shape
carat
color
clarity

BFF is looking for a nice 1ct rose cut!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be sure to tell them rose cuts are like a window.
They let you see the finger/skin/hair below the diamond just like a piece of glass.

You can prevent this by putting metal there, but then you'll be staring built-up dirt that's nearly impossible to reach to clean well.

Still want one?
Go for it.
At least you now know what to expect.

It's funny how some people love that windowing feature of rose cuts! My friend has seen them in person and loves seeing her finger through it! Me, I would hate that...

Thanks for making sure she was aware :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure.
People are different, but I just wanted to make sure she knew about that!
Good luck.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure.
People are different, but I just wanted to make sure she knew about that!
Good luck.

You're right to do so! Rose cuts are so unique that way. And thanks!

I'll keep you guys posted.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting. I'm not 100% sure I understand, but it sounds intriguing!

I'd say that a double rose cut 50 -ish % deep may not trully window at all - depending on other details of the cut, there will always be - some - reflections off the back of the stone.

Even in flat bottom rose cuts - the flickering reflections off high-domed ones cut with more factes, eventually distract me from the see-through. Fine, small rose cuts make sense this way.

This is an unreasonable example of a fairly bright double rose:

http://www.sothebys.com/es/auctions/ecatalogue/2012/magnificent-jewels-and-noble-jewels/lot.595.html

Not sure where the reasonable ones are !

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say that a double rose cut 50 -ish % deep may not trully window at all - depending on other details of the cut, there will always be - some - reflections off the back of the stone.

Even in flat bottom rose cuts - the flickering reflections off high-domed ones cut with more factes, eventually distract me from the see-through. Fine, small rose cuts make sense this way.

This is an unreasonable example of a fairly bright double rose:

http://www.sothebys.com/es/auctions/ecatalogue/2012/magnificent-jewels-and-noble-jewels/lot.595.html

Not sure where the reasonable ones are !

Cool!!! I had never seen such a thing! How would you even set it? Interesting.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be sure to tell them rose cuts are like a window.

You remind me how I got to understand these things: handling the delivery of a diamond window for a related lab. Of course, I got to see the treasure: a slice of highly pure natural diamond, some 20 mm diameter (irregular contour) and perhaps 1 mm thick, astonishingly perfect polish (cleaved ?). The object was indescribably, nothing-there transparent !

I have paid attention to rose cut diamonds because of that one, but they are something else. A few diamond windows happen (famously, Viren Bhagat's) - however, I suspect that these are rarefied industrials rather than anything ...

Just a story to tell. Not expecting to pass this particular 'bug'.

Last edited:

thumbelina

Shiny_Rock
This is wrt to the double rose cut... I love rose cuts, but when I saw one in person I wasn't crazy about the "window" aspect and put them out of my mind. But then I saw the double rose cut and it had the sparkle I was looking for.

**edited by moderator, no links to moissanite websites**. I'm actually going to get one of these for my old setting and use it as a travel ring. (Here's the link to my old setting.) I travel a little for work, and I have the worst luck with losing jewelry while traveling. I would cry for weeks and weeks if I lost my upgrade ring!! I think the rose cut stone in my vintage-y floral setting would be very pretty.

Last edited by a moderator:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: she has found the diamond for her!!!!!! Details soon. But for now, she is wondering if she should send it to GIA to get it appraised. Currently the diamond is uncerted, but the seller would get it locally appraised prior to the sale.

Thoughts? I know rose cuts are their own separate ball game.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree and also disagree with Kenny- i had a piece of high polish gold put behind my rose cut but put cutouts on the side for cleaning. It gave me the best of both worlds. I LOVE rose cuts, I HATE the look of my skin showing through a diamond. i will post a few pics.

Re: appraisal. It's really up to her. What size did she end up getting?

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
hopefully you can see the holes on the side. they are discreet but were exactly what i needed. As she is designing her setting have her keep all options in mind.

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 10.39.28 AM.png

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0162.JPG IMG_0163.PNG IMG_0164.PNG IMG_0165.PNG IMG_0166.PNG IMG_0167.PNG IMG_0168.PNG 1.22ct, 7.41mm F VS1

Woo woo!

Also... she really really loves seeing her finger through the stone. Dollyanjuli, I think your setting is PERFECTION but my friend will probably not be putting a metal plate behind the stone. Different strokes for different folks!

Re: appraisal - is there any reason she should not send the stone to GIA? I think she'd be happy enough to just not, but she wants to make sure she's doing everything she should.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's looking for someone to make the setting. David Klass is my top recommendation. Anyone else I should consider suggesting?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results