shape
carat
color
clarity

Bit overwhelmed..

thedru13

Rough_Rock
So ready to pull the trigger on a ring. Bit overwhelmed with the process and on information overload. This site has been helpful. I don't have a huge budget. Would like to keep it under 12k. I made the mistake of taking my amazing bride to be into Cartier. She fell in love with the 1895 setting. Of course the one they showed us was over 65k. So that was a fun experience.. So after looking around I really like two setting by Victor Canera. The Trueste with Pave Diamonds
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-trueste-with-pave
And the Jocelyn Pave Solitaire
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-jocelyn-pave-solitaire

Leaning towards the Trueste. She doesn't wear jewlery now and is not very delicate so thinking this will fit better. I have also found these 3 stones but not sure if they are to small for the trueste setting. I don't want the setting to overwhelm the stone if that makes sense. would love some input or opinions. Again really appreciate any sort of feedback. I am looking to make this purchase in the next few weeks. Thanks Everyone.

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/5y7429-1.302-i-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/91yenn-1.254-g-si1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/nhrvma-1.204-h-si1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey there!:wavey:
You have a nice budget and VC will definitely turn out a spectacular ring for you. I'm just here for a vote of support. I hope more PSers chime in to help.

thedru13

Rough_Rock
Thank you. Appreciate the support. :).

Hey there!:wavey:
You have a nice budget and VC will definitely turn out a spectacular ring for you. I'm just here for a vote of support. I hope more PSers chime in to help.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am really liking the 1.254 G SI1! It is completely eye-clean, it has a smaller table and it is juuust under 7mm! Beautiful stone!

Both settings are beautiful. If your fiancé to be is not very delicate, I would go for a cathedral profile (similar to Trueste). That is also the profile of the Cartier 1895 setting.

thedru13

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Yah maybe it’s me but like the way the pave diamonds are set in those two settings. She has big fingers Ex bball player. So just don’t want the diamond to look to small. Appreciate all the insight. I had an easier time designing my sleeve tattoos then I have had picking out an engagement ring.

I am really liking the 1.254 G SI1! It is completely eye-clean, it has a smaller table and it is juuust under 7mm! Beautiful stone!

Both settings are beautiful. If your fiancé to be is not very delicate, I would go for a cathedral profile (similar to Trueste). That is also the profile of the Cartier 1895 setting.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So ready to pull the trigger on a ring. Bit overwhelmed with the process and on information overload. This site has been helpful. I don't have a huge budget. Would like to keep it under 12k. I made the mistake of taking my amazing bride to be into Cartier. She fell in love with the 1895 setting. Of course the one they showed us was over 65k. So that was a fun experience.. So after looking around I really like two setting by Victor Canera. The Trueste with Pave Diamonds
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-trueste-with-pave
And the Jocelyn Pave Solitaire
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-jocelyn-pave-solitaire

Leaning towards the Trueste. She doesn't wear jewlery now and is not very delicate so thinking this will fit better. I have also found these 3 stones but not sure if they are to small for the trueste setting. I don't want the setting to overwhelm the stone if that makes sense. would love some input or opinions. Again really appreciate any sort of feedback. I am looking to make this purchase in the next few weeks. Thanks Everyone.

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/5y7429-1.302-i-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/91yenn-1.254-g-si1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/nhrvma-1.204-h-si1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

I'm on team G, SI1! All 3 look beautiful, but G, SI1 has a different personality that just speaks to me. AGS000 doesn't get any better, as far as Cut. The dimensions are spectacular, and it will look amazing in either setting. My* preference between the two: Jocelyn.
I truly hope that no matter what you choose, you are satisfied with your decision. VC's craftsmanship is amaze-balls, and he is one of few on a short list I intend to work with, in the future.
Please come back with more photos of the lucky winner, and with hand shots, after the proposal!! Best of luck!!!
CRM

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The G would be my choice...reasoning...
- you are not gaining much size between the 1.25 and the 1.3 (7.02 vs 6.93x6.96)
- you have to drop down 2 colors to gain that little bit of size. I'm not color sensitive but the gain in size is not enough (for me) to drop two color grades.
*if size is your highest priority then go with the 'I'...I try to balance the trade-offs

This will show you the relative size difference between the 2 stones on a size 7 finger (1.3 on left, 1.25 on right) so you can make a more educated
decision on what you want to do...

And BTW, you have a great budget (and I like the trueste the best although both are lovely)!
g vs I stones.PNG

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like the 1.25 and 1.20 stones with the first setting. Good luck!

thedru13

Rough_Rock
You guys Rock. No pun intended. What a great group to not only get info but for support. Thank you all so very much. I am waiting for Victor to get back to me to start putting things in motion. I will post pics when I get the ring. Right now targeting mid October will be in Hawaii for a family event so planning on doing it while we are away. Still need to figure out that as well.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@thedru13 Hawaii is a magical place for a proposal! And how lovely that the family will be there to celebrate with you!

I just have one question - did she like this ring:http://www.cartier.com/en-us/collec...itaire-1895/n4164600-1895-solitaire-ring.html
Because if so, then that one has a different look than the two settings you liked. The style is with a tapered shank. A VC design that is similar is this one: https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/graduated-shank-pave-solitaire

For what is worth, I really love this design and it is more uncommonly seen than the above two, at least nowadays. A friend of mine has large hands with long fingers (she is also very tall) and I know that she doesn't like very delicate shanks. Nonetheless, all of the choices are beautiful and I am sure that you can't go wrong with either.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did she try on the Cartier 1895 with pave on the shank or just the plain shank? I really like the plain cathedral shank on the Trueste with a diamond wedding band. You'll absolutely need Victor to make the matching wedding band if you go with the one with the pave diamonds on the shank (band).

You have excellent taste and cannot go wrong with this choice. The ring will actually be higher quality than the Cartier version, because Victor's diamonds are higher quality than Cartier's, for the most part!!! Not to mention the price is considerably better!

thedru13

Rough_Rock
Dang IT!!! That is the setting from Cartier.. And not sure how I missed that setting on VC's site. But wow thank you for complicating my decision... LOL.. So I know I am not using the right terms but I like how the diamond is set on the Trueste with the diamonds in the crown or where the diamond sits. But not sure what you mean by Delicate Shanks. She is not very delicate meaning if her hands are not getting dirty like ripping apart a motor or doing some sport related activity a delicate ring might be a bad decision. Mind you I hope she doesn't leave her bling on when doing certain things that that is probably an entirely different thread. When I spoke to Victor he recommended the Trueste based on budget i am going to assume. Since I did start the convo with the Cartier ring being the look I was going for.

@thedru13 Hawaii is a magical place for a proposal! And how lovely that the family will be there to celebrate with you!

I just have one question - did she like this ring:http://www.cartier.com/en-us/collec...itaire-1895/n4164600-1895-solitaire-ring.html
Because if so, then that one has a different look than the two settings you liked. The style is with a tapered shank. A VC design that is similar is this one: https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/graduated-shank-pave-solitaire

For what is worth, I really love this design and it is more uncommonly seen than the above two, at least nowadays. A friend of mine has large hands with long fingers (she is also very tall) and I know that she doesn't like very delicate shanks. Nonetheless, all of the choices are beautiful and I am sure that you can't go wrong with either.

thedru13

Rough_Rock
So not sure the difference to be honest. It looks like the link posted above but here is the pic. I like this style with the way the pave diamonds are set. I am still learning ... lol. and have a lot more to learn.
View media item 122356

Did she try on the Cartier 1895 with pave on the shank or just the plain shank? I really like the plain cathedral shank on the Trueste with a diamond wedding band. You'll absolutely need Victor to make the matching wedding band if you go with the one with the pave diamonds on the shank (band).

You have excellent taste and cannot go wrong with this choice. The ring will actually be higher quality than the Cartier version, because Victor's diamonds are higher quality than Cartier's, for the most part!!! Not to mention the price is considerably better!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang IT!!! That is the setting from Cartier.. And not sure how I missed that setting on VC's site. But wow thank you for complicating my decision... LOL.. So I know I am not using the right terms but I like how the diamond is set on the Trueste with the diamonds in the crown or where the diamond sits. But not sure what you mean by Delicate Shanks. She is not very delicate meaning if her hands are not getting dirty like ripping apart a motor or doing some sport related activity a delicate ring might be a bad decision. Mind you I hope she doesn't leave her bling on when doing certain things that that is probably an entirely different thread. When I spoke to Victor he recommended the Trueste based on budget i am going to assume. Since I did start the convo with the Cartier ring being the look I was going for.

If she liked a tapered shank, a straight band is probably not what she would want. Here is what I mean:
Cartier ring:
Tapered shank (it goes from wider near the stone to narrower toward the bottom)
IMG_6577.jpg IMG_6578.jpg

VC (graduated band pavè solitaire)
IMG_6572.JPG
Very similar profile (arguably much better actually) the model ring is also with a similarly sized diamond 1.2ct)

VC Trueste
IMG_6574.JPG

Straigh shank that gets to a narrow point as it meets the diamond. You can see that the profile is different and more delicate in my view.

Honestly, if your significant other really liked the tapered shank, I would go with that. She will be the one wearing the ring. I would ask VC for a quote and also ask what would be the cost to add some diamonds in the basket (similar to the Trueste).

PS please get her one of these for the days when she is extra active: https://qalo.com/collections/all/wo...PKGVSduih7LKtMNGfKRMl6RZvmubIbjWHMaAqwl8P8HAQ

Last edited:

thedru13

Rough_Rock
OK Thank you so very much for that info. Makes complete sense now what you are referring to. So I agree on the tapered look being a bit meatier. Hopefully, I will hear back from VC today and see what sort of design he suggested based on all this new info. Thanks again for taking the time to help me learn as well as giving me some really great insight.
If she liked a tapered shank, a reverse taper is probably not what she would want. Here is what I mean:
Cartier ring:
Tapered shank (it goes from wider near the stone to narrower tower the bottom)
IMG_6577.jpg IMG_6578.jpg

VC (graduated band pavè solitaire)
IMG_6572.JPG
Very similar profile (arguably much better actually) the model ring is also with a similarly sized diamond 1.2ct)

VC Trueste
IMG_6574.JPG

Straigh shank that gets to a narrow point as it meets the diamond. You can see that the profile is different and more delicate in my view.

Honestly, if your significant other really liked the tapered shank, I would go with that. She will be the one wearing the ring. I would ask VC for a quote and also ask what would be the cost to add some diamonds in the basket (similar to the Trueste).

PS please get her one of these for the days when she is extra active: https://qalo.com/collections/all/wo...PKGVSduih7LKtMNGfKRMl6RZvmubIbjWHMaAqwl8P8HAQ

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK Thank you so very much for that info. Makes complete sense now what you are referring to. So I agree on the tapered look being a bit meatier. Hopefully, I will hear back from VC today and see what sort of design he suggested based on all this new info. Thanks again for taking the time to help me learn as well as giving me some really great insight.

No problem at all, glad you find it helpful. Just to clarify that I find the VC tapered shank design much more fluid and better than the Cartier. I hope that VC can provide a quote that will work for you with that design. Since your girlfriend is also very active, I would not be too concerned about having or not diamonds in the basket. Based on her lifestyle, it may actually be better not to have micropave in basket, as it can be easily damaged.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You are getting some great advice in the thread! It sounds like balancing the active llife-style and desired micropave is going to be the hardest element - but you're in good hands here.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am confident Victor can customize any way you like. I can't wait to see the finished product. Your fiancé will love it.

And I think that the bead set pave that you're choosing will be quite durable. I had the Jocelyn for a couple of years and wore it all day, and it held just fine. I did try to remember to take it off when I was using heavy weights, although it survived a couple of sessions with those too. You learn how to position your fingers so the brunt of the weight doesn't rest on the ring. And I stacked the ring too. Good luck!

Last edited:

thedru13

Rough_Rock
So got everything sorted and getting ready to put a deposit down.. But may have a wrench thrown into the mix. So had to get a ring size so did it on the sneak.. Sort of.. She doesn't know but for some reason thinks its 9.5... I am thinking that is way off. Was thinking more like 8 tops her hands aren't that big.. Worst case if it is 9.5 I am worried this diamond will look super tiny.. Am I over thinking all of this? I just ordered a ring sizer and will have it tomorrow.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have chosen a good size. If she hasn't expressed that she wants a ginormous honker I think your 1.2 will be fine. If at some point in the future she wants to upgrade VC has a good upgrade policy on his stones. Maybe a 5 or 10 year anniversary. Did you check it his upgrade policy? If yours is a Canera ideal hearts then you get 100% upgrade benefit. That's what I read. You should look for yourself if you haven't. Don't worry. You did amazingly well on your first time out. I wish I did 20 years ago. Great job!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@thedru13 1.254ct is a very respectable size! What is more important is that the diamond is truly gorgeous and will have an amazing visual impact due to its performance! It is also very white, which many value a lot. Also, has your significant other indicated that she wants "big"? Based on everything you have said so far, it doesn't appear that she is after size. She simply liked a style and you are honoring her wishes which is awesome and I think that she will really appreciate that. I think that the end result will be stunning. Do you know what size was the center diamond of the Cartier ring she tried? Also do you know what size the Cartier ring was?

thedru13

Rough_Rock
I don't think she is a size queen... LOL. and love the feedback on the quality of the stone which makes me want to stay in this direction I wish i remembered the specs on the Cartier ring but was in complete sticker shock as well as let's just say I didn't fit the mold of what they thought a Cartier customer should look like. Will not go off on a tangent on that ... But I am thinking the center stone was 1.5 carots maybe a little bit bigger but not much. WE looked at a tiffany solitare as well that was 1ct. I am way more of the female in the relationship(don't judge) WE have been together for 11 years so want to give her something special and that she can treasure. She doesn't want a wedding just go and have a vacation and get hitched. So want to really make her feel great about her bling.

I think you have chosen a good size. If she hasn't expressed that she wants a ginormous honker I think your 1.2 will be fine. If at some point in the future she wants to upgrade VC has a good upgrade policy on his stones. Maybe a 5 or 10 year anniversary. Did you check it his upgrade policy? If yours is a Canera ideal hearts then you get 100% upgrade benefit. That's what I read. You should look for yourself if you haven't. Don't worry. You did amazingly well on your first time out. I wish I did 20 years ago. Great job!

@thedru13 1.254ct is a very respectable size! What is more important is that the diamond is truly gorgeous and will have an amazing visual impact due to its performance! It is also very white, which many value a lot. Also, has your significant other indicated that she wants "big"? Based on everything you have said so far, it doesn't appear that she is after size. She simply liked a style and you are honoring her wishes which is awesome and I think that she will really appreciate that. I think that the end result will be stunning. Do you know what size was the center diamond of the Cartier ring she tried? Also do you know what size the Cartier ring was?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think she is a size queen... LOL. and love the feedback on the quality of the stone which makes me want to stay in this direction I wish i remembered the specs on the Cartier ring but was in complete sticker shock as well as let's just say I didn't fit the mold of what they thought a Cartier customer should look like. Will not go off on a tangent on that ... But I am thinking the center stone was 1.5 carots maybe a little bit bigger but not much. WE looked at a tiffany solitare as well that was 1ct. I am way more of the female in the relationship(don't judge) WE have been together for 11 years so want to give her something special and that she can treasure. She doesn't want a wedding just go and have a vacation and get hitched. So want to really make her feel great about her bling.

Awee this is so sweet! Ok, if she tried 1.5 and 1, going with something in the middle is great, I think. It is kind of amazing that VC is your first choice. I think that his work is amazing and as such it does come with a price tag (not as dramatic as Cartier's). If larger center stone size is what you wanted, there are other vendors, but I think that tunhave an awesome plan in place already and I think that both of you will be really impressed with the quality of both - diamond and setting. Don't stress over the carat weight, it is a pretty great size!

P.S. My husband and I had a similar experience at Cartier :D I knew what to expect, but he was in for a treat lol

Last edited:

thedru13

Rough_Rock
Thank you.. LOL and being covered in tatts I can understand but then again I am the one shopping in there. Maybe i should have stuck my amex black card to my forehead and wore my gucci loafers with my prada leather pants .. Just been a walking advertisement for overpriced brand name stuff. Love the white glove touch when they handle the settings.. I always like to have fun with that stuff.

Awee this is so sweet! Ok, if she tried 1.5 and 1, going with something in the middle is great, I think. It is kinda of amazing that VC is your first choice. I think that his work is amazing and as such it does come with a price tag (not as dramatic as Cartier's). If larger center stone size is what you wanted, there are other vendors, but I think that tunhave an awesome plan in place already and I think that both of you will be really impressed with the quality of both - diamond and setting. Don't stress over the carat weight, it is a pretty great size!

P.S. My husband and I had a similar experience at Cartier :D I knew what to expect, but he was in for a treat lol

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If quality matters to you, VC is the right guy, for the stone and the setting. And you're probably shooting yourself in the foot because now your soon-to-be-wife will grow accustomed to the quality and beauty of his diamonds and his work, and you know what THAT means for future gifts. :lol:

And whatever to Cartier and the whole attitude of the store thing. It's been hit or miss with me. Just know that the stone you're buying is a super ideal cut within tighter parameters than Cartier's diamonds. I know people may balk at that claim, but if someone can prove me wrong, I would be happy to learn. And your setting is a custom, made to order piece, hand forged by a master metalsmith. In my book, that is more impressive and exclusive than a Cartier diamond ring. I can't wait to read about your thoughts when you first receive it.

Lastly, where were you 20 years ago? (Don't answer that.) You could have given me and my DH some lessons. You did great. And trust me, when your fiance sees the ring, she will know it too.

thedru13

Rough_Rock
Lol we have already crossed the bridge of what are nice things. But I can’t complain. And 20 years ago I was un happily married. 2nd time will be the charm. Took me 11 years to stop hating marriage and embrace the commitment not the bad business contract. :)

If quality matters to you, VC is the right guy, for the stone and the setting. And you're probably shooting yourself in the foot because now your soon-to-be-wife will grow accustomed to the quality and beauty of his diamonds and his work, and you know what THAT means for future gifts. :lol:

And whatever to Cartier and the whole attitude of the store thing. It's been hit or miss with me. Just know that the stone you're buying is a super ideal cut within tighter parameters than Cartier's diamonds. I know people may balk at that claim, but if someone can prove me wrong, I would be happy to learn. And your setting is a custom, made to order piece, hand forged by a master metalsmith. In my book, that is more impressive and exclusive than a Cartier diamond ring. I can't wait to read about your thoughts when you first receive it.

Lastly, where were you 20 years ago? (Don't answer that.) You could have given me and my DH some lessons. You did great. And trust me, when your fiance sees the ring, she will know it too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results