shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Birthday Present Finished! - Black Opal

Punks-Tricks

Rough_Rock
So back in March I was presented with a lovely 2.14ct black opal that my husband had purchased. Total surprise when I opened on my birthday, he then gave me a budget to get it set in to a ring. I'm in the UK and we don't have as many choices to get custom and a few people I'd spoken to didn't want to set stones they hadn't supplied or opals. Anyway I found a jeweller and we set off on the road. I spent many hours thinking about what I wanted and googling images of black opal rings. In summary I wanted a modern style that would protect the stone, didn't want it to look like an engagement ring, wanted it to be eye-catching but not too blingy. My love of opals stems from my obsession with the Aurora Borealis and the night sky. So here is the finished ring, I am delighted and totally in love. I have a tiny secret emerald on the inside of the ring in memory of my Mum, emerald was her birthstone.

Aurora 15.jpg Aurora 12.jpg Aurora 2.jpg Aurora 3.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 30

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this. I absolutely love it. Beautifully, exquisitely made. Just a gorgeous piece of jewelery.

Wear in happiness and good health!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's great! Delicate and soft but still modern and unique. Congrats!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your ring! Beautiful stone, beautiful setting, beautiful story, beautiful sentiment - enjoy your special ring!

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Awesome ring. It looks like a planet with orbit. Definitely cosmic and aurora like. Enjoy.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Well done!

cheers--Sharon

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful. I’d love to see the actual aurora someday. Bucket list item for sure.

Punks-Tricks

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your kind comments, I was worried about posting in case people thought it was bland and boring. Usually I have don't care attitude but this has so much sentiment attached to it. I was so happy when I picked it up, I thought I was going to cry!

Punks-Tricks

Rough_Rock
It’s beautiful. I’d love to see the actual aurora someday. Bucket list item for sure.
I really hope one day you get to tick it off your list. It is totally amazing and I realise how lucky I am to live just a four hour plane ride away from Tromso (the best place to see it -in my opinion)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being an Aussie I'm a bit biased, I hope we see more black opals on here, congrats yours is beautiful!!!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
It’s not bland at all! What a lovely gift. :kiss2:

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful piece:love:!! Congrats and enjoy!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you very much for your kind comments, I was worried about posting in case people thought it was bland and boring. Usually I have don't care attitude but this has so much sentiment attached to it. I was so happy when I picked it up, I thought I was going to cry!

On the contrary! It is absolutely captivating & SO unusual! I too am a sucker for the Aurora Borealis (UK here too) & I had never put the 2 together before, but wow! Yes, I can totally see why you love black opals!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful opal! I love the circle within the oval design. Unique and interesting! Enjoy your new ring!!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely black opal!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Lovely result- it turned out great!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Putting diamonds on just one side of the oval was a master stroke! Do you prefer to wear the ring with the diamonds pointing inwards as in the photos?

If it's not too personal; may we see how you placed the secret emerald that honors your Mum?

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Its a beautiful ring, I like Black Opals and lively blue-green Boulder Opals too.
Enjoy it, it’s lovely and the sentiment with it makes it even more special.
Great design.

Punks-Tricks

Rough_Rock
On the contrary! It is absolutely captivating & SO unusual! I too am a sucker for the Aurora Borealis (UK here too) & I had never put the 2 together before, but wow! Yes, I can totally see why you love black opals!
Thank you! I try to get to Norway at least once a year to chase the Aurora.

Punks-Tricks

Rough_Rock
A2E5C2EA-A066-4113-9EFA-1059AF96ADB6.jpeg
Putting diamonds on just one side of the oval was a master stroke! Do you prefer to wear the ring with the diamonds pointing inwards as in the photos?

If it's not too personal; may we see how you placed the secret emerald that honors your Mum?
Thank you, the diamonds on one side was to stop it looking too much like a halo and was to represent stars in the sky. In my excitement I put the ring on with the diamonds at the bottom but on reflection I think I’ll wear it the other way. Not personal at all and thanks for asking. The emerald was placed where it is in case I need to resize the band, it won’t affect the emerald.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely ring, the opal is stunning and the "night sky" touch is perfect! :love:

Q

Queenie60

Your ring is beautiful. Love your opal and choice of setting. Enjoy it in good health and congratulations.

HNGN

Shiny_Rock
I know is a little late but just wanna say Happy Birthday to you!! Very nice husband of you!!
Love the setting, is simple but not so simple.... Just pure brilliant! Love it!
It looks great on your hand and I love the tiny Emerald surprise inside... So sweet to have memory of your mum together with this lovely ring. ;)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A2E5C2EA-A066-4113-9EFA-1059AF96ADB6.jpeg
Thank you, the diamonds on one side was to stop it looking too much like a halo and was to represent stars in the sky. In my excitement I put the ring on with the diamonds at the bottom but on reflection I think I’ll wear it the other way. Not personal at all and thanks for asking. The emerald was placed where it is in case I need to resize the band, it won’t affect the emerald.
your ring is fabulous
well done husband on the stone
and i adore your setting:appl:
i love love love that secrete emerald for your mum

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy birthday! Love this setting and secret emerald. Such a beautiful ring.:love:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That setting is perfect for your gorgeous opal, congratulations, love your choices!:love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other half and I went to Yellowknife earlier this year to see the Aurora. The first night we were out... it was -20degrees and my two layers of socks plus thermal pads really weren't up to the task of standing on ice for hours - and what I remember most vividly is watching those green northern lights dance across the sky. It was an absolutely magical experience.

I love your new ring and I hope you always remember - or dream of - the Aurora when you look at it :kiss2:

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
It’s gorgeous!! I am an opal lover too.:) I love that this ring is so completely unique! Well done!

Punks-Tricks

Rough_Rock
B19F4465-7DCF-4A87-B4C1-5CDFE1012FCF.jpeg
The other half and I went to Yellowknife earlier this year to see the Aurora. The first night we were out... it was -20degrees and my two layers of socks plus thermal pads really weren't up to the task of standing on ice for hours - and what I remember most vividly is watching those green northern lights dance across the sky. It was an absolutely magical experience.

I love your new ring and I hope you always remember - or dream of - the Aurora when you look at it :kiss2:
I’m glad you got to experience it despite the cold. It’s a totally magical experience, agreed. Yikes -20 you have to be dedicated. Thank you for you kind comments. A warm night last December -8 Finland

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results