no good for cleaning diamonds?
----------------

Hi Nate,

The problem with toothpaste as a diamond cleaner has less to do with the diamond than with the jewelry it's set in. Most toothpastes contain abrasives (pumice or similar) that won't hurt a diamond at all, but over time can wear precious metals. It's not likely to be a problem if done once in a while, but cumulative damage to settings can occur over time if toothpaste is used frequently and with gusto.

-Tim

Nate

Shiny_Rock
Aha, that must have been what that was about. Thanks Tim!
1.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Another way my wife cleans her jewelry that really works good is: She has a small plastic bottle that she puts a little ammonia and a lot of water in and ONE ITEM OF JEWELRY ONLY. She gently moves the bottle back and forth a few times and then lets the item soak for about five minutes. She then moves the bottle back and forth for about a minute, removes the item and uses a soft toothbrush on it and rinses completely. She does this about once a week and her rings and things are almost always clean. The most difficult items to keep clean are rings with baguttes or invisible set diamond rings.
I recommend the above way with the baguette rings but leave off the toothbrush with invisible set diamonds.
You cannot put any pressure at all on them. Replace the toothbrush with a small artest brush with soft bristles.
(MHLady had this figured out) Both type rings need cleaning often. Remember a small PLASTIC bottle and ONE item at a time! Like 007 (James Bond) said; Stir, do not shake!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Bob!
1.gif

I almost don't wear my invisible set often enough to get dirty between cleanings at the jeweler's. Thought it would be nice to know how to clean it at home anyway. Your wife's bottle idea is pretty much what I do. Soak, swish, and rinse. Sometimes twice for good measure since I don't use a brush on that ring.

I always thought invisible sets were sooooo gorgeous. Then I got one and learned later how fragile they are. Not a good idea with my lifestyle. So it sits and I wear it once in a while.

I thought Bond liked 'em "Shaken, not stirred."
10.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
btt :}

JennyN

Rough_Rock
What does everyone mean by "invisible set" diamonds? Just curious...

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Here's a website with pics of lots of different invisible set rings.

http://www.finejewelers.com/product-res.aspx?c=Bands&or=&s=Invisible+Set

There are no prongs, beads, channels, no metal between to hold the diamonds in place. Wires/metalwork runs along the underside and the diamonds are held in place by pressure. If you would happen to chip/crack, or knock out one diamond, the whole set can go.

Very beautiful, but very expensive to repair.
1.gif

snowball

Rough_Rock
Bob,

I, too, am curious about what invible set is...

My engagement ring is a tiffany replica and I find it difficult to keep it clean. I just had my basket reset higher and my jeweler did a fantastic job cleaning the diamond (after he removed it from the basket). I now have the ring back for about 3 weeks, soak it in a container of "jewelery cleaner" I bought from a local jeweler every other day, but still find that the diamond is not as sparkly as I just picked up after the resetting.

Also, I got a new eternity band made just recently. I thought there would be opening under each stone on the inside of the band but my jeweler didn't make the openings. Will that be a problem to keep the stone clean?

Thanks for your help.

Snowball
loopy.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Actually, the real lesson of this thread is: never upset your girlfriend!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the post--I usually use a little ammonia and water (ammonia cuts right through grease) and I always get great results. Also, I have been syaing for YEARS not to wear rings when doing manual labor, cooking, etc. I am so happy to see an expert give the same advice!
1.gif

And I couldn't resist posting my invisibly set ring. 3cts+ of VS1, E-F princess cuts invisibly set in 18K. I usually just gently wipe the surface of this ring with a soft cloth dampened with warm water...And I don't wear it too frequently. thanks!

Invisibleset.closeup.2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results