shape
carat
color
clarity

Big sectional or two sofas facing each other?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here it is in a couple room settings.

coffee_table_room_1.jpg

coffee_table_room_2.jpg

coffee_table_room_3.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohh I like that table.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the things the sectional vs. two sofas would do is change the focus of the room, i.e., what you're looking at/toward when you're on the couch. The way I'm thinking of this, individual sofas would be oriented north/south, so on one you would be looking at the wall of bookshelves, and on the other you would be looking away from in the direction of the other small seating area (which would be completely separate from this main seating area). But the logical way (IMHO) to orient the sectional is with the smaller back length toward the bookcases and the longer back length toward the brick wall of windows, so you would be looking at/toward the smaller seating area again on the shorter side, but toward the kitchen/dining area (exact placement yet to be determined... ) on the longer side.

I have suddenly developed an aversion to looking at the back of a sofa, which is how this all come about because the back of the sofa away from the bookcases would be very visible. I've also been thinking about what to put behind it (table, etc.) but I am not convinced that's the way to go now.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sectionals are more fun, but 2 sofas plus 2 chairs are going to be easier to design around IMO. Plus, they will almost always be suitable to go to the next place, whereas sectionals can be difficult to place.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the look of sectionals, but I think two sofas are more practical. I think there are more options in terms of set up for two sofas. Two things I don't like about sectionals are that the middle section/corner is kind of wasted space (who sits in the corner?), and when you have guests, it looks like people are crowded too close together. I'd think you'd have to have a very large sectional to not have this problem. Assuming you would given the space you have, that's probably not going to be an issue though, now that I think about it.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
I am confused, are you buying the table pictured in this thread, or the one pictured in another thread, that you said you might attach two together? Do you like the large square silver metal trunk type table on Restoration Hardware? I have seen it used in a living area and it is nice.

I have used two sofas facing and two chairs used in an additional seating group. It was workable and pleasing to my eye. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your new place.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've read through the ideas listed and have changed my mind. I like the idea of the two sofas and a few chairs for extra seating, coffee table in the middle and maybe and end table. For the space behind the couch (since you have an aversion to looking at it, why not a short bookcase (if the back is facing the rest of the room) or a sofa table?

I like the idea of the two sofas and extra chairs for the following reasons:
-- Lots of seating, so when company comes over everyone has a seat. My mom's house has 2 lazyboys, love seat and a chair. SO not enough room when all 6 girls come over with our families (3 of us are married, 2 with kids), most people are sitting on the floor.
--Infinite options to rearrange your living room. Don't care for the couches in an L shape? Move it. Need more space, squish the chairs together or push into the corner.
-- I like to read snuggled up, so the chair would be great, but I also like to snuggle under a blanket on a couch.

:D Either way have fun! :D

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1390957317|3603009 said:
Argh – I was just in the middle of a long post and my computer decided to shut itself off.

Ok, the paperclip is the area where this furniture will go. The wall to the left of the paperclip (just the dark black line that ends, not the entire wall to the bathroom) is 18’ long and will have built in shelving up to 12’, so close to the ceiling.

The wall above the paperclip with the six windows will be brick and is about 45’ long between the two hard walls. (The total length is about 55’ but the narrow area you see on each side is a closet under a staircase).

The “bedroom” will go diagonal from the paperclip. I put “bedroom” in quotes because there won’t be any walls, but this is where the bed will go. I’m not sure yet about the area diagonal from the kitchen, but it will be some sort of loung-y type seating area (probably with two overstuffed chairs I already have). And the dining room table will go in this place somewhere too… yet to be determined…

If I go with the two sofa idea they will be not at all formal. I’m thinking low, deep, some sort of dark grey velvet. And the coffee table(s) are low and chunky with a silvery paint. I can either use one 44” X 44” or combine them for a 44” X 88” version, and that’s what I’m inclined to do.

Ideas!?!?!?!?!?
In this case, two sofas, that way you can have distinct "rooms"

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This feedback has all be very interesting; thank you for helping me mull through this!

To answer the question about the coffee table: Each square table is 44" but because of the configuration you can butt two of them together so the square "cut" pieces will be eight in a row instead of four in a row and it looks pretty seamless. I'll also attach the legs that are next to each other together with pipe ties to keep them solidly abutted. So I'll end up with a table that 44" X 88". And if for some reason I only use one I can turn the other on it's side, remove the legs, and use it as a console table up against a wall or something somewhere else.

At this point I *think* I'm going to go with two separate sofas. That way I can do them across from each other or put them perpendicular. Any thoughts on sofa height though? I have in my head that if I want to be able to put the sofas perpendicular the backs on them have to be super low. Yanno -- sleak and kind of modern (but not SO modern though that they look like they belong in the loung of the Starship Enterprise.) No idea where I got that idea, but now it's stuck. Am I crazy?

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, the table is over $40K. I know, I know, but it's fabulous :bigsmile: DWR did have a mini version where 1 "stump" was turned vertical and it was an end table, of course you could put 4 - 6 together to make a larger coffee table but it would be a bit high. I don't see it on their website either but you can get it from Council.

I've seen the knock off version at Z Gallerie, where I think you found it but damn the original is just so amazing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results