shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Black Opal & Diamonds in Ballerina Setting

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This was my husband’s belated Christmas gift to me. I told him I didn’t “want anything in particular” for the holiday and he interpreted it as “I don’t want anything.” Needless to say, once he realized his mistake, he asked me to find a piece of jewelry as my present :D

I have long admired the pieces on Lang’s website, but have never purchased. When I saw this listed, it was love at first sight:

IMG_3203.jpeg
IMG_3204.jpeg

I reached out for more information and Tracey at Lang couldn’t have been more helpful, sending me photos/videos and placing the item on a courtesy hold. I know nothing about opals, so did a deep dive on the web/PS re: black opals, Lightening Ridge, etc.

After receiving the photos & videos, and Tracey stating that it would be worthwhile to see it in person (and informing me of Lang’s very generous return policy), I went ahead and ordered it.
IMG_3232.jpeg

Needless to say, it’s a keeper! I’ve only had opals in earrings and they are white opals with very subtle colors:
I had some very old earrings in my jewelry box and asked David Klass to reset them into convertible earrings. Not “top grade” gems, but they’re gifts from family with sentimental value. I asked DK if they were even worth resetting and he replied with a CAD ;-)

He bezeled the studs and created removable opal drops in 14k WG.

Here was the initial concept. I asked him to change it up to make the drops more “dangly”/have more movement.
71FCEB7A-DEEA-484E-AF29-F2334E4E2B2E.jpeg

DK’s images, which kind of wash out the very light opals.
78AE112F-1632-4A88-B782-C0F2AEBC2545.jpeg

Before & after (in sunlight)
3F450C64-FC52-4FB6-A4AF-6865D2F07364.jpeg

Ear pics + under artificial light:
057E000D-652D-4FBB-9A02-E9512520F54F.jpeg

This opal’s colors are so vibrant and the ballerina setting is well-executed. I was afraid it would be too big (haha, is there such a thing on PS?) on my hand, but it is just right with its elongated shape.
IMG_3215.jpeg

Here are my attempts to capture the stone’s colors:
IMG_3225.jpeg
IMG_3229.jpeg IMG_3217.jpeg IMG_3220.jpeg
IMG_3228.jpeg

I now fully understand the obsession with opals (RIP my wallet) :bigsmile:

Leigh10

Shiny_Rock
She’s fabulous! Enjoy wearing her and the joy you’ll get from her.

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
This was my husband’s belated Christmas gift to me. I told him I didn’t “want anything in particular” for the holiday and he interpreted it as “I don’t want anything.” Needless to say, once he realized his mistake, he asked me to find a piece of jewelry as my present :D

I have long admired the pieces on Lang’s website, but have never purchased. When I saw this listed, it was love at first sight:

IMG_3203.jpeg
IMG_3204.jpeg

I reached out for more information and Tracey at Lang couldn’t have been more helpful, sending me photos/videos and placing the item on a courtesy hold. I know nothing about opals, so did a deep dive on the web/PS re: black opals, Lightening Ridge, etc.

After receiving the photos & videos, and Tracey stating that it would be worthwhile to see it in person (and informing me of Lang’s very generous return policy), I went ahead and ordered it.
IMG_3232.jpeg

Needless to say, it’s a keeper! I’ve only had opals in earrings and they are white opals with very subtle colors:

This opal’s colors are so vibrant and the ballerina setting is well-executed. I was afraid it would be too big (haha, is there such a thing on PS?) on my hand, but it is just right with its elongated shape.
IMG_3215.jpeg

IMG_3225.jpeg
IMG_3228.jpeg

What a remarkable ring! I love it on your pointer finger, it gets more attention that way.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so glad you bough it! Those colours are INSANE!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

IMG_3203.jpeg
IMG_3204.jpeg

IMG_3232.jpeg

IMG_3215.jpeg

IMG_3225.jpeg
IMG_3228.jpeg

that is so beautiful, well done you

(im still waiting for my xmas present)

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
@Eli22 it looks like it belongs on your finger as a power pointer!

Fantastic photos too - the opal looks even more delicious in your photos than the Lang pics :kiss2:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous Elle!!!! Love the stone, love the setting, love the way it looks on you!

Great effect on the pointer with the complimentary ring!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colors are just gorgeous! Glad you got Christmas all straightened out - lol!!!

Star gazer

Shiny_Rock
Insanely gorgeous.

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Shimmer shimmer!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
She’s fabulous! Enjoy wearing her and the joy you’ll get from her.
Thank you so much! Joy is the appropriate word- I smile every time I see it! ::)

What a remarkable ring! I love it on your pointer finger, it gets more attention that way.
Thank you @luckygreen317 ! I’m liking it on my pointer as well!

I’m so glad you bough it! Those colours are INSANE!
Thank you for the encouragement ;)) I was amazed at how it shows every color in the rainbow!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
that is so beautiful, well done you

(im still waiting for my xmas present)
Thank you @Daisys and Diamonds ! I hope you get your present soon! I don’t wait, I commandeer, haha

@Eli22 it looks like it belongs on your finger as a power pointer!

Fantastic photos too - the opal looks even more delicious in your photos than the Lang pics :kiss2:
Power pointer it is! Thank you @Pomelo ! I was pleasantly surprised at how much brighter/more lively it is compared to the photos. When the associate at Lang’s said “it’s worth seeing in person” -I think she knew I would fall in love with it!

Gorgeous Elle!!!! Love the stone, love the setting, love the way it looks on you!

Great effect on the pointer with the complimentary ring!
Thank you for the kind words (and encouraging me to get it) @mellowyellowgirl ! Guess what? I think I’ve officially started on my “bigger is better” path haha

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks so much prettier in your pictures! You have tiny fingers and looks perfect on your pointer finger! I love the band on the ring finger too as it is suttle without diverting attention to your gorgeous opal ring! Hahaha.... you mean your husbands wallet... makes it even better! :bigsmile:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Looks stunning on you! Now I want a black opal, too!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
soooo beautiful! I love the ballerina settings and that opal is soooo colorful! Enjoy!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so gorgeous! Black opals are one of my favorite gemstones. Congrats!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks so much prettier in your pictures! You have tiny fingers and looks perfect on your pointer finger! I love the band on the ring finger too as it is suttle without diverting attention to your gorgeous opal ring! Hahaha.... you mean your husbands wallet... makes it even better! :bigsmile:
Thank you so much @cushioncutnut !! Hahaha you're right...his wallet :lol:

Looks stunning on you! Now I want a black opal, too!
Thank you @lulu_ma ! This is the first black opal I've seen in person, and I already know it won't be my last piece...I think you should get one!!
Here are some that I considered (enabler alert haha):

soooo beautiful! I love the ballerina settings and that opal is soooo colorful! Enjoy!
Thank you so much @Inked ! I've always admired ballerina settings, now I have one of my own!

It's so gorgeous! Black opals are one of my favorite gemstones. Congrats!
Thanks @Catmom ! I have fallen in love with black opals for sure!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Geeking out and trying to capture the various colors I see in different lighting (still doesn’t do it justice)

Next to window, indirect light

Indoor lighting

Bathroom/LED lighting

Still need to get some full sunlight pics/video...unfortunately the weather is not cooperating these days :roll:

DmdRunner

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on JOTW! Your ring is beautiful!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Eli22 Wow, congratulations!! That’s a really beautiful piece!!

I feel like… Sometimes - especially on PS - a piece is all about the stone and the mount is a tertiary concern. Rarely it’s the other way round - often a reset situation, find-a-stone-that-works-in-this-mount. I think that your new ring is greater than the sum of its parts - the stone is enhanced by the setting, the setting is made whole by the stone :love:

Love it on your pointer! A big look worn on a powerful finger. Glorious with your EC band!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, it’s a stunning ring.
Thank you so much, @luckygreen317 ! :wavey:

@Eli22 Wow, congratulations!! That’s a really beautiful piece!!

I feel like… Sometimes - especially on PS - a piece is all about the stone and the mount is a tertiary concern. Rarely it’s the other way round - often a reset situation, find-a-stone-that-works-in-this-mount. I think that your new ring is greater than the sum of its parts - the stone is enhanced by the setting, the setting is made whole by the stone :love:

Love it on your pointer! A big look worn on a powerful finger. Glorious with your EC band!

@yssie you have such a wonderful way with words! :kiss2: Thank you so much! I was a bit worried about the intricate ballerina setting, but it goes well with the elongated stone, and the N/S taper prevents it from feeling too large on my finger. It is definitely power pointer material :bigsmile:

CatSeaCat

Rough_Rock
Oh! I’m thrilled you bought that gorgeous ring. I’d seen it before on Langs.

I love the opal earrings, and the new design. Were those opals antique or are they newer stones?

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh! I’m thrilled you bought that gorgeous ring. I’d seen it before on Langs.

I love the opal earrings, and the new design. Were those opals antique or are they newer stones?
Thank you so much! I love most of their offerings and glad to finally have a piece from them ::)

Re: opal earrings, I believe they are newer (but I could be wrong). They were given to me over 30 years ago! Thank you - I think DK did a great job with the remake!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results