shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Sapphire aka My Blue Dream - Photos

epgs

Rough_Rock
Hey PSers! I have been reading the forums for awhile now and finally decided to join in the fun! Everyone here seems super friendly and helpful :) I have always been into coloured stones and minerals every since i was a young boy. I remember the days when my mother use to take us to the library and i always took home a book about gems rocks and minerals. Now that i am an adult and have a little bit of money to spend on gemstones i've finally started my collection.

My focus was to try and buy the best stones of the highest qualities within my budget because i felt like if i had spent my money on gems i didn't value very highly then i would enjoy them for a bit then stick them into box and quickly forget about them.

So here i am today, I want to share with you my most recent addition to my personal collection. A Blue sapphire aka My Blue Dream.

This sapphire is a 7.04 carat, Ceylon/Sri Lanka origin, GRS "type Royal blue, (H)eat only in the exclusive emerald shape.
This sapphire came with a GRS lab report.

I have been reading a lot of posts by kenny about setting up and photographing my goods but have not invested into a nice (expensive) camera. So for now i am going to show you the photos from my vendor and also photos from my iphone 4s. Sorry!

_6308.jpg

_6309.jpg

_6311.jpg

_6312.jpg

epgs

Rough_Rock
Enjoy!

_6315.jpg

_6316.jpg

_6317.jpg

_6318.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very sweet sapphire. Do you mind sharing the mm measurements? What are your plans for this stone? Just keep it unset or are you thinking of setting and wearing it?

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's a beautiful color!!!

epgs

Rough_Rock
Thank you!

I am planning on making a ring for myself. I am a man. Does anyone have any suggestions on a ring style for this shape?

The measurements are 11.63x7.78x7.36.

Its fairly deep!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I figured you were male with your first post of "since I was a young boy". Going the traditional N/S route will make the ring overly bulky since a lot of metal is required to reach up to the corners. How about setting it E/W?

Rainbird

Rough_Rock
What a corker of a sapphire epgs. It's huge. :love:

I like Chrono's idea of an east-west setting. Often times you see men's rings set this way in a simple bezel. However, I'm not sure if a bezel will make the sapphire darken too much? What a great project though. I can't wait to see what you do with this lovely stone.

Kaede

Rough_Rock
Hmm, Chrono, usually if you start out a boy you grow up into a man, but it's not a guarantee any more. My oldest daughter is now my oldest son.

It's a beautiful stone. I'm just beginning my stone collection, too. I ave a cat's eye alexandrite and a color chane garnet. Both are in storage right now. (I just moved, unpacking stones not very high on my priority list right now.)

So "hey" to you all out ther in PSland.

Imagine a waving smilie. Can't figure out how to put one in the text. Just too tired.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh that color is just stunning, truly. I agree i find EW settings the most flattering for men rings, and that shape i think would be nice for that stone :twirl:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Marymm, that is just gorgeous. It has an Egyptian revival feel and would make a fabulous men's ring, though I'd remove the side stones .

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaede|1368664407|3447764 said:
Hmm, Chrono, usually if you start out a boy you grow up into a man, but it's not a guarantee any more. My oldest daughter is now my oldest son.

Welcome Kaede and hope you feel well rested today. You are correct, it isn't a guarantee anymore but at least your child will forever be your child. :))

Epgs,
I would go with a very open half bezel set east west or a psuedo tension set east west.

epgs

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your replies. You all make me feel at home here!

I am definately going to do an E/W setting. Considering a tension setting cause i think they are so cool! But have to see how thats going to look.

The bezel setting is quite common from a mans emerald shape ring and i do like the look. It may make the stone look a little dark but thats okay because my blue dream is a sleeper. As soon as light hits it, it looks amazing :love:

I am planning on getting my ring made by a AGTA spectrum award winning designer in Vancouver here where i am from. I will share our ideas and designs with you all when i get them.

My desicion to the design is going to be between a half bezel setting or a tension setting. In platinum or white gold. I am not too crazy about having diamonds on my ring but i think having baguette accents around the border of my ring would be wonderful!

Heres, a similar ring thats being sold on eBay that i got the style from.

_6410.jpg

_6411.jpg

epgs

Rough_Rock
Thank you Rainbird.

That is what sold me on the stone was not just the color but the shape and large size. :!:

epgs

Rough_Rock
marymm|1368669618|3447833 said:
This is an east-west setting I love, and it is open on the sides too - what about something along these lines?

dsc00026_lg.jpg

http://www.corysmithstudios.com/

Thanks for the example! I really want to make this a heirloom/special piece. I really like the lines and designs along the sides of the ring.

I want to do something unique and special like that. I would love to have some special engravings on my ring like this ring.

_6413.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that stone! The color is fantastic! I'm really curious to see how you'll end up setting it - We have a few gentlemen around here, but the more the merrier!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want bespoke, it doesn't get better than this:
http://www.rdgnz.com

There's a male PSer who set his stone into a gorgeous pheonix ring.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning color, love it.
I am in love with that ring, makes me want to make hubby one, if only he would wear it.

epgs

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the bump, but I have updates for you all!

Thanks to everyone who gave me their opinions on the setting I am going to get made into a nice ring for myself. Just saving up some funds for that to be made.

I am so embarrassed by my iPhone 4s photos I need to do my Blue Dream justice!

Finally, I have a decent camera and have taken updated pics to share with everyone.

Photos are taken under two different lightings and seen through a 10x Loupe with light.

Enjoy!!

pic_0250.jpg

pic_0253.jpg

pic_0255.jpg

pic_0256.jpg

ZaPaDoS

Rough_Rock
Wow baller stone dude!

What did you drop on it? :)

epgs

Rough_Rock
ZaPaDoS|1371012596|3463985 said:
Wow baller stone dude!

What did you drop on it? :)

Lol hmm.. I don't mind sharing that with everyone.

But why don't we have a little bit of fun and see if the can guess or even tell me what they think its worth! :lol:

Would love to hear what the "professionals" say about it. I kind of do want to find out if I got a good deal or not.

guilhermeesq

Shiny_Rock
over 5 but under 10 grand you paid

epgs

Rough_Rock
guilhermeesq|1371049609|3464174 said:

Nice try! But at your guess of 6780 that would be about 980 per carat. I wish fine blue sapphire were that cheap! If they were everybody would have them... :loopy:

Quite a bit more for it then that. But thanks for your guess and your input.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
epgs|1371057453|3464292 said:
guilhermeesq|1371049609|3464174 said:

Nice try! But at your guess of 6780 that would be about 980 per carat. I wish fine blue sapphire were that cheap! If they were everybody would have them... :loopy:

Quite a bit more for it then that. But thanks for your guess and your input.

I've been out of the colored stone game for a while, but I'd probably guess somewhere around ten times that ... but I'll leave it to the more recent experts to get specific. I just want to say that that's one of the prettiest stones I ever did see - amazing color, wonderful cut. Have you decided on a metal for the setting as yet?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sure is a gorgeous color!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Such a beautiful stone and very worthy of such a name! I would even go so far as to say that it's likely that that stone is not just dancing through your dreams, but many other PSer's as well!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So a few questions for you, OP before I hazard a guess. Is it eye clean? It appears to have color zoning in the photos - does it or is it an illusion? Are your photos accurate for color intensity? Is your stone darker than that in real life? Did GRS list it as dark or medium dark?

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your stone. I think it should be named My Blue Heaven! :naughty:

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
It's a gorgeous sapphire! At over 7cts, I'll guess 30k.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results