shape
carat
color
clarity

Black diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

parabellum

Rough_Rock
My question is about black diamonds.
What is the real price of these stones?
33.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
There have been many questions about black diamonds... just look for them in the search...

parabellum

Rough_Rock
Yes, there were discussions about black diamonds, but I need real prices.
The stone is 2.3 ct, opaque.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2006 1:13:42 AM
Author: parabellum
Yes, there were discussions about black diamonds, but I need real prices.
The stone is 2.3 ct, opaque.
For the usual treated stuff... a couple hundreds maybe... Perhaps even that is allot, but the least expensive things are usually the most marked up percentage-wise, so it isn''t too easy for me to come up with a precise estimate off the bat. When there is reasonable guarantee (well, at least the reputation of the seller - lab reports are terribly unusual), such a stone may get $500 or whereabouts. In general, I would not be sure if these are even natural, let alone untreated.

My 2c

Looking for a non treated natural black diamond some time ago, I have found so-so stones (with the usual flawed polish and uneven color) $250-$300/ct from 2 cts up to 6-7 cts. The very fine ones without defects may be quite a bit more: one example I remember was a bit less than 1 ct and the price around 1k ($1500? - dunno, it has been a while). Another fine natural example around 15 cts came at slightly less than 1k/ct.

This is about all that comes to mind. Sorry I don''t have more precise stats than some mere ''ballpark''.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never really understood black diamonds....isn''t it like a lump of coal on your finger?

Oh well....personal taste i guess.

blod
35.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

'Thought the same, untill the first uncut bit got in my hand: it was a colleague's souvenir from overseas - a cluster of three well formed crystals the size of his thumb. They had been saved from a lot intended for specialized industrial use for a 'ransom' of nearly 10k. At first I thought the guy went bananas, but the stones made the point nicely in person

5.gif

The silly way of setting these stones as poor brother of the colorless (Ebay junk?) instead of being given personal attention and the loads of syntetics give the dog a bad name... Sad, but it happens
7.gif

I don't know where the loads and loads of small black diamonds half a carat and under come from though at that sort of price (= close to coal!) come from - those must be industrial syntetics with a polish. Dont' know, but where else? Enough to give the dog a bad name.

Can you say 'coall' ?
2.gif

Coal.JPG

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2006 10:48:07 AM
Author: blodthecat
I''ve never really understood black diamonds....isn''t it like a lump of coal on your finger?

Oh well....personal taste i guess.

blod
35.gif
I agree. I keep thinking it''s a joke being played on the public by DeBeers.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/18/2006 11:52:50 AM
Author: moon river
I agree. I keep thinking it''s a joke being played on the public by DeBeers.

Starting around the 1750''s...

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
High quality natual black diamonds in size are not all that common...and many run of the mill stones look like sintered glass, and can have dark green color patches and what look like abraded facet edges...

That "Coal" site is cool!....you never cease to amaze me with the links...where do you find the, the, the time...you must be highly organized...keep it coming!
emdgust.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results