shape
carat
color
clarity

Big sectional or two sofas facing each other?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in furniture buying mode for my new space and I *thought* I had it all figured out... until it was time to actually PICK something!

For year and year and YEARS I have loved the idea of two big deep sofas facing each other with a MASSIVE coffee table in between. But now... with an actual purchase on the horizon... I am second guessing myself. ( :rolleyes: ) I have all the space in the world (the room is 45 feet by 25 feet, give or take) so that's not a factor here.

What do you think?!?

(I can post pics of things that appeal to me if that helps at all.)

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a new sectional a few months ago and just love it.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
We have the two big sofas facing each other and while it's aesthetically pleasing, it feels more formal and makes for an odd space if it's a space that you watch tv in. We have them in a formal living room that never gets used.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need to see the layout of the space.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Floorplan

_14234.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again

_14235.jpg

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
My preference is the two sofas. I have used that set up for years. That is not to say the sectional would not be nice in your space. I will be watching for pictures.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well....I like the sectional idea because I love the corner, however if you move or want to rearrange things, a sectional is a no go you are stuck . So both have their pros and cons. ;-)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Argh – I was just in the middle of a long post and my computer decided to shut itself off.

Ok, the paperclip is the area where this furniture will go. The wall to the left of the paperclip (just the dark black line that ends, not the entire wall to the bathroom) is 18’ long and will have built in shelving up to 12’, so close to the ceiling.

The wall above the paperclip with the six windows will be brick and is about 45’ long between the two hard walls. (The total length is about 55’ but the narrow area you see on each side is a closet under a staircase).

The “bedroom” will go diagonal from the paperclip. I put “bedroom” in quotes because there won’t be any walls, but this is where the bed will go. I’m not sure yet about the area diagonal from the kitchen, but it will be some sort of loung-y type seating area (probably with two overstuffed chairs I already have). And the dining room table will go in this place somewhere too… yet to be determined…

If I go with the two sofa idea they will be not at all formal. I’m thinking low, deep, some sort of dark grey velvet. And the coffee table(s) are low and chunky with a silvery paint. I can either use one 44” X 44” or combine them for a 44” X 88” version, and that’s what I’m inclined to do.

Ideas!?!?!?!?!?

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
We have the 2 sofa type set up by our fireplace and it is wonderful for conversation, reading, relaxing.
We have a big sectional in the tv room which my daughter loves -- If we did not have a child and I had to choose one set up, I'd go for the conversation area. If tv will be the main activity -- Maybe go for the sectional.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the sectionals but as has been pointed out, the placement is somewhat limiting. I think I'd rather have two large comfy sofas facing each other. It's easier for conversation and seats more people. I'd rather look across from someone than down the sofa to have conversation. The coffee table in the center is great too; can provide a footrest or a place to sit your wineglass!

I think this is going to be a neat living space!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Will the blonde dog be living on the dark gray sofas? I think they sound lovely but wondered about the dog hair showing up on the dark velvet. Not trying to tell you what to do just curious.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just two quick things (I have to run some paperwork around for a client and then I'll come back and answer everyone properly).

No TV so that's not an issue. Just lots of lounging around, drinking wine (note to self: Scotchgard!!!), and cruising PS.

The Demon is NOT allowed on any furniture except the bed. (So yes... he will clearly be up here the moment I am out the door and he thinks he can get away with it. But I don't mind. And the good news is Oscar has darker so his hair won't show as much.)

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like you have it under control.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1390957317|3603009 said:
Argh – I was just in the middle of a long post and my computer decided to shut itself off.

Ok, the paperclip is the area where this furniture will go. The wall to the left of the paperclip (just the dark black line that ends, not the entire wall to the bathroom) is 18’ long and will have built in shelving up to 12’, so close to the ceiling.

The wall above the paperclip with the six windows will be brick and is about 45’ long between the two hard walls. (The total length is about 55’ but the narrow area you see on each side is a closet under a staircase).

The “bedroom” will go diagonal from the paperclip. I put “bedroom” in quotes because there won’t be any walls, but this is where the bed will go. I’m not sure yet about the area diagonal from the kitchen, but it will be some sort of loung-y type seating area (probably with two overstuffed chairs I already have). And the dining room table will go in this place somewhere too… yet to be determined…

If I go with the two sofa idea they will be not at all formal. I’m thinking low, deep, some sort of dark grey velvet. And the coffee table(s) are low and chunky with a silvery paint. I can either use one 44” X 44” or combine them for a 44” X 88” version, and that’s what I’m inclined to do.

Ideas!?!?!?!?!?

My two facing sofas are not formal at all either - they are comfy, squishy, deep, with a sort olive-colored velvety material. It's not the actual sofas that gives mine a formal feel - I think that it's the set-up.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like sectionals. We're pretty informal here, and we have a small living room tho, so that might make a difference. Not that we have a sectional b/c of how things sit in this room. They do have sectionals that you can configure on your own, that come apart, in case of needing to rearrange.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for the 2 big sofas facing each other with the big table in-between - wish I had room for this configuration!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I have a sectional, but recently pulled it apart and spaced it on a diagonal, which is a nice change. It's good to have options, which a sectional offers.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I'm torn. I love my sectional, but that space would really lend itself to the 2 sofas facing each other. I just have one question - would the sofas be identical?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
This response is from the woman who owns arguably the largest denim sectional in the western hemisphere, if it is just a lounging area to be used for computer, convo, wine, and cuddles, I'd go with the dual sofas. I love our sectional, but it is all about getting the best view of the tv. Good luck. Even when the mind is made up, I've found the "what ifs" are so seductive to listen to.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have kids, sectional...

jess719

Shiny_Rock
100% vote for the two sofas facing each other! My parents have a brand new sectional, and although it's pretty, I don't care to sit on it.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm the odd duck on this one. I would opt for 1 plushy comfy sofa positioned to face the wall. On the wall side (with the shelves), I'd put two plushy comfy chairs. The sofa (with or without a sofa table behind it) would serve somewhat as a wall lending separation to the bedroom space. With the chairs rather than another sofa, you get more flexibility in seating arrangements and a less constrained space. Two sofas, even in such a large open room, may feel static and give the feeling you are imprisoned by furniture.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the two facing each other.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
How about 2 sofas perpendicular to each other (like a sectional, but with some space, and a table in between), and 2 occasional chairs across from one sofa. You can rearrange if you want.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I vote two couches. I find sectionals really limiting. You end up with them being stuck in one position, but two two or three seaters can be moved around. They can be formal or casual, depending on the furniture and the surrounds. I also feel that sectionals can be a touch dated but that's perhaps because I haven't really considered them since the 90s...?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
For family use where you want to be close a sectional for company use 2 sofas.
To be honest I sometimes get uncomfortable on a sectional with everyone piled on when at someones house.
I like space and not being that close to people other than my wifey.
The 2 sofa plan gives people more room to spread out.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Two sectionals facing each other (I don't like the room/furniture, just posted for the furniture layout).

two_sectionals.png

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I would do 2 sofas opposite each other or possibly 2 to form an L shape with a 1 - 2 lounge chairs at the other open corner. I saw your comment/description about coffee table and this one came to mind. I am in love with this table :love: :love:

I like individual sofas more than a sectional because you have more room for side tables, ya know, for wine glasses and all :naughty:

councildesign_tables_periodic_lrg_01.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I'm back!

Asschergirl, it's too funny you posted that pic because that is the inspiration that the coffee table I am buying came from. That original though is MUCH MUCH MUCH money (I can't remember how much, but I do remember gasping out loud when I read it!). The one I like is only $800, so a significant improvement!

coffee_table.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results