shape
carat
color
clarity

Big Bad Brooch Project

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
As some of you know, I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer this summer, and it’s a big adjustment. I’m starting to get my head wrapped around it, and live my life as much as possible. However chemo brain is real!

I have long admired/coveted @Neptune‘s brooch conversion bracelet, although it is of course OOAK like @Neptune. It is quite the inspiration, though I don’t want to copy it exactly. Hope she doesn’t mind providing inspo!

When I saw this brooch pop up on Dolly’s IG, I slobbered then pounced. It’s now at DK’s and his first comment is that it’s quite large, and going to be difficult to safely bend.

I am going to ask about pulling the stones and remounting after bending. Does anyone have a better idea? I really want to rock a bold cuff. IMG_7807.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1739.png
    IMG_1739.png
    893.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_7860.png
    IMG_7860.png
    598.4 KB · Views: 111

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous.

removing the stones then bending made sense to me -
until I saw those calibre and how they are set.

will you lose the delicate ness of both the calibre setting and the cut out filigree shapings, after the bend and resetting and whatever that entails for the calibre ‘channels’?

will the curve for a bangle be at a continuous radius, or be varied? If it’s varied - how does that effect the overall look of (again) the calibre and the cut out filigree shapes?

No solution ideas, sorry to say.

Leigh10

Shiny_Rock
First of all - I hope you make a complete and speedy recovery.
Second - the brooch is FABULOUS! And a BOLD BLING cuff sounds perfect...
Thought to consider... don't try to bend it or set it horizontal. Set it vertical with a tapering/narrowing cuff (like the Wonder Woman you are beating cancer!)

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous.

removing the stones then bending made sense to me -
until I saw those calibre and how they are set.

will you lose the delicate ness of both the calibre setting and the cut out filigree shapings, after the bend and resetting and whatever that entails for the calibre ‘channels’?

will the curve for a bangle be at a continuous radius, or be varied? If it’s varied - how does that effect the overall look of (again) the calibre and the cut out filigree shapes?

No solution ideas, sorry to say.

Thanks, @Rfisher Always value your input.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
First of all - I hope you make a complete and speedy recovery.
Second - the brooch is FABULOUS! And a BOLD BLING cuff sounds perfect...
Thought to consider... don't try to bend it or set it horizontal. Set it vertical with a tapering/narrowing cuff (like the Wonder Woman you are beating cancer!)

That could work! It’s 4” long. Great idea

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
OMG you bought that. Wowzers!! DK said it going to be difficult; did he say impossible?

I also don't have a solution :( But man is that thing blingtastic...

No just hard. But still need to take his input. Also going to ask Grace if she has any ideas.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If DK says it will be difficult to bend, that would scare me as it sounds like it could be risky. It's so beautiful, I'd hate to think it ended up damaged. I think the vertical idea sounds interesting if your arm can handle the 4 inches. Maybe a mock up could be done to see what that would look like?

I was going to suggest setting it vertically and then saw @Leigh10 beat me to it :D

It’s a stunning piece. I would do a swoopy tapered bracelet/cuff (I mean something closed loop, I don’t know what the right word is), but not too tapered, else it’ll be uncomfortable to wear. It still needs to hit your wrist at the back or it won’t be comfortable imo. And have DK do some filigree or carving work that is cohesive with the shape)!

The other thing you can do to make it comfortably wearable and not like a forearm guard is to have the bracelet part have gaps, like 3 bands (around 0.5-0.75in thick each) that go all the way around your arm (at the top, middle and base) with visible gaps to show your skin. I hope this makes sense.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
So, I had a very detailed brooch with calibre converted by DK a few years back. I don't have it anymore. However, I will say that at least one of the calibre stones broke when he did the conversion and mine was less detailed than yours. I would... exercise caution. That's a tremendous amount of detail to work wtih and very intricate. Depending on how far he needs to curve it to fit your wrist... it could be.... yikes. I'm just being honest. I think it's a beautiful piece and a lovely idea, but I would hate to see it ruined.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait-
i can’t see the picture that well.
is there already a bunch of missing sapphire calibre?

what if a couple (not all) of the calibre lines were sacrificed and extended and made the brooch into smaller separate segments affixed on/set into a cuff, slightly spaced apart, instead of trying to curve the complete brooch?

then the existing sapphires could be used to plug into other missing areas?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Wait-

what if a couple (not all) of the calibre lines were sacrificed and extended and made the brooch into smaller separate segments on a cuff, slightly spaced apart, instead of trying to curve the complete brooch?

you are right. I zoomed in. At least almost two whole lines of missing calibre, plus more.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, what a glorious brooch, Mrsz1ppy. This cuff is going to be stunning no matter how it turns out.

Sending more healing thoughts and good wishes to you.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Wait-

what if a couple (not all) of the calibre lines were sacrificed and extended and made the brooch into smaller separate segments affixed on/set into a cuff, slightly spaced apart, instead of trying to curve the complete brooch?

I don't see a picture.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat and @Rfisher are these the two areas you are thinking have the missing stones? I thought it was just the lighting and not actually missing stones so am not sure which it is.
Screenshot 2023-10-31 140619.png

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@elizat and @Rfisher are these the two areas you are thinking have the missing stones? I thought it was just the lighting and not actually missing stones so am not sure which it is.
Screenshot 2023-10-31 140619.png

yes. I thought it looked like they were missing, as well as a few others if you look closely, but it could be the photo?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I certainly could be wrong.

It could very well be just a strange way the picture depicts it as looking like multiple areas are missing. :confused:

Eta
nah- went and watched dolly’s video shows it clearly as being vacant areas.

Last edited:

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
From the wellspring of bad ideas, don't bend it. Set it the long way, so it sits along the axis of your arm, maybe extending slightly (and seductively) onto your hand.

Yes to this. I want to see it. Good idea. Thanks!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Wait-

Yes, a bunch of calibre sapphire is missing. I had thought of hinging where the caliber lines are, but not this idea. Good thought.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve heard back from DK with the measurements. For now I’m going to have him fix the calibre and send it to me. I think I need to see it in person before deciding, although I really want a cuff.

Thank you for all of the nice comments.

Attachments

• IMG_1746.jpeg
    IMG_1746.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1747.jpeg
    IMG_1747.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1748.jpeg
    IMG_1748.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 48

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
I’m flattered and don’t mind a bit. Rock your own style and most importantly, have fun.

How about something like this? Perhaps the setting could minimize bending?

I checked out the videos too, gah, there are so many big rocks!!! This is such a great 1st world problem. I think it is smart to see it in person before making the final decision. Place it on your wrist and share with us, please. Vertical is a great idea but let’s see it on you first.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I’m flattered and don’t mind a bit. Rock your own style and most importantly, have fun.

How about something like this? Perhaps the setting could minimize bending?

I checked out the videos too, gah, there are so many big rocks!!! This is such a great 1st world problem. I think it is smart to see it in person before making the final decision. Place it on your wrist and share with us, please. Vertical is a great idea but let’s see it on you first.

Thank you! Good ideas as always.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@mrsZ1ppy‘s first post in this thread has it

Oops for some reason when Elizat was talking about her bracelet I thought she posted a pic as an example and that’s that it was referring to. Now I understand.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@Mrsz1ppy thinking of you and hoping your treatment is going okay.

Your new brooch is so exquisite! I hope that you can find a way to preserve it in its current form.

In the meanwhile, you DESERVE a Wonder Womanish cuff. I will keep an eye out for one like Neptune's beauty.

Here's the closest I could find right now...

Last edited:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope your treatment works well and you recover quickly and totally. You know what I'm going to say. That brooch is spectacular and if there is any hint of issues with making it into a cuff I would not do it. Personally I would have it fixed and wear it as is. It's just that gorgeous but then that's me. You need to do what you like with it.

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
@Mrsz1ppy thinking of you and hoping your treatment is going okay.

Your new brooch is so exquisite! I hope that you can find a way to preserve it in its current form.

In the meanwhile, you DESERVE a Wonder Womanish cuff. I will keep an eye out for one like Neptune's beauty.

Here's the closest I could find right now...

I totally agree with this - you definitely need a Wonder Woman cuff.

Good luck with your treatment - sending best wishes!

This is my version of that wonder woman cuff. I love it. Totally outside my budget possibility though

IMG_5794.jpeg

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
I thought of you when I saw this. Textured gold could be less distracting since you have a gigantic and dominant brooch...maybe?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results