shape
carat
color
clarity

BN Trellis vs Sholdt semi bezel?

CrisM

Shiny_Rock
Both of these settings are super simple and elegant, but BN seems at least half the price of the Sholdt. They both have very few design elements which emphasizes their simplicity and they sit low on the finger. I especially like that the ring gets wider as it approaches the center stone.

With Portlandkelly and Feb03Bride's pardon, I hope they don't mind if I repost some of their pics? Are there other settings similar to these?

Attachments

• BNtrellis.bmp
    922.7 KB · Views: 2,340
  • BNtrellisside.bmp
    922.7 KB · Views: 2,272
  • portlandkelly.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 2,257
  • portlandkellyside.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 2,231

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Sholdt Freemont is like a cross between both. I personally love the Sholdt.

CrisM

Shiny_Rock
I really quite like the Sholdt as well but read from Elle-Chris' post that it can be difficult (the semi bezel version) to get clean?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
between those two, I prefer the sholdt setting.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you should assess whether you like prongs better or semi bezel. Its a very different world with semi bezel. Sometimes its a hate/love relationship, and I would recommend you stopping in a shop to try on some semi bezel to see how you feel about them. I love them and have had a semi beze sholdt. You need to specify how high/low you want your diamond set, its completely custom and you may end up with something that is higher set than expected unless you make your wishes known.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To go on D&T's point, one thing I would make certain of is that both are solid on the underside, not hollowed out - the hollow will collect dirt and moisture and be pretty much impossible to clean on the go after you wash your hands, etc. It would drive me crazy and irritate my skin no end.

D&T's (solid) Sholdt underside here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/poll-showdown-sholdt-vs-james-meyer.134423/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/poll-showdown-sholdt-vs-james-meyer.134423/page-2[/URL]

and this is what I mean by hollow - another of D&T's pics of a different ring (WF Keystone semibezel)
HollowUndersideWFKeystone.jpg

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
both beautiful. the big difference will probably be in the profile of the two. and, of course the trellis has prongs. i love the sholdt ring, but then again I'm a bezel girl :)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1318969341|3042912 said:
To go on D&T's point, one thing I would make certain of is that both are solid on the underside, not hollowed out - the hollow will collect dirt and moisture and be pretty much impossible to clean on the go after you wash your hands, etc. It would drive me crazy and irritate my skin no end.

D&T's (solid) Sholdt underside here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/poll-showdown-sholdt-vs-james-meyer.134423/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/poll-showdown-sholdt-vs-james-meyer.134423/page-2[/URL]

This is a great link Yssie! I knew I posted the underside of the Sholdt somewhere, just forgot where ::) I love love love the feeling of the sholdt especially. Very fluid, and SUPER comfy! and you can see that most band actually sat flush even though it didn't look that way from the top down view. Love how Sholdt made their semi bezel piece(of course depending on the size of stones if any in the band)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi:

My hear friend has the Sholdt and it is HEAVENLY! An all time fav.......

chers--Sharon

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would personally vote Sholdt, but I love semi bezels.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sholdt, hands down.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely the Sholdt! I had never seen that setting before and I quickly fell in love - very sleek and classy. Love it. Also love the one on the homepage of Sholdt with the diamonds down the shank: http://www.sholdtdesign.com/index.htm

Sholdt

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
I have the Sholdt and love it, so that's my vote :bigsmile: It's beautifully made so a wedder can sit flush.

ETA: Yes, I understand what ElleChris means when she says it's difficult to keep clean. There is only a very small airline between the setting and the underside of the stone, so it's hard to get anything in there to scrub it out. I tend to soak mine upside down (i.e., resting on the table of the stone) to alleviate this as much as possible. I don't think it's worse than any other setting I've had.

Cris, did you find an OEC?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Definitely the Sholdt.

CrisM

Shiny_Rock
Consensus for Sholdt! I'm glad, it's what I'd really like.

D&T - thanks for the underside shot, I hadn't considered it before. My favorite settings on PS tend towards the bezels but I agree, there's nothing like trying it on first. There's only one retailer in NYC that carries the semi bezel, but it's the version for smaller stones with the steeper shoulders if that makes sense. My heart did not sing. I asked GOG if they carry the other version, let's see.

Yssie - thanks for the link. It would seem that would make the Sholdt comfortable. It's just so well designed.

Echidna - love your Sholdt! Do you soak it in warm soapy water?

The setting definitely calls for a round, but should it be a modern brilliant, an OEC with a thick enough girdle or an August Vintage Round? I just need to go see some in person and see what my instincts say.

Although husband is in the loop about the design and the cost, I keep postponing seeing them in person. Although we can afford it, it's quite a lot of money to put into such a small item. Was anyone else similarly torn between knowing they really want it and rationalizing spending the money?

looking4ring

Rough_Rock
Here's a Sholdt semi-bezel I just received in the mail, stone is 1.8 ct, size ~5. You can see from the profile that the diamond can be set low and still have some space between the metal and the pavilion, for easier cleaning I guess. The main difference I noticed between the pictures posted here and seeing the ring in-person was that the photos make the setting maybe a little bulkier than it actually is (it isn't at all). IMO the added cost of the Sholdt setting compared to other "plain" solitaire settings was 100% worth it.

spacexyz.JPG

sidexyz.JPG

orthxyz.JPG

fire2xyz.JPG

CrisM

Shiny_Rock
Gor-gee-ous! Thanks for sharing the different angles. Can I ask for a handshot? Are you pairing it with a wedding band or wearing it solo? Inquiring minds want to know.

Congratulations on your beautiful ring, wear it with joy!

ETA: I especially love the side view of the puffy crown. Yummy.

CrisM

Shiny_Rock
tyty - Meant to thank you for your suggestions. I like them, but with each there seems to be a design element that I would tweak and you guessed it -those changes would make the setting more Sholdt-like.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Here's a pic of mine. It's set very tight into the bezel, and it's impossible to clean the sides. Very different than looking4rings.
Sholdt may have tweaked the design, dunno. But if you decide on it, be sure to let the jeweler know you want to there to be enough room to clean the entire stone.

Attachments

• mysholtd1.bmp
    357.6 KB · Views: 1,911

looking4ring

Rough_Rock
I bought the ring for my girlfriend, so unfortunately no hand shots at this (pre-proposal) point. She wanted the ring to be a surprise, and hasn't seen this setting before but likes simple but unique settings, and mentioned tension settings at one point. There is definitely room for a band, if I had to guess I'd say she might like either a plain band or one with channel-set diamonds, but lots of time for that decision!

CrisM

Shiny_Rock
Elle - thanks for your photo. In truth, I love how the stone is snug, it goes so well with the design. If you had to choose between your more seam-less design or the the practicality of Looking's version, which would you choose?

Looking - didn't realize, good luck! Congratulations on finding your lady love. Quick question, if you don't mind? What color is your stone? I ask because I've read well cut but lower color diamonds can face up very white. However, as this setting exposes the body of the stone, perhaps a near colorless shade is more apparent seen from the side? Especially as it's framed by a sparkling white metal.

Do any Sholdt wearers with G-J colors find that to be the case (faces up white but color difference from side view) or is it negligible/not a concern?

looking4ring

Rough_Rock
This one's a J color, compared to the few J's I have seen loose, I'd say the setting in white gold improves the color, even from the side, so not at all a concern.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
looking4ring|1319509942|3047040 said:
Here's a Sholdt semi-bezel I just received in the mail, stone is 1.8 ct, size ~5. You can see from the profile that the diamond can be set low and still have some space between the metal and the pavilion, for easier cleaning I guess. The main difference I noticed between the pictures posted here and seeing the ring in-person was that the photos make the setting maybe a little bulkier than it actually is (it isn't at all). IMO the added cost of the Sholdt setting compared to other "plain" solitaire settings was 100% worth it.

DROOL! I love this setting and wow does it look fabulous with your stone looking4ring!

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, I just soak it in warm soapy water and brush with a baby toothbrush.

I took a few photos for you to try and show you how tight my stone is in the setting. My side profile looks just like Elle_Chris's.

However, there is a teeny airline in mine (not sure if you'll be able to see it).

I also included a face-up shot of the WR and ER together.

Regarding stone colour, mine is an F (so that doesn't really help!). Find a stone that you love best (OEC, AVR, RB- whatever makes your heart sing) in a colour that is mind clean and then you'll be happy forever. It's a lot of money to spend so take your time and get it right :bigsmile:

DSC01914.JPG

DSC01920.jpg

DSC01918.JPG

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
wow, it is beautiful!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Mine is a G and the color is fine. No difference that I can see between the platinum and my stone.

Echidna's is my favorite. It's more open and swoopy than mine, has a small airline and still sits low. Mine has no airline.

I have no idea why each time I see this ring, the profiles all look different. No consistency so you don't really know which ring you'd end up getting.
If I were you, I'd be very specific if you have a preference.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was set to put my H in the Fremont before I changed my course with setting, mine is more open even and it doesn't show yellow at all.

I know that I would have to have mine set higher than the two above because not being able to get all around the stone would drive me NUTS.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results