shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel vs. Prong Setting for F/SI/AGS 000/1.1 carat?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

neely19

Rough_Rock
Would you get a Bezel or Prong setting regarding a 1.1 Carat/F/SI/AGS 000 cut? I don''t want to get a great diamond and have it not sparkle as it should. It is going to be set in a split shank pave setting with diamonds circling the center stone. I have a bezel in mind but am concerned that this setting won''t show off the center stone as well as a prong setting...

Help please!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bezel is a rather specific look. Does your girlfriend like that style? If not (or if you''re not sure) I would suggest you take the safer route and go with a prong setting.

Do you have a picture of the style you''re thinking of?

neely19

Rough_Rock
Don''t have a picture but it is a "Halo Setting".

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 10:09:40 PM
Author:neely19
Would you get a Bezel or Prong setting regarding a 1.1 Carat/F/SI/AGS 000 cut? I don''t want to get a great diamond and have it not sparkle as it should. It is going to be set in a split shank pave setting with diamonds circling the center stone. I have a bezel in mind but am concerned that this setting won''t show off the center stone as well as a prong setting...

so you are going to do a halo setting and you are basically deciding whether the stone should be set up in prongs or bezel set in the halo?
I think setting a stone in a halo bezel definitely adds size to the whole look of the ring.

neely19

Rough_Rock
I''m worried more about sparkle than size - want delicate - not too gaudy.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the difference would not be very noticeable, especially at casual viewing.

I'll vote for bezel, though.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
do a search for halos- there are a lot of them out there- some that have the center stone prong set, some that have them bezel set.
Here are some threads on this same issue - same question as you
another person w/ more pics for comparison
and another one

I am actually working on an OEC halo pendant right now, and I am having the stone bezel set to protect the girdle- not that it would get banged around in a necklace the way it would in a ring, but bezel set there are no prongs to catch on anything, also the bezel setting is a little cleaner looking. If the stone is so well cut you probably won''t lose much if any sparkle.

neely19

Rough_Rock
Thanks much DTNYC! That helped a bunch...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote bezel set in a halo. I don''t think your kickin stone will sparkle any less
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I set my asscher in a halo bezel setting. The bezel has a nice clean look to it, and the halo made it look much bigger, so that was a plus!!! Good luck, looking forward to seeing some pics!!!!
1.gif

DBM

Shiny_Rock
I''m no cut expert but I would think that a bezel limits light from entering into the stones from the sides and hence lessens the sparkle. you paid for an AGS 0 so it would seem to me to be counterproductive to then set it into a bezel if in fact it dimishes light return. maybe i''m mistaken.

you can still go with halo and just have the center stone with prongs if you like the halo look

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
The rubover or bezel setting does have the added advantage of being more secure over a longer period of time.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2006 12:39:52 AM
Author: DBM
I'm no cut expert but I would think that a bezel limits light from entering into the stones from the sides and hence lessens the sparkle. you paid for an AGS 0 so it would seem to me to be counterproductive to then set it into a bezel if in fact it dimishes light return. maybe i'm mistaken.

you can still go with halo and just have the center stone with prongs if you like the halo look
It is not one directional. Light that can come in through the bottom and out the top means that light can come in from the top and out through the bottom. Or something like that.

I guess it would be interesting to see an ASET pavilion view in a prong head, then overlap with the top. Still trying to figure out how it would work.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/8/2006 1:14:35 AM
Author: JulieN

Date: 12/8/2006 12:39:52 AM
I''m no cut expert but I would think that a bezel limits light from entering into the stones from the sides and hence lessens the sparkle. you paid for an AGS 0 so it would seem to me to be counterproductive to then set it into a bezel if in fact it dimishes light return. maybe i''m mistaken.

It is not one directional. Light that can come in through the bottom and out the top means that light can come in from the top and out through the bottom. Or something like that.

I guess it would be interesting to see an ASET pavilion view in a prong head, then overlap with the top. Still trying to figure out how it would work.

not sure i understand what you mean. light coming in from the top in a well cut diamond shouldn''t be coming out the bottom. but also isn''t it true that light comes into the diamond from all around, including the sides?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2006 2:00:36 AM
not sure i understand what you mean. light coming in from the top in a well cut diamond shouldn't be coming out the bottom. but also isn't it true that light comes into the diamond from all around, including the sides?
No problem as long as there is light from the top.

What type of stone would you put into a bezel, Daniel?

colurrrs.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
for fun

"I like the way you do it right thurr, right thurr."

tubeMonsturrr.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you stone is well-cut most of the light entering from the top should exit through the top, and this makes me think the bezel won''t matter much. I think a bezel/halo looks sleeker and more delicate than a prong/halo. Please come back and show us pics when she says yes!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what it''s worth, I prefer prong set rounds in halos. Here''s a beautiful example:

maytalR-rbpave (4).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results