shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Spinel... Am I missing something? Or is it really this good of a deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
http://www.artcutgems.com/item.php?item_id=492&page=2&category_id=48

Find something wrong with it for me! I''m not supposed to buy any more sparklies for a while, LOL!

3.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Pic...

Spin 26.JPG

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Never mind, I want this blue topaz instead, LOL:
http://www.artcutgems.com/item.php?item_id=264&category_id=49

You have all corrupted me, LOL.

ConTop 3.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2008 8:06:42 PM
Author: geckodani
Never mind, I want this blue topaz instead, LOL:
http://www.artcutgems.com/item.php?item_id=264&category_id=49

You have all corrupted me, LOL.
That''s because we''re all enablers here in coloured stones!
11.gif

Love the colour but the cut looks really wonky to me. Either that or the stone is tipped somehow....

LS

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I think it's just a wonky cut, LOL.

*sigh* No more sparklies for me for a while, anyway.
28.gif
I'll have to make do with drooling.

This could be a good hobby though. If I ever have daughters, I'm sure they'll appreciate it, LOL.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
It''s a really beautiful colour (at least in the pic). But it looks lopsided somehow...

LS

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2008 8:47:59 PM
Author: LostSapphire
It''s a really beautiful colour (at least in the pic). But it looks lopsided somehow...

LS

It does - the bottom point looks like it''s off to the right. It''s "speckled" too.

The blue topaz is delicious though...I am determined to get one someday myself, and they are really affordable!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for deterring me, LOL. I needed it.

Monkeypie - I too, want a topaz! I think my first gem purchase will be an amethyst or topaz, just based on the level of expendable income at the moment. I'm just glad there are a few affordable options! And for $65 on that topaz... sheesh. Hold back Dani, hold back!

Would it be odd to ask for gemstones for Christmas?
9.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2008 9:47:32 PM
Thanks for deterring me, LOL. I needed it.

Monkeypie - I too, want a topaz! I think my first gem purchase will be an amethyst or topaz, just based on the level of expendable income at the moment. I''m just glad there are a few affordable options! And for $65 on that topaz... sheesh. Hold back Dani, hold back!

Would it be odd to ask for gemstones for Christmas?
9.gif
I''d think it would be odd NOT TO!!!
emwink.gif

LS

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
LOL LS. I never know what to ask for.... gems would work!

I was just telling DH I think I''ve finally found a hobby!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2008 9:55:35 PM

My husband calls it an addiction or obsession and that I need help
20.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2008 10:03:27 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

Date: 7/26/2008 9:55:35 PM

20.gif
My husband owns chain mail. He has no room to talk.
19.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2008 10:03:27 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

20.gif
Hehe, this sounds closer to what my hubby thinks of this place too! At least he humors me
9.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I have more pics... should I go for it?

Icekid.... DH is totally humoring me too, LOL!

btopazimg.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE that colour.

The cut still looks really wonky to me but then I saw the price and thought: "why not?" It''s not a gazillion bucks!

go for it.

LS

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
LS- The cut is a little funky. But - the color is SO great. And so is the price! I think once it's set it will be unnoticeable. Hmmm. If it's still there once all the bills are paid, I'll go for it, LOL.

'Sides, there's a 10 day return policy. If I get it and it's odd in person, I'll send it back.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2008 12:50:25 PM
LS- The cut is a little funky. But - the color is SO great. And so is the price! I think once it''s set it will be unnoticeable. Hmmm. If it''s still there once all the bills are paid, I''ll go for it, LOL.

''Sides, there''s a 10 day return policy. If I get it and it''s odd in person, I''ll send it back.

Sounds like a great plan. Good luck!

LS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't mean to rain on the parade over here, but honestly, I don't like that cut at all.

I am a HUGE blue topaz fan and while the color is nice, it's nothing that you can't find elsewhere for a LOT cheaper with a more traditional cut.

Also, there isn't a carat weight listed, which is bothering me as well. I'm guessing it's around the 3ct mark from what I've gathered from other stones.

One thing to note is that blue topaz is CHEAP. It usually should range about 5-10 dollars a carat, because it is so plentiful. London Blue is more expensive than Swiss, and Swiss is more expensive than Sky.

Here is a London Blue topaz that is about the same size-8.09 x 8.06 x 5.27 mm From GemSelect that's $16

Or here is a Swiss blue that's BIGGER at 4.62 cts and 10mm x 10mm from Forever Gemstones that's $47.

I'm assuming that the reason that one is so expensive is because of the cut, but being that you don't even like the cut, that is bothersome to me.

I'm considering Swiss blue topaz for my ering, and I've done a ton of research on them. The stone that I've posted above are stones that I've had my eye on for a while for myself.

I'd keep looking if it's only the color that you're looking for.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2008 1:09:35 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I don''t mean to rain on the parade over here, but honestly, I don''t like that cut at all.

I am a HUGE blue topaz fan and while the color is nice, it''s nothing that you can''t find elsewhere for a LOT cheaper with a more traditional cut.

Also, there isn''t a carat weight listed, which is bothering me as well. I''m guessing it''s around the 3ct mark from what I''ve gathered from other stones.

One thing to note is that blue topaz is CHEAP. It usually should range about 5-10 dollars a carat, because it is so plentiful. London Blue is more expensive than Swiss, and Swiss is more expensive than Sky.

Here is a London Blue topaz that is about the same size-8.09 x 8.06 x 5.27 mm From GemSelect that''s $16

Or here is a Swiss blue that''s BIGGER at 4.62 cts and 10mm x 10mm from Forever Gemstones that''s $47.

I''m assuming that the reason that one is so expensive is because of the cut, but being that you don''t even like the cut, that is bothersome to me.

I''m considering Swiss blue topaz for my ering, and I''ve done a ton of research on them. The stone that I''ve posted above are stones that I''ve had my eye on for a while for myself.

I''d keep looking if it''s only the color that you''re looking for.

Freke - Thank you!
1.gif
I am new to the gem buying world, and any and all assistance is appreciated. Thanks for the education, and for the different stones to check out. I''ll keep looking- and perhaps educate myself a bit more before making any purchases.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2008 2:30:16 PM
Freke - Thank you!
1.gif
I am new to the gem buying world, and any and all assistance is appreciated. Thanks for the education, and for the different stones to check out. I''ll keep looking- and perhaps educate myself a bit more before making any purchases.
You''re welcome. I just wanted to let you know about the price because I''ve done such extensive research on topaz (and I think it''s undervalued-but I guess that''s from it''s commonality) because I love the stone so much. The hard thing with finding a blue topaz is more in the realm of shape. There are ovals all over the place, but finding rounds is next to impossible (online at least).

One of the coolest things about topaz (IMHO) is that it is cheap and so you can kind of afford to make some mistakes with them. I bought a London Blue from Gemselect not too long ago, for about $14 and it wasn''t exactly what I was expecting, but I got a better idea of the color and step cuts from it. So I really think it''s a cool stone to learn with and I plan on buying many many more...and maybe my ering will be made with one!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2008 4:14:19 PM

You''re welcome. I just wanted to let you know about the price because I''ve done such extensive research on topaz (and I think it''s undervalued-but I guess that''s from it''s commonality) because I love the stone so much. The hard thing with finding a blue topaz is more in the realm of shape. There are ovals all over the place, but finding rounds is next to impossible (online at least).

One of the coolest things about topaz (IMHO) is that it is cheap and so you can kind of afford to make some mistakes with them. I bought a London Blue from Gemselect not too long ago, for about $14 and it wasn''t exactly what I was expecting, but I got a better idea of the color and step cuts from it. So I really think it''s a cool stone to learn with and I plan on buying many many more...and maybe my ering will be made with one!!
Yeah, I figure topaz and amethyst are probably the ones to start with, since if I screw up with a 20-40 dollar stone the world will not end, LOL.

I think it''s cool that you''re considering topaz for your ering. I love my diamond, but there are moments I long for color, LOL. Which is why I''m working on expanding my colored jewelry collection.
9.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Update! Been talking with Rick at Art Cut Gems. :) Info on the stone (this is excerpted from a longer email):

"The stone is a calibrated 8 x 8 mm. cushion, which is designed to fit a specific size setting. Usually weights for calibrated stones are not mentioned because the size is a known quantity and other stocked stones of the same dimension vary in weight a little.

The stone is 2.14 ct. which comes out to about $30.39 per carat – for concave faceting which is a lot more work and much more expensive than regular flat faceting. Flat facets are cut first then grooves are carefully cut and polished at strategic points so as to reflect light in a unique way. Concaved stones generally have more brilliance than flat-faceting and have a distinctive face-up appearance. Some people like them, others don’t. If you don’t, I can supply flat-faceted Swiss Blue topaz (and Sky Blue and London Blue as well) in rounds, ovals, trillions, squares, marquises, pears, hearts and rectangles at considerably lower prices than for Swiss Blue at least. London Blue prices are a little higher."

Freke was correct that the price on the stone is a bit higher due to the concave faceting. I quite like it, actually. I keep staring at the pics...

Here''s hoping the stone is still there in a few weeks when I might be able to purchase it.
9.gif

Totally impressed with Rick too, very helpful!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2008 1:09:35 PM
I don''t mean to rain on the parade over here, but honestly, I don''t like that cut at all.

I am a HUGE blue topaz fan and while the color is nice, it''s nothing that you can''t find elsewhere for a LOT cheaper with a more traditional cut.

Also, there isn''t a carat weight listed, which is bothering me as well. I''m guessing it''s around the 3ct mark from what I''ve gathered from other stones.

Here is a London Blue topaz that is about the same size-8.09 x 8.06 x 5.27 mm From GemSelect that''s $16

Or here is a Swiss blue that''s BIGGER at 4.62 cts and 10mm x 10mm from Forever Gemstones that''s $47.

I''m assuming that the reason that one is so expensive is because of the cut, but being that you don''t even like the cut, that is bothersome to me.

I''m considering Swiss blue topaz for my ering, and I''ve done a ton of research on them. The stone that I''ve posted above are stones that I''ve had my eye on for a while for myself.

I''d keep looking if it''s only the color that you''re looking for.
Freke:

You continue to amaze me with your depth of information! thank you for taking the time to post this kind of stuff!

LS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results