shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Topaz Pear E-Ring Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

willyg44

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I just joined the forum, I''ve been a lurker over here for a while, and you all are great! I always got referred here from the purseblog forum''s jewelry section, so I figured I should just join already lol. ANYWAY, here''s the story:

I''m hoping to purchase an E-Ring soon for my one and only and she is in love with the blue topaz pear shaped halo in this thread:

Pear Shaped Halo

It''s a few posts down. The pear shaped blue topaz in the halo setting is exactly what she wants, however she just recently switched from wanting a diamond to a gemstone, so after educating myself thoroughly on diamonds, I don''t know much about gemstones!! Basically the center blue topaz stone would be about 2 ct. with a diamond halo, and diamonds around the band as well, I''m thinking micropave but not sure yet.

Could anyone recommend a blue topaz stone? I''m not quite sure what the price range is for these stones. I''m confused when I look at different sites and see hundreds of dollars in difference. I can''t figure out what is a legit, beautiful stone, and which is just a cheapo. Please help!!

Thanks in advance!!!

willyg44

Rough_Rock
bump. Anyone?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see why she loves that ring, it''s quite lovely. Many people on here dislike blue topaz because they are irradiated to get the color and therefore not a natural gemstone. I happen to really like the color. There''s just something about it that draws me in so I have a few blue topaz pieces. I don''t know that it would make a good ER though. It has a hardness of 8 but if hit can chip or crack easily due to the cleavage of the stone. It wouldn''t be a ring that could be worn daily I wouldn''t think. On the other hand blue topaz stones are relatively cheap compared to other gemstones so if it was cracked or chipped it wouldn''t cost much to replace it. The only concern would be if you had a setting that allowed the stone to be replaced without damaging the setting. I think there have been several threads about this so if you do a search on blue topaz I bet you would find quite a lot. I''m really not sure which of the vendors offer blue topaz. If you look at the top of the page there is a sticky that lists everyones favorite vendors. You could start looking there.

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
There was a thread recently about blue topaz. You might want to scroll down a little to see if you can find it. I found it very interesting as I knew little about that stone, but if that is what she wants, it appears you should get it really cheap based on what I read.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to Catmom''s post.

Re: $ range - blue topaz will likely be priced due to its cut, since the cost of rough is very very little and the color, since it''s treated, doesn''t vary in the way that it does for natural stones (some high-priced gems may have a poor cut but the value lies in the choice color and its rarity). For example, Richard Homer works with blue topaz, and it''s much more expensive than the norm, but that''s because the value is in the artistry of the cut.

This is sortof a bad example because the stone is pretty ginormous, but you can see one end of blue topaz pricing:
http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/query3.cfm?yVarieties=Blue&ySpecies=Topaz

Here''s another blue topaz that''s concave cut - I had its twin in my possession for awhile and I can tell you it was a beautiful, beautiful stone (this price includes the ring, btw):

http://www.artcutgems.com/item.php?item_id=299&category_id=49

Typically you''ll find that this isn''t an expensive stone, for the reasons Catmom explained. 1) It''s treated to achieve the color 2)You can find abundant quantities of it anywhere and 3) High cleaveage For those reasons, most folks will avoid it for an e-ring. If you''re comfortable with the first two considerations, I think the biggest concern then should be the third - breaking a stone feels like a major bummer (last year I managed to break a stone on my own and then a jeweler broke the aforementioned blue topaz while setting). Speaking from my own experience in the context of last year, I just really wouldn''t want my e-ring stone to be so brittle. If it''s something that you''re prepared for though, maybe it would be a different story.

Another option for achieving a similar color is blue zircon - it has that same oceany, tropical color, but I think it also might not be hardy enough for daily wear (it''s a 7.5 on MOH, but I was just reading that its also pretty easy to chip). Here''s a link - again, these are concave cut and a bigger size, wrong shape that you''re looking for, but can show you a similarity in color:

http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/query3.cfm?yVarieties=Blue&ySpecies=Zircon

If you''re looking for a more london blue topaz, then I''d start looking for a blue-green spinel...it''s a stone that is a lot more friendly for daily wear. You may also find a blue-green sapphire that fits the bill, or even a blue green tourmaline, though I believe tourmalines are a bit softer also.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, the only stones that are suitable for everyday wear (unless you''re very very careful with your jewelry) are diamonds and sapphires. Blue sapphires require a great deal of information, research to be able to purchase the right one (many are dyed blue as well). Diamonds are all over the place, and there are irradiated blue diamonds that are similar in color to blue topaz that do not cost as much as white diamonds. They''re typically lower color or more included diamonds that are bombarded with subatomic particles in order to get the blue color. That might be another option for you if she insists on a blue e-ring. Other than that, anything besides a diamond or a sapphire would require careful wear.

If she insists on a blue topaz, the upside to that is that it can be easily replaced if she chips it, and you''re only out the cost of the setting fee. However, I wouldn''t want to go that route either.

willyg44

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for your replies!! I am a bit concerned with the hardness level of the Blue Topaz those who brought it up. Also, reading the other threads about the Blue Topaz stones being treated to get their color and so on does kind of irritate me in a way!! I showed my gf Blue Sapphire stones and she seems to like them more than the Topaz now!

I''ve noticed the sapphires have a really vast price range. Are they similar to diamonds in finding a well cut stone? Does this forum have a sort of cheat sheet for finding a beautiful sapphire? I was hoping not to spend a fortune, keeping the stone under $2,000 for a 1.5-2 ct. stone. Is that possible or is that too cheap for a blue sapphire? Thanks again, I''m starting to love the beauty of the sapphires now!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2009 9:58:18 PM
Author: willyg44
Thanks all for your replies!! I am a bit concerned with the hardness level of the Blue Topaz those who brought it up. Also, reading the other threads about the Blue Topaz stones being treated to get their color and so on does kind of irritate me in a way!! I showed my gf Blue Sapphire stones and she seems to like them more than the Topaz now!

I''ve noticed the sapphires have a really vast price range. Are they similar to diamonds in finding a well cut stone? Does this forum have a sort of cheat sheet for finding a beautiful sapphire? I was hoping not to spend a fortune, keeping the stone under $2,000 for a 1.5-2 ct. stone. Is that possible or is that too cheap for a blue sapphire? Thanks again, I''m starting to love the beauty of the sapphires now!
Sapphires are a whole other realm, and it''s easier to find a diamond than a nice sapphire. If you don''t mind gently heated sapphires (stay away from beryllium-heated sapphires), try simplysapphires.com. They have a nice assortment of sapphires in every price range. There''s another company called TheNaturalSapphireCompany.com that specializes in unheated, untreated sapphires, but they are very expensive, and the cuts are not very good. If I were you, I would stick with a gently heated sapphire from a very reputable dealer like simplysapphires.com (do not shop on ebay for sapphires). This treatment is very accepted in the trade, and it''s allows you to get a very nice color sapphire for a good price.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2009 9:58:18 PM

No such thing I''m afraid.

The best thing to do is start by establishing the colour your gf likes - if she likes blue topaz she may well like the lighter blue sapphires which is a good thing! Colour is everything with gemstones and some shades command HUGE premiums. The vivid blues are particularly pricey. The paler ones will cost a bit less.

Cut is much less of an issue (within reason) than it is with diamonds and you won''t find a list of ideal proportions. I''m not obsessive about cut, but my parameters are that the stone must look symmetrical, no obvious windows and good meet-points (where facets meet each other).

With a budget of $2k, I suspect that you will be looking closer to the 1.5ct mark than the 2ct mark, but it can be done. I suggest you look at heated stones as you will have a better choice available. Gentle heat is not a problem IMHO but stay away from other treatments. You will not be able to tell the difference between a heated and unheated stone just by looking at the stone - but your wallet will see a significant difference.

My advice would be to contact a few vendors and see what they might have - or if someone could source one for you at the Tucson gem fair that is coming up.

One problem with sapphires is a big share of the market is stones from Sri Lanka. It is illegal to export rough from there, so it''s harder to have a stone cut for you as it would mean cutting down an existing stone.

If you come across stones that interest you, then just post up a photo and we will all give you brutally honest opinions!
9.gif

Good call IMO on not opting for the topaz. You still need to be careful with sapphires - no housework, gardening etc as they can chip. Even diamonds shouldn''t be worn 24/7 as they can split in two if knocked in the right place and chip at the girdle. In order to keep the setting as good as possible, don''t sleep in a ring - it can catch on the sheets and loosen the prongs.

willyg44

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your post. Well, I checked out tourmaline lover''s suggestion of simplysapphires.com for gently heated sapphires, and I found these 2:

Sapphire 1

Sapphire 2

Are these not good quality sapphires? Be brutal if you must! Thanks!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
At first glance I like the second one better - something about the faceting caught my eye.

willyg44

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 2:10:55 PM
Author: geckodani
At first glance I like the second one better - something about the faceting caught my eye.

Me too! Would that sapphire suffice for an E-ring, though? Or am I looking too cheap
33.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 2:12:54 PM

Me too! Would that sapphire suffice for an E-ring, though? Or am I looking too cheap
33.gif
Well, if it''s what she loves - shouldn''t matter how much it costs one way or the other, LOL.
2.gif

I definitely wouldn''t stop looking this fast though! You may want to consider contacting one of the cutters frequently mentioned on the boards and seeing what rough they have in stock. I haven''t seen many pear sapphires - but that doesn''t mean someone couldn''t cut one for you!
9.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well you said you were willing to go up to $2000 for the stone. While that one is nice I think you can do much better especially with your price range. I would keep looking and contact some of the cutters like geckodani said. Sometimes with sapphires it can be a hunt to find the right one. I wouldn''t settle so quickly.

brendaman

Shiny_Rock
ajsgems.com has quite a few pears between 1 and 2 carats. They even have an unheated sapphire at 1.99 cts. within your budget. As others have said, no one will know that it is unheated. There those here who have unheated sapphires and there are various reasons why they went that way, e.g. rare, fingerprint, etc. I actually considered a heated sapphire for my e-ring, but I ended up falling in love with an unheated one.

If you were considering topaz''s, then perhaps a lighter colored stones like this would be more to your/her liking.

Good luck with the shopping.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 2:12:54 PM
33.gif
This made me giggle. My FI was kind of upset with me because with what I wanted, it made him feel cheap ($180 blue spinel in a less than $250 setting.) Trust me, if it''s what she wants, she won''t care!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason I mentioned simplysapphires.com and not ajsgems.com is because simplysapphires.com is local to the United States, and if you live in the US, returns are much easier. You might have to do a return or so to make sure you get the right sapphire. Ajsgems.com has nice sapphires though, but you need to ask a lot of questions about ones you're interested in via email. Their pictures are not always accurate.

One thing to note is that Madagascar sapphires are a nice alternative to Ceylon sapphires, and even look nicer IMHO than some Ceylon sapphires. Ceylon (Sri Lanka) has some esteem to it's origin, but the Madagascar sapphires rival Ceylon in many cases. Just look at Ajsgems.com and tell me if you can see a dramatic difference in their Ceylon vs Madagascar sapphires.

BTW, I much rather have a fine sapphire over a white diamond any day of the week. They're much rarer, and I enjoy the color. Princess Diana had a sapphire e-ring in case you didn't know.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 3:57:56 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
The reason I mentioned simplysapphires.com and not ajsgems.com is because simplysapphires.com is local to the United States, and if you live in the US, returns are much easier. You might have to do a return or so to make sure you get the right sapphire. Ajsgems.com has nice sapphires though, but you need to ask a lot of questions about ones you''re interested in via email. Their pictures are not always accurate.

One thing to note is that Madagascar sapphires are a nice alternative to Ceylon sapphires, and even look nicer IMHO than some Ceylon sapphires. Ceylon (Sri Lanka) has some esteem to it''s origin, but the Madagascar sapphires rival Ceylon in many cases. Just look at Ajsgems.com and tell me if you can see a dramatic difference in their Ceylon vs Madagascar sapphires.

BTW, I much rather have a fine sapphire over a white diamond any day of the week. They''re much rarer, and I enjoy the color. Princess Diana had a sapphire e-ring in case you didn''t know.
I had heard that there was some major problem with exporting from Madagascar at the moment - anyone know the current situation?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
The reason I mentioned simplysapphires.com and not ajsgems.com is because simplysapphires.com is local to the United States, and if you live in the US, returns are much easier. You might have to do a return or so to make sure you get the right sapphire. Ajsgems.com has nice sapphires though, but you need to ask a lot of questions about ones you''re interested in via email. Their pictures are not always accurate.

One thing to note is that Madagascar sapphires are a nice alternative to Ceylon sapphires, and even look nicer IMHO than some Ceylon sapphires. Ceylon (Sri Lanka) has some esteem to it''s origin, but the Madagascar sapphires rival Ceylon in many cases. Just look at Ajsgems.com and tell me if you can see a dramatic difference in their Ceylon vs Madagascar sapphires.

BTW, I much rather have a fine sapphire over a white diamond any day of the week. They''re much rarer, and I enjoy the color. Princess Diana had a sapphire e-ring in case you didn''t know.

TL: I really like SS, but their sapphires are so hard to view. I wish they had clearer pictures on their website.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2009 6:21:14 PM
Author: Linda W

TL: I really like SS, but their sapphires are so hard to view. I wish they had clearer pictures on their website.
I know, I don''t get all the "fuzzy" shots. This isn''t glamourshots, they''re gemstones for crying out loud.
emcrook.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results