shape
carat
color
clarity

Birth gift (jewelry)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have a friend who is expecting. I recall hearing or reading somewhere that the father should buy a birth gift (usually jewelry) for the mother upon the successful birth of their child (or children). Has anyone else heard of this practice and can you point me in the direction of source that states the tradition? My friend is thinking of a small eternity band to stack with her ER and WR but needs some proof to back up the claim.

Thanks all!

H2

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I expect a "pushing present"
2.gif
hehe. Signed pieces have great maternity rings that are pick or blue sapphires. I love the idea of stacking rings so she can wear them all together (as they have more and more children). I think an eternity band is the right idea.

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Google push present and you''ll get your evidence.
Link

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had never officially heard of it until I came on PS. So you might have to use PS as the authority on jewelry gift occasions.
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2006 8:36:43 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I had never officially heard of it until I came on PS. So you might have to use PS as the authority on jewelry gift occasions.
2.gif
Yeah, this wasn''t done when I was having kids. I wanna know if I can collect now, kinda like back taxes.
9.gif

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
I''m a Pediatrician and have seen quite a few new moms sporting new jewelry on my morning rounds.
Just last month there was a lady with a beautiful new diamond "circle of life" pendant which really set off the lovely hospital gown.

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I aren''t having kids, but, if we did, I''d be all about the push present. I''ve wandered onto pregnancy message boards before out of sheer curiosity and every mention of push presents erupts into rounds of "the baby is enough of a present!" and "that''s ridiculous."

Whether it''s PC to say or not, both the mother and the father get the baby as a "gift" (if that''s how you choose to look at a baby; I tend to think of them as people and not presents). But only the mother was pregnant for 9 months. There''s no we in pregnancy. She went through the symptoms, the risks, and the childbirth. A push present is a token of appreciation for what she''s gone through to make them a family of three. It doesn''t need to be expensive or even jewelry, but I think it''s a nice concept.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
My mom got a sapphire eternity band when I was born in 1976- don''t know why she got blue sapphires for a baby girl, probably because she liked them? She wore the band as an anniversary band w/ her wedding band and e-ring. It make a nice little set- she has since re-set her e-ring and w-band into yellow gold and she gave me the sapphire band... I wonder where it is?

She never referred to it as a "push gift" though- I find that term to be just a little tacky and gauche.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, I have 4 kids and have never heard of a push present before PS. My kids are not very old either (ranges from 3 to 10).

Almost all my friends have kids and none have gotten jewelry with kids either.

He bought me flowers with my first and that was pretty much all I got for all 4 kids. I bunch of flowers for the first one.

In movies you always see the man thanking the woman in the delivery room. Nope, not even that for him. I felt really disspointed that he did not even seem to appreciate the fact that I had just carried and given birth to his children.

If someone can afford it, I think jewelry is a really sweet thing to do.

One day, I''ll have a little chat with my sons and son in laws when they are expecting :)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friend got her engagement diamond reset and a new diamond wedding band. He went to the NYC Diamond district and hand picked the diamonds for the band. That was 9.5 years ago. I think her husband came up with this idea all on his own
36.gif

I am jealous. I didn''t get any jewelry and my husband doesn''t come up with these ideas on his own. Now her MIL is a big jewelry person so I bet that''s where it comes from.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 9:05:36 AM
Author: dtnyc

She never referred to it as a ''push gift'' though- I find that term to be just a little tacky and gauche.

I think it is funny!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Well having pushed 4 kids out, I think its funny too. AND coming from this mom who never got one, I think if you can afford it, the effort is definately deserved of a gift :) The pushing is only the culmination of the discomforts of pregnancy. But then I was not one of those who enjoyed pregnancy, but I adore my kids so it was beyond worth it :)

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the mother should get a ''push present'', labor (and motherhood in general) is hard work! My husband got me a ring and a pair of earrings with our sons birthstone. After the second child, I got a mothers ring with both childrens'' birthstones, and after the third I added her birthstone to the ring.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have some big news for anyone who does not have kids but wants them.

The pushing is the EASY part comparing to parenting those kids you push out LOL.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It think its more prevalent in some cultures that others. I know some women who have gotten jewelry on the birth of a son.... But didn''t know the terms was ''push present'' and frankly everytime I''ve seen it its been tied to a boy baby. I think its nice as a thank you to the mom... regardless of the sex of the baby. But it bugs me as a gift for a boy.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 1:11:00 PM
Author: asscherisme

The pushing is the EASY part comparing to parenting those kids you push out LOL.
Yeah, I''m looking forward to the next big push, out the door.
9.gif

Just kidding!

Kinda.
2.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 1:51:19 PM
Author: Ellen
9.gif
LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!
9.gif

My opinion: Who cares if it''s a tradition???? I think it''s a lovely idea!
30.gif

....and it wouldn''t even necessarily have to break the bank, either.

I''ve always thought a peapod pendant would be cute...like these from Michael Michaud. (I wonder if you could order an ''empty'' one, and then add a pearl, birthstone, or diamond (
31.gif
) "pea" for each new baby...):

widget

MMichaudPds.jpg

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock

Amen to that
9.gif
, and my little one is only 12 wks old
6.gif

Back on topic, I think the idea of a gift for the birth is fantastic
31.gif
. Hubby upgraded my ring and got a matching w-band for the new ring as a combination anniversary and baby gift.

I still haven''t got it though, as it''s in the process of getting made at MWM. I just heard today that it will be ready around mid jan!! Woohoo!!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Ellen, you crack me up.

When my daughter was born, I receved flowers. My hubby went out and bought himself a new stero. What was with that?????
14.gif

Linda

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 4:56:50 PM
Author: Linda W

When my daughter was born, I receved flowers. My hubby went out and bought himself a new stero. What was with that?????
14.gif

LOL...Too funny, Linda!

Show him this thread and shame him into working on an LM colored stone ring for you!
31.gif

widget

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oops, Ellen you said th above, ha ha ha ha ha.

Linda, who can''t read right, better put on my glasses.
14.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

9.gif

Just kidding!

Kinda.
2.gif
Lol! We must have kids near the same age!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 2:19:31 PM
Author: widget

9.gif
LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!
9.gif

My opinion: Who cares if it''s a tradition???? I think it''s a lovely idea!
30.gif

....and it wouldn''t even necessarily have to break the bank, either.

I''ve always thought a peapod pendant would be cute...like these from Michael Michaud. (I wonder if you could order an ''empty'' one, and then add a pearl, birthstone, or diamond (
31.gif
) ''pea'' for each new baby...):

widget
9.gif
Glad you all got a chuckle.

widget, those are adorable!! A pea for each child would be sweet.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2006 8:51:00 PM

2.gif
Yeah, this wasn''t done when I was having kids. I wanna know if I can collect now, kinda like back taxes.
9.gif

ROFL! Ellen, if I was drinking milk when reading this it would be coming out my nose right now this had me laughing so hard! That and the push ''em out the door comment!

Hmm, back taxes - you may just get the biggest honker in the history of PS!!
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 7:36:36 PM
Author: :)

Date: 12/18/2006 8:51:00 PM

2.gif
9.gif

ROFL! Ellen, if I was drinking milk when reading this it would be coming out my nose right now this had me laughing so hard! That and the push ''em out the door comment!

Hmm, back taxes - you may just get the biggest honker in the history of PS!!
9.gif
9.gif

And well I should! Three kids, and all boys no less.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results