shape
carat
color
clarity

Bi coloured sapphire anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anybody have one - bi or tri coloured sapphire? Would love to see your photos .............

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I don''t own one, but a lot of dealers in Sri Lanka were showing them to me - mainly blue to yellow. They call them ''marriage'' stones out there as they are two colours married together and they are very popular for wedding jewellery.

I must admit that they really weren''t my cup of tea even when the colours were both really good.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for that. I''ve bought two just recently (not expensive) but wondered if anybody had seen them in real life as mine haven''t arrived yet! I don''t hold out much hope for them being great but I wanted to satisfy my curiosity!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora is this the type of thing you were seeing? This is the seller''s photo and has been doctored but the accompanying video showed that the sapphire was very pretty and bright and all three colours very clear. If it''s rubbish when it arrives then I won''t be surprised or disappointed as it was cheap so it''ll just be relegated to a gem box!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Ohh that''s pretty! Even if it was cheap I would want one. I love bi-colored ametrine - someone here has a rainbow one that is just stunning.

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
I love it too!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2009 2:03:11 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Pandora is this the type of thing you were seeing? This is the seller''s photo and has been doctored but the accompanying video showed that the sapphire was very pretty and bright and all three colours very clear. If it''s rubbish when it arrives then I won''t be surprised or disappointed as it was cheap so it''ll just be relegated to a gem box!
Not really, the colours were very distinct from each other and then blended - a bit like watermelon tourmaline.

I saw stones that were one colour one side and another colour the other side, and then stones that were cut a bit like a bullseye where they were yellow in the centre progressing out to a blue at the edges.

I''ll be interested to see what that stone looks like in an undoctored photograph.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Monkey Pie and RParker.

They sound interesting Pandora - and perhaps a little more like the other one I bought at the same time. Here''s a photo of that one. IF it''s nice I will bezel set it in an LOGR setting to hide its lack of symmetry.

Here''s one for sale on Ebay so you can see the video in action so to speak - this one looks smokey at the edges however! It looks very much like the ones I''ve bought and as you can see the seller says its only gently heated.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330299347623

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if I would bezel it. You might lose out on the bi-color if you do that, and it might look more blue. The lighter color might fade a bit in the bezel.

With that ebay store, I think his videos are enhanced as well. I purchased a few things from him, and his videos always looked much brighter and more intense in color. I hope your luck was better than mine, and I'm glad I didn't spend a lot on anything through his store.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL I have absolutely no expectations for these! I always try to think the worse and then very occasionally I''m happily surprised! Who knows! I looked very carefully at the videos and (apart from the strong lighting) they didn''t look like some of his I''ve seen so ..... hopefully they''ll be here soon and I can post piccies and we can all have a good laugh!

I''ve got a bezel setting being made by LOGR at the moment so I''ll reserve judgement until I see it!!!!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
That looks more like them - although they look more sparkly and vivid in the video than I remember IRL.

I wouldn''t be suprised if they''re not heat-treated. I looked at some pieces of unheated sapphire rough which had distinct yellow and blue bands - and even some unheated blue sapphires I looked at, when I put them table down in a saucer of water you could see yellow patches that weren''t visible at all face up. It was fascinating.

Let us know what you think when they arrive.

I''ve never bought from that seller before - although I have occasionally bookmarked their stones just to see what they go for...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t have one but I agree I want one.
3.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here''s an interesting multicolor sapphire at wildfishgems Link

pps352-b.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
And there are the Australian parti sapphires. Link Here''s a pretty one.

S805_2_84cts.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for those links FlyGirl. The Australian one certainly looks similar doesn''t it?

I can''t wait to get my delivery now .......... !

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl, those are cool! LD, I can''t wait to see yours. Please do lots of pics!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2009 2:29:25 PM
Author: Catmom
Fly Girl, those are cool! LD, I can''t wait to see yours. Please do lots of pics!
I will but don''t hold your breath cos I bet they''re awful in real life! Never mind, it''ll give us all a giggle!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 4:22:34 PM
Author: Mungo
Here''s a nice one on Cherrypicked. (I bought my wife''s ruby there last year from Richard Orbach. Very good source to deal with.)

http://www.cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=2111
Hi Mungo. Welcome to the Colored Stones forum at PS. I''d love to hear more about your wife''s ruby. If you could start your own thread and show us some pictures, it would be great. I love rubies!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
UPDATE:

Well they arrived! Mixed feelings really.

The pear looks absolutely NOTHING like the picture and has a horrible window. In some lighting it looks just a dark blue/grey but in other lights it looks teal with a flash of yellow across the middle. Set, it will probably look ok but I probably won''t go down that route with this gemstone and as my assistant loves it, it may be a birthday pressie for her!

The round brilliant cut however is completely different. The colours are very similar to the picture. It''s clearly bi-coloured in all lighting conditions AND has the added bonus of being very very glittery. An irritation however is that it has a window. A good setting may hide it and I have a setting that might do the job.

I promise to take photos as soon as I''m at home in daylight - the UK seems to be permanently dark at the moment!

Would I recommend the Ebay seller? Not sure. The videos and photos are highly doctored. I certainly wouldn''t spend a lot of money on one of their gems but if something is cheap and worth a look, I might.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results