shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel/Semi Bezel for OEC diamond? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CBL

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hey all,

I''''m new, but have been lurking for a while looking for ideas--you are all so sweet and knowledgeable; I hope you can help me out! I have a 1 carat European cut diamond that my husband inherited. He very sweetly had it set onto a similarly vintage eternity band that I already owned, and I''''ve worn that for almost two years now (pic is attached--sorry for the poor quality). Neither of us knew anything about diamonds when we got engaged, so I guess we kind of took the easy route.

It''''s absolutely beautiful and I get many compliments on it. However, I have a couple of problems with it. First of all, I''''m a nurse, and an athlete, and a general destroyer of all things expensive. Every piece of this ring is circa 1920s and quite delicate, and I''''m terrified I''''m going to ruin it. Secondly, I recently cracked and bent part of the band (currently getting that fixed), and that was kind of a wake-up call.

So I''''ve been seriously considering getting it reset in something safer, and sturdier. I never really thought about bezel settings but frankly, this is THE diamond that I ever want to wear (it''''s an heirloom, you know?) and I want to protect it. I''''ve read elsewhere on this message board that bezels or semi-bezels are safer, so I''''m now heading that route.

I found one Sholdt setting that I really love (http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/sholdt-jewelry/rings/31ZZ1/) but does it have enough coverage to adequately protect the diamond? I like the semi-bezels because they allow more of the stone to show...I also love that setting because of the small but not overwhelming diamonds accenting the sides. I think halos are pretty but maybe a little too gaudy for me...I want something more than a simple solitaire, but not TOO blingy.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, including ideas for how to go about procuring this setting...not sure I want to go custom because of the price, but I have no idea how to get a good deal online, either. So basically, I''''m clueless! Help!!!

Thanks much, CBL

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the setting you picked out would be great for protecting the stone. Usually people knock their ring on the sides and this would be protected with the setting. In addition, your current setting has the diamond set fairly high, which is less protective than setting the stone lower. The sholdt looks like it''s set quite a bit lower.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi CBL,

Your ring is lovely! I can understand wanting to change though, it''s not a stone you can replace.

I''m thinking that setting "may" not give the diamond the protection it needs. Especially if the girdle is rather thin, which would not be unusual on an older stone.

Have you seen the antique threads? Lots of pics of old stones, many which have been reset. It might give you some other ideas. If you found something you like, we could recommend some jewelers who might be able to duplicate at a reasonable price. Not sure what your budget is though, so don''t hold me to that!
9.gif
2.gif

See what ya think.

Part 1

Part 2

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
I just love antique cut stones! I recently acquired one for my e-ring upgrade (yet to post pics--waiting on my photographer husband...*sigh*:)). They just have such a great look, and I know what you mean about wanting to preserve them well! I don''t know what your budget is like, but, James Meyer does beautiful bezel settings that highlight the stone and look especially fabulous with antique stones:

http://www.jamesmeyerjewelry.com/engage_rings.htm

If I had gotten a bezel, I would have gotten it through him. You can search him on here and see a lot of his finished work. Good luck and please keep us posted!!
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 6:50:55 PM
Author: soycoffee
I just love antique cut stones! I recently acquired one for my e-ring upgrade (yet to post pics--waiting on my photographer husband...*sigh*:)). They just have such a great look, and I know what you mean about wanting to preserve them well! I don''t know what your budget is like, but, James Meyer does beautiful bezel settings that highlight the stone and look especially fabulous with antique stones:

If I had gotten a bezel, I would have gotten it through him. You can search him on here and see a lot of his finished work. Good luck and please keep us posted!!
36.gif
Ellen raises an important point about the other sides of the ring. The james meyer settings are gorgeous and with a full bezel you are really getting a lot of protection!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 6:50:55 PM

36.gif

Great suggestion! Jim''s rings all look like gorgeous heirloom pieces to me - perfectly complementary with an OEC IMO. I love that you''d still get that vintage/heirloom look with a much safer setting
1.gif

CBL

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Oh my lord, this is going to become an obsession--and it started out so innocently!

Ellen, thank you! I looked through the antique threads, and here is my problem with (some) antique rings--they are just a bit too ornate for me. They''re beautiful, but I think the reason I like the Sholdt so much is that it''s so clean and simple. Maybe it''s a problem that I have an antique stone and prefer the more modern settings?

I actually do really love the James Meyer settings; my feeling is that custom work from him would be outside my budget, but I''m not really sure. ''Budget'' is not a well-defined word in my case, anyway; it''s not like I have much discretionary cash, but at the same time, I want a setting that lasts. Anyway, I just emailed Jim so we will find out if that''s worth pursuing!

From browsing I actually found a halo I like-it''s from Blue Nile: http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_7813?filter_id=1&collection_id=236. The thing is, it''s prong set, not bezel. I haven''t seen very many simple ones like that, where there is the ''halo'' of diamonds, but the shank isn''t also covered in diamonds.

Ack, I can tell this will end up being a process!

23.gif

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
I have always loved that Bluenile setting, too! But, they won''t just send you the setting, and they won''t set a stone in it that isn''t theirs. So, I guess you could have it custom made if you like it a lot!

Would you consider someone on etsy? I''m having mine made by Sally and her team at Heart of Water Jewels, she does really beautiful and ornate settings. She also has a pretty pillbox bezel setting, and would probably do custom work for you. Her prices are fabulous, to boot.

And, whiteflash does really nice settings. There are some nice bezels on his website worth checking out!

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
A couple links (not sure how to make them clickable...*sigh*)

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Corazon-Half-Round-Diamond-Engagement-Ring_1340.htm#
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/True-Love-Diamond-Engagement-Ring_1394.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Endless-Love-Diamond-Engagement-Ring_1395.htm

CBL

Shiny_Rock
Trade
soycoffee, thanks for all your input!! I hadn''t thought about Etsy. I guess because I''m kind of a newbie to jewelry, and because this stone is like, the most valuable thing I own, I figured I should stick to something/someone I know of, or that someone recommended to me...

But really, I know nothing! So I''m open to all suggestions, and this whole process is growing more interesting (and complicated) by the hour. :)

I like those whiteflash settings a lot but they are maybe a little too plain...I know, I''m ridiculous! They actually have two bezel set halos that are beautiful, that I like, but it''s so TOUGH to even think about committing when I can''t even see them in person!!

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/-Ring-Of-Light--Diamond-Engagement-Ring_1368.htm#

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Halo-Bezel-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-By-WF_940.htm

I know some people on here have seen the second--has anyone seen the first setting in person?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 9:33:41 PM
I have always loved that Bluenile setting, too! But, they won't just send you the setting, and they won't set a stone in it that isn't theirs. So, I guess you could have it custom made if you like it a lot!

Would you consider someone on etsy? I'm having mine made by Sally and her team at Heart of Water Jewels, she does really beautiful and ornate settings. She also has a pretty pillbox bezel setting, and would probably do custom work for you. Her prices are fabulous, to boot.

And, whiteflash does really nice settings. There are some nice bezels on his website worth checking out!
That was indeed their policy, but in helping another poster recently, who also just wanted a setting from them, I found this info. So maybe they have changed their policy?

Anyway, it's worth a call CB if you're interested. And I do understand you wanting a simpler setting, I'm a pretty simple gal myself. I do like JM's settings too. And yes, it's always a "process", no matter how innocent it starts out.
9.gif

http://www.bluenile.com/services.jsp

Sale of Settings Without Center Diamonds

If you would like to purchase a setting without a center diamond, simply contact one of our Diamond and Jewelry Consultants at [email protected] or 800-242-2728.

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
Ellen,

I was setting shopping recently and came across that same phrase on bluenile--it only applies to some of their settings, unfortunately. I wrote and asked specifically about the cirque setting and they said it isn''t available. Sad though, it is so pretty!
38.gif

CBL

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hmm, that''s unfortunate about the Blue Nile setting. Perhaps I will give them a call to clarify the reasoning behind that.

I saw on another thread that someone was thinking about removing the diamonds from the shank of the WF halo bezel (http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Halo-Bezel-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-By-WF_940.htm#). I guess that''s a possibility but wish I could see how it would look--for some reason I just love the Blue Nile one.

I contacted James Meyer (who got right back to me) and he is unfortunately (for me, not for him) on vacation until May 12th. But he gave me a very general sort of quote on one of his settings (http://www.jamesmeyerjewelry.com/pieces/1345.htm) and it''s pretty reasonable....what do you think of something like that? I kind of wish it had a few diamond accents in the shank to ''spice it up'' a bit, but it is very lovely.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:54:50 PM
Author: CBL

I contacted James Meyer (who got right back to me) and he is unfortunately (for me, not for him) on vacation until May 12th. But he gave me a very general sort of quote on one of his settings (http://www.jamesmeyerjewelry.com/pieces/1345.htm) and it''s pretty reasonable....what do you think of something like that? I kind of wish it had a few diamond accents in the shank to ''spice it up'' a bit, but it is very lovely.

that James Meyer setting you linked is very popular here on PS. Honestly, If I had an old stone I would set it in that setting in a heartbeat. then you could add a thin diamond wedding band to spice it up.

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
I think that would be perfect, that''s what I picture for antique stones! If it is reasonable and you like it, you should go for it! I bet you won''t be disappointed.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 9:05:40 AM
Ellen,

I was setting shopping recently and came across that same phrase on bluenile--it only applies to some of their settings, unfortunately. I wrote and asked specifically about the cirque setting and they said it isn't available. Sad though, it is so pretty!
38.gif
soy, thanks for the info. Is there any rhyme or reason as to which you can buy seperately?

CB, I do love that setting. I had a thought, since you mentioned some "spice" maybe. I would suggest contacting this company. I don't know how much you've read here, but the owners used to be partnered with an online company, but have since gone out on their own. I have worked/gotten quotes with Lesley, one of the owners, several times. She is one of the nicest people you could ever work with, bar none. They do custom work, so you could possibly get exactly what you want. You'd just need to show them that setting and let them know what else you'd like, but I would imagine they could do it, if the price is right. Anywho, just thought I'd throw this out as a possiblity!

http://www.brianthecutter.com/

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was going to suggest James Meyer as well.

He seems to be very open to custom work, so if you'd like to add diamond or gemstone accents, I'm sure there would be a way to add them into the design. I think I've seen a couple of his settings recently that had sidestones, actually!
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 7:25:25 PM
Author: musey
I was going to suggest James Meyer as well.

He seems to be very open to custom work, so if you''d like to add diamond or gemstone accents, I''m sure there would be a way to add them into the design. I think I''ve seen a couple of his settings recently that had sidestones, actually!
1.gif
Oh, good to know! I didn''t.
9.gif

CBL

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ellen, thanks for the idea! I sent a message to Brian the cutter, so we will see what they say!

I''m kind of becoming obsessed with this whole James Meyer idea...I will just be interested to see what the price turns into if I want to customize. Like I said, he won''t be back in the states for almost a month so I will have to wait on more info from him...grrr, I''m already getting impatient. :) What do y''all think about Eng-G, at the bottom of this page: http://www.jamesmeyerjewelry.com/engage_rings.htm? I LOVE the light blue sapphires.

Does anyone have pictures of their James Meyer piece? I wanna see more!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
there''s a thread of James Meyer rings

here

CBL

Shiny_Rock
Trade
mrssalvo, thanks for that thread....seems there''s no shortage of JM fans on here and with good reason--his stuff is absolutely gorgeous.

I dunno, I''m becoming obsessed. I guess I might just have to wait until he gets back and go from there...Coati''s ring is just too beautiful. I want it! Although I know it wouldn''t be quite so dramatic with a 1 ct stone. But still, so clean, simple, and stunning.

CBL

Shiny_Rock
Trade

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That CM is really pretty! There are a few there that I can''t stop looking at. I''ve gotten prices on 2 settings and both were very reasonable-why don''t you email them and ask about that setting?

CBL

Shiny_Rock
Trade
ring seeker, I do really like that setting and it kind of reminds me of ANOTHER setting I found that I am now obsessed with, it''s a Caleb Meyer: http://www.calebmeyer.com/detail.php?id=40872.

I think this might be the perfect setting...it''s a full bezel, it''s airy and open under the stone and I love the accenting diamonds! I got a quote and it was fairly reasonable...

I might do it! Maybe! Just have to talk myself into it. Wish me luck!

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
It is tough decide, eh? Personally, when I found the "right" setting, I just HAD To have it. End of story. But, funny enough, I had pictured that setting and looked for it before, to no avail. Then, all of a sudden, I just found it by happenstance at the right time. So, when you find the right one, you will know. At least when you see it in person, it will just feel right.

My personal taste is that I prefer the caleb meyer setting to the most recent one you posted--but either would be gorgeous!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 5:00:36 PM
ring seeker, I do really like that setting and it kind of reminds me of ANOTHER setting I found that I am now obsessed with, it''s a Caleb Meyer: http://www.calebmeyer.com/detail.php?id=40872.

I think this might be the perfect setting...it''s a full bezel, it''s airy and open under the stone and I love the accenting diamonds! I got a quote and it was fairly reasonable...

I really like this one!
bat%20eyes3.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 6:39:35 AM
Author: Ellen
Date: 4/16/2009 5:00:36 PM

I really like this one!
bat%20eyes3.gif

ooo, that one is so pretty too!!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Wow both the caleb meyer and the james meyer are beautiful. I think the lower setting and bezel will definitely suit your lifestyle better. I avoided pave for that very reason, even though I love the look of it. Enjoy your search, what a fun project
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results