shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Green Tourmaline

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would really appreciate some feedback on this blue-green tourmaline. Stats are 3.74ct, 8x8x7.

tourm1.jpg
tourm2.jpg
tourm3.jpg

It seems pretty deep to me, but I have zero gemstone experience. In diamonds this would be waaaaaay too deep and a hard pass, haha.

My main draw here is the color, shape, and size I need for the project I'm kicking around. In a perfect world I would love a precision cut tourm, but that may not be within budget at this size and color. All thoughts welcome, and I won't be offended if you say, "Lady, what are you thinking??" :lol:

ExoticGems

Rough_Rock
This tourmaline is for sure overly deep also It is probably very dark in person with little color unless the lighting is ideal.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd pass on this. Way too bottom heavy and faces up really small.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is really dark. I’d pass. Even a much smaller stone can be a much brighter one if it’s precision cut.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Definitely will pass. I felt it was too deep and I appreciate everyone chiming in to confirm that. After watching the vid several times I also realized it’s pulling more yellow undertone than I am wanting. Definitely wanting to stay on the bluer end of the spectrum.

I love this stone but it is waaaaaaay over my budget and slightly larger than I’m wanting: https://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=10653

I’d like to be somewhere between 7 and 8.5mm square. But honestly? If it were in budget I would get it and figure out a way to deal with the size issue.

So tell me, am I barking up the right tree with this second stone? The proportions seem better to me, the cut seems better, and while totally my own criteria, the color is better. I don’t mind these inclusions, but will absolutely avoid striations as I don’t like that look.

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hmmm. The first stone seems pretty dark, and it is cut with steep "end" facets due to it being a closed c axis tourmaline, so it would take a special setting. The Litnon stone looks better and should definitely be lighter. Whether it is what you're after is something that I don't think any of us could tell you, since color is such a personal thing. You mention this one being way over your budget. Do you mind sharing what you're wanting to spend? Blue and blue-green tourmalines can get pretty pricy, particularly for brighter colors.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You mention this one being way over your budget. Do you mind sharing what you're wanting to spend? Blue and blue-green tourmalines can get pretty pricy, particularly for brighter colors.
So I'd like to stay in the $300-$400 range, but I also don't know how realistic that expectation is. I'm willing to stretch that budget, but not all the way to $900.

I came across two other stones that have piqued my interest, but are still a budget stretch.

1. 1.71ct https://www.etsy.com/listing/485313441/171ct-square-cushion-cut-blue-green?ref=hp_rf
Video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BYWOzH1Hd0A/
Seller said that the listing photos were taken in outdoor, indirect light and the video was taken in office lighting. I feel like the color dies a bit in the video. Maybe this isn't such a horrible thing as the stone may appear darker when set?

2. 2.68ct https://www.etsy.com/listing/495224969/tourmaline-268-ct-bluegreen-teal-tone-8?ref=hp_rf
I requested a video from the seller but have not yet heard back.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Trust me there is way better stuff out there and you should keep looking unless you are in a major hurry. Blue greens can be incredibly special. I waited six months for the one I’m attaching here. There C4B6E011-B714-447D-9D3A-A606EEAF5F07.png will be a decently supply. I’d suggest looking at common PS vendors and LT regularly and giving it time.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Trust me there is way better stuff out there and you should keep looking unless you are in a major hurry. Blue greens can be incredibly special. I waited six months for the one I’m attaching here. There C4B6E011-B714-447D-9D3A-A606EEAF5F07.png will be a decently supply. I’d suggest looking at common PS vendors and LT regularly and giving it time.

Maybe it's this picture but this stone looks straight green, I'm not seeing the blue?

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That stone is beautiful, but not at all the color I’m looking for. I am not in a major hurry and am able to take my time with this project, though I am curious as to why you think I should pass on both of these stones? The color is what I am looking for and (admittedly to my untrained eye) the cuts seem lovely. Are they overpriced? Or do I need to adjust my budget?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I'd like to stay in the $300-$400 range, but I also don't know how realistic that expectation is. I'm willing to stretch that budget, but not all the way to $900.

I came across two other stones that have piqued my interest, but are still a budget stretch.

1. 1.71ct https://www.etsy.com/listing/485313441/171ct-square-cushion-cut-blue-green?ref=hp_rf
Video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BYWOzH1Hd0A/
Seller said that the listing photos were taken in outdoor, indirect light and the video was taken in office lighting. I feel like the color dies a bit in the video. Maybe this isn't such a horrible thing as the stone may appear darker when set?

2. 2.68ct https://www.etsy.com/listing/495224969/tourmaline-268-ct-bluegreen-teal-tone-8?ref=hp_rf
I requested a video from the seller but have not yet heard back.

My worthless opinion. First stone is medium dark tone with not a very strong saturation. It's also much closer to the greener spectrum then blue. I can see a little grey.

Second one, the tone is very dark. Too dark.

Both stones probably a bit overpriced for what they are. But if everyone starts paying these prices it will very fast become the norm. First stone you're paying more for the precision cutting.

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That stone is beautiful, but not at all the color I’m looking for. I am not in a major hurry and am able to take my time with this project, though I am curious as to why you think I should pass on both of these stones? The color is what I am looking for and (admittedly to my untrained eye) the cuts seem lovely. Are they overpriced? Or do I need to adjust my budget?

Well I was just trying to show you how bright a blue green well cut stone can be. That picture is taken in low light. I feel the stones you have chosen are medium to dark. But it is a personal call. I personally like very bright stones but not every one does. Colour wise as I have a few that I may prefer but you may not. There is a green thread which has many tourmalines you may find helpful as a reference point.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-green-thread.186979/

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is the color I am after:

tourm4.jpg

Gemobsessed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is the color I am after:

tourm4.jpg

Hi, thank you for sharing. You are looking for a dark but well saturated stone. For sure you can find it easily in your budget of 300-400. Please don’t give up the search!! You can also check out the vendor list, loupe Troop, preloved jewels section and diamond bistro.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi, thank you for sharing. You are looking for a dark but well saturated stone. For sure you can find it easily in your budget of 300-400. Please don’t give up the search!! You can also check out the vendor list, loupe Troop, preloved jewels section and diamond bistro.
Thank you for the confidence boost that this is attainable! :D

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, thank you! There are two great options on there and I have sent an inquiry for both. :)
I hope one of the options will work for you :). If he sends you more pictures of the options, I would love to see them. I think his stones typically look closer in person to the color in the photos on his site rather than the video.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I hope one of the options will work for you :). If he sends you more pictures of the options, I would love to see them. I think his stones typically look closer in person to the color in the photos on his site rather than the video.
That's great to know, thank you. He replied to say he would take a few more shots for me today, and I have one of the stones reserved. Excited! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results