shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Sapphire aka My Blue Dream - Photos

guilhermeesq

Shiny_Rock
I really meant no insult and i was only saying what I thought YOU had paid for the stone

The value of the stone I believe to be much higher than you paid

You dont strike me as the type of guy who likes to pay full price

you seem like the type who waits in the bushes and when the deal of the century comes up you bite at it

I really think you paid between 5-10k and the value of the stone i am not able to tell you

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
25-30K (not be crass but since you're taking guesses)!

Gosh it is TDF.

epgs

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1371061883|3464359 said:
So a few questions for you, OP before I hazard a guess. Is it eye clean? It appears to have color zoning in the photos - does it or is it an illusion? Are your photos accurate for color intensity? Is your stone darker than that in real life? Did GRS list it as dark or medium dark?

I dont quite understand what you mean by the color zoning but it is highly saturated, GRS report is vivid blue "grs type royal blue". I believe my photos to be accurate And yes it is a darker stone until light hits it. The cut is excellent and makes it sparkle as you can see. it does have an inclusion that can be seen with the naked eye but does not affect the brilliance or durability. I will take a photo of the grs report and some more photos when i get home from work. ;-)

@guilhermeesq no offense taken, i would hope to be someone who can get great deals and pounce on the opportunity to get a stone of this caliber for below or at wholesale cost but the reality is, especially when it comes to the big three is that the miners, dealers,brokers all know what they have. They are in the business and have a good grip of the value of this sapphire is worth. An important thing i like to tell myself when it comes to valuing stones is. What are comparable stones selling for? Also, if no two stones are a like how does one put a price tag on something that cannot be replaced at will. 8-)

Thanks to everyone who commented on my Blue Dream. I have chosen to do an E-W half bezel set ring. In platinum or WG.

Thanks to everyone who have participated in guessing the price. I will wait a little bit more before i reveal the price range i paid. I do really want to see what everyone opinion on what its worth and what the industry experts also think the price is to see if i got a good deal or not.

Cheers!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really have no idea what you paid but I think the estimate of 5-10K is a joke.

When I am browsing I look only at in stock stones of smaller sizes (hey I dream small) so I don't ever cost compare at those sizes. All I can say is a stone with that apparent saturation, clarity is exceedingly rare for that size.

I don't typically like "dark" sapphires" but it really seems to hold its color. I am really looking forward to seeing it set.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
epgs: you know as the crystal for corundum grows it sort of grows in layers, so if there is a greater (or lesser) intensity of the coloring agents (sorry - I should know what they are but I don't), then it will be less or more colored, which will appear as banding. From your photos, while I can see the vivid saturation and lovely hue, it also looks like looking down on the stone, the color may not be consistent across the length, if you kwim, but might vary in slight bands. I see this in each photo (except the shots where you used flash) but it could be some kind of illusion. Anyway, if the color zoning is present, it would be slightly less pricey to purchase.

In other words, I was basically trying to get more info and "hints from the teacher" before I made my guess, lol :bigsmile:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and I think you are wise to do it E/W - I think you would have to have some honking big hands to do a stone that big N/S!

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Can we see the grs report? Then I'll guess lol!

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
hi epgy,

welcome to ps and congratulations on your gorgeous acquisition! as you can see, I, too, am a lover of emerald cut sapphire.

regarding the price paid, I have 1 comment. sapphire values are driven primarily by color and it is virtually impossible to discern fine differences (on a computer screen) that can result in prices of $10,000/ct+ vs much, much less. clearly, your sapphire has a very fine color. but how fine? it's really hard to say (at least for me).

also (I assume you are looking for frank, honest feedback). pls stop reading here if you aren't!!!!

if I were trying to put a high value on your sapphire, i.e., I would pay absolutely no more than $x based on the photo alone, here's my calculation:

1. start with $10,000/ct for a fine, gem quality unheated 5-10ct stone w no significant origin (Kashmir or Burma)
2. discount 50% for heat treatment
3. discount another 20-30% for the cut; your sapphire is very deep as you have mentioned. my 5.62 ct has almost exactly the same dimensions as yours

that gets me to about $4,000/ct or $28,000. but that is for "gem-quality" color. and I just can't tell based the photos. I agree w MB that I see some extinction or color zoning in the photographs, but I have no idea whether that is what you see. also, the tone looks a touch dark. finally, the hue looks good on my screen but again, if there is any visible green or not enough purple, value could decrease rather significantly.

all three factors would cause further discounts in price.

finally, I have seen quite a few GRS "vivid blue, GRS type royal blue" stones, and I can tell you that that means virtually nothing ... you need to know the true composition of hue, tone and factors such as zoning and extinction.

if this is a very high value stone, I would strongly urge you to send it to agl for a prestige report. then you will REALLY know.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful color and cut!

guilhermeesq

Shiny_Rock
The more I look at the sapphire in question the more i notice the extinction and some definite color zoning in the middle of the stone

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I think your sapphire is beautiful. It is quite large, very clean and is a size you see at auctions. Therefore, I'm putting it between 40-50 thousand and posssibly more. Its just a guess, but the size is ideal.
wish you wwell and hope you make a ring that is unique and beautiful. do love the engravings you showed in the picture.

Annette

guilhermeesq

Shiny_Rock
something gives me a feeling the OP is going to keep the price paid a secret :lol:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

OP, I don't think the professionals will be guessing. It would probably be against PS policy for other vendors to comment on another vendors stone. That is not allowed. They can of course speak in general terms, but i don't think you will get any guesses from them.

If by pros you mean Chrono, LD or TL, you may get guesses from them.

I have thought about my guess and do want to know if it unheated or heated as that would affect my answer. I'm changing it to the 30-35000. I think I was too high.

Annette

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest that the OP not hold his breath for them as Chrono will not be available for a week or so and TL and LD seldom post any more :(sad ;(

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slksapphire|1371165493|3465397 said:
hi epgy,

welcome to ps and congratulations on your gorgeous acquisition! as you can see, I, too, am a lover of emerald cut sapphire.

regarding the price paid, I have 1 comment. sapphire values are driven primarily by color and it is virtually impossible to discern fine differences (on a computer screen) that can result in prices of $10,000/ct+ vs much, much less. clearly, your sapphire has a very fine color. but how fine? it's really hard to say (at least for me).

also (I assume you are looking for frank, honest feedback). pls stop reading here if you aren't!!!!

if I were trying to put a high value on your sapphire, i.e., I would pay absolutely no more than $x based on the photo alone, here's my calculation:

1. start with $10,000/ct for a fine, gem quality unheated 5-10ct stone w no significant origin (Kashmir or Burma)
3. discount another 20-30% for the cut; your sapphire is very deep as you have mentioned. my 5.62 ct has almost exactly the same dimensions as yours

that gets me to about $4,000/ct or $28,000. but that is for "gem-quality" color. and I just can't tell based the photos. I agree w MB that I see some extinction or color zoning in the photographs, but I have no idea whether that is what you see. also, the tone looks a touch dark. finally, the hue looks good on my screen but again, if there is any visible green or not enough purple, value could decrease rather significantly.

finally, I have seen quite a few GRS "vivid blue, GRS type royal blue" stones, and I can tell you that that means virtually nothing ... you need to know the true composition of hue, tone and factors such as zoning and extinction.

if this is a very high value stone, I would strongly urge you to send it to agl for a prestige report. then you will REALLY know.

This is very good advice IMO, and I think to know the true quality, which will help with the appraised value, do send it to AGL for the FULL prestige report. There are two kinds of prestige reports, and the more expensive one has all the qualitative information on color, clarity, cutting, tone, origin, treatment.

guilhermeesq

Shiny_Rock
slksapphire has some very good advice , possibly the best ive seen so far.

I wonder how much the zoning in the middle of the stone and the extinction will affect the value
the more i think the more i think loser to 1000 a carat

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
No GRS report?

epgs

Rough_Rock
slksapphire|1371165493|3465397 said:
hi epgy,

Greetings everyone! I hope everyone had a great weekend and Fathers day! Sorry for the delay had a busy weekend and didn't have time to sit down on the computer.

@slksapphire, Thank you so much for your input. It is great to hear someone who has a wonderful comparable stone!Thank you for your honest feedback that is all I expect from all you PSers!

I totally agree that an AGL Prestige report would be a great investment for my stone. It would truly lay out all the information needed to grade a highly valuable gemstone. I am considering sending it in to AGL for a Prestige report. I think it will only add more value to it.

Regards to your comments, these all my opinions from my own due diligence. By no means am I a professional.
1.) Agree with you completely.
2.) Heat treatment can vary in deductions from 30%-50% depending on how treated it is
3.) I actually have came across different information regarding the emerald cut.
I have heard the emerald cut is more exclusive. It is more rare to find an fine emerald cut sapphire, I've been told. According to this price guide emerald cut gets a 7%-20% premium rather then a discount of 30% as you suggest.

http://www.git.or.th/eng/info_center_en/gems_price_list_en/colored_stone_prices_en/2009/05/spring_summer_2009_cstones_eng.pdf

On Pricescope I have found Richard Wise comment on another post about the emerald cut sapphire.

by Richard W. Wise » August 12th, 2010, 8:46 am
Portree,

Fine quality emerald cut sapphires are rare simply because, with 18 facets, only gems with very good crystal (transparency or diaphanity) will deliver the brilliance we all love. So the material must be very fine. When its good, and emerald cut is very good. Of the traditional cuts, it is potentially the most elegant. The one you refer to on my site is truly beautiful.

"Open color" really refers to good crystal (transparency). Some dealers use the term to apply to purer blue rather than royal or purplish blue.

Best,

Richard W. Wise, G.G.
Author: Secrets Of The Gem Trade, The Connoisseur's Guide To Precious Gemstones and The French Blue
www.rwwise.com

I appreciate your honest input and feedback. With your calculations and valuations you are close to what I paid. Thanks to all that have participated and read my post. My cost of my dream sapphire is more then $2000/per carat and less then $4000/per carat and that is all I can say in regards to what I paid. I truly believe I got a great deal !

We can all learn something from each other and that is the fun part of being part of this forum!I agree that to truly judge the quality and value of a stone, one would have to have it in their hands. Because of course, when photographing anything.. we always pick out the best shots to show off. :D

Without having it in your possession for judging a AGL Prestige Report would be a great informative tool and I will be some time sending my Blue Dream in for one.

Cheers!

Here is a photo of the GRS report and a fun photo I took of Crimson and Blue Dream and some ol' watch. :lol:

pic_0259.jpg

pic_0090.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
guilhermeesq|1371342299|3466706 said:
slksapphire has some very good advice , possibly the best ive seen so far.

I wonder how much the zoning in the middle of the stone and the extinction will affect the value
the more i think the more i think loser to 1000 a carat
This post made me laugh. Zoning isn't going to affect it that much, and extinction rarely has any huge effect unless it's really bad and the stone completely blacks out.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the price you paid sounds reasonable - not fantastic, but good. I say that because it has both excellent qualities like great size and saturation, and because it has some serious drawbacks, like you are paying for substantial weight you can't see, and more importantly, it definitely has quite eye visible zoning (or you have a strange optical illusion in just about every one of your photos). The zoning would knock it out of contention for me, but that just means that someone like you gets it for a cheaper price and ends up with a big stone they are thrilled with!

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Love the combo!

guilhermeesq

Shiny_Rock
Looking and looking and looking , cant decide on the price. i mean its a really amazing stone

i am not good at appraising , i think you have a phenomenal stone here !!! I take back my previous guesses i cant make a proper guess!!

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
epgs,

thanks for your your response. i just wanted to clarify that my comment regarding cut was referring to the faceting / overly deep cutting (hence, "invisible" weight underneath) rather than shape. you are correct that a well-cut emerald shaped sapphire is rarer than an oval or cushion (as the rough is more naturally suited to those shapes) and thus commands a premium. it is the other factors that would result in further discounts.

i hope you do get the agl prestige report and when you do, it would be wonderful if you would post it here.

epgs

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1371494652|3467486 said:
I think the price you paid sounds reasonable - not fantastic, but good. I say that because it has both excellent qualities like great size and saturation, and because it has some serious drawbacks, like you are paying for substantial weight you can't see, and more importantly, it definitely has quite eye visible zoning (or you have a strange optical illusion in just about every one of your photos). The zoning would knock it out of contention for me, but that just means that someone like you gets it for a cheaper price and ends up with a big stone they are thrilled with!

:D Yup, at the end of the day every stone has its flaws. It is finding the "right combos" you are happy with. The saturation, color, shape and size definitely sold me on this stone. I do agree about the hidden weight part when it comes to dimensions and I do believe that every cutter does their best to maximize weight but still having to do an excellent cutting job. I personally do not see any windows or any large area of extinction. I do see that this stone is highly brilliant and shines beautifully in different light settings but in some lighting is medium to dark color with no flashes back to the eye.

Nothing is perfect especially when it comes to gemstones and perfection is definitely in the eyes of the holder.

One thing I really like about gemstones is, and of course there is a "average price" out their by comparing similar stones to one another. But the reality is that one person will not pay $1500/per carat for this stone and someone else in this world would perhaps gladly pay $4-6000/per carat for this stone.

As noted in another post by another member, they have suggested that prices are on the way up. With global inflation, huge Chinese demand for quality stones and also for dwindling supplies in the higher quality goods are all valid reasons.

I was told by my vendor that sapphires like this sold some years ago for around $1800/per carat. Today the price has almost doubled.

@guilhermeesq Thank you for your comments, I am happy to share my goods with you all.

I've always regarded GRS as a very reputable lab and I am not taking anything from them and still think highly of them but on the flip side the AGL Prestige Report is very thorough, super descriptive and informative and next time I buy a high value stone I will ask for an AGL Prestige Report as part of the deal. :D

Cheers!

guilhermeesq

Shiny_Rock
the pic with the stones on the rolex really did it for me.

I enjoyed the blue before but seeing it infront of a rolex really shows the contrast between the rich blue and the watch.

It looked really nice blue before, but if you set that in any type of gold it will look almost electric blue .

Im 25 and hopefully by the time i am 50 will be able to own a stone of this calibre. again i apologize for the lowball estimate

guilhermeesq

Shiny_Rock
I have a setting idea,

A Mini king crown that fits around your finger, With the sapphire as the main crown jewel and 2 small rubies off to the side
and diamonds all around that . not sure what color gold.

Something a bit like this

gold-crown-ring.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love seeing the stones together! I bet that sucker flashes blue like nobody's business! I'm looking forward to seeing how you set it!

epgs

Rough_Rock
cool looking crown ring guilhermeesq but I am going for a simpler sophisticated clean look. That is more of a fun ring.

I will keep you posted on my progress Freke. I can't wait to have it made into a ring..

Cheers!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results