shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue / Pink and Oval / Rectangle for Van Craeynest setting?

Blue Oval or Pink / Lavender Rectangle for this VC setting?

• 1.51 ct Oval cobalt bearing blue spinel

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • 1.36 ct Rectangular cc pink to lavender spinel

Votes: 17 37.0%

• Total voters

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All right folks, I'm going to do this poll the right way now with the setting in hand and only 2 stone choices. :bigsmile: The current basket is not the right shape so the stone does not sit well in it, sometimes tilting or almost falling off, which made photography a challenge. I've enabled the re-voting so that you can change your vote later if you change your mind. I could set my 5 mm round diamond in there but I think it's pretty boring and come on, this is a Coloured Stone forum so that's my absolute last resort. :tongue:

Oval cobalt bearing blue spinel
1.51 ct, 7.2 x 5.6 mm

Rectangular colour changing pink to lavender spinel
1.36 ct, 7.6 x 5.5 mm

Setting is 18k yellow gold, die struck Van Craeynest setting 484, which needs to be resized.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Blue / Pink and Oval / Rectangle for Van Craeynest setti

First, the setting itself. I'm not good with taking pictures which means you'll have to cross your eyes to counteract the blurriness.

empty_vc_0.jpg

vc_profile.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Still sticking with my original vote- cobalt blue spinel! I like the strong contrast between the YG and the strong blue. That combo really appeals to my colour sense.

It will be beautiful whichever way it is set!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enerchi|1348573974|3274193 said:
Still sticking with my original vote- cobalt blue spinel! I like the strong contrast between the YG and the strong blue. That combo really appeals to my colour sense.

It will be beautiful whichever way it is set!

You are certainly confident in your choice. I like your decisiveness!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Blue oval in the setting.

blue_23.jpg

oval_hand.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pink / lavender rectangle in the setting.

pinkish_spinel.jpg

lavender_spinel.jpg

rectangle_hand.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yup!!! blue it is :bigsmile:

(and in real life... I am a MESS when it comes to my own decisions - decisions for other people are a breeze!! :lol: )

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

Duh... the spinel ;-)

But seriously... I :love: love :love: the color change in it. The softness in the color and stone meld beautifully with the buttery gold. And too boot, looks fantastic against your skin.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock

My vote goes for the blue oval also.

I understand why people are saying its a boring safe choice. Well it's safe because that color combination works so well in a lot of things, not only jewelry.

If you wanted to be adventuresome, I think a more pleasing combination than the lavender/gold could be found.

I prefer the lavender with a white metal.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

davi_el_mejor|1348574742|3274199 said:
Duh... the spinel ;-)

But seriously... I :love: love :love: the color change in it. The softness in the color and stone meld beautifully with the buttery gold. And too boot, looks fantastic against your skin.

I totally agree!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You're not going to be happy with me but .............. I wouldn't go with either. They're both too big for the setting and overlap the angular shaped boxes on the shank. You've bought this setting because you love the setting. Why cover it up?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LD|1348577572|3274225 said:
You're not going to be happy with me but .............. I wouldn't go with either. They're both too big for the setting and overlap the angular shaped boxes on the shank. You've bought this setting because you love the setting. Why cover it up?

Speak up as you wish, my feelings are not easily offended and I'd rather read the cold harsh truth than some sublte hints or pansy comments. After reading your comment, I took the rectangular spinel and put it squarely on the setting to see how much it overhangs. There is just a touch of it but I can see the entire side diamonds on both sides. The innermost milgrain closest to the basket is slightly obscured. My estimate is 0.3 mm overhang on each side. It is the same when I tested it with the oval. A slight tilt of my head, and I can see the entire milgrain but straight on, the milgrain is obscured but with full view of the diamonds.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

I agree with Davi about the Luc Yen, the whole combination looks lovely against your skin tone.The width vs. sidestones issue may be slightly exaggerated by macro perspective since the stone is photographed sitting on the pavilion, and perched atop the prongs.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

Although, I will almost always vote for a pastel color- in this case I voted for the cobalt blue as I think it is very striking with the rich gold of the setting.

eta- although either would be beautiful. =)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Blue!
But you know I have a prejudice :razz:

cookies

Brilliant_Rock

LD|1348577572|3274225 said:

Sorry Chrono, I am with LD -- the proportion doesn't look quite right to my eye.

If I had to choose, I would put the blue oval in the large version of that setting, because I like the shape and size of the blue oval a bit more than the rectangle cushion. I am not crazy about the blue + YG combination though.

Otherwise, I'd get what minousbijoux suggested in the other thread -- a small pure red ruby would look wonderful in that 18K yellow gold VC setting!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I prefer my stones to overhang (top and bottom, not side to side) the setting for a slightly top heavy look rather than have the band taper up to be the same size as the stone.

I do have a small cushion red spinel that might fit but I already have 2 red spinel rings and don't want a third.

spinels_and_more.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Between the two, I'd definitely go with the Luc Yen spinel - to my eyes, that spinel and the VC setting just *marry* perfectly - together they make an incredibly beautiful and luxe ring. IMHO, the blue spinel (oh so gorgeous) tends to overpower the VC setting rather than truly complement it

cookies

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono, I love the blue cushion and the green cushion in your last picture. Are they zircon and emerald, respectively?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Hmmm, I LOVE the intense blue with that setting but kind of agree that it overhangs the elements on the side a bit -- could be due to the pic's being 2 dimensional, though. The lavender/pink spinel is to my eye too delicate a color for the strong design of the setting -- which overpowers it & doesn't let its subtle beauty shine through. The mounting needs a well-saturated stone like the blue spinel.

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know the overhang looks pretty bad in the pictures but if you look closely, the stones are not even sitting straight or well balanced on the prongs. In fact, pavilion of the stones are perched precariously atop the prongs, so it makes it look too big for the setting when it actually isn't.

Cookie,
The blue cushion is a Richard Homer concave cut blue zircon and the green cushion is a Swala tsavorite. My emerald is very unphotogenic, and even that is an understatement.

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock

The blue and green in that last picture are :lickout:

I was leaning toward the blue spinel in that setting the entire time, until the pictures with the actual stones in the setting. Now I think both stones look incredibly stunning in that setting, and I have no idea which to choose.

Wasn't that helpful? :cheeky:

You shouldn't have posted the last pictures, and then I could have conclusively voted for the blue!

ETA: After reviewing the pictures again, I prefer the slightly shorter proportions and the oval shape of the blue (in this particular setting) to the pink/ lavender stone. :mrgreen: Vote is for blue!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Blue. I look at the stone first and then the setting. With the Luc Yen, I look at the setting first and then the stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I used to work with this lady who had a beautiful setting like that with a deep blue stone, I assume a sapphire, and it was similar in color/tone to yours. I always would stare at her ring all the time, and not just the stone, but the setting. I wouldn't have stared at it so intensely if it were a lighter toned stone. That color of blue just pops against the warm buttery yellow gold.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If it was only down to those two stones :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I would pick the blue. The richness of the blue is great with the gold. The Luc Yen is a beautiful spinel, but I don't know why, but it seems to lose its subtle beauty in the setting; it almost looks muddier to me in the setting. But I agree with LD, and would love to see other stones that show the setting off to best advantage.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm going to have a talk with the bench to see if I can open up the setting, place a new basket, then put it back together to 100% eliminate any overhang. Happy now? :rolleyes: :lol:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:appl: :appl: :appl:

**in an eeyore voice** Well, all right...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Something's not right with my poll once I do a head count and compare it to the poll results:

Blue (10)
Enerchi, Amelia, PinkJewel, MTG, Cookie, JewelFreak, Chloe, Freke, TL and Minou

Lavender (4)
Davi, Colorluvr, VL and Marymm

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Count me in. For blue.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Okay, I just voted. For blue. Forgot to vote before.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results