carat
color
clarity

Blue Green Tourmaline need opinions

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi guys

So I've seen this tourmaline for sale on LT and have been trying to send an email to the seller via LT but it's not working!!! Anyway, whilst I persevere what do people think of this stone?

I think it's gorgeous but would like the experts opinions. I know there are more teal ones (which I would love) but I'm always restricted by budget.... so whilst I dream about a lagoon blue green tourmaline for one day in the future, what about this one?

Eta, oh I can't find it anymore????

screenshot_2016-09-22-13-31-16-1.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The LT contact system can be flaky. If the seller is a PSer, you can try flagging her on PS (usually in the Preloved section, where it is also posted) or there might be a similar posting on Diamond Bistro.

S

SparkliesLuver

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oooh sparklies thank you thank you thank you that colour is delicious!!!!!

Ah I see Chrono thank you I'll try that. What do you think of it anyway, I love the fact that it's all ready made in a ring already :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmalines are notorious shifters. Have you seen other pictures of it under different lighting?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There were two other pictures up in different lighting and they looked bright and green like this pic but this is the only one I saved and I can't seem to find the listing anymore. In one of the other pictures it definetly looked more distinctly blue. Eta not blue blue but blue flashes rather then the yellowey ones as seen on this pic.

I am wondering a bit if this is more a green tourmaline rather then blue green as stated?

S

SparkliesLuver

From memory, when I saw the listing, I would have called it a green tourmaline with a hint of blue.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you sparklies it helps! I am so drawn to this green though... maybe I need a green tourm *as well as* a blue green one... :think:

For a green tormaline, is this considered ok? Doesn't seem overly dark to me, no window and a hint of blue is always good right. Plus is it just me but I've done a quick search for green tourmaline and haven't found anything as vibrant as this one seems? The ones I'm coming across seem to be darkish *flat* green colour if that makes sense

S

SparkliesLuver

It doesn't seem too dark from that picture, and a hint of blue is typically a good thing. Yep, it does make sense. Nice greens and green-blues (and blue-greens) typically go fast.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you looking specifically for something thats ring- friendly?

I was on a kick for a while looking at similar color ranges, but more in the context of pendants. Though, I eventually talked myself out of that for the time being. I think I need to see more open vs closed examples in real life..

But anyhow, here's a couple nice ones I had found. So much of the lower priced pieces are either darker or not totally clean. The ring you posted looks nice and clean, and fairly open.

12.4 x 5, 2.75 ct
https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...egreen_Tourmaline_2_75_ct_-Gem.php?FromPage=1

6.27 x 6.12, 1.28 ct
https://www.etsy.com/listing/217487382/128ct-green-tourmaline-cushion?ref=shop_home_active_75

11.5 x 5.5, 2.14 ct
http://www.spectralgems.net/tourmaline/tourmalineblueemcut2_14ct_2357/

There have also been some nice pieces lately from some of the FB sellers

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I'm the original owner so I can answer a few questions. Yes, it's a bluish green tourmaline, Green dominant with blue secondary tone.
It's definitely not yellowish green. Stone is very clean and precision cut. It's a deep saturated color but not deep to the level that looks dull. It's very lively. Very nice color for a tourmaline overall. If you are looking for a bright blue tourmaline that is close to a Paraiba this is not it. It looks closer to an emerald on some level. Current owner's photo is quite accurate.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG OTL you're the original owner?!!! Amazing! So my email has finally gone through so here's me hoping it's still for sale!

I think I really love that it's all ready and there, in roughly my size ready for me to wear. No buying a stone I love but have to agonisingly wait months to save up and set! I definetly need NEED a blue green/teal tourmaline though...

Chroman thank you for sharing your links I really appreciate it! I wasn't really looking for anything in particular but I have the buying itch (as evident in all my recent threads lol) and came across the above. I really hope it's still for sale :errrr:

OTL as far as I remember the current seller made no mention of treatments and the description also said it's a 2. Something caret stone. Do you by any chance remember if it has any treatment and what size/dimensions it is?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately I don't :(( ...I vaguely remember it's a 7.1 or 7.2mm stone.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh that's okay don't worry I've sent the seller an email so hoping she will be able to tell me more. Do you remember if it was treated at all?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I like the loupe troop one, best of luck redspinel!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a very pretty stone. However, if you are not totally happy with it- that the color is not teal or more blue, before you buy it are you really going to be satisfied? Can you wait a bit more, have some PS folk or others look for a stone for you, save a bit more and get the stone and setting you will really,really fall in love with?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recall seeing it on LT and considered it until I saw the small ring size :(sad . Generally speaking, I don't consider myself a green person; however, I do love green gemstones with a strong blue modifier and have several.

A good size green tourmaline that has a blue modifier, no yellow, bright and not too dark/flat, precision cut and not an elongated shape (most are) is a great find imo. I would definitely consider it to fill the green spot in a collection. Hopefully it comes through for you and can't wait to see more pictures.

(Like you, I am still yearning for a a larger bright "lagoon" blue tourmaline (we really might be twins). I have them as side stones with my OEC diamond and they are easily among my top 5 favorite stones in terms of color. But they are harder to find and much more expensive.)

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lilmosun we are definetly twins :lol:

I am so hoping it's still for sale because I really want it now... I just hope it hasn't been heat treated.. (or have any form of treatment). This stone, and entire ring design kinda reminds me of simersoo (I know I have *completely* spelled that wrong sorry for being to lazy to look it up :shifty: ) afghan blue green precision gem stone (younger sister to acinom's one and someone else here that brought from the same rough).

Also at 7mm, is that a good size? I know I have to be *very* careful with it scratching or chipping, (point driven home by TL) but if it ever needed repolishing in the future would it get much much smaller? Like lose a whole mm?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Size is a personal preference. Before I joined PS, everything had to be big. As I learned more about color/cut, those qualities trumped size. Now I am somewhere in the middle with 7-8mm being my sweet spot.

How much gets lost in repolishing depends on the type, location and size of the damage you are trying to polish out. Minor abrasion on the table/crown probably isn't a big deal...chips and abrasions on the girdle will more likely affect the face size. Hopefully someone who knows more than I do can speak to this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results