shape
carat
color
clarity

Black diamond

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone here own a black diamond? I’ve never even considered buying one but I came across one today in a setting I really like. I could easily whip the diamond out of the setting and replace it with a coloured stone but then I’d be left with a floating leftover black diamond what I don’t know what to do with.

I’d probably convert this from a bangle to a ring anyway. But the bigger issue is I know nothing whatever about value or anything else on this stone. This one is 9.5mm by 7.5mm. Set in white gold and diamonds for USD 2,900.

Haven’t a clue what black diamond values are. Anyone?

CD0EE2C9-A044-4496-A03C-1E001E9B889A.jpeg

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Alex Park recently sold some for 100 per ct. The bangle is beautiful!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that bangle.

But l, and I don’t know the cost of black diamonds so perhaps I am speaking out of turn, don’t think I would buy a black diamond. Unless the cost was appropriate. As in much less than the cost of colored diamonds or colorless diamonds. Because they don’t have all that I love about diamonds in general. As far as I can tell online that is.

Perhaps I’m wrong though as I’ve never seen a black diamond irl. How are they different from let’s say black onyx? Can someone explain this to me? Thanks.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex Park recently sold some for 100 per ct. The bangle is beautiful!

Ok now that sounds reasonable. Do you know how much black onyx is per carat? Thanks.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I can't help on pricing. Re: black diamonds in general though, I've loved these earrings since I first saw them. Maybe it's because the stones are rose cut, or maybe it's the quality of the material itself, but they look less opaque and more lively than the stone in the bangle you've pictured. The bangle is a lovely style, but the stone itself reads similar to a very dark sapphire to me, whereas the stone in the earrings looks more luminescent and interesting. That could very well be artistic photography however!

Someone here a year or two ago had an absolutely beautiful black diamond ring made too. I can't for the life of me remember who or find the thread, but it was stunning. I'll keep looking and will link if I manage to find it.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I can't help on pricing. Re: black diamonds in general though, I've loved these earrings since I first saw them. Maybe it's because the stones are rose cut, or maybe it's the quality of the material itself, but they look less opaque and more lively than the stone in the bangle you've pictured. The bangle is a lovely style, but the stone itself reads similar to a very dark sapphire to me, whereas the stone in the earrings looks more luminescent and interesting. That could very well be artistic photography however!

Someone here a year or two ago had an absolutely beautiful black diamond ring made too. I can't for the life of me remember who or find the thread, but it was stunning. I'll keep looking and will link if I manage to find it.

Is this it? Scroll down for a black diamond halo ring.

9CFB41B7-4BDA-4E52-8093-7CBA123B8F6D.png

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Ok now that sounds reasonable. Do you know how much black onyx is per carat? Thanks.

Not for certain but I think onyx has to be pennies per ct based on how dyed onyx is used in handmade Indian costume jewelry made for the domestic market and sold for $10-$20 usd equivalent.

A black diamond will be much more durable, and cutting it will have a much higher labor and machinery cost than onyx.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not for certain but I think onyx has to be pennies per ct based on how dyed onyx is used in handmade Indian costume jewelry made for the domestic market and sold for $10-$20 usd equivalent.

A black diamond will be much more durable, and cutting it will have a much higher labor and machinery cost than onyx.

Thanks for the info

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought this one from LAD - very opaque stone in 18k WG Sholdt, but still has great sparkle. I don't know that anyone but me knows or cares what it is, but I like it.

Black diamond.jpg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Those rings are really beautiful.

I was thinking around black diamonds a while back oddly - but melee. I have a pair of lovely vivid coloured emerald cabs with lots of hideous black spots in them and was thinking I could make a feature of the black inclusions by setting them in yellow gold and black diamond melee.

The bangle is really unusual but it’s the ballerina skirt that I’m hankering for. I’m trying to work out if it would Be more cost effective to get that setting custom made or to buy the bangle and pull it apart.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
I bought this one from LAD - very opaque stone in 18k WG Sholdt, but still has great sparkle. I don't know that anyone but me knows or cares what it is, but I like it.

Black diamond.jpg

Your ring is like a talisman of mystery! Beautiful!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen some really nice ones and some that belong on saw blades. I like the really nice ones, especially next to white diamonds. The only black diamonds I own are in a brooch I have.

IMG_5711.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As indicated the treatment will matter but I think its very pretty! I'll be the first to say I don't think I'd spend that kind of money just to convert it.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
As indicated the treatment will matter but I think its very pretty! I'll be the first to say I don't think I'd spend that kind of money just to convert it.

I think you’re right. Having something custom made is so inexpensive out here it’s not worth it to buy and redesign. Glad you talked some sense into me!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not a personal favourite of mine but Doug from Bespoke Gems does some stellar black spinel which has a nice glossy sorta look to it, nicer than black diamonds I think.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not buy an opaque black diamond for any price or purpose. (An even, transparent gray -- sure!) As someone pointed out upthread, it's no different from onyx. The only diamond-like advantage is hardness, but there's no fire, brilliance, etc. Just a mirror-like effect off the crown facets -- might as well just be rose-cut.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much as I love to wear black in clothing, it is unlikely I would get any black stones as the centre stone of a ring, as I prefer to be able to see sparkles in CS (except for cabochons).

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results