shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue nile?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

varshini

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I''m a canadian, and I was looking into bluenile.ca has anyone bought anything from them? Please let me know. HOw is there craftmenship, and their certificates.
Thanks,
V

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi varshini,

Yes, people have bought from them, some happily, although I can't name anyone specifically.

What I've found from perusing their site is:

1. They're a bit more expensive than other vendors
2. They don't give any info on any stone besides the cert
3. Because of #2, I wouldn't go with anything but their Signature Collection with an AGS cert. That would be the absolute safest route.
4. No upgrade policy I believe
5, You have to buy the stone and setting both from them

However, if you search on here, you'll find there are many choices as far as reputable vendors.

HTH!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 1:01:38 PM
Author: Ellen

5, You have to buy the stone and setting both from them

I agree with Ellen. Just to clarify #5. You can buy just the stone from them but you cannot buy just their settings.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks mrrs., I didn''t realize!

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
We've bought a lot of things from them and have been very happy. I've never seen cheaper prices for any item I've bought for them, and I'm always out to get the best deal.

For their signature collection, they do include a GCAL report with a pic you can see online. For me, I thought the best way to evaluate a stone was in person, a picture wasn't going to do much, so not having a picture wasn't a big deal. I've never bought a loose stone or a build-your-own piece from them, but I absolutely would.

Added: I'm talking about my experiences with bluenile USA. I don't have experience with their CA branch, but I can't imagine it would be too different.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 1:32:05 PM
Author: colorkitty
We''ve bought a lot of things from them and have been very happy. I''ve never seen cheaper prices for any item I''ve bought for them, and I''m always out to get the best deal.

For their signature collection, they do include a GCAL report with a pic you can see online. For me, I thought the best way to evaluate a stone was in person, a picture wasn''t going to do much, so not having a picture wasn''t a big deal. I''ve never bought a loose stone or a build-your-own piece from them, but I absolutely would.

Added: I''m talking about my experiences with bluenile USA. I don''t have experience with their CA branch, but I can''t imagine it would be too different.
This is the closest I could come to comparing apples with apples. I have found this to be the norm, with ocassionally finding them (BN) cheaper than other people, but it''s rare.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00332183&filter_id=0

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-59454.htm

varshini

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your help. But the thing is I''m not looking for a 10000$diamond, so every thing on whiteflash.com is tooo expense plus taking it over to canada. I need to find an online dealer who will give me a round diamond .6-.8 ish for 4000 cnd including a pave setting. And so far blue nile seems to match

bronniejade

Shiny_Rock
My sister and her fiance ordered her ring from Blue Nile. We live in Ontario, Canada.

Her ring is absolutely gorgeous, and she and her fiance said that their serice was very helpful.

I don''t know if this helps you at all. Just thought I''d throw this in the mix!

emsmile.gif

ezwinner701

Rough_Rock
Ellen, I think you are giving WF a little too much credit and not enough to Bluenlie. Although this diamond is sold.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00280280&filter_id=0#grading_report

I haven''t found ANYTHING close from WF, GOG or JA that has the AGS 000.

Please correct me if i''m wrong.

Date: 2/2/2007 1:59:53 PM

Date: 2/2/2007 1:32:05 PM
We''ve bought a lot of things from them and have been very happy. I''ve never seen cheaper prices for any item I''ve bought for them, and I''m always out to get the best deal.

For their signature collection, they do include a GCAL report with a pic you can see online. For me, I thought the best way to evaluate a stone was in person, a picture wasn''t going to do much, so not having a picture wasn''t a big deal. I''ve never bought a loose stone or a build-your-own piece from them, but I absolutely would.

Added: I''m talking about my experiences with bluenile USA. I don''t have experience with their CA branch, but I can''t imagine it would be too different.
This is the closest I could come to comparing apples with apples. I have found this to be the norm, with ocassionally finding them (BN) cheaper than other people, but it''s rare.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00332183&filter_id=0

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-59454.htm

varshini

Rough_Rock
Thanks, but its still a bit more then the one at blue nile after the canadian conversion.
Here is one that i found,
band-800$
Diamond :.72crt
Stock number: LD00160073
Price: $2,079 USD
Bank wire price: $2,048 USD
Carat weight: 0.72
Cut: Ideal
Colour: G
Clarity: SI2
Depth %: 62.1%
Table %: 54%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.77 x 5.82 x 3.60 mm

Comes wiht GIA certificate

DM15400600_RD_75_200zoom.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well the WF stone is a G VS2 so it's going to cost a bit more than the SI2 from Bluenile. I also like the numbers on the WF stone a bit better but Plently of folks have had wonderful experiences with bluenile. if that's what you feel comfortable with then I think that's wonderful. Do make sure the SI2 is an eyeclean stone. Bluenile has a excellent return policy if you're not completely satified.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I purchased from Blue Nile (US) recently. In general I have to agree that I found them to be pricey. I kept checking though (along with all the other usual sites) just because there were slim pickins for what we were looking for. I think in general their prices vary in different size ranges, so that is why some people report better prices, some worse. I found their customer service to be adequate. Nothing to rave about, but not bad. I would have preferred to puchase from a more well known vendor here (just so they could give an opinion before purchase along with pics, IS, etc), but I contacted GOG and they were unable to get the stone.

I bought an AGS stone - purchased stone only, no setting. It had cherry specs, but they were unable to provide IS images or pics which made me nervous - the good thing about AGS is they can do light performance testing, and their #s are not rounded like GIAs, so you can take the #s a bit more literally buying completely sight unseen and without the aid of surrogate eyes that you trust. They did hold it (for free) while they called the supplier for me to make sure it was eyeclean and with no negative effects from fluoro. Finally had to purchase it as I had run out of questions to ask and given the slim to nonexistent selection out there, had to at least eyeball it. Had it sent to Richard Sherwood for his appraisal and thorough evaluation, and he really loved the stone (he is a great guy by the way). It was a chance I took though, only because I wasn''t seeing any other interesting stones.

Benefit of purchasing from one of the more usual PS vendors is that they CAN get IS images/pics for you ahead of time (WF, GOG, JA, and Wink too I think), and can give you their opinion on the stone (just piece of mind knowing it is someone I would trust their opinion), instead of calling the vendor for you and acting as an intermediary. This potentially could save $$$ (shipping costs, wire costs, etc) if it ended up being one that needed returning. BN does have a nice long return period. They do not have upgrades if that is something you think you will need. I did not like many of their settings. they only have one setting with six prongs (same setting comes in wg and plat). That was a bit of a bother to me. They also do not have very many pics of their settings to get an idea of exactly how they look. I asked who makes their 6 prong setting (hoping to go to that vendors website to see more pics), but they will not reveal the maker.

As an aside, after purchasing a loose stone, they did follow up with another email offering to pay shipping one way back if we wanted to purchase a setting from them. However when I considered it, they told me it would take a couple of weeks for them to just set it once you return it to them - I know if you purchase the whole thing at the same time it only takes an extra day or two at that time - I guess the priority to set stones lies with the people whose $ they don''t already have firmly in hand!!

ezwinner701

Rough_Rock
I think you nailed it on the head. I can''t agree with you more. I was seriously considering the stone above, and asked the rep to ask the vendor to get an IS image, and they do have it but wouldn''t show me. It just doesn''t make any sense. She said they only offer it on the signiture ideal line. It just doesn''t make any sense at all because if I do end up buying it and not liking it, I''d return it anyway. I don''t understand their logic. Customer service is nice and cordial but nothing to rave about. The one thing I like best is their 30 day return policy, compared to the 10 days for WF which is a bit short, but WF does a much better job representing the diamond with ALOT more info available. They have be more expensive with some stones, but with the one above, as of now i could not find anything comparable from the other PS vendors.

Date: 2/2/2007 3:59:48 PM
Author: :)
I purchased from Blue Nile (US) recently. In general I have to agree that I found them to be pricey. I kept checking though (along with all the other usual sites) just because there were slim pickins for what we were looking for. I think in general their prices vary in different size ranges, so that is why some people report better prices, some worse. I found their customer service to be adequate. Nothing to rave about, but not bad. I would have preferred to puchase from a more well known vendor here (just so they could give an opinion before purchase along with pics, IS, etc), but I contacted GOG and they were unable to get the stone.

I bought an AGS stone - purchased stone only, no setting. It had cherry specs, but they were unable to provide IS images or pics which made me nervous - the good thing about AGS is they can do light performance testing, and their #s are not rounded like GIAs, so you can take the #s a bit more literally buying completely sight unseen and without the aid of surrogate eyes that you trust. They did hold it (for free) while they called the supplier for me to make sure it was eyeclean and with no negative effects from fluoro. Finally had to purchase it as I had run out of questions to ask and given the slim to nonexistent selection out there, had to at least eyeball it. Had it sent to Richard Sherwood for his appraisal and thorough evaluation, and he really loved the stone (he is a great guy by the way). It was a chance I took though, only because I wasn''t seeing any other interesting stones.

Benefit of purchasing from one of the more usual PS vendors is that they CAN get IS images/pics for you ahead of time (WF, GOG, JA, and Wink too I think), and can give you their opinion on the stone (just piece of mind knowing it is someone I would trust their opinion), instead of calling the vendor for you and acting as an intermediary. This potentially could save $$$ (shipping costs, wire costs, etc) if it ended up being one that needed returning. BN does have a nice long return period. They do not have upgrades if that is something you think you will need. I did not like many of their settings. they only have one setting with six prongs (same setting comes in wg and plat). That was a bit of a bother to me. They also do not have very many pics of their settings to get an idea of exactly how they look. I asked who makes their 6 prong setting (hoping to go to that vendors website to see more pics), but they will not reveal the maker.

As an aside, after purchasing a loose stone, they did follow up with another email offering to pay shipping one way back if we wanted to purchase a setting from them. However when I considered it, they told me it would take a couple of weeks for them to just set it once you return it to them - I know if you purchase the whole thing at the same time it only takes an extra day or two at that time - I guess the priority to set stones lies with the people whose $ they don''t already have firmly in hand!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I bought two small (.42 and .43 ct) diamonds from Blue Nile US last month. They had GIA certs, which I felt was sufficient for stones this small. The diamonds arrived exactly when Blue Nile said they would, and the diamonds matched the certs (the girdles are inscribed with the GIA cert number). The Blue Nile prices were considerably better than the other vendors for the small stones I was looking for, but I noticed that about two weeks later, stones of this size had gone up in price. I think I was lucky and hit a lag right before a price increase.

I did not purchase the settings for my earrings because Blue Nile did not have exactly what I wanted, and I felt that the price they quoted me for custom work was too high. So I just got the loose stones and had them set locally for about half the price that Blue Nile quoted for setting.

In the end, I found Blue Nile to be a reputable firm, and I am pleased with my purchase of the loose diamonds. They are very beautiful diamonds!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 3:28:41 PM
Author: ezwinner701
Ellen, I think you are giving WF a little too much credit and not enough to Bluenlie. Although this diamond is sold.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00280280&filter_id=0#grading_report

ez, first, let me say I only used WF because it was easier, all their ACA''s are AGS000, and there are more of those at BN. What "credit" am I supposedly giving them?
33.gif

Second, I''m not exactly sure what it is you''re saying here. While WF doesn''t have any ACA stone that size (like the one you posted) with those stats, if they did it would be an AGS000. I''m just not sure what you''re getting at.

And lastly, regardless of anything else, I think my post legitimately portrayed my point to colorkitty that BN was more on the stone, because it was.

Can you elaborate?

ezwinner701

Rough_Rock
Sorry, Ellen. English is my 2nd language so I may not be able to articulate myself as well as others. Please accept my apologizes on that to everyone if I come off as too blunt.

What I was trying to say is that for the stone that I posted the link for. F/vs2 2.13RB AGS 000. There are no other PS vendors that have anything like that in that price range. some of them don''t even have that price range for GIA triple EX stone that size as well so Bluenile for THAT stone doesn''t seem to be overpriced.

Date: 2/2/2007 5:21:18 PM

Date: 2/2/2007 3:28:41 PM

ez, first, let me say I only used WF because it was easier, all their ACA''s are AGS000, and there are more of those at BN. What ''credit'' am I supposedly giving them?
33.gif

Second, I''m not exactly sure what it is you''re saying here. While WF doesn''t have any ACA stone that size (like the one you posted) with those stats, if they did it would be an AGS000. I''m just not sure what you''re getting at.

And lastly, regardless of anything else, I think my post legitimately portrayed my point to colorkitty that BN was more on the stone, because it was.

Can you elaborate?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 5:27:04 PM
Sorry, Ellen. English is my 2nd language so I may not be able to articulate myself as well as others. Please accept my apologizes on that to everyone if I come off as too blunt.

What I was trying to say is that for the stone that I posted the link for. F/vs2 2.13RB AGS 000. There are no other PS vendors that have anything like that in that price range. some of them don''t even have that price range for GIA triple EX stone that size as well so Bluenile for THAT stone doesn''t seem to be overpriced.
No need to apologize, I didn''t think you were being blunt, I just didn''t understand what you were saying.
1.gif

Now, if I''ve got it right, I DO understand what you''re saying. No, at the moment, there are no other stones in that size with those specs graded by AGS in any other inventory. So, of course that isn''t a bad price, we have nothing to compare it to.
9.gif

If we did though, I doubt there would be much difference, one way or the other. And as I said in my original post, ocassionally BN does have the better price. But it''s so infrequent, that I don''t look there much when trying to help a poster.
2.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 5:38:32 PM

Date: 2/2/2007 5:27:04 PM

No need to apologize, I didn''t think you were being blunt, I just didn''t understand what you were saying.
1.gif

Now, if I''ve got it right, I DO understand what you''re saying. No, at the moment, there are no other stones in that size with those specs graded by AGS in any other inventory. So, of course that isn''t a bad price, we have nothing to compare it to.
9.gif

If we did though, I doubt there would be much difference, one way or the other. And as I said in my original post, ocassionally BN does have the better price. But it''s so infrequent, that I don''t look there much when trying to help a poster.
2.gif
ageed ellen. i did a search for the same specs. there are only gia graded diamonds available with those exact specs (f/vs) but they are all around 1k less.
i have found the same thing, for the most part, bn prices are higher. are there exceptions? probably..but they are very infrequent.

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
All I know is when I considered a round 3-stone ring, it was more for the setting at WF, more for the center diamond, more for the sidestones, and lower color quality. I wanted to go with one of the vendors PS gets excited about, but it was never, ever cheaper. It could be different because I was looking for smaller stones, or because I had no problem with a GIA stone if it scored well on the HCA, esp. if it was H&A.

I know there''s a lot of WF love around here. Just want to spread some BN love, too!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
colorkitty, I''m not bashing BN. And I said there have been happy customers. All I said was, I have found in searching that they''re higher for the most part. Evidently belle has too.

Maybe it''s really hit and miss, or like you said, certain size stones, don''t know.

But I''m glad you had good luck with them!

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Varshini,
That looks like a very pretty ring. I have bought loose diamonds from Blue Nile before but I limited my searches to AGS0 stones only. I can''t comment on the craftsmanship of the rings because I haven''t bought one from them, but like Mrs S said make sure the SI2 it is eye clean to you. Your diamond is coming with a GIA certificate which is well respected. Good luck!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 7:34:22 PM
All I know is when I considered a round 3-stone ring, it was more for the setting at WF, more for the center diamond, more for the sidestones, and lower color quality. I wanted to go with one of the vendors PS gets excited about, but it was never, ever cheaper. It could be different because I was looking for smaller stones, or because I had no problem with a GIA stone if it scored well on the HCA, esp. if it was H&A.

I know there''s a lot of WF love around here. Just want to spread some BN love, too!
I was working with WF when I found my stone..... at BN. Unfortunately WF cannot source the stones that BN lists.

The ONLY problem I''ve had with my BN purchase is that I always had this nagging concern that maybe my stone really sucked because I didn''t get some PS Vendor stamp of validation. Now, I''ve taken my stone around and I know its a great stone and I love it and it''s gorgeous and I got it for a total *steal* of a price IMO - waaaaay less than the stones WF was suggesting to me - or rather just way bigger LOL - anyway.... I don''t regret my choice but that insecure part of me would have loved to have been told by someone else - an expert - hey, this is a great stone! Of course they would have charged me another 5k for the honor... haha I think rounds are easy to get about anywhere.... as long as they have them and you have access to the info on them. At least easy compared to other types of stones. With cushions I''ve found BN to be just as good as WF because WF hasn''t really made it their niche to deal in that shape. YET ;-)

MarquiseLady

Rough_Rock
I am fairly new to all of this ... but let me say something I know a little bit about. My dear husband recently purchased (for our 15th wedding anniversary) a beautifull ring for me from Blue Nile here in the US. I am VERY VERY happy with my ring, it''s absoutly georgiouos and I wouldn''t trade it for anything in the world. It''s absoutly beautiful. We are very very pleased with the company 110%. Very nice to deal with etc. etc. My husband does tons of research when he decides to purchase anything, and I mean tons, meaning days. He was very impressed with the company and their service. We highly recommend them. I don''t think you will be disappointed.

kathleen

Rough_Rock
Cehrabehra-

That''s the EXACT problem I''m having. WF and GOG don''t seem to have exactly what I''m looking for right now. BN does. But, like you, I want to get it from a vendor that all the PS''ers love. I''m struggling with this!!
20.gif
I think I may just order the stone from BN, and maybe when I see it my doubts will be gone!! I hope!!

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 9:04:00 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
I was working with WF when I found my stone..... at BN. Unfortunately WF cannot source the stones that BN lists.

The ONLY problem I''ve had with my BN purchase is that I always had this nagging concern that maybe my stone really sucked because I didn''t get some PS Vendor stamp of validation. Now, I''ve taken my stone around and I know its a great stone and I love it and it''s gorgeous and I got it for a total *steal* of a price IMO - waaaaay less than the stones WF was suggesting to me - or rather just way bigger LOL - anyway.... I don''t regret my choice but that insecure part of me would have loved to have been told by someone else - an expert - hey, this is a great stone! Of course they would have charged me another 5k for the honor... haha I think rounds are easy to get about anywhere.... as long as they have them and you have access to the info on them. At least easy compared to other types of stones. With cushions I''ve found BN to be just as good as WF because WF hasn''t really made it their niche to deal in that shape. YET ;-)
ROFL! That was my problem too! I had to send it to Richard Sherwood for piece of mind! I made it really clear that I would send it back in a heartbeat if there was the slightest thing wrong with it! I was SO SURE there was going to be something wrong that I couldn''t see - it seemed too good to be true! I was actually shocked when he said that he really loved it!

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 9:26:53 PM
Author: kathleen
Cehrabehra-

That''s the EXACT problem I''m having. WF and GOG don''t seem to have exactly what I''m looking for right now. BN does. But, like you, I want to get it from a vendor that all the PS''ers love. I''m struggling with this!!
20.gif
I think I may just order the stone from BN, and maybe when I see it my doubts will be gone!! I hope!!
Kathleen, if this is your problem, do what I did and send it to Richard Sherwood for an appraisal! He will analyze your stone every which way to Sunday and let you know - it will either confirm your worst fears, or let you know you found a super winner!

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
I'll add my experiences from both companies, as I've dealt with both in the past month.

My BN experience was wonderful, I got an beautiful 0.55ct H VS2, GIA excellent cut for a very good price, in a setting that I am thrilled with. According to the Holloway Cut Adviser, it rates a 0.9, and that is very apparent. It's full of fire! The buying experience was very easy, even though I changed my stone the day after I placed my order. BN was extremely flexible and helpful.

I'm waiting on the arrival of a .808 H VVS1 ACA H&A from WF (and before anyone asks, NO, I didn't choose it because it's a VVS1, LOL. I was searching the VS2s and this came up by accident, but it turned out to be exactly what I was looking for in all other respects so the clarity rating was just icing on the cake). This buying experience was a little more...challenging. I made a few changes, mainly to the setting, because of misinformation. But overall, everything went just fine. I think I was a little more nervous because I was spending quite a lot more on this stone. Anyway, the Holloway Cut Adviser rates this stone a 1.5. I was pretty surprised that the BN stone rated better, but I'm cool with it. :))

So which did I prefer? Neither, really, or I could say both. I'm thrilled with my 0.55 stone, because it's a very late ering and because of that, it's close to my heart. The other is a RHR that I see more as a work of art that I wanted to own. Anyway, both companies are extremely professional and my experiences with both have been very positive. HOWEVER: If my daughter were getting engaged and her BF was on a budget, I would send them to BN first. If they had a little more $$ to play with, I'd send them to WF.

Just my own personal opinion from my personal experiences with both companies. :)

Edit: sorry, typo. My BN stone is a .9 on the HCA.

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 9:35:38 PM
Author: ebonykawai
I''ll add my experiences from both companies, as I''ve dealt with both in the past month.

My BN experience was wonderful, I got an beautiful 0.55ct H VS2, GIA excellent cut for a very good price, in a setting that I am thrilled with. According to the Holloway Cut Adviser, it rates a 0.5, and that is very apparent. It''s full of fire! The buying experience was very easy, even though I changed my stone the day after I placed my order. BN was extremely flexible and helpful.

I''m waiting on the arrival of a .808 H VVS1 ACA H&A from WF (and before anyone asks, NO, I didn''t choose it because it''s a VVS1, LOL. I was searching the VS2s and this came up by accident, but it turned out to be exactly what I was looking for in all other respects so the clarity rating was just icing on the cake). This buying experience was a little more...challenging. I made a few changes, mainly to the setting, because of misinformation. But overall, everything went just fine. I think I was a little more nervous because I was spending quite a lot more on this stone. Anyway, the Holloway Cut Adviser rates this stone a 1.5. I was pretty surprised that the BN stone rated better, but I''m cool with it. :))

So which did I prefer? Neither, really, or I could say both. I''m thrilled with my 0.55 stone, because it''s a very late ering and because of that, it''s close to my heart. The other is a RHR that I see more as a work of art that I wanted to own. Anyway, both companies are extremely professional and my experiences with both have been very positive. HOWEVER: If my daughter were getting engaged and her BF was on a budget, I would send them to BN first. If they had a little more $$ to play with, I''d send them to WF.

Just my own personal opinion from my personal experiences with both companies. :)
Ebonykawai, just to clarify for you, the Holloway does not ''rate'' stones as one better than the other - it is used to discard poor performers. Generally a score less than 2 is what you are looking for. Actually most will tell you that they prefer stones with a 1-2 as opposed to 1.>

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results