Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Bitter Sweet - got my ring, but has to be sent back

Janae335i

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2011
Messages
83
;( So my fiancé got the call on the weekend that my e-ring was ready to be picked up (2.61 J SI1 Antique Cushion). I was in the car so I heard the convo – I was so excited I started freaking out asking if we could immediately go there and get it. Of course he said no and wanted to keep me in suspense. The next day I had to go out with my girlfriends to try on bridesmaid dresses for my friends up coming wedding and my fiancé promised he’d go get my ring. So a few hours later I come home and I’m dying to see my ring!! He pretends he didn’t pick it up yet. I actually stated to cry because I was sooo sad (I’m such a baby lol). Then he pulls this little hot pink satchel from his pocket and says “well MAYBE it could be in here? Do you think it could fit in here?”
I ran over and opened it and saw my BABY!!!! Which was actually disappointing because I was immediately not happy with my ring. ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;(
My uncle is a jeweler and was going to be making my ring for me, but he specializes in more contemporary jewelry and sculptures so when I said what I wanted he thought it best to hire a man he works with who is suppose to be a master and do exquisite work. Which I was fine with as my uncle will do the other rings that I will stack with it, and I thought it best to leave it to who he said was a pro.
Here’s what I do like and would like some advise on a few things too PLEASE!

1) The prongs are not all the same, some are spaced slightly further than others and one is crooked.
2) I think that the prongs should be set more to the ‘corner’ of the diamond, I feel they are too much on the top and bottom
3) The prongs are not 'talons' like we has discussed, they do not come to a point and I feel they are too bulky. I look at my diamond and all I see are prongs.
4) It was to be set east/west and I think it might be north/south, but its hard to tell because the diamond is 8.19x8.39. And the more I look at it the more I’m not 100% sure.
5) I want to see if they can make the band a bit thinner, I wanted 1.5-1.8 (currently 2mm) and make it more round. I feel that it looks a bit square (or flat) when view from the top.
6) I feel like the prongs from where they start at the donut are too wide and thick. But I would like to see what you guys think. Maybe they are fine, and make the diamond safer?
7) One of the prongs comes straight up from the donut, while the others have a slight curve in them. I think that when he tried to have the diamond sit lower he had to bend the prongs a bit maybe?

So it sucks because I have missed my diamond so much and now I have to send it back ;( ;(

Now a million pictures!

Hand shot.JPG

left prong is straight from donut, no others are.JPG

Left prong is straight while right has curve to it.JPG

P5080005-good picture.JPG
 

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Messages
13,166
I've been anxiously awaiting this thread!

I'm so sorry you're not happy with your ring, but I think you're wise to have everything done to your standard *now* rather than later. I know it's hard to part with it, but you're smart for doing so.

First, that stone is to-die-for gorgeous!

As for your concerns:
1. I totally see what you mean about the prongs, they *are* wonky.
2. Do you mean the prongs curl too for over to the top of the stone? I'm wondering if thinning them out would fix that issue, because I'm not sure if they could still be secure yet not curl over as far as they do now.
3. The prongs could definitely be a bit thinner, in my opinion. If you don't like the current look, I agree that it could be changed.
4. I cannot tell if it's set EW! It looks like it in some pictures, but in others I'm not sure
5. The thinness issue is a big one because it will affect the stability of the shank if you thin the ring out. My own ring is 1.55 mm, and it feels sturdy and fine to me so far, but who knows how it will hold up over the years. My ring was hand forged so it's supposedly stronger, but still I think most jewelers aren't comfortable going smaller than 2 mm because of the strength issue. What does your uncle say about this? I love the band at its current thickness, but if you don't then I'd ask about it.
6. I agree that the prongs are thick, but I can't speak to the strength issue. Hopefully some tradespeople will chime in.
7. I totally see what you mean about the variation in prong shape. I'd want that fixed, for sure.

Okay, all that being said I think you have the *start* of a beautiful ring, and I hope your uncle can have it all fixed so it is exactly what you want in the end.
 

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
2,567
Janae335i|1304952335|2916203 said:
1) The prongs are not all the same, some are spaced slightly further than others and one is crooked.
2) I think that the prongs should be set more to the ‘corner’ of the diamond, I feel they are too much on the top and bottom
3) The prongs are not 'talons' like we has discussed, they do not come to a point and I feel they are too bulky. I look at my diamond and all I see are prongs.
4) It was to be set east/west and I think it might be north/south, but its hard to tell because the diamond is 8.19x8.39. And the more I look at it the more I’m not 100% sure.
5) I want to see if they can make the band a bit thinner, I wanted 1.5-1.8 (currently 2mm) and make it more round. I feel that it looks a bit square (or flat) when view from the top.
6) I feel like the prongs from where they start at the donut are too wide and thick. But I would like to see what you guys think. Maybe they are fine, and make the diamond safer?
7) One of the prongs comes straight up from the donut, while the others have a slight curve in them. I think that when he tried to have the diamond sit lower he had to bend the prongs a bit maybe?
All of these issues would drive me nuts! I don't blame you for being bothered by them. This is a ring you're going to look at every day for the rest of your life--it should meet or exceed your expectations. I would contact the maker of the ring with these issues and explain what you want fixed, maybe even write it all down for them to see the huge number of problems, and give them the chance to make it right. The only thing I'd say you might want to leave alone is your #5 issue--any thinner than 2mm for the shank and you're asking for problems. I think the 2mm shank looks perfect with your size diamond! Lovely design, issues aside. :love:
 

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 17, 2009
Messages
12,507
Oh no!!! I am so sorry you're disappointed with your ring!

It's a gorgeous stone...I agree that the prongs from the top view look bulky and uneven to the point where they are distracting. And the stone looks a little crooked in the setting in one pic. I see what you mean about the curve of the prongs, but at least to me it's not extremely obvious. And from the side, the prongs don't look overly thick to me. It's a large stone, so it's probably better if the setting is a little more substantial. But that said, if they bother you, definitely discuss it with your jeweler. As for the orientation, I can't really tell, but for what it's worth I like the way it's oriented. I think the size of the shank looks in proportion to the size of the stone.

It's a shame that you were disappointed after so much anticipation. Good luck, and keep going until your ring looks exactly the way you want it. You're going to be looking at this ring for a long time!

ETA: Oh, and I forgot to mention I love the design of the setting!
 

Janae335i

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2011
Messages
83
Haven|1304954170|2916220 said:
I've been anxiously awaiting this thread! Me too! lol

I'm so sorry you're not happy with your ring, but I think you're wise to have everything done to your standard *now* rather than later. I know it's hard to part with it, but you're smart for doing so.

First, that stone is to-die-for gorgeous!

As for your concerns:
1. I totally see what you mean about the prongs, they *are* wonky. Grrr
2. Do you mean the prongs curl too for over to the top of the stone? I'm wondering if thinning them out would fix that issue, because I'm not sure if they could still be secure yet not curl over as far as they do now. I meant that I fee like they aren't set on the corners of the stone. I would be fine with talon like prongs extending over the diamond more. I was just curious if the placement location of the prong seemed normal to the PS world?
3. The prongs could definitely be a bit thinner, in my opinion. If you don't like the current look, I agree that it could be changed.
4. I cannot tell if it's set EW! It looks like it in some pictures, but in others I'm not sure that's exactly how I feel lol
5. The thinness issue is a big one because it will affect the stability of the shank if you thin the ring out. My own ring is 1.55 mm, and it feels sturdy and fine to me so far, but who knows how it will hold up over the years. My ring was hand forged so it's supposedly stronger, but still I think most jewelers aren't comfortable going smaller than 2 mm because of the strength issue. What does your uncle say about this? I love the band at its current thickness, but if you don't then I'd ask about it.They were pretty persistant on it being 2mm, but they did say they could make the ring more round to have it appear a bit thinner when viewed from the top
6. I agree that the prongs are thick, but I can't speak to the strength issue. Hopefully some tradespeople will chime in.you mean thick from the base right? like they look too wide in general?
7. I totally see what you mean about the variation in prong shape. I'd want that fixed, for sure.

Okay, all that being said I think you have the *start* of a beautiful ring, and I hope your uncle can have it all fixed so it is exactly what you want in the end.
Glad to see its not just me!
 

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Messages
13,166
OHHHHH, I see what you mean about the prongs.

If you hadn't said anything, I wouldn't think they're misplaced on the stone, but it's hard for me to judge where a prong should be on a cushion shaped like yours because the outer lines of the stone are so fluid. I think the prongs on my stone are placed in pretty similar spots to the prongs on your stone, if that makes you feel any better.

The thickness issue is such a hot zone, I really have no idea what you should do. I defer to my jeweler's judgment, and if mine had said to keep it at 2 mm, that's what I would have done. If he can make the illusion of a thinner shank for you, that would be perfect since that's what you want!

Yes, the prongs are wide set at the base, if that makes sense. I'm thinking that was a design choice on the jeweler's part, but if you want them coming in to a smaller donut, I imagine they must be able to do that.

I think your ring design is really beautiful, Janae, and it's going to be stunning once you get these details worked out!
 

Janae335i

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2011
Messages
83
RubyBeth - I am so picky too so I noticed this all right off the bat - and it is so annoying! As for the mm of the shank, it is starting to grown on me, so I think I might be ok with keeping it at 2mm. I had just invisioned this teeny tiny band and my 'rock' sitting on top. But of course I'd rather ensure that my diamond was safe. So it is growing on me.

Junebug17 - thank you - I really am in love with the diamond! She's just sooo pretty! :love:
junebug17|1304954686|2916231 said:
I agree that the prongs from the top view look bulky and uneven to the point where they are distracting
That's how I feel about them too!

junebug17|1304954686|2916231 said:
I see what you mean about the curve of the prongs, but at least to me it's not extremely obvious.
Yep - that doesn't really bother me too much at all

junebug17|1304954686|2916231 said:
And from the side, the prongs don't look overly thick to me. It's a large stone, so it's probably better if the setting is a little more substantial.
Thank you - I really wasn't sure about this. I wanted everything about the setting to be delicate, but if they are this size too keep my diamond there then I am not too bothered.

junebug17|1304954686|2916231 said:
ETA: Oh, and I forgot to mention I love the design of the setting!
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!! makes me feel a bit better!
 

Janae335i

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2011
Messages
83
Haven|1304955387|2916243 said:
OHHHHH, I see what you mean about the prongs.

If you hadn't said anything, I wouldn't think they're misplaced on the stone, but it's hard for me to judge where a prong should be on a cushion shaped like yours because the outer lines of the stone are so fluid. I think the prongs on my stone are placed in pretty similar spots to the prongs on your stone, if that makes you feel any better.

The thickness issue is such a hot zone, I really have no idea what you should do. I defer to my jeweler's judgment, and if mine had said to keep it at 2 mm, that's what I would have done. If he can make the illusion of a thinner shank for you, that would be perfect since that's what you want!

Yes, the prongs are wide set at the base, if that makes sense. I'm thinking that was a design choice on the jeweler's part, but if you want them coming in to a smaller donut, I imagine they must be able to do that.

I think your ring design is really beautiful, Janae, and it's going to be stunning once you get these details worked out!
Haven - I wasn't sure about the prong placement either, because I do see how a cushion could be a bit tricky to mount.
And thank you for thinking the design is beautiful! That makes me feel so happy (even though there are issues to be fixed)!!!

I do have to say that having a completely round shank makes it the most comfortable ring ever! I don't even feel it on my hand!
 

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 19, 2010
Messages
1,278
OH, I've been waiting for this thread too!

I'm sorry you're not happy with the setting. Honestly, I wouldn't be happy with it either for the concerns you raised. With respect to the 2 mm shank, if you plan to keep that shape, smaller than 2 mm seems to be fine.

There's 2mm shanks here with pave and holes drilled into it that are fairly durable. Your band is thick - height-wise - with no pave or drilled holes. The design should be able to handle a smaller shank.

Would love to see more pics of that stone before you send it back though. :love:
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
It looks gorgeous!

I would agree with you about all your observations though.

Can your uncle fix it? Take a photo of a ring with the prongs you want. I would give it one try, then start fresh with a vendor whom you know can make it look amazing -- WF has a Sierra setting almost exactly like that one. But thinner and nicer like you want!
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
By the way, do not dispair, this type of thing is very common for us picky types ;))
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
oh like iota and everyone else I was also anxiously awaiting this thread.

I am really sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted it to! I think a beautiful stone like yours deserves a PERFECT setting to show it off, and I can see the issues with your setting that you see. To me, the prongs look WAY too thick :( but I hope it can get fixed!
 

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 21, 2011
Messages
2,047
I'm sorry to hear that. and yes, the pictures fits with what you said. I hope it will get fixed soon~
 

Janae335i

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2011
Messages
83
Dreamer_D|1304956777|2916274 said:
It looks gorgeous!

I would agree with you about all your observations though.

Can your uncle fix it? Take a photo of a ring with the prongs you want. I would give it one try, then start fresh with a vendor whom you know can make it look amazing -- WF has a Sierra setting almost exactly like that one. But thinner and nicer like you want!
When my FI picked it up my uncle said he was not happy with the prongs and that they can be changed to be like talons. But he didn't talk about the width of the prongs. SOO I have to see what can be done with that.

And yes, it is tough sometimes being picky and knowing exactly what you want can be tough :wink2: lol
 

Janae335i

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2011
Messages
83
slg47 - thank you. What do you think about the general style of the prongs (not including the fact that the claws need to be more talon like and thinned out)? Should I have them totally re-done?

minmin001 - Thank you!
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
I think thinning the prongs from the point of the cross bar on will accomplish a lot. And adding claw ends.
 

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 19, 2009
Messages
5,754
Your stone is amazing and the ring will be fab once you get these relatively small issues ironed out:)

I would talk to the guy who made it and outline all your concerns in writing. See how he does fixing them, and if there are any issues then I would ask your uncle:)
 

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
7,788
It is a beautiful stone, but I can understand why you are not crazy about the setting. It's all a process, and I am sure you will get there.
It looks like it will just take a few minor tweaks.
 

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
12,660
You have a beautiful stone and that's the most important part. I think the prongs definitely need to be thinned out and maybe elongated. The way they are now sort of looks like balls on the corners of the stone - not as graceful as they could be.

Just figure out exactly the way you want them to look and send it back. I know it's hard to give up the ring but you'll be so much happier when the setting looks exactly the way you want it to.
 

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 1, 2009
Messages
3,737
Gorgeous stone!!!! In the second picture it looks like the diamond is not set straight and you are right about the prongs.
 

Janae335i

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2011
Messages
83
lknvrb4|1305023688|2917178 said:
Gorgeous stone!!!! In the second picture it looks like the diamond is not set straight and you are right about the prongs.
Good eye! I didn't even notice that! I think that it is just my diamond, it has some slight symmetry issues - lol. There is a slight variance in the crown height. But I've been staring at it and I can't see it IRL.
And thank you, I really am in love with my diamond!! I've never seen something so beautiful in person before.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
56,125
Your diamond is gorgeous! :love: And the ring design is beautiful...just not perfected yet! We are used to seeing a small number of jewelers here doing these perfect tiny prongs, but in reality, I don't think most people can do them!

I thought for sure I could tell if the stone is set E-W after seeing so many of Good Old Gold's stones (!), but in one picture I think it looks N-S and others I think E-W. A straight-on, close-up photo would help. I think they might have to remake the whole head of the ring if they don't have the stone positioned right.

I strongly encourage you to leave the shank as it is. 2mm is thin!!! Less than that is a durability risk. I would expect them to put a rush on getting the head redone, too. Not right to give you the ring with those flaws!!! If you didn't do this at the outset, you need to provide them with pictures of what you expect for those prongs. As I said before, I don't think the fine claw prongs we see here are common.
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
Sorry to hear this! You need to be beyond happy with your ring, so talk to the jeweler about these issues and waht you want!
 

Janae335i

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2011
Messages
83
diamondseeker2006|1305029480|2917212 said:
Your diamond is gorgeous! :love: And the ring design is beautiful...just not perfected yet! We are used to seeing a small number of jewelers here doing these perfect tiny prongs, but in reality, I don't think most people can do them!

I thought for sure I could tell if the stone is set E-W after seeing so many of Good Old Gold's stones (!), but in one picture I think it looks N-S and others I think E-W. A straight-on, close-up photo would help. I think they might have to remake the whole head of the ring if they don't have the stone positioned right.

I strongly encourage you to leave the shank as it is. 2mm is thin!!! Less than that is a durability risk. I would expect them to put a rush on getting the head redone, too. Not right to give you the ring with those flaws!!! If you didn't do this at the outset, you need to provide them with pictures of what you expect for those prongs. As I said before, I don't think the fine claw prongs we see here are common.
Thank you so much Diamondseeker2006!
I've attched what will hopefully be a bit better to judge if it is E-W or N-S (i had to prop the ring in some sticky tack while at work) LOL!

I was wondering if they would have to re-do the head...I guess we will see. I am going there Thursday to bring pictures of some claws that I like. I'll actually post the pictures so you guys can see what I am thinking.

P5100120-close to to see E-W.JPG

P5100122-close up to see if n-w.JPG
 

Unicorn64

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 9, 2011
Messages
83
Janae335i|1305061258|2917713 said:
diamondseeker2006|1305029480|2917212 said:
Your diamond is gorgeous! :love: And the ring design is beautiful...just not perfected yet! We are used to seeing a small number of jewelers here doing these perfect tiny prongs, but in reality, I don't think most people can do them!

I thought for sure I could tell if the stone is set E-W after seeing so many of Good Old Gold's stones (!), but in one picture I think it looks N-S and others I think E-W. A straight-on, close-up photo would help. I think they might have to remake the whole head of the ring if they don't have the stone positioned right.

I strongly encourage you to leave the shank as it is. 2mm is thin!!! Less than that is a durability risk. I would expect them to put a rush on getting the head redone, too. Not right to give you the ring with those flaws!!! If you didn't do this at the outset, you need to provide them with pictures of what you expect for those prongs. As I said before, I don't think the fine claw prongs we see here are common.
Thank you so much Diamondseeker2006!
I've attched what will hopefully be a bit better to judge if it is E-W or N-S (i had to prop the ring in some sticky tack while at work) LOL!

I was wondering if they would have to re-do the head...I guess we will see. I am going there Thursday to bring pictures of some claws that I like. I'll actually post the pictures so you guys can see what I am thinking.
It's a really tough call. Is it possible that the placement and thickness of the prongs are interfering with the visual of the stone being set ew? I'm still waiting for my ring and when I told my jeweler to set the stone ew, she said she understood and that she would set the stone to show it's "pillowyness" of being a cushion and if I'm not mistaken, that's what you're after also? Gosh, good luck and can't wait to see your ring when it's the way you want it.
 

Janae335i

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 12, 2011
Messages
83
Update!
Well I took my ring back to my uncle yesterday. He hadn't seen it before my FI picked it up, so when I showed him the ring he was not happy at all.
We discussed making the prongs more danity, as well as elongating them and of course making them come to a point like a talon. They are also going to take down the width of them a bit from where they come up at the gallery, but he was very concerned about strength. And said just a few times of barely banging your diamond/setting on something can slowly start to bend or open a prong. So he feels more comfortable with keeping them slightly "fuller" to ensure security of the diamond. Which I cannot argue with of course.
My uncle said the diamond is set east/west, it's just the way the prongs were that was confusing the eye, which we had mentioned here already. So that's a relief.
As for the thickness of the shank, I've asked them to thin it up just a tinsey little and make it more rounded. It is a very stong ring because of the fact it is completely round. So I should be safe with it being a little bit thiner. Just a little! :naughty:

Thank you everyone for your help! Keep you up to date on the progress.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Tennis Bracelet Love
    Tennis Bracelet Love

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top