shape
carat
color
clarity

BIG between-fingers opal/emerald/spinel/paraiba ring: CAD & thoughts?

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
So, I had this crazy idea to make a humongous drama-queen very-impractical ring out of a few colored stones I'd accumulated over many years which didn't feel quite dramatic enough on their own. Stones are a big Ethiopian opal, a step-cut Luc Yen spinel, an emerald-cut Colombian emerald, a step-cut diamond, and a few little paraibas I just bought to fill in the cracks.

Here they are on the hand (except the paraibas, those went straight to David Klass from desertrose_gems on Instagram). I love, love, love the colors together.
PXL_20220905_232210092.MP.jpg

And, here's a scale mockup of my plan (best I could do in PowerPoint). I put those pave half-moons around to unify the two sides. Ring will be rose gold.
1668623988937.png

David and I have gone back and forth a couple times on this CAD and I think it looks pretty good, but wanted thoughts -- especially from people who have between-the-fingers rings. I have no idea how cumbersome/uncomfortable this might be and/or whether there are some structural changes, gallery changes, etc which would make it more easy to wear (accepting it will never be a comfy ring, ha!).
DK 86126-QUAD-4.jpg

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• PXL_20221027_210837841.jpg
    PXL_20221027_210837841.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 25

lovetodream

Shiny_Rock
Well, I have no expert knowledge to provide for you, but I did want to comment that you are going to have a SUPER COOL RING. I love its originality, the colors - just all of it. I hope others tell you you're on the right track because esthetically, you're totally on the right track! Can't wait to see it posted.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I have no expert knowledge to provide for you, but I did want to comment that you are going to have a SUPER COOL RING. I love its originality, the colors - just all of it. I hope others tell you you're on the right track because esthetically, you're totally on the right track! Can't wait to see it posted.

Thanks so much!!! I'm pretty psyched... Turns out I'm really a size/drama snob with some fragility anxiety... So a cluster approach with stones that need special babying somehow feels perfect. I have had some of these for over 5 years, unable to figure out a plan, until I impulse-bought this opal at a bead show (out of a bin, basically, it wasn't expensive and while beautiful it's officially nothing very special in the world of Ethiopian opals) that pulled them all together.

This is so unbelievable cool! It's celestial as all get out, which I love. I'd wear that thing PROUDLY with everything from a t-shirt and jeans to a ball gown. Can't wait to see it finished!!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Ah curses I wrote out a nice long reply and then lost it.

The gist was, moving the motifs a hair closer like @Bron357 suggested might help it feel more firmly "on", @GliderPoss good call on that; any other ideas to help? The motifs are currently 2.5mm apart, and I can go down to 1.5mm I think.

How do the shapes of the moons strike you? I was just plotting how to make it feel more solid, and realized that they're kinda almost-the-same-but-not-quite-enough, maybe? The curvature and width are different and I think they need to be more different, rather than more-the-same, maybe shrinking the R-side moon a little??

@diamondyes , @Autumn in New England , @elle_71125 -- thanks so much, I am really excited to have a plan that feels right for these stones :D and the external validation that other people think this is cool, and not too far off-the-wall, too! :lol:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seeing only the first photo, my vote was to skip the little Asscher but that's just me. The other two stones really seem to echo the opal hues. Not sure why that one pulls so blue in the other photos.

But when you add in the Paraibas, I agree you need another gap-filler on the right.

EDIT: it's a really cool idea, you have good raw materials, and it'll be hard to go wrong.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea if such rings are comfortable to wear, but that will be an absolute knockout - love your combination of colors, its elegance and the ways the crescents embrace it all. Work of art!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And after another look, I’d consider rotating the opal slightly inwardly (top part to the right) and likewise rotating the other side (bottom part to the left).

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Seeing only the first photo, my vote was to skip the little Asscher but that's just me. The other two stones really seem to echo the opal hues. Not sure why that one pulls so blue in the other photos.

But when you add in the Paraibas, I agree you need another gap-filler on the right.

EDIT: it's a really cool idea, you have good raw materials, and it'll be hard to go wrong.

It's an F color, I think it's just not lined up well in the hand photo -- hopefully won't really look blue but will add sparkle that looks different than the pave on the moons! Thanks!

@minousbijoux I'm entirely expecting it to feel dreadful on my hand, but being constantly aware of it will help keep me from crashing it into things and smashing the stones! Like many women, I've been well trained to compromise comfort for beauty when it suits me, and I'm really looking forward to wearing it and feeling fully fabulous.

And after another look, I’d consider rotating the opal slightly inwardly (top part to the right) and likewise rotating the other side (bottom part to the left).

Ooh, I like that idea. I'm not sure it'll make sense dimensionally -- the more I cover up the adjacent fingers, the more the ring will interfere with movement -- but I'll see what David thinks!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG I can't wait to see this on your hand! I love everything about it. Great use of those smaller gems you've collected!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I also can't wait to see this, I have no sage wisdom about construction or comfort but I love the idea of it and the color/stone combination is spectacular. I've been checking for updates. This is going to be such an amazing art piece! :love:

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I adore between the finger rings and this one is going to be spectacular!! I just wanted to add another point of view. The stones don’t necessarily need to be closer together for a comfortable fit, it’s all down to the setting of your stones. Take a look at this thread https://www.pricescope.com/communit...toi-et-moi-ring-6-years-in-the-making.274650/

I have also been lucky enough to try this ring on and it is very secure. The owner really wanted to keep that negative space between her stones to get the look she wanted. I would also recommend popping into your local van cleef and arpels shop and trying on some of their between the finger rings. The stones are quite far apart yet the rings feel very sturdy and well made.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
@RosieR I HEART EYES LOVE that ring. It is one of the most incredible on PS, and the use of negative space really makes you take a second (and third and fourth and...) look. DK sent back CADs with the closer-together look and I barely can tell it's different but after looking at the dimensions on the CAD it actually does make the ring more symmetrical to move the opal side a little inwards. This is going to be a much bulkier piece than Pomelo's elegant ring, so I think shrinking the space between has positive implications for comfort too. But I'm kinda into open rings now and I love the idea of someday having a widely-spaced ring like hers, so I'm glad you hear it really does feel comfortable and secure!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results