shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Paraiba Tourmaline

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
mochi-very nice stones-im a big fan of paraiba tourmalines-enjoy-they or at least one should be put in a pendent-yel gold...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you think about having some of them recut? Like you, I have several windowed cuprians, and I need some recuts. I have one with a pretty color, but it's so badly cut, I want to scream. It should be used for showing hopeful lapidaries how NOT to cut a stone. Here it is sitting on top of my LOGR.

It's a shame with such pretty color, that there's windows.
I'm probably going to enlist Michael E or Dan Stair to cut it. They both will do recuts.

I like your stones.

ugly_cut_in_ring2.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mochi,
The 1.45 does have a sizable window and closing it may entail significant weight loss. If you choose to have it re-cut, do ask the cutter for a conservative estimate of the weight of the finished stone.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!! I am so in love with this color.

TL, I''m on the limb when it comes to re-cutting. I don''t know if I want to give up the size for the cut. Isn''t there a time where the window isn''t that too bad??
6.gif

Wonder if a bezel setting would minimize the window or the yellow gold basket under the would minimize the reflection from the window? There just has to be a way to work with it.
23.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you love the colour enough to live with the window?

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Harriet... I may speak with Dan, but I''m not sure. May be I''ll just keep them in the box for a bit and just bring it out once in a while to "pet" it!
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d hate to see you end up with a wee one. Aren''t pet stones great? You don''t have to feed or water them.
9.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2009 9:09:52 PM
Author: Harriet
I''d hate to see you end up with a wee one. Aren''t pet stones great? You don''t have to feed or water them.
9.gif

You got that right! They really are like pets. You don''t have to clean up after them either.

Hmm...that may explain the mysterious need to give them a name.
11.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha. I have more for you to name if you like.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2009 9:05:27 PM
Author: mochi

TL, I''m on the limb when it comes to re-cutting. I don''t know if I want to give up the size for the cut. Isn''t there a time where the window isn''t that too bad??
6.gif

Wonder if a bezel setting would minimize the window or the yellow gold basket under the would minimize the reflection from the window? There just has to be a way to work with it.
23.gif
My stone is 3.45 carats, but I think that even if I lost a carat, it would look a million times better. Sometimes when you recut a stone, it does wonders. I have seen badly windowed cuprians recut, and even the color gets better! I''m definitely recutting mine.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2009 9:16:15 PM
Haha. I have more for you to name if you like.

Don''t tempt me, woman! *foaming at the mouth*

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
31.gif

Mochi,
Your username made me think of mochi ice-cream. So what did I do? I went looking for it on a cold cold night.
9.gif
Ok, the threadjack's over. Sowee.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!!
22.gif
27.gif
11.gif
3.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2009 9:17:37 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 1/24/2009 9:05:27 PM

6.gif

23.gif
My stone is 3.45 carats, but I think that even if I lost a carat, it would look a million times better. Sometimes when you recut a stone, it does wonders. I have seen badly windowed cuprians recut, and even the color gets better! I''m definitely recutting mine.
I want to diffinitely see how yours turn out. I may do the re-cut on the 1.45ct one. That particular stone has the biggiest window. I will email Dan and see what he has to say about it.

Just so hessitant because I don''t want to end up with a small peanut...
15.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2009 9:19:04 PM
31.gif

Mochi,
Your username made me think of mochi ice-cream. So what did I do? I went looking for it on a cold cold night.
9.gif
Ok, the threadjack''s over. Sowee.
LOL!! I haven''t had one of those in years. Now, I''m wanting one!!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I just won this cuprian tourmaline... Always wanted a EC.

2.78 CT

xxecctourm.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2009 10:43:02 PM

2.78 CT
Cool. Be careful buying cuprians on ebay. There's some talk about them being diffused with copper. Not saying that this one is, but the whole matter is under gemological investigation by the same people that uncovered the andesine scandal. Some gemologists think it's not true and others do not. I don't know enough, so I'm not taking any chances. I have since stopped buying cuprians on ebay unless it's a very reputable seller. I am not buying any from Thai or Chinese sellers.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I have also heard this. This is from a US seller with 100% feedback, good toolhaus, also. The cut is not the best, but the colors are wonderful. I have more or less stopped ordering from Thai/Chianese sellers. It''s such a hit or miss with them, more so a miss.
Date: 1/24/2009 10:55:53 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 1/24/2009 10:43:02 PM

2.78 CT
Cool. Be careful buying cuprians on ebay. There''s some talk about them being diffused with copper. Not saying that this one is, but the whole matter is under gemological investigation by the same people that uncovered the andesine scandal. Some gemologists think it''s not true and others do not. I don''t know enough, so I''m not taking any chances. I have since stopped buying cuprians on ebay unless it''s a very reputable seller. I am not buying any from Thai or Chinese sellers.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Cool stones mochi. I would not mind those as "pets" either.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2009 12:45:10 PM
Purchased a couple more...

Don''t drop them in the pool mochi!
9.gif

Pretty colors!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Just got my EC cuprian tourmaline. I love the color and the inclusions. What do you all think??

SSCN2399.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock

SSCN2397.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
30.gif

SSCN2398.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I think, maybe, I have enough of these...
23.gif

SSCN2400.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochi,
The colour is so intense. Please don''t take this the wrong way but is this thing for real? I just can''t believe someone will be selling such a beautiful paraiba on ebay.
33.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochi - I''m so sorry but I agree with Chrono. I do think you should get that one checked out. It looks more like blue topaz. I do hope I''m wrong.
7.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochi,
I''m not saying that your stone is topaz, but just as an FYI to any prospective ebay buyer out there, there is a lot of "paraiba topaz" being passed off as tourmaline. I only purchase paraiba tourmalines that have an accompanying GIT memo indicating their exact size and that they have copper in them.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YOur stones are so pretty Mochi! I am no expert as far as the EC goes, but I would definately get it checked out.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, LD, TL and CCN: No offense taken at all. When I opened the package and saw the stone, Topaz did cross my mind. It''s very blue, so I am also skeptical about it. But it''s still very pretty. Also the it was pretty cheap, so that also placed a bit of a doubt in my mind. This ebay seller has 100% on his feedback, and his toolhaus has no negatives written about him, but this particular stone looks so blue like you all mentioned.

I will take it into my jeweller to get him to look at it. I think I''m going to get it in a ring setting because I love the intense blue. I''ll try to get pictures of it in the sunlight tomorrow.

Thanks everyone. I really do like the inputs from all of you and your honesty. It is appreciated!!
36.gif
36.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Couple of outside shots. It really is very blue..

SSCN2461.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results