shape
carat
color
clarity

Big Problemo with setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
So I went to the jewelry store with my stone thinking that I would be ordering the Simon G. setting I''ve had my eye on the past 3 months and it looks as though now it''s not going to work!
33.gif

In order to accomodate the 3-4 carat prong head they said Simon G. would have to alter the bridge and that makes everything moved over 1mm. The bezel set side stones would move over and since I only have a size 5 ring size, the side stones would be covered by the inner part of my finger. That definitely wouldn''t be too comfortable.
29.gif

You can see what it looks like from a pervious thread of "my pear sapphire"
I looked through the whole store and didn''t find anything with a removable head that would accomodate a 3-4 carat pear head. I don''t know what to do!!?? My only suggestion was to shop at rodieoDr. where you would have plently of rings to accomodate large rocks, but b/f didn''t like that idea too much
27.gif

I really never thought I''d have this problem
Now I''m stuck at square one again with finding a setting. I think maybe what''s going to happen is that b/f is going to go behind my back and make a custom setting and incorporate everything I like into a ring.

What has anyone else done if they''ve run into this problem??

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Go custom. Find a good jewler to replicate what you want.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep, go custom. don''t give up your dream just yet. there are good people around, its just a matter of finding them.

movie zombie

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the setting in question. I do agree that going custom could be the way to go in order to get this ring made to your stone in the way you want it. But definitely use someone you know is good with custom -- it can be a hairy experience if you don''t!!

sgpicmf.jpg

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, I think he will, my boyfriend isn''t one to play on the computer though, he wants to see everything in the flesh. I couldn''t get platinum though, Gemsmith rings start out at $2k in plat.! Is that expensive for someone who knows what they''re doing? I don''t know what he''s going to do, get he tells me I''m cut off from this point on because I stress over it so much.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
how about getting Simon to get rid of the little round on the end of the pear?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
2k is not expensive for someone who knows what they''re doing. I also thought about telling you to think about having Simon G remove the rounds at the end of the pears, but I really like them. Don''t know about you, but I''d want them there! Still, it''s something to consider if you just want Simon G to do this.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/27/2006 11:35:45 AM
Author: FireGoddess
2k is not expensive for someone who knows what they''re doing. I also thought about telling you to think about having Simon G remove the rounds at the end of the pears, but I really like them. Don''t know about you, but I''d want them there! Still, it''s something to consider if you just want Simon G to do this.

All,

Going custom won''t change the laws of math and physics: there''s only a certain amount of "top room" to work with for any given finger size. I run into this problem constantly.

You can do two things: select a smaller center stone that won''t require bridge alterations (probably not the choice you''ll want to make!) or change the design by either making the side stones smaller or eliminating the rounds.

I know it''s disappointing to learn a design you''ve dreamed of may not work. But rings are essentially a form of apparel and one design does not fit all. Scaling these challenges out with an experienced jeweler at the beginning of projects like this can eliminate lots of unhappiness and expense.

Richard M.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
THat''s my other problem, the pear sides are only 7.5pts each and the 3.17 carat sapphire already over powers them, so to make the side smaller wouldn''t work either. I think the pear would also over-lap on to the sides also.

My other problem is that I can''t take the center stone back it''s paid in full already and I don''t think I''m going to find a center stone with also every aspect perfect like this one. I was told to buy the colored stone first, then worry about the setting, but it''s not working out this way either.

I believe Simon G makes a setting that big and chunky with pear sides

Simon G | Catalog LP1909 but it''s pricey in platinum, wouols have to go with 14k gold
what do you think? Not very traditional engagementy, but it fits the stone in proportion more

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2006 2:02:08 PM
Author: MustangFan
THat''s my other problem, the pear sides are only 7.5pts each and the 3.17 carat sapphire already over powers them, so to make the side smaller wouldn''t work either. I think the pear would also over-lap on to the sides also.

My other problem is that I can''t take the center stone back it''s paid in full already and I don''t think I''m going to find a center stone with also every aspect perfect like this one. I was told to buy the colored stone first, then worry about the setting, but it''s not working out this way either.

I believe Simon G makes a setting that big and chunky with pear sides

Simon G | Catalog LP1909 but it''s pricey in platinum, wouols have to go with 14k gold
what do you think? Not very traditional engagementy, but it fits the stone in proportion more
it is always a tradeoff, MustangFan! if you are dead set on one and only one setting then that drives what stone you can buy regarding stone size. if you''re dead set on getting a particular size stone and/or want a great color [which usually means increased size] then that drives the setting. something has to give in either case because what Richard stated is so very very true: there is only so much room and if one has a small finger then that reduces the amount of real estate for stones.

personally, i think you have a lot of room to play with the ring: removal of some smaller diamonds, remove the rounds [ i think it makes the ring look busy but that''s only my opinon ''cause most seem to like them], and/or i''ve seen rings where the center stone was raised higher and the side stones sort of nestle a bit under either side allowing for more diamonds on the actual band. this does raise the center stone but allows for more stones overall.

of concern: you already think the center stone which you love over powers the setting....perhaps its not the right setting? while you may love the setting, if you love your stone more, you''ll find a way to make a ring that you love in the end. personal opinion: a good center stone doesn''t need a lot of glitter/business as it can hold its own. while your pear isn''t huge, it is substantially big and can hold its own. if you want the glitter, perhaps the wedding band could provide that?

movie zombie

ps i can sort of relate to this problem. part of the reason it took me so long to finish my spess project was that my stone was so huge.....but i loved it! it was the stone i wanted! once i saw it i knew it was what i wanted! but it was a personal hell deciding how to get it set. luckily, i wasn''t in love with a particular setting and had lots of time to ''find my style''.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MF: I'm sure your sapphire is just stunning, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished ring. As to getting to that point...

Have you considered ditching the pears and going with just 2 rounds? You indicated that the sapphire already overwhelms the pears. If you use rounds instead of pears, you would be able to fit in larger stones (carat-weight) overall. Trilliants are another option... I think you could fit in much larger trilliants than pear-shaped stones, and they'd probably hold their own against the sapphire a bit better. Since your sapphire probably has a fair amount of depth, adding the diamond bling to whatever prongs or bridge is holding the center stone is another option. I suspect this would be a more costly route though. (I also think that this option will turn out to be a trend much as "bridge" settings date a ring back to the early 90's. Of course that doesn't matter if you love your ring!)

And do check with other jewelers, in case the one you went to just wasn't used to dealing with larger stones...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results