shape
carat
color
clarity

Big, glowy and included tsavorite... To buy or not?

Buy or don’t buy?

• Buy, love it

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • No way, yucks

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Office lighting with the rubellite.
63DC39A9-40B9-4AFC-AB0D-697F034D995C.jpeg

It kills the OCD part of me a little that it isn’t perfectly square :lol:

Those paraiba cabs are tdf...

No and no. Didn’t see any comparable emerald in the store. But an emerald will cost far more ya?
No, not really, for the same face up size, and clarity. Tsavorite is much denser than emerald, so a medium toned three carat moderately included Chivor emerald will probably face up nearly the same size, and cost around the same amount. Emeralds are treated though. The tsavorite may not be, but I think they look very different. I should take a pic of my Chivor stone next to my paler tsavorite. Everything is in the bank right now. My tsavorite cabochon even looks different in color next to my Chivor. I would say a bluish green paraiba is more like a Chivor emerald in color.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
So I asked my regular jeweller and he was shocked by the price - conclusion: price is too high. I tend to believe him as I’d seen a yellow unheated sapphire that wasn’t as good quality wise as mine (imho) but close in price to mine.

So looks like this stone is a no go but I’ve asked him to keep an eye out for glowy big tsavs (included to keep price down) for me.

Just curious because most jewelers I've dealt with are diamond experts, and that's it. Did he say he can find a similar tsav for less $? :think: It's huuuge.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Idk why everyone thinks $4.5k is too high for that tsav. As someone recently shopping for and buying 2 ct + tsavs, $4.5k looks to me like a good deal for a 5 ct tsav of that color with those inclusions. The eyeclean tsavorites I saw of any color at that size were at least $15k, and with nice color like that more like $25-35k. If I’m remembering the prices correctly which I think I am because they were shocking to me, lol.

My 3 ct included stone of much worse color was around $2k, for reference, from Prima Gem. And prices rise very steeply for 4+ cts.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Idk why everyone thinks $4.5k is too high for that tsav. As someone recently shopping for and buying 2 ct + tsavs, $4.5k looks to me like a good deal for a 5 ct tsav of that color with those inclusions. The eyeclean tsavorites I saw of any color at that size were at least $15k, and with nice color like that more like $25-35k. If I’m remembering the prices correctly which I think I am because they were shocking to me, lol.

My 3 ct included stone of much worse color was around $2k, for reference, from Prima Gem. And prices rise very steeply for 4+ cts.

It depends on the inclusions. That stone is so included, it looks sleepy. Some tsavorite are included, but still sparkle. I mentioned cabochons because typically such large included material is often made into cabochons, and I posted an example of a very affordable one over 3 carats. The fact of the matter is that it’s not difficult to find large tsavorite, the rarity is large clean tsavorite. I think $1k/carat is fair though for that size, but you get more bang for your buck with a cabochon.

Even on AJSgems website, they have an 8+ carat stone for $1200/carat, and it’s a beautiful gem. It looks cleaner than the faceted gem, but I could be wrong. AJS is not known for bargains either.

However, if the OP loves the color that much, then it may be worth it to her to sacrifice such poor clarity.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Everyone, a reminder that trade members may NOT comment on items for sale, period. Please keep that in mind as I have removed a number of posts from Trade Members in Colored Stones recently that violate this policy.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
From what I’ve read anything above 3 ct is fairly rare and 5 ct and above extremely rare? I usually see <3 ct stones (but eye clean and “trade ideal” types). So seeing this 5 ct was a bit of a surprise and the inclusions and glow threw me off tbh.

I do like both stones in diff ways. I’m usually less of an objective thinker and more of a go by gut feel type when it comes to baubles/bling. I mean, I’m honestly at this point when I don’t need another ring right? Bought my recent tsav as I thought I might feel quite sick if it got sold, something which I didn’t feel in the past for other tsavs. Could be that I like this setting. Honestly don’t know why this particular tsavs and not the others.

849FAD6B-0518-47C4-A179-86B7CD0A8BD6.jpeg

sorry to correct you
but yes, we do all need another ring ! :lol:
follow your heart on this one
do you love it ?
i personally loooooooioive the glowiness of it :kiss2::lickout::appl:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I guess time (and the market) will tell what happens to these less-than-perfect Tsavs. I feel fairly confident there will never be as many Tsavs than there are Emeralds, even if many new sites are found in the future. If we can forgive inclusions in Emerald why not these rare, large Tsavs? Just my thoughts.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly hope Gene didn't get into too much trouble I wanted to ask some additional questions but I'll refrain. :silenced: Still, I find the price to be high for such a light colored included tsav.

Yes its pretty, I won't deny that, but I still feel like its a bit too included at that price but thats my personal feeling.

Last tsav I bought close to 4 years ago. 45 dollars almost 1.50 cts. I'm not even kidding and it wasn't cooked to death nor was it yellow. Its got an AGL brief. Is it included? yeah a little but for the price no ishts given!! :dance: Less than Ideal color? sure but its vibrant and pretty. That was a lucky break though and I realize that (I've had more than a few in my time.)

Stuff like this is like a car, there's a diminished return after a while unless you go into "museum pieces".

If you're (general you) the type of person thats "OK" with lots of inclusions in material that typically doesn't have lots of eye visible ones, thats an individual decision and to each their own.

My negbag is because I don't think people should be blind to it. Gems are sold at whatever price the market will bear, and jewelry is always emotional purchase for 99.999% of us.

Far as that goes I would never talk someone out of a gem they want. Again, its pretty and if it speaks to her, she should get it. Considering I'll be buying (stupidly so) another set of diamond earrings for my birtday, I have no room to wag my finger at anyone:naughty: But an opinion was asked and you know what they say about opinions right?

If OP is just looking for something that would be fun to wear and its not busting her budget, then sure, get it or at least keep it on the short list to see what else is out there. it can be fun for ring or pendant, and hey, its not my money.:$$):

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess time (and the market) will tell what happens to these less-than-perfect Tsavs. I feel fairly confident there will never be as many Tsavs than there are Emeralds, even if many new sites are found in the future. If we can forgive inclusions in Emerald why not these rare, large Tsavs? Just my thoughts.
Well clean emeralds are extremely rare, and when they are clean, they’re $$$$$$$$. Emerald is always being compared to tsavorite, but imho, they’re very different. I think included tsavorite is fine, I own a beautiful 4 carat included cabochon myself, but the clean material will always go up much more in value. I’m astounded at the prices on clean tsavorite now, and who knows, it may catch up to emerald, like red spinel is catching up to ruby. They’re just not as well known.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Office lighting with the rubellite.
63DC39A9-40B9-4AFC-AB0D-697F034D995C.jpeg

It kills the OCD part of me a little that it isn’t perfectly square :lol:

Those paraiba cabs are tdf...

No and no. Didn’t see any comparable emerald in the store. But an emerald will cost far more ya?

I don't know if this is any consolation but none of the rest of us can see it isn't perfectly square. It just looks glowy from the photo.

I can only see you winning if wriston can source another one for less. It is quite included, and he has excellent sources so it is definitely worth a shot seeing what he can come up with.
Lol I may also have alterior motives, as I am looking forward to the stream of pretty pictures this'll generate!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Did he say he can find a similar tsav for less $? :think: It's huuuge.

He said he sold a big one with better color and much less $$$ last year. Gonna ask if he has pics but since I’ve seen 12 ct sapphires at his place (heck even my yellow sapphire is 7 ct right) so I believe him. Doesn’t always diss my purchases either - told me my mahenge was a total steal given typical market prices.

I bought my recent 2.39 ct tsav with ring setting for around $3k, clean and ‘vivid green’. Hope that’s a good price? :confused:

From what I understand, non-trade ideal colors (ie the paler colors like this one) and included stones with inclusions should be much cheaper so I’m hopeful! From past conversations, I think he doesn’t usually bring in included stones as his typical clients prefer clean stones but I guess he can make an exception for me? :P2 Just wary re: color... I usually only see ‘vivid green’ tsavs which I suspect can’t be as glowy. But the Singapore market seems to lean strongly to trade ideal colors so I guess that’s why.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I honestly hope Gene didn't get into too much trouble I wanted to ask some additional questions but I'll refrain. :silenced: Still, I find the price to be high for such a light colored included tsav.

Yes its pretty, I won't deny that, but I still feel like its a bit too included at that price but thats my personal feeling.

Last tsav I bought close to 4 years ago. 45 dollars almost 1.50 cts. I'm not even kidding and it wasn't cooked to death nor was it yellow. Its got an AGL brief. Is it included? yeah a little but for the price no ishts given!! :dance: Less than Ideal color? sure but its vibrant and pretty. That was a lucky break though and I realize that (I've had more than a few in my time.)

Stuff like this is like a car, there's a diminished return after a while unless you go into "museum pieces".

If you're (general you) the type of person thats "OK" with lots of inclusions in material that typically doesn't have lots of eye visible ones, thats an individual decision and to each their own.

My negbag is because I don't think people should be blind to it. Gems are sold at whatever price the market will bear, and jewelry is always emotional purchase for 99.999% of us.

Far as that goes I would never talk someone out of a gem they want. Again, its pretty and if it speaks to her, she should get it. Considering I'll be buying (stupidly so) another set of diamond earrings for my birtday, I have no room to wag my finger at anyone:naughty: But an opinion was asked and you know what they say about opinions right?

If OP is just looking for something that would be fun to wear and its not busting her budget, then sure, get it or at least keep it on the short list to see what else is out there. it can be fun for ring or pendant, and hey, its not my money.:$$):

My budget isn’t unlimited so I’m prepared to walk away if it’s overpriced. It’s not a small amount of money to imo so no, even if I really like it.

I always do find it helpful to ask for opinions to buy or not you know? It’s like having a team of wise counsellors :mrgreen2: Sure beats me googling the heck out of tsav and still undecided after everything. Plus I’ve been saved from some impulsive buys because I posted and asked for opinions :P2

What did Gene comment on @Arcadian? I’m dying to know...

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if this is any consolation but none of the rest of us can see it isn't perfectly square. It just looks glowy from the photo.

I can only see you winning if wriston can source another one for less. It is quite included, and he has excellent sources so it is definitely worth a shot seeing what he can come up with.
Lol I may also have alterior motives, as I am looking forward to the stream of pretty pictures this'll generate!

I’m ocd like that. I can spot non-aligned lines on everything and I’ve to consciously ignore such things. Imagine me during reno and moaning that the tiles aren’t perfectly straight :lol:

I’ll be visiting him this week so yeah more pretty pics if you are interested.

Or you can visit him too :twisted2:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m ocd like that. I can spot non-aligned lines on everything and I’ve to consciously ignore such things. Imagine me during reno and moaning that the tiles aren’t perfectly straight :lol:

I’ll be visiting him this week so yeah more pretty pics if you are interested.

Or you can visit him too :twisted2:

Oh pictures please :dance:, I live vicariously through your trips to gem fares and jewellers (I have no idea why but I am away every time there is a fare so I've never been, and I am usually not zen enough to stop by the jewellers).

Lol I have been known to use a TV as a clothes rack and then get surprised a week or so later when someone pointed out my hotel room had a TV. I literally walk right over the top of/right past something and never see it, unless I am deliberately looking out for it (and then I can't shut it out, or unsee it.). But I am neurotic about ideas and concepts. If there is a chink in it then I can't just let it go, I have to completely crack it open before I'll put it down (I also sit there and twitch as I listen to people selfcontradict themselves or lose self consistency. I look like I am choking on my own tounge listening to it.).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My budget isn’t unlimited so I’m prepared to walk away if it’s overpriced. It’s not a small amount of money to imo so no, even if I really like it.

I always do find it helpful to ask for opinions to buy or not you know? It’s like having a team of wise counsellors :mrgreen2: Sure beats me googling the heck out of tsav and still undecided after everything. Plus I’ve been saved from some impulsive buys because I posted and asked for opinions :P2

What did Gene comment on @Arcadian? I’m dying to know...

He made a comment on the stone with a baseline prices based on the picture. I had it in DRAFT mode because i was gonna respond and ask some questions (I got pulled away) by then the post got pulled. So I didn't post it because I didn't want Gene to get into any trouble (I would have gotten a hand slap too I'm sure) I personally don't feel it crossed a line that he commented but trade folks have different rules than we do.

Anyway it might still be worth to short list it but continuing to look.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok Wriston is very efficient. 5 ct that I will see tmr. His camera is crappy (I’m always nagging at him to upgrade his phone :P2:cool2:) so need to see but it isn’t glowy and looks dark to me.

He say it looks like emerald irl :confused:

133DD58F-9FE4-497F-A337-2F9F34F3C8F6.jpeg D158D0FA-FC5B-48CB-80DF-942B57CB7A4B.jpeg

Price is... should be around 1.7k. For a 5 ct included tsav o_O

So how? Buy or not?

Edit: I think yes if I love it when I see in person. Ha

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
He made a comment on the stone with a baseline prices based on the picture. I had it in DRAFT mode because i was gonna respond and ask some questions (I got pulled away) by then the post got pulled. So I didn't post it because I didn't want Gene to get into any trouble (I would have gotten a hand slap too I'm sure) I personally don't feel it crossed a line that he commented but trade folks have different rules than we do.

Anyway it might still be worth to short list it but continuing to look.

Ok then too bad that I missed his comment sad :((

Thank you

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We wait for proper pics with baited breath Icy!

It looks very dark in the picture! Hope it turns out at that price!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@mellowyellowgirl
Ok heard from someone else who has seen it that it’s not glowy. So hopes a bit dashed but ok I will go n see other stuff too. :P2

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl
Ok heard from someone else who has seen it that it’s not glowy. So hopes a bit dashed but ok I will go n see other stuff too. :P2

Take pics for us! Any pics! Random pics!

Pink for me! I am swearing off green! Too many greens!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl
Take a million pics! And does this jewleer have a website? I'm always admiring your stuff :)

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
What do you think of this 5ct tsav?

Screenshot_2019-09-25-22-44-20-604_com.tencent.mm.jpg

If you're on WeChat, seller is justgemv.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lilith112 maybe the light source but, to me looks to be the color of Burmese peridot than tsavorite to me. There are some tell tale signs that gives it away that its not a peridot of course, but colorwise they're yellow leaning.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Take a million pics! And does this jewleer have a website? I'm always admiring your stuff :)

He has fb (link) but he doesn’t post everything and he doesn’t take good pics or photoshop them nicely

You should see some of the gems from his suppliers... sometimes he sends pics or videos to me and I’m dying cos they are so pretty but I cannot buy unless I strike lottery - like imperial jade, hot pinks or huge sapphires. But ok it’s like getting an education on quality gem or just to admire beautiful stuff :love: (he also knows I can’t afford but send for me to admire haha)

I usually WhatsApp with him to check what’s new etc.

What do you think of this 5ct tsav?

Update:
Okok ignore below. Somehow your pic didn’t load earlier and I didn’t see your pic.

——-
First impressions: dark and not glowy, so not smitten. But I will still need to see irl since I know he doesn’t take nice pics

But overall quite happy cos it’s true can find cheaper big tsavs

Example of what he sends to me:
Screenshot from video
7E774EE2-97BA-4566-85C4-C1351E977350.png
Like huh just dark right

Pics I take:
4EA98752-1CAB-4465-A0A8-5346460D3291.jpeg A917C834-834A-41B3-8B18-BFA1DA529C47.jpeg AC06435E-328D-48A5-96E4-8B0BFDBF3727.jpeg 60EB8B25-96CB-4626-B0EE-9319E63DC7B2.jpeg 1B0F4674-5B6C-40DE-9C19-F6F161D510B2.jpeg

So based on experience I can usually expect the gems to be a bit nicer irl vs his pics or videos. Sort of like reverse from many online sellers

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@Lilith112 maybe the light source but, to me looks to be the color of Burmese peridot than tsavorite to me. There are some tell tale signs that gives it away that its not a peridot of course, but colorwise they're yellow leaning.

Whoops is the WeChat seller. Mmm I like the shape. Color I cannot read from pic. That’s why I prefer to buy irl. But don’t think is within my budget...

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock

Just realized I misread the Chinese and it's actually Russian demantoid...sorry about that! Please disregard this suggestion then lo.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Just realized I misread the Chinese and it's actually Russian demantoid...sorry about that! Please disregard this suggestion then lo.

Wah ok definitely cannot afford unless I strike lottery. :lol:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the hue.
Question: if included spessartines can be recut in brilliant/concave way, can the same be done with a tsavorite?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results