shape
carat
color
clarity

BGD bezels 0.6 ctw - studs or drops? Pics please!

inthegreen

Rough_Rock
So grateful I've found PS - just discovered it and having been stalking threads for hours; thank you for all the info! :mrgreen2:

These will be my first and likely only diamonds, for my 40th bday, (I'm pretty sure I'm the most casual person on this forum jewelry-wise; I have a wide plain WG wedding band and specifically asked for no e-ring because it's just not my style :eek2:) so I want to go all the way down the super ideal rabbit hole and make it count for these earrings in terms of cut but also something I can wear every day.

I like the BGD styles, and I'm between 0.6 ctw (0.3ct each) bezel studs (so I have the option of the 5mm jackets) versus the bezel drops. I'm pretty sure I'd be satisfied with 03ct each bezel studs based on the pics here and my ear size. If I were to do bezel drop danglers I'd maybe go a bit higher like up to 0.43 each or so as I wonder if a bit bigger would look better swinging as drops. Still trying to decide on milgrain. Thinking platinum as I'm a bit nickel sensitive and want lowest maintenance metal.

I know studs are way more classic, but day to day 99% of the time I reach for my lightweight, 3/4" or less hook danglers in opal or chalcedony. I get irritated by studs on my ears especially when they have to be tight to sit flush. I have long heavy hair but almost always wear it up. I would worry more about losing the drops, but would wear those little silicone tubes to help keep them secure.

These are the two styles I'm between:

I've found some picks of the BGD bezel studs on here (and by other brands to look at the size I'm thinking), but I haven't been able to find any photos of BGD bezel drops IRL. I would really appreciate seeing your pics if you have them please. Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure I'll be the underdog but I vote for drops. I hate putting diamond studs in. By the time I get them in I've had my fingers
all over them and feel like they are dirty. Matter of fact I had my 1ctw studs converted to lever backs. I actually which I had gone
with my original idea of shepherds hooks but the jeweler talked me into lever backs. They are fine but I think I would have liked
hooks better.

You might not have the dirty diamond issue that I feel like I have because yours will be in bezels. Mine were in 4 prong settings.

That's my 2 cents!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I love the bezel drops! And I agree with @tyty333 putting on studs is a task! Sometimes I'll take an alcohol wipe over the diamonds to try to remove my fingerprints.

inthegreen

Rough_Rock
Thank you tyty333 and bling_dream19!

That definitely makes drops more appealing as I'm sure my studs would be filthy every time as I'm always late for work / corralling my young kids and probably won't have time to be careful or wipe after.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I am apparently the one in the minority here! I do not care for drop earrings for me but this is personal preference and it seems to be the style you are drawn to. I like studs. However, I don’t understand the concept of them getting dirty when put on, I do not have this issue. I don’t know it if has to do with my finger size or the way the mountings are or the size, but I do not have this issue. Mine are WF ACAs, .911 ct (6.19mm) and .903 ct, (6.19mm). They are set in WF’s

Item: 6012
14k White Gold 3 prong "Martini" Diamond Earrings

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I agree with @tyty333 and @bling_dream19 -for me putting studs on is a task as well. In fact I thought I needed studs and was ready to pay a considerable amount for the ones I wanted but I am rethinking the whole thing.

And I just so happen to adore drop/dangle earrings as they are impactful and feminine. I am a dangle earring girl fwiw.

There is no right or wrong here as with all jewelry choices. It is what makes your heart sing. Once you figure that out you are good to go. There are lots of threads here to peruse to see what choice might suit you best.

HTH and enjoy the journey.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I don't wear studs because the backs irritates my ears and I end up with keloid scars. I prefer drops but that's my personal preference. Go with what you like, can't go wrong

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go with what you like, can't go wrong

I agree! Too bad my desires exceed my budget. These are my dream earrings. There is also zero chance of me ever purchasing these. :(

@inthegreen Adding this photo here to show you studs can take different forms. To me this is the most wearable form for studs. As a drop. Elegant. Simple. Timeless. As are studs themselves. So any form works as long as it works for you.

Of course as stud earrings these would be too large for my lobes haha.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like you already know what you want. ;)2 I would go with the studs, hands down. They are so versatile. I have 2 pair that I wear most days of the week. Sounds like you have sensitivity issues, though. I can’t speak to that, but you won’t wear earrings that are not comfortable! Post pics when you get them!

inthegreen

Rough_Rock
I agree! Too bad my desires exceed my budget. These are my dream earrings. There is also zero chance of me ever purchasing these. :(

gracedrops.jpg

@inthegreen Adding this photo here to show you studs can take different forms. To me this is the most wearable form for studs. As a drop. Elegant. Simple. Timeless. As are studs themselves. So any form works as long as it works for you.

those are gorgeous!!
Exactly, I’m thinking studs as drops; single diamonds with bezel.

inthegreen

Rough_Rock
It sounds like you already know what you want. ;)2 I would go with the studs, hands down. They are so versatile. I have 2 pair that I wear most days of the week. Sounds like you have sensitivity issues, though. I can’t speak to that, but you won’t wear earrings that are not comfortable! Post pics when you get them!

Yeah I think I do know ;)2
I do like the look of studs a tiny bit more but almost all studs are like an underwire bra to me after a few hours, can’t wait to get home and take off :lol-2:

inthegreen

Rough_Rock
Yes I agree with @tyty333 and @bling_dream19 -for me putting studs on is a task as well. In fact I thought I needed studs and was ready to pay a considerable amount for the ones I wanted but I am rethinking the whole thing.

And I just so happen to adore drop/dangle earrings as they are impactful and feminine. I am a dangle earring girl fwiw.

There is no right or wrong here as with all jewelry choices. It is what makes your heart sing. Once you figure that out you are good to go. There are lots of threads here to peruse to see what choice might suit you best.

HTH and enjoy the journey.

Thank you for your reply and thread links :)

inthegreen

Rough_Rock
I am apparently the one in the minority here! I do not care for drop earrings for me but this is personal preference and it seems to be the style you are drawn to. I like studs. However, I don’t understand the concept of them getting dirty when put on, I do not have this issue. I don’t know it if has to do with my finger size or the way the mountings are or the size, but I do not have this issue. Mine are WF ACAs, .911 ct (6.19mm) and .903 ct, (6.19mm). They are set in WF’s

Item: 6012
14k White Gold 3 prong "Martini" Diamond Earrings

those sound gorgeous!

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'd say go for the drops! And I just love a milgrain bezel earring!!

One consideration - do you have an opportunity to try on multiple sizes (either in store, or via ordering fauxs for learning purposes) to get very clear on your preferred size? You may find you want to lean into your future size given the settings you're choosing are perhaps 1/3 of the total budget and difficult to reset should you want to upgrade in the future.

Lovely project! Can't wait to see the swinging beauties

inthegreen

Rough_Rock
Thanks tuckie!
So even since I posted I’ve gone up in preferred size :lol-2: I’ve got my eye on 0.63/0.62 vs 0.711/0.706 pairs. I think these coming in between 5.5-5.7mm diameter without bezels and a bit over 6mm with bezels will be a good size. Yes I totally agree with you on ideally trying on - however I’m in small town Canada and the big chain store in the mall here has nothing close to these in style based on their online inventory.

I do have some silver drops with little silver discs that measure 6.5mm that I think look good so fingers crossed it works out and the platinum isn’t too heavy!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

gracedrops.jpg

These are just perfect @missy . I am hoping that someday these will be yours.

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks tuckie!
So even since I posted I’ve gone up in preferred size :lol-2: I’ve got my eye on 0.63/0.62 vs 0.711/0.706 pairs. I think these coming in between 5.5-5.7mm diameter without bezels and a bit over 6mm with bezels will be a good size. Yes I totally agree with you on ideally trying on - however I’m in small town Canada and the big chain store in the mall here has nothing close to these in style based on their online inventory.

I do have some silver drops with little silver discs that measure 6.5mm that I think look good so fingers crossed it works out and the platinum isn’t too heavy!

I think you’ll be very happy with that size.

I myself have a pair of martini studs that are each .63 / 5.6mm. I think it’s a perfect size for daily wear - I have worn them almost daily for four years

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results