shape
carat
color
clarity

Halo setting: bezel or prong?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

recran

Rough_Rock
Alrighty folks, I think I''ve decided what I want for my first diamond e-ring: a WhiteFlash Expert Selection 1.2ish in a halo setting.
18.gif

There are two halo settings thru WhiteFlash which both look really good to me.

My first instinct is to pick the bezel set one because it''s most similar to the Ritani Endless Love that I love and it''s probably easier to wear than the prong set one. But will the diamond look better in the prong setting than in the bezel setting? If I''m going to get such a beautiful stone, I''d hate to not let it shine and sparkle as much as it wants to. Advice? Experience? Thanks!

WFhalobezel.jpg

recran

Rough_Rock
Follow up: If you have one of these rings: what wedding band goes with it?!

E B

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the bezel setting, mostly because I like clean lines and simplicity. The prong set is beautiful, though.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Having seen and worn both of those settings, I liked the bezel set better than the prong because I don''t like how the prong sticks up and out of the setting, I''m sure I''d be banging that thing to kingdom come. Both sparkled just as nicely (serious bling bling!!!) so I''d vote for the bezel.

I''ll also dig out the picture of both on my hand, or maybe it was one on my hand and one on Al''s...but anyway, they were both great in person.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here are the two on the hand. you can easily see which one is prong and which is bezel. one other thing i did not like about the prong set one is that the ''line'' of where the diamond ends and the bezel begins is blurred because there is no line. so it was not as ''symmetrical'' for my eye. but it''s just a preference thing.

bezel WF halo comparisons on hand c.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s one of my fave shots, the two of them side by side throwing of mega sparklies.

wf two bezels side by side with sparkles c.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and here is the bezel set one on the hand. i loved it and im not in the market for an e-ring but i would love this as a RHR!!

oh ETA that the stones in both of these settings were something like 1.05c G's.

wf bezel halo without prongs on hand 3.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the bezel better, but i''ve not seen either in person. I saw the Ritani and it was stunning so i''m sure the WF ring would be the same way.

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
I also prefer the bezel setting! It just looks more fluid/not as chunky as the prong set IMO. I don''t like how the prongs/diamond stick up above the rest of the setting in the prong set. A 1.2ish Whiteflash Expert Selection in the bezel halo setting would be yummy!
18.gif

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Mara posted the "real life" pictures while I was typing my post...they confirm my choice!
30.gif

recran

Rough_Rock
Whoa! Thanks for the pics, Mara! That thing is seriously blingy!
30.gif
I am now totally convinced on the bezel setting!
emteeth.gif

Background on me: DH got me an emerald ering cuz it''s what I wanted for a few years when I had this crazy notion that I didn''t like diamonds. Obviously, I changed my mind! I ideally want a bigger rock (like, 2.5-3 carats) in a simpler setting. BUT I have loved the Ritani EL for a while and thought that I could get a really pretty starter diamond in an awesome setting to tide me over for several years. I esp. like the halo setting cuz it takes up so much space on my finger.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I love the comparison between the two.

recran

Rough_Rock
Any advice re a band? Would this little pave Hidalgo band work?

Or is non-pave good?

Or do I need something more substantial? If it helps, my ring size is 5.5.

recran

Rough_Rock
Trying that again... Any advice re a band? Would this little pave Hidalgo band work?

Or is non-pave good?

Or do I need something more substantial? If it helps, my ring size is 5.5.

rockaholic

Rough_Rock
Hi recran,

I think both bands are beautiful and would look great with the e-ring you selected. Have you considered a ring that has a channel setting? I was thinking that may match the band on the e-ring more....?

~rockaholic~

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i really like the wedding band and ering to match. i''d probably have WF make a band exactly like the shank in the e-ring.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I''m gonna go against the majority and say I prefer the prong setting...I actually DON''T like how there''s a big line in between the center stone and the halo on the bezel. I think the prong one looks much more organic and...floral? But I would be a little concerned about how far up it holds the center stone. So to summarize: they''re both gorgeous, get whichever one you feel like!
5.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote bezel ... and I think a poster on here named Treysar has a similar ring with a wedding band that curves around the halo. Hopefully she'll check in & post her ring ... or someone else with easy access to the pix!!

ETA: don't mix & match bands .. get the band from Whiteflash too & maybe have it curved like Treysar's! JMHO!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bezel hands down and get WF to make you a matching band. It''s a beautiful ring.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree that I prefer the bezel setting, although both are gorgeous. It just looks "cleaner" to me and probably safer. Mara's pictures perfectly capture the looks of both of them--what a great help in making the decision. Also, like kaleigh said, you should talk to WF about making you a matching band. Good luck!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the bezel too...I feel like such a follower
2.gif
It is just a cleaner more elegant look IMHO. I too would suggest white flash to make your band so you can ensure that they will match and fit together.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I am considering a halo ering for my 25 year upgrade next year. (I told my hubby he could kill two birds with one stone and give it to me for Christmas ha ha) I have always liked bezel set rings but wonder if less light would get to the diamond if it''s not set with prongs.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I''ve tried both of these on in person and they are both stunning! I prefer the prongs, buts its a personal preference. Also the bands on these are super thin. You can''t go wrong either way.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely bezel, but I have a custom halo bezel from WF. I have a split shank and you can clearly see the bottom of my diamond from all sides, so there is lots of light! And, it the bezel doesn''t catch on anything unlike my prong set rings!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
From above I like the prong setting from the side I like the bezel becuase it is flush. I am no help at all.
2.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I like the look of the prong set one from the side, but I like the bezel from the top view! I''d be thrilled with either one.

Ask whiteflash about your wedding band. I''m sure they could recommend something. Actually, I think halos are perfect as standalone rings, but that''s a personal preference.

Can''t wait to hear what you decide!
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll be the voice of dissent.
9.gif
I really prefer the prong setting over the bezel setting. It's funny, but for the same reasons Mara likes the bezel, I prefer the prong. She posted some really good pictures and to my eye, (and it was my experience when I tried to bezel set my pear) the stone looks slightly smaller when bezel set than when prong set (see first picture Mara posted with the rings on the hand). I'm not sure if those two rings had the same size stones, but I know my stone appeared much smaller when it was bezel set. Second, I prefer that the fluidity between the center stone and the halo be there as opposed to the metal bezel.

I don't however, like how high the prongs come above the halo, but that is totally fixable - at least, my prongs don't nearly come up that high over my halo.

Anyway, voice of dissent here!!!
35.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s treysar''s ring set
30.gif

band%20009.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love treysars set. it looks to me from the WF pics that a wedding band would be able to sit underneath the halo or pretty flush with the e-ring. for those who have seem them, is this true? that way she wouldn''t necessarily have to have a curved band..

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I''m another one in the minority -- I like the prongs. But that is not to say I don''t like the bezel because I really do. It''s just a personal preference. I like the way the center stone flows into the halo on the pronged ring. Funny thing is, for a pendant I would prefer the bezel. Sorry I''m so wishy-washy.
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results