shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue / Pink and Oval / Rectangle for Van Craeynest setting?

Blue Oval or Pink / Lavender Rectangle for this VC setting?

• 1.51 ct Oval cobalt bearing blue spinel

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • 1.36 ct Rectangular cc pink to lavender spinel

Votes: 17 37.0%

• Total voters

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Blue / Pink and Oval / Rectangle for Van Craeynest setti

BLUE!!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I didn't vote before either....

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock

I voted: blue!

I love your blue zircon and your emerald! Ok, I love all your stones!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

I totally agree with Davi and VL for the lavender and I voted :bigsmile: I wondered before whether it was possible to open the ring a little to replace the head and I think that would make a difference. Nonetheless, I still think the lavender just pops in that setting rather than the eye not knowing whether to go to the blue or the ring.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock

Enerchi|1348574408|3274197 said:
(and in real life... I am a MESS when it comes to my own decisions - decisions for other people are a breeze!! :lol: )

I'm with Enerchi on this - its SO much easier to make decisions for someone else! :lol: BLUE BLUE BLUE. The setting shows the stone beautifully and the stone highlights the setting. I love :love: the blue spinel

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock

I'm surprised at how much i like the pastel spinel...and I'm partial to the deep blue color. However, i prefer the shape of the blue some for that setting. It look s better. Sooooo, blue if its between the two

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

As much as I love pink/purple and your pink stone, the blue looks stunning with your yg setting, so I vote blue :love:
The overlap wouldn't bother me at all. How often do we actually look at a setting head on, anyway. Well, if you are me, rarely, so not a problem for me.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think you know my feelings on the Luc Yen, which looks pretty in the setting, but not as striking as the blue, in my opinion.

As a side note, I love the picture with the red spinels. All my favourite colours! I would love to see pictures of your whole collection of rings and stones. I'm going to go digging and see if I can find a thread on your second red spinel ring. ;-)

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

I voted for the pink/lavender stone. I like the soft color with the buttery yellow gold setting. I also think the shape of that stone goes better with the setting for some reason...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm probably missing some names but here's the current head count:

Blue oval (17)
Enerchi, Amelia, PinkJewel, MTG, Cookie, JewelFreak, Chloe, Freke, TL, Minou, Arkteia, Violet, Txgreeneyes, jbkhere, Wordie, Kaekae and NKOTB

Pink lavender rectangle (6)
Davi, Colorluvr, VL, Marymm, Starzin and Stargurl

I am leaning towards the blue spinel at the moment. Prior to this, I was leaning towards the pink lavender cushion. :twirl: It's also easier for me to say Yay or Nay when it is someone else's stone and design too. Must be human nature. :lol:

NTKOB,
I think I posted a couple of photoshoots but that was quite a while ago. I was still strugging with learning to photograph gemstones at that time so the picture and colour quality aren't very good. In addition, I've reset a few stones, and also added a few more stones (and set) since then.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chronos-guess-the-stone-game.113313/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chronos-guess-the-stone-game.113313/[/URL]

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono there may be people voting who haven't commented in this thread since the figures I see at this point are 21 and 12. I don't know if you are able to tell that as the poll originator.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Starzin,
That was my subtle hint to the voters who did not speak up as to why they voted one way versus the other. :cheeky:

maccers

Brilliant_Rock

I'm really new to the forum and all the gem talk - I'm sure I miss subtleties that aren't subtle to others. Having said that, my gut went for the lavender. I love the femininity of it. Both are gorgeous, I'd have no problem wearing either of them :) but I think I've seen more of the blue contrast with gold more often than the lavender. Also, I notice the setting more with the lavender stone - I think they complement one another in a more balanced way. Of course, that means you don't get the 'pop' of contrast like the blue spinel...I guess it really does come down to personal preference.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Maccers! :wavey: Glad to bring you out of the woodwork and thank you for your explaination.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono:

I voted for the lavender spinel as well. I liked the soft color of the entire set. I also love a rich blue stone in platinum/white gold with some diamond accents. Just a personal preference, not as fond of blue stones in yg, although I have seen some amazing ones on PS that make me change my mind.. I am sure it will be gorgeous with either stone.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I voted for the blue spinel! Two different looks - *kerPOW* vs. *romantic*. They both have great appeal, but here's what happens with me: instant love when I see the blue spinel, don't want to leave it to scroll down... then 'ohhhh, well this is pretty too!' when I see the lavender stone. I admire it for a moment, but I can't wait to scroll back up to the blue. To me, the blue with that setting is mesmerizing!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rainydaze|1348675959|3274947 said:
I voted for the blue spinel! Two different looks - *kerPOW* vs. *romantic*. They both have great appeal, but here's what happens with me: instant love when I see the blue spinel, don't want to leave it to scroll down... then 'ohhhh, well this is pretty too!' when I see the lavender stone. I admire it for a moment, but I can't wait to scroll back up to the blue. To me, the blue with that setting is mesmerizing!

Well said!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes, I agree with Minous - Rainydaze said that very well, as to why she voted blue! I like the kerPOW of the blue as well .

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Late to the party, but definately the Blue Spinel...that stone is eye-popping. I have never seen a Blue Spinel with zero gray cast. I mean...I've seen some nice ones, I own a couple, but they all have a tiny bit of steely or grey component, however small.

That one is zero gray. How rare is that? NOthing against the pastel stone, but that Cobalt Spinel is just unheard-of saturation-wise.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

I cast my vote for the luc yen and explained my reason in the previous thread. I'm certainly not saying the blue does not look striking, but I think the lavender looks more refined and more unique.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Is the setting 18kt? I feel like the lavender would be better with a lower karat yellow gold, if you choose to go that way.

This is very difficult you know. These are two of my favorite colors, and you know how I feel about spinels...

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono|1348597761|3274432 said:
Something's not right with my poll once I do a head count and compare it to the poll results:

Blue (10)
Enerchi, Amelia, PinkJewel, MTG, Cookie, JewelFreak, Chloe, Freke, TL and Minou

Lavender (4)
Davi, Colorluvr, VL and Marymm

Siily, silly me! Didn't press the poll button. :oops:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, the VC setting is a very unusually soft buttery 18k yellow gold. Do you all think the softer pink / lavender spinel might be better enhanced in a rose gold setting instead?

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for the link to that other thread!

Do you have anything rose gold you could put the lavender spinel beside, or could someone photoshop this setting to look rose gold so we can picture it more easily?

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Blue all the way. Both lovely stones but the spinel, IMO would look better in another metal color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

NKOTB,
I don't have a single rose gold setting but I might have time this afternoon to take a picture of the Luc Yen spinel on a shiny penny.

Looks like a very strong consensus for the oval blue spinel in the VC!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono one of the reasons I prefer the lavender is the shape. Somehow the straight sides of the cushion complement the inner vertical diamond setting whereas, to my mind, the oval doesn't blend either with those straight lines or the slightly shield/triangular outer area or the round stones (in this instance).

However there is something else niggling me here.... can I term it ambivalence on your part? Let me see if I can explain this somehow without seeming harsh. I have to confess I'm not in love with either of them in this setting. As I said before, personally I think the gold competes with the blue - I can see something more akin to the Amelia pad for this amazing blue spinel whether or not the half moons are diamonds - and I would prefer something more streamlined for the gorgeous Luc Yen. While I like the "engraving" on this ring, I'm not a lover of milgraine and this is no doubt colouring my opinion here so definitely take it with a grain of salt, but you did ask for reasoning behind our preference and I'm just trying to expand on mine in case it helps.

More importantly, you don't seem in love with either of them in the setting and it isn't what we've come to know as a Chrono ring. You usually have quite strong opinions about the way you want your stones set, whether or not you let us into it beforehand :cheeky: While I appreciate that we all like different settings for different reasons and I know that you were really excited about getting this setting in it's die struck form, it veers considerably from the sleek style of your "traffic lights" and the lovely pink spinel. Perhaps you were trying for something different this time round and that of course is entirely your prerogative.

What stone do you love in this setting? I don't get the feeling your heart whispered "Yes! That's it" when you put the blue or the lavender in the ring. Is it a case of "I love the ring and I still want it but not with either of those stones" or is it a return after all despite your admiration for it? :(sad

ETA: I guess what I'm trying to say - rather ineffectually it seems - is that both of these gems are outstanding examples of their kind so please don't put one of them in this setting for the sake of either getting something in the setting or being able to wear one of the gems...'cos chances are you'll always choose another ring to wear.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Afterthought....since you have a diamond to fit but would prefer not to go that route how do you feel about a pearl? I could see that in there.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As much as I adore looking at pearls, it's just not for me. It requires a lot of extra care, plus being organic, will only last 2 generations or so whereas a gemstone will last almost forever with care.

I do have a strong opinion about the ring and stones but I am also curious to read how others would decide and why, hence the poll. I love the setting and stones. With the spinels being incredibly small (to me), I don't want to spend too much time and effort on designs for their settings. Since I already have several showstopper rings, I need a few modest looking understated rings for days where I don't want my ring to be noticed and these seem to fit the bill.

Personally, I like strong blue in high karat gold. It's nice that the setting is very open so the blue oval should not darken at all when set. The shape is a little off, I know, but the ring and stone is so small IRL that I doubt anybody will notice. As you know, I like stones with "kepow" yet the cc spinel is somewhat light. Shape wise it fits but is a little too tall to be proportionate to the side stones and overall look of the ring. To amp up colouration, it might be better in rose gold and a slightly less open setting. Its colour changes on a dime so an enclosed setting will not be an issue. Also, being precision cut will help too.

As weird as it sounds, I rarely wear any rings. The last I wore one was a few weeks ago. My active lifestyle puts a damper on wearing honkers so that's why I like to occasionally wear smaller quieter rings.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:appl: :appl: Good answer, Chrono! Good explanation (though none needed really) :appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results